Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man Dancer posted:

Still looking for advice (general, not specific/spoily unless it is on the order of "be careful you only get one chance to do X" on System Shock 1, but now I'm looking for a similar class of advice on The Dark Spire, too!

System Shock is pretty straight forward. There's no advancement like SS2 and the game is pretty linear. If you want to get through certain areas you have to lower security so destroy every camera and computer node you come across. Keep in mind some levels can't be beaten on your first pass and enemies never stop respawning so don't waste ammo trying to clear out a level.

Dark Spire's first two floors are pretty annoying because you get crap experience but passed that enemies drop a ton so don't worry about grinding at the very beginning. Like in every CRPG, sleep is your most useful spell so abuse it when fighting tough monsters. Finally, don't save scum to get high hp. The game balances your hp based on level. If you get poor hp one level it'll give you 10x that amount the next to make up for it. You can't avoid this either so don't be frustrated if you get 2 hit points at level 2 and then 20 hit points at level 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

danifestmestny posted:

Fallout 3

Intelligence is by far the most useful stat. Charisma is probably the least useful. When building your character, don't max out any of your SPECIAL stats, as there are a few ways in the game to increase them and you can't go over 10.

Each of the weapon skills has its drawbacks and advantages. You can't go wrong with boosting Small Guns for the early game, then putting points into Big Guns or Energy Weapons for the later levels when you're swimming in money.

Make sure your Luck is at least 5 so you can get the Scrounger perk, as it rapidly eliminates any problems you may be having with ammo scarcity.

Broken Steel is a pretty good content pack!

Man Dancer posted:

System Shock 1

Don't fire the mining lasers. Or at least save your file before you do.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
Thanks for the help on Fallout 3 and keep it coming. I'm going into the game totally blind beyond knowing that it's an incredibly popular game so I can use all the advice I can get.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

danifestmestny posted:

Thanks for the help on Fallout 3 and keep it coming.

Having your light on makes you less stealthy. Having your radio on doesn't make any difference.

To contradict what a previous poster said, I would suggest going to Rivet City'sScience Lab before Galaxy News Radio. The jump in the main quest is incredibly small, and Three Dog will offer you a different reward for doing his quest: instead of info on your dad's whereabouts, he'll give you a key to a weapons cache you can't otherwise get.

If you find a weapon with a funny name, it's unique and likely does more damage and/or is more likely to inflict a critical hit. Be careful not to use it to repair a normal version of that weapon!

The game doesn't tell you this outright, but you take much less damage while attacking in VATS mode, and are a lot more likely to inflict critical hits. However, it causes your weapon to degrade three times as fast.

The perk Bloody Mess isn't really worth it, and you'll get tired of the bodies exploding.

The perk Swift Learner really isn't worth it. There's plenty of XP to earn, and no rush to make it to the level cap.

Generally speaking, perks that only add skill points aren't much good.

In the vast majority of cases, you have nothing to lose by attempting a Speech check, and stand to gain a small amount of XP along with whatever you're trying to persuade someone into doing. So I'd say go for any line of dialogue that starts with [Speech, X%], no matter how small the percentage chance of success.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 28, 2009

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

danifestmestny posted:

Thanks for the help on Fallout 3 and keep it coming. I'm going into the game totally blind beyond knowing that it's an incredibly popular game so I can use all the advice I can get.

The two best DLC are Point Lookout and Broken Steel. Broken Steel fixes some design problems with the ending and raises the level cap while Point Lookout adds a whole other area to play in. While its not as big as the Capital Wasteland its huge and totally worth the cost.

No matter what you'll want to pick up Broken Steel. Although you might want to wait until you actually beat the game or are almost there.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Make sure your Luck is at least 5 so you can get the Scrounger perk, as it rapidly eliminates any problems you may be having with ammo scarcity.

I could probably say a lot about this game but I'm getting ready for bed. I mostly wanted to elaborate about this.

Ammo has no carry weight so it essentially doubles as currency. No matter what weapons you're using, take all the ammo you can from anything. If you have to sell fifty sets of armor and the vendor is out of cash, buy ammo. You'll likely lose some money in the conversion but it's better than nothing. Alternatively: stimpacks are always useful.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Having your light on makes you less stealthy. Having your radio on doesn't make any difference.

To contradict what a previous poster said, I would suggest going to Rivet City'sScience Lab before Galaxy News Radio. The jump in the main quest is incredibly small, and Three Dog will offer you a different reward for doing his quest: instead of info on your dad's whereabouts, he'll give you a key to a weapons cache you can't otherwise get.

The upside to doing Galaxy News Radio first is the free Fat Man weapon. Granted, you probably won't use it much in the game, but there aren't that many laying about to find on your own. Or, you can trigger the event outside GNR, then go off to Rivet City and reap both rewards.

Try to get the Dart Gun schematics early, as once you start encountering Death Claws, it will save your loving life. Keep any and all Pre-War Books that you find, they're for easy money at the National Library.

The farther you go out into the wasteland, the more likely you are to come across bigger, more deadly creatures. The higher your luck, the more likely you are to have random encounters, which is how you can get some of the best weapons early. My luckiest guy triggered the wounded Death Claw / Gauntlet schematics scene right outside of Megaton!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Also, the Mysterious Stranger perk is awesome, and has saved my rear end numerous times. Get it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Novolin posted:

Also, the Mysterious Stranger perk is awesome, and has saved my rear end numerous times. Get it.

Not to mention it's funny as hell.

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009
Something in Fallout I just learned: when looting bodies, the transfer screen only lists the loose ammo the enemy was carrying and not the ammo still in the weapon. If you want all of the ammo they had you have to also get the weapon in your inventory, then you can drop it or just put it back on the body. You get a lot more ammo doing this, and other enemies won't be able to pick up that weapon and use it against you.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Have some tips already been posted for Final Fantasy 6? I'm thinking about playing through with an aim to breaking the game. Making it too easy for myself.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Centipeed posted:

Have some tips already been posted for Final Fantasy 6? I'm thinking about playing through with an aim to breaking the game. Making it too easy for myself.

I always hit a big difficulty wall in the last dungeon and quit, and have never actually finished this game so yes, tips please.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Centipeed posted:

Learn Quick, a spell that gives you two free turns as soon as you cast it. Equip the relic that makes all spells cost 1 MP. Cast quick, attack, cast quick again. Congratulations, game broken.

Well, I guess I can put forward a little more than that, though that's all you really need to break the game...

- Explore thoroughly in Darryl's Tomb. Hidden in there is an XP Egg, which doubles the amount of XP the character equipped with it gets. Take this character - I recommend Sabin, he's really good at it - and have them go into Dinosaur Forest alone. You'll hit level 99 in no time, which makes things laughably easy. Repeat for as many characters as you want powerlevelled.

- The stat listed for each esper (+10% HP, +1 STR, etc.) indicates a small bonus that you'll get when you level up with that esper equipped. Use this to build a character with whatever stats you desire. HP and MP are generally pretty easy to get, so I'd stick with things like STR, MAGIC, and SPEED.

- Meteor hits all enemies, has great attack power, can't be reflected, and is non-elemental so it can't be resisted, absorbed, or nullified. It is second only to Ultima in terms of offensive spells.

- If you want to grind spells, go to the Fanatics' Tower. Enemies in there give tons of magic points that makes acquiring new spells pathetically easy.

- Want to make Locke useful? Give him a Genji Glove and an Offering, and equip him with some of the more ludicrously powerful swords like Ragnarok, Ultima Weapon,or Illumina - none are particularly hard to come by. He now attacks eight times per round, with a chance for spell procs on each swing if equipped with Ragnarok or Illumina.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 28, 2009

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Centipeed posted:

If you like using Sabin for his blitzes, make sure you improve his magic stat. Sabin's better blitzes all do magic damage. You will see a massive improvement in their damage by giving him magic espers at level up.

Late in the game, in the dinosaur forest, you will occasionally get a drop of an imp halberd. Bring this to the coliseum, then bet it and bet the item that you get from winning your match. You will eventually trade up to a pair of marvel shoes, which give haste + protect + shell + float + regeneration to the wearer.

The gem box relic (2x spells per turn) can be swapped for an economizer relic (all spells = 1 mp) at the coliseum. But you can also get economizers as very rare drops from the brachosaurs in the dinosaur forest. If you're lucky to get an economizer that way, put the two relics together and go to town. But if you don't, the gem box is the better item—mp is easy to replenish.

Believe it or not, Gau has the potential to be the most powerful character. But getting him there requires you to learn some very specific rages and giving him certain relics, like the merit badge, which lets him use any equipment.

When you get the chance to keep the Ragnarok magicite or to turn it into a sword, make the weapon. Ragnarok only teaches one spell, and you can get that spell in one other way:

Equip someone with the cursed shield and win 255 battles with that person in your party. The curse will break and you will be very happy with the results.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Draile posted:

Equip someone with the cursed shield and win 255 battles with that person in your party. The curse will break and you will be very happy with the results.
As a side note to this, make sure the character is wearing a Ribbon to counteract the shields' ill side effects so that you can actually use the character in battle.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Thanks so much for all of that, guys.

How much of this applies to the start of the game? A lot of it seems to be late game stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Centipeed posted:

Thanks so much for all of that, guys.

How much of this applies to the start of the game? A lot of it seems to be late game stuff.
The game up until around the halfway point is fairly straightforward, without too many things you can miss or mess up. There are some other things to pay attention to during the first half that weren't mentioned (though probably have been at some point earlier in the thread):

-Make sure you go through the Serpent's Trench once more with Mog so that you can get his Water dance. At a certain point you will lose the ability to get it. Apparently there is a way to trap yourself away from your airship so make sure you can get back to it before saving.

-There will be a point where you have to escape from a place within a certain period of time while one character stays behind. When you reach the end, don't leave, just wait. The timer will reach the end, but the character will come back at the last second.

-Fast fish are the best fish, and the only kind you should feed to a person. Kind of strange, but you'll hopefully know what to do with it within the right context at the right time.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Nate RFB posted:

As a side note to this, make sure the character is wearing a Ribbon to counteract the shields' ill side effects so that you can actually use the character in battle.

The couple of times I did it I just gave it to some one who could also equip a heal rod. And fought in that desert where all you fight is weak guys who die in a turn or two.

Unfortunately I don't think it's really possible to break this game with out a game genie. There are things you can do here and there that make the next couple of sections easier though.

Like unequiping Mog's Spear when you get the moogles for the multi party fight near the beginning.
When you get access to Locke's weapons that claim "same damage from back row," (Hawkeye/Sniper) put him in the front row. He will throw the weapon pretty often doing more damage. He'll nearly always throw at flying/floating enemies for even more damage.

I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure that the rereleases gives you a run button removing the need for sprint shoes.

If you're playing the SNES version there's a bug where Evade doesn't is useless, and by extension so is blind status. Instead your chance to evade all evadable attacks is based on a character's MBlock. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the remakes.

Argon_Sloth fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 28, 2009

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I might have mentioned this for FF6 earlier in the thread, but you'll meet a guy named Banon eventually. When he asks you a question, answer no. It'll seem like it's just gonna loop until you say yes, but just talk to him three or four times, and always say no.

Also, don't worry too much about level grinding until about 1/3 of the way in. You'll eventually get something that gives additional bonuses when you gain XP and earn levels, so hold off on grinding until you'll get the most benefit.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I just found out a way to get both relics. When Banon asks his question, say no, and go inside. Talk to the random soldiers. One will give you a relic. Then you can go back to Banon, say yes, and get the other.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Argon_Sloth posted:

Unfortunately I don't think it's really possible to break this game with out a game genie. There are things you can do here and there that make the next couple of sections easier though.
In the SNES version Vanish & Doom/X-Zone and the Lete River trick are pretty game breaking, though they're pretty much just straight up cheating. I didn't bother to mention them because you can't do them anymore in the GBA version.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why can't you do the river trick in the GBA version? It wasn't a bug or anything, it was just a way to grind levels really easily with a lot of time and a heavy book on the controller.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Level is the most important stat in the game. It carries a huge amount of weight in damage calculations later in the game. (also Vigor is the innate attack stat, battle power is from weapons)

In the original, an invisible enemy can always be hit by Doom/X-Zone for an instant KO. It becomes available early on and it makes the game incredibly easy. It is best used against Integir (a random encounter on the triangle island in the first half of the game, he gives great Magic points to learn spells with) and Doom Gaze (because finding him is a pain in the rear end and he'll retreat after so much damage and you have to find him again and it takes too loving long to kill him otherwise). This was fixed in the GBA port.

In the second half of the game if you go to an island out of the way and find an enemy that starts eating your party, maybe you should let it!

Don't give Shadow anything cool in the early parts of the game

In the first half of the game, don't neglect Terra, Locke, or Celes too much. You might find them in your party when you don't want them!

Once you get the airship, return to Narshe and look around in town to see if anything is up (like a thief raiding a locked chest)

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

danifestmestny posted:

Also the game does has a sort of lantern 'oblivion light spell' that emits from your PIPBOY. I didn't realize how to activate it until level 10 after some other goon mentioned there is a 'flashlight'. You hold down your PIPBOY button.
Another tip is don't read any books until you get the perk that gives you 2 skill points instead of one from each book if you are a skill whore like me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why can't you do the river trick in the GBA version? It wasn't a bug or anything, it was just a way to grind levels really easily with a lot of time and a heavy book on the controller.
I thought in the GBA version, you couldn't hold down the button to repeatedly execute commands. You would have to press, release, press. You could in the SNES version though, but the easiest way was to use a turbo controller.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
That would make sense.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
More to the point, you do not want to autolevel this early in the game if you want to break it in half. Character stats remain the same from level 1 onwards, which mean the stat boosts from espers do that much more in deciding how much you liquify the opposition.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Your characters get access to level 3 spells and Sabin will have all of his techs unlocked when he's level 99 so it's not like you'll ever have a problem killing everything anyway. FFVI is pretty easy anyway, but I know some people love min/maxing the hell out of it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, the man asked for game breaking.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I certainly have "fond" memories of getting every character (even Umaro!) to level 99 in that Dinosaur forest, balancing esper usage to get 9999 HP and 999 MP. The process even got Economizers for every single character as a result, and after getting spells for everyone you could then spam Quick/Ultima every turn.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 28, 2009

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Nate RFB posted:

I certainly have "fond" memories of getting every character (even Umaro!) to level 99 in that Dinosaur forest, balancing esper usage to get 9999 HP and 999 MP. The process even got Economizers for every single character as a result, and after getting spells for everyone you could then spam Quick/Ultima every turn.

I now do not feel quite so bad for admitting to the exact same thing. I also got everyone's magic stat to 100, and Ribbons for everyone.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
If it's early game stuff you want, your options are much more limited, but here goes...

- Hit Doomtrain with a phoenix down. Congrats, you win.

- Your first time going through the South Figaro cave, ignore all the chests. When you come through here later with Locke and Celes, open them and they'll contain much more powerful items. These include a thunder rod which makes the upcoming boss fight trivially easy.

- Gau gets an extremely useful early game rage from the Stray Cat enemy. This rage gives him Cat Scratch, which does 4x normal damage for no penalty whatsoever.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Backhand posted:

- Hit Doomtrain with suplex then a phoenix down. Congrats, you win.

Fixed that for you

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Regarding FFVI...

If you're playing the SNES version and want to do the Lete River trick, I'm almost certain you need a controller with a turbo option since holding the A button down outside of combat doesn't do anything. Obviously this doesn't matter if you're using an emulator.

Again, if you're playing the SNES version and want to make Doomgaze super easy, do not use X-Zone!!. You will not get the magicite if you use X-Zone; use Doom or Death or whatever instead.

It is possible for Sabin to join your party with several Blitz moves, but only the first one will auto-kill Vargas. Also, in earlier versions of the SNES game, you could do any of Sabin's Blitzes at any time, except Bum Rush, by inputting the proper command. This is fixed in later versions and subsequent ports (GBA, PSX).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 28, 2009

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

Regarding FFVI...

If you're playing the SNES version and want to do the Lete River trick, I'm almost certain you need a controller with a turbo option since holding the A button down outside of combat doesn't do anything. Obviously this doesn't matter if you're using an emulator.

Again, if you're playing the SNES version and want to make Doomgaze super easy, do not use X-Zone!!. You will not get the magicite if you use X-Zone; use Doom or Death or whatever instead.

It is possible for Sabin to join your party with several Blitz moves, but only the first one will auto-kill Vargas. Also, in earlier versions of the SNES game, you could do any of Sabin's Blitzes at any time, except Bum Rush, by inputting the proper command. This is fixed in later versions and subsequent ports (GBA, PSX).

Even if Doom Gaze escapes you can find him again pretty easily. Make sure you don't move after leaving the battle, and adjust the height of your ship to begin another fight with him.

He doesn't recover HP between fights. So there's no rush to kill him.

Argon_Sloth fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 28, 2009

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Bloodly posted:

I just found out a way to get both relics. When Banon asks his question, say no, and go inside. Talk to the random soldiers. One will give you a relic. Then you can go back to Banon, say yes, and get the other.
Unless they changed that in later releases, that doesn't work. Once the soldier gives you the Genji Gloves, Banon won't give you a relic even if you do go back and say yes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
-And another thing! When doing Sabin's blitzes, if the d-pad is giving you trouble, you don't need to press the diagonals, but rather either of the two adjecent directions and the blitz will still work. Bum Rush is miles easier when you can just go left, left, up, up, right, right, down, down, left. Especially if you are bad at fighting games and cannot hit diagonals.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Have Relm fight enemies and use Sketch ...no, forget that idea, you can either gently caress up the games saves or get random awesome goodness. You should Google the glitches of Relm.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Argon_Sloth posted:

The couple of times I did it I just gave it to some one who could also equip a heal rod. And fought in that desert where all you fight is weak guys who die in a turn or two.

Like unequiping Mog's Spear when you get the moogles for the multi party fight near the beginning.
When you get access to Locke's weapons that claim "same damage from back row," (Hawkeye/Sniper) put him in the front row. He will throw the weapon pretty often doing more damage. He'll nearly always throw at flying/floating enemies for even more damage.

I could be wrong, but I'm quite sure that the rereleases gives you a run button removing the need for sprint shoes.

If you're playing the SNES version there's a bug where Evade doesn't is useless, and by extension so is blind status. Instead your chance to evade all evadable attacks is based on a character's MBlock. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the remakes.

It's extremely easy to break the game, just read one of the aspergian FAQs about it.

Also, Evade is glitched in every version (possibly not GBA), so MEvade is all that is considered. If your MEvade goes above 128% you take no damage from anything. About half of the characters can obtain this relatively easily in the end game.

Level up Locke with VIt+2 espers in the end game, give him Offering and Gengi Glove and equip the Atma Weapon and Valiant Knife. Each time he attacks he'll do 160,000 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

It's extremely easy to break the game, just read one of the aspergian FAQs about it.

Also, Evade is glitched in every version (possibly not GBA), so MEvade is all that is considered. If your MEvade goes above 128% you take no damage from anything. About half of the characters can obtain this relatively easily in the end game.

Level up Locke with VIt+2 espers in the end game, give him Offering and Gengi Glove and equip the Atma Weapon and Valiant Knife. Each time he attacks he'll do 160,000 damage.

Breaking the end game is usually not a problem in most games. I don't see exploits as game breaking unless they effect the bulk of the game.