Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Netflix app for Vista is just a default module in Vista MC. It isn't part of 7's, but the thirdparty app some guy wrote for 7 works, but it doesn't actually integrate with 7 MC when you play a move, it just launches a browser window so you can't use your remote.

I can definitely use my remote with a Netflix browser window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Ahhhhhh I did mean exFAT. I read some article on Wikipedia on WinFS and got that mixed up with the exFAT option when I formatted my drive. So I guess my question is, how is exFAT?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I really can't tell a difference between it and regular ol' FAT32, but I'm really not using it for anything other than an external drive on my work computer.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Netflix app for Vista is just a default module in Vista MC. It isn't part of 7's, but the thirdparty app some guy wrote for 7 works, but it doesn't actually integrate with 7 MC when you play a move, it just launches a browser window so you can't use your remote.

I'll try to Hulu app for 7, but I'd really like smooth Netflix integration. If I'm missing a way to install the Vista app in 7, I'd love to hear about it, but I haven't found anything about that yet.

From reading, it looks like the Hulu app should work, as it's a Windows application and not an add-on for WMC. For the Netflix app, I guess they didn't feel like adding it to the RC. It ought to be on the final one. They poster above said the remote should work with that 3rd party app, so you may want to try it anyway.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Alright, my harddrive did that thing again where it's read only, but I did the same procedure through cmd.exe listed here, which fixed it.

Why does this keep happening? This harddisk isn't raid, it's pretty old, and it's an IDE. I'm about to replace the goddamn thing anyway, but I wish I knew why this was happening.

Maybe it's when Win 7 auto-defrags? The other SATA drives are fine, but this one is causing me trouble.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Joe Don Baker posted:

From reading, it looks like the Hulu app should work, as it's a Windows application and not an add-on for WMC. For the Netflix app, I guess they didn't feel like adding it to the RC. It ought to be on the final one. They poster above said the remote should work with that 3rd party app, so you may want to try it anyway.

Im running RTM, and it's not there yet. I've tried the remote in the browser window, and it's not working. I'll mess around with that some more, but I can probably get Vista going all the way in about and hour, so I'll probably just do that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, dumb Windows 7 question.

Installed windows 7 on a brand-new computer in April, and started noticing in August that the hard drive was failing. When I went back and reviewed the Windows 7 system logs, I found out the drive has been reporting bad blocks since June, and Windows 7 had never said a word to me.

Is there a way to get it to pop up an alert if the hard drive finds bad blocks? I'm running a replacement drive and it's a pain to remember to manually check the log regularly.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bobulus posted:

Hey, dumb Windows 7 question.

Installed windows 7 on a brand-new computer in April, and started noticing in August that the hard drive was failing. When I went back and reviewed the Windows 7 system logs, I found out the drive has been reporting bad blocks since June, and Windows 7 had never said a word to me.

Is there a way to get it to pop up an alert if the hard drive finds bad blocks? I'm running a replacement drive and it's a pain to remember to manually check the log regularly.

This is weird, because I've bitched that Windows has a history of happily recording disk errors. It will log thousand of disk errors, bad blocks, and every possible "worse case" issue with a hard drive - and NEVER once alert the user that their poo poo is FAILING.

Someone said that starting with Vista, it now pops up a message warning you that it recorded a disk error.

And you're saying with Windows 7, it never warned you? I'm wondering if they removed that feature from Windows 7 (why?), or if the Vista user was just full of poo poo.

Just today I tried to get a system up and running that would no longer boot. I finally opened the Event Logs, and it has been recording dozens of "disk" errors for the past several weeks (bad block). No one thinks to look at the Event Viewer on a daily basis, so how the hell was the end user supposed to know the drive was failing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I got Windows 7 through my MSDNAA account.

Installed it, that was all cool.

My computer died, and the .ISO that ACM gives you was on that same computer. I have another laptop that can burn CD's, but I obviously can't get on the main computer with the .iso on it.

Im guessing Microsoft isn't letting people download the .iso for the RC anymore, eh? Do I just have to extract the HD from my computer and put it in an external enclosure to get this back, or what?

If this is Files then I apologize - I thought someone posted a link recently with .iso images saying Microsoft didn't care that they were up.

I have legit CD keys!

You can't use retail edition keys on the RC anyway.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

This is weird, because I've bitched that Windows has a history of happily recording disk errors. It will log thousand of disk errors, bad blocks, and every possible "worse case" issue with a hard drive - and NEVER once alert the user that their poo poo is FAILING.

Someone said that starting with Vista, it now pops up a message warning you that it recorded a disk error.

And you're saying with Windows 7, it never warned you? I'm wondering if they removed that feature from Windows 7 (why?), or if the Vista user was just full of poo poo.

Just today I tried to get a system up and running that would no longer boot. I finally opened the Event Logs, and it has been recording dozens of "disk" errors for the past several weeks (bad block). No one thinks to look at the Event Viewer on a daily basis, so how the hell was the end user supposed to know the drive was failing?

My data drive was failing, and Vista never said a thing.

Edit: I guess you could install a S.M.A.R.T utility that would email or notify you of errors.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

If I'm planning on running a triple monitor setup with Windows 7, how easy will it be to set the middle monitor to contain both the start menu button and the system tray, while still allowing the other monitors to have their own taskbars (without start bars or trays) that basically each behave as if they were separate from the main monitor's taskbar.

In other words, I'd pretty much like the center monitor to operate as if it was the only monitor on the system, but with the option to drag any window or program I want into the left or right windows, and if I choose to minimize that window or program, it will minimize to the taskbar on that particular monitor.

Is this possible?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

You can't use retail edition keys on the RC anyway.

So these keys I have are useless now? The notepad file with the keys were on the same hard drive. I noticed everything hosed up when I went to back it up on my external :(

I just want to get the .iso of whatever the version is that MSDNAA gives out, but the ACN are holding it hostage even though I e-mailed them with this student info

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Gasmask posted:

Ahhhhhh I did mean exFAT. I read some article on Wikipedia on WinFS and got that mixed up with the exFAT option when I formatted my drive. So I guess my question is, how is exFAT?

exFAT is the simplicity of FAT32 only without the 4 GB file size limit, any real volume size limits, or getting corrupted so easily. If you're primarily using Vista or 7, may as well put all your FAT32 volumes to exFAT.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So these keys I have are useless now? The notepad file with the keys were on the same hard drive. I noticed everything hosed up when I went to back it up on my external :(

I just want to get the .iso of whatever the version is that MSDNAA gives out, but the ACN are holding it hostage even though I e-mailed them with this student info

You have keys for the retail edition, so they aren't useless. Find a torrent on your own somewhere of an un-touched Windows 7 RTM ISO and use that to install with your key.

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender

Xenomorph posted:

When I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7, I received a message saying one of my hard drives was failing after the first time Windows 7 booted up. I'm guessing Vista was happily logging these events for a while without telling me of this failing hard drive (and without me looking at the event viewer).

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

If I'm planning on running a triple monitor setup with Windows 7, how easy will it be to set the middle monitor to contain both the start menu button and the system tray, while still allowing the other monitors to have their own taskbars (without start bars or trays) that basically each behave as if they were separate from the main monitor's taskbar.

In other words, I'd pretty much like the center monitor to operate as if it was the only monitor on the system, but with the option to drag any window or program I want into the left or right windows, and if I choose to minimize that window or program, it will minimize to the taskbar on that particular monitor.

Is this possible?

I haven't tried this with Windows 7 yet, but it should be possible with UltraMon. You would set your center monitor as the primary display, and then the left and right ones as secondary displays.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

illicitporpoises posted:

I haven't tried this with Windows 7 yet, but it should be possible with UltraMon. You would set your center monitor as the primary display, and then the left and right ones as secondary displays.

This except displayfusion is better in every way than ultramon on 7.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

KS posted:

This looks interesting... except the the 'taskbar on every monitor' feature only comes with the paid version, and is pretty much the only reason to get this app (IMO). It still frustrates me to no end that Windows can't handle this on its own.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Looks like the UltraMon guy has raised his price too. Back when I got my license it was like $20.

Man-Eating Cow
Jan 18, 2001

by Fistgrrl

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I grabbed one of the $30 Student copies of 7 for my netbook but I need to get another copy of windows 7 for my desktop. Looking though new egg i found these two items.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116717

I know there has to be some catch to this OEI/OEM package, so what is it?

Is the license not like XP where you are allowed to use one key for both a desktop and a laptop install?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Man-Eating Cow posted:

Is the license not like XP where you are allowed to use one key for both a desktop and a laptop install?

MS licensing terms are always a loving nightmare, but as I understand it, any version of windows 7 is licensed for one computer at a time. OEM installs are supposed to be for one specific hardware configuration, meaning that if you get a new computer/replace parts in your computer, you need to buy a new license.

That being said, they are laughably lax in enforcing these. I trigged re-activation 3 times replacing hardware in my Vista OEM machine, called and no problem. And some people have mentioned that you can install on multiple machines with little or no hassle depending on what you tell the activation center when you call.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Goons, is there a way to get a list of background applications? Anytime I shut down my PC I get a "waiting for applications to stop" and it includes a background app whose name sounds suspicious. It only appears for half a second though so I don't even have enough time to read it.

It doesn't show up in Task Manager, is there any way to find out what's secretly running?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Craptacular! posted:

Goons, is there a way to get a list of background applications? Anytime I shut down my PC I get a "waiting for applications to stop" and it includes a background app whose name sounds suspicious. It only appears for half a second though so I don't even have enough time to read it.

It doesn't show up in Task Manager, is there any way to find out what's secretly running?

You can always google the app name.

If you open up task manager, make sure you check "list processes from all users" at the bottom. If it still doesn't show up, you can try something like process explorer to dig a little deeper. You can also poke around using msconfig or something more robust like HijackThis to see applications that are set to run on startup.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Man-Eating Cow posted:

XP licenses don't allow you to do that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Man-Eating Cow posted:

Windows XP was never licensed like that. Office has that clause in it's EULA.

CURSE YOU THERMOPYLE.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Half the reason most people who hated Vista and DID try it was because anything new or different in the computing world, in Windows especially, is greeted with hatred and scorn. See also the complete and utter shitfits everyone I know had over the Ribbon interface in Office 2007.

:confused: What's the problem? The organization makes a lot more sense than a bunch of random dinky unintuitive buttons
:cry: BAWWWW I KNEW WHERE EVERYTHING WAS IN 2003, THIS loving SUCKS
:confused: But...it makes sense. It's like a drawer full of neatly labelled files to 97-03's shoebox full of junk
:cry: I FEAR CHANGE, AND I SHALL KEEP MY SHOEBOX

I liked Vista alot, to the point where I didn't even complain about buying it for a ridiculous sum, but Win7 really does slap the poo poo out of it for me.

Pretty much. I just came from a IT professional group and one guy had to make the comment during one of the sessions on how it the ribbon takes up a lot of space, and the speaker brought up how you can hide pretty much all of it by doing Ctrl-F1 and the guy still tried to play it off as "well, it still is irritating" The instructor just dropped it by saying "if you still have a problem, you probably want to contact the office team before 2010 is finished." but the guy still had that :downswords: look like he just embarrassed the instructor into saying the ribbon actually sucks.

BTW, if any of you guys are signed up for "the New efficiency" meetings, they are giving you 7 Ultimate, not Pro, which is a nice surprise.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

According to some Microsoft MVPs, the version of Windows 7 that you get for hosting a Launch Party is a full retail license.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/GettingReadyforWindows7/thread/1979a397-e7ff-4220-a5a3-6c43187d00c7

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Man-Eating Cow posted:

Are you confusing the Officew XP license, which allowed installing a copy of the Home editions on one desktop and one laptop, with the Windows XP license, which was for one computer only, period, unless it was a specific corporate volume license?

Also, Office 2007 and 2010, in Home & Student editions, allow 3 installs at once.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I would really like to upgrade, but I'm not getting a new computer for quite some time (newlywed and broke). What I have currently is this:

Dell Intel Pentium D CPU 3GHz (2 CPUs)
2558MB RAM
Plenty of Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Windows XP Home Edition (pretty sure it's 32bit)

Do you guys think getting Win7 for this computer is worth it? If so, which version do I need to get?

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 14, 2013

jokrswild
Feb 12, 2004

I'm an astronomer, and these are the stars! Can you see the stars?

pwnyXpress posted:

I would really like to upgrade, but I'm not getting a new computer for quite some time (newlywed and broke). What I have currently is this:

Dell Intel Pentium D CPU 3GHz (2 CPUs)
2558MB RAM
Plenty of Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Windows XP Home Edition (pretty sure it's 32bit)

Do you guys think getting Win7 for this computer is worth it? If so, which version do I need to get?

I had Vista running on a machine with similar specs, and it ran just fine. Heck, I'm running Vista on a 2.4GHz P4 with a geforce 8400 and 2gb ram. You'll be fine.

Take a look at what Pentium D you have. Check to see if it's 64 bit and if it support Virtualization. That way you can run Win7 x64 with XP mode available if you have any problems.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Can someone link that deal where Students can get Win7 for $30?

EDIT: http://www.win741.com - I had to click back 20 or so pages in the thread to find it. :)

syphon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 29, 2009

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I haven't been following the thread, so my apologies if this has been covered already :v:

I've been running Build 7100 on an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard which has an NForce 430 chipset. Win7 works fine except for hinky sleep behavior (doesn't always sleep the first time, have to unplug and replug USB devices sometimes on wake). It also seems to "forget" certain settings such as mouse speed when restarted. Neither of these behaviors are present in XP SP3.

Has anyone else figured this out or do we just wait for retail?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mensur posted:

2558mb of ram? I don't quite get how you would get a number like that but assuming you're talking about somewhere in the 2gb area, that and everything else looks fine. I'm running it on my media center on a pentium D 2.0ghz and onboard video and it runs just fine.

2560 is 2.5 GB (as in some combination of sticks that adds up to 2 GB and some combination that adds up to 512 MB). If they're reading from a line in the OS, it might take off a couple MB for hardware reserved things. Hence 2558.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

deviant. posted:

I haven't been following the thread, so my apologies if this has been covered already :v:

I've been running Build 7100 on an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard which has an NForce 430 chipset. Win7 works fine except for hinky sleep behavior (doesn't always sleep the first time, have to unplug and replug USB devices sometimes on wake). It also seems to "forget" certain settings such as mouse speed when restarted. Neither of these behaviors are present in XP SP3.

Has anyone else figured this out or do we just wait for retail?

There were reports that a lot of sleep issues in the RC was fixed in the final but it's impossible to say for sure if it will fix it. What you can do for right now is go to a elevated command prompt and type in "powercfg –energy" to see if sees any problems. This is a good document on what powercfg can do. Warning Word document link. http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/E/7/7E7662CF-CBEA-470B-A97E-CE7CE0D98DC2/PowerCfg.docx

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

syphon posted:

I know this program has even been discussed here in this thread, but I wanted to bump it to pimp it again.

Those of you who have used Expose on OSX will want to give Switcher a try (http://insentient.net/ - it says it's for Vista, but works great in Win7 for me). It's written by a MS employee (but not officially endorsed), and it's basically a rip-off of Expose.

I've gotten used to using Expose in OSX, so this thing is awesome. It's surprising how well and seemless it runs with Windows. I bound it to the same hot-corner I use for Expose in OSX, so my habits are the same in either OS. I'd highly recommend you guys give it a try.

EDIT: Multi-monitor support and searching make it that much better. Active it and type 'i-t-u-<enter>' to bring up iTunes, for example.

I don't use Expose, but this is awesome. Thanks.

KS posted:

What are these ways?

Twiin fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 29, 2009

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Twiin posted:

I don't use Expose, but this is awesome. Thanks.

If you're mainly interested in the "type a few letter and press enter" way of finding and opening programs, look no further than Launchy.

It has all but completely replaced my start menu.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

If you're mainly interested in the "type a few letter and press enter" way of finding and opening programs, look no further than Launchy.

It has all but completely replaced my start menu.
I don't know if it's exactly what you meant by this comment, but Switcher (and Expose) has nothing to do with launching programs. It's a task-switcher (already opened apps), not task-launcher.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

syphon posted:

I don't know if it's exactly what you meant by this comment, but Switcher (and Expose) has nothing to do with launching programs. It's a task-switcher (already opened apps), not task-launcher.

Not only that, the win7/vista start menu all but replaced Launchy for me, as they do the same basic thing.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thermopyle posted:

Not only that, the win7/vista start menu all but replaced Launchy for me, as they do the same basic thing.

And then there's Start++ if you want some of the other Launchy features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Maneki Neko posted:

Windows XP was never licensed like that. Office has that clause in it's EULA.

CURSE YOU THERMOPYLE.

Wait wait wait... as in Office 2007?

Because hot drat if my wife wouldn't love some of that on her laptop.