Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wetfeet2000
Jan 24, 2007

It's this big
My experience: Comp Sci degree from UC Irvine. 3 years of experience as a helpdesk manager at my on-campus job dealing with many TCP\IP, windows, linux, cisco (clean access) issues. 1 year as a test intern working on SAN HBAs on Windows Server 2k3\8, RHEL, SUSE, Solaris. Many years of playing around with linux (Fedora, RHEL, SUSE) and windows on my own time. I also am willing to learn pretty much any programming langauge, and currently know java, python, bash, and some SQL.

What I'm looking for: A job where I am being challenged and learning new things as much as possible. Any job that involves working with networks. I don't mind flexible hours but I would prefer to have weekends.

What I'm NOT looking for: Another helpdesk position or internship.

Where I live: Orange County, southern California.

Where I'm looking: Same area, although I am willing to move if an excellent opportunity presents itself.

When I can start: ~1 month, I am in a perpetual internship position now.

Requirements: Same as most, decent pay and benefits.

Can be reached via: PM, "cutler (dot) scott (at) gmail (dot) com"

wetfeet2000 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

e: We hired someone, and I do not think it was a goon :eng99:

kensei fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 25, 2009

Chino Rojo
Sep 18, 2007

The chainsmoke Kansas flashdance asspants.
Okay, here goes.

Background is just over a year of developing .NET apps using C#, SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, Visual Studio 2008. My most recent project has been converting a financial services company's ASP classic site to ASP.NET, plus adding administrative tools so managers can control content remotely. We're about to put the back end live and finish the project, which will end my internship so I am eager to start talking to folks about my next challenge.

What I'm looking for: A FT developer position in Eastern Kansas, preferably in the Kansas City metro coding .NET web apps. Additionally I'd like to gain experience collaborating with a larger team, but this is not a dealbreaker. I haven't been in the game long enough to have a vision of where I want to go in software, but I get drawn towards the database side and also using my years of business experience as a sales analyst. Right now, my desire is just to get more experience coding.

My strengths are: effective communicator, humble enough to know when I don't know, leadership hair.

Link to my resume in PDF

You can email me at: jasonmgraff (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks!

brent78
Jun 23, 2004

I killed your cat, you druggie bitch.
Who are we? Trion World Network

Where are we? Austin, TX

Job Title Workstation Support Technician

Job Description

Says HR: "We are looking for an exceptional Workstation Support Technician to provide quality service to an expanding office of computer game developers. This employee will apply their broad technical skills to resolve end-user issues, to keep user systems running smoothly and efficiently. Ideal candidates will have a strong technical background, exceptional people and communication skills, experience with enterprise software acquisition and license management, and the ability to work independently and autonomously.

Responsibilities

* Accept incoming tickets and escalate to members of the team when necessary
* Respond to user support requests as they arrive in the IT helpdesk system to keep up with SLAs
* Install, configure, test, troubleshoot and repair workstations and computer peripherals
* Interact with vendors and peers to resolve technical problems with hardware and software
* Recommend and perform hardware and software upgrades; purchase and install new hardware, software, and computer peripherals as needed
* Perform upgrades and administration tasks such as backup and recovery, user account management, and operating system and application patch management
* Perform basic Active Directory and Exchange Server 2007 administration
* Assist in developing and implementing standards, procedures and processes for end-user support and training, hardware and software acquisition
* Work with VoIP telephony systems, WiFi Networks, video conferencing gear, and basic network infrastructure

Requirements

* At least 3 years of experience supporting workstations in a corporate environment
* The ability to work independently to proactively identify and act on tasks and projects
* The ability to enthusiastically deliver a prompt, professional response and timely resolution to all requests for service; the ability to manage conflicting priorities without compromising quality
* Strong familiarity with computer workstations running Windows XP and Microsoft Office
* Experience managing software deployments and licenses in an enterprise environment
* Some experience with Windows 2003 Server, Windows-based DNS and DHCP, Active Directory Group Policy, TCP/IP and routing concepts, and Microsoft file and print sharing
* The ability to learn quickly, document thoroughly and dispense information within the IT department
* Knowledge of commonly used concepts and practices within IT support such as general helpdesk and tracking system concepts
* The ability to proactively identify and resolve software, hardware, and network problems
* Great written and verbal communication skills
* Exceptional documentation skills are an absolute requirement
* Expert knowledge of Windows XP and Windows Vista
* A+ Certified is a plus (however proven hands on experience can over-ride any certifications)
* Must have the ability to work independently, and have excellent communication skills

Additional Requirements

* Must be flexible on work hours, though most work will be done between 9:00 and 6:00
* May be assigned “on-call” status evenings and weekends for special projects as required
* Must be able to lift 40 pounds with no limitations to perform tasks such as carrying furniture and equipment and performing installations

Benefits competitive salary and a generous benefits that includes medical, dental, 401K, vision and all the soda you can drink.

Why work for us? Casual work environment, and you'll be rubbing elbows with some of the best and brightest people in the gaming industry. You run the show in Austin, supporting roughly 60 users and 100+ high end workstations. The last job posting I made on SH/SC we ended up hiring from.

JOB FILLED. THANKS FOR PLAYING.

brent78 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 14, 2009

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

brent78 posted:

Who are we? Trion World Network
Where are we? Austin, TX
Job Title Workstation Support Technician
This position needs to be filled ASAP

I just sent you an e-mail with a couple of questions.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My brother-in-law was laid off on the 15th and now has 2 companies giving him competing offers. I've been trying to get a new job for 2 years and I've only ever gotten a single interview. My self-esteem is pretty low at the moment. Granted, his field and mine are not the same, and I really am happy for him, but gently caress, that hurts. I haven't gotten so much as a "we've received your resume and are reviewing it" since I moved to Texas and he gets multiple job offers within 7 days?

Sorry for the E/N, I'm just frustrated. Does anybody know if those "premium" services offered by most job search sites actually do any good, or if it's all just a scam? The more job searching sucks the life out of me, the more $60 for 3 months of "increased relevance" (whatever the gently caress that means) starts to sound appealing...

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

^^ Sorry, man. It does really suck feeling invisible.

My experience: BS degree in unrelated field from University of Maryland. Started in L1 then L2 support at a decently large retail corporate headquarters. Moved to start up SharePointHosting.com. Through acquisitions and the very sad leaving of the founders I was stuck with technical lead. Think an entire hosting environment, based on solely MS products.

What I'm looking for: A challenging job, hopefully more systems administrative. I like having set hours (I spent about the last 6 months on 24/7 on call, kind of traumatized), but can do rotational after hours. Small, less political environment appreciated.

What I'm NOT looking for: Level 1 help desk if I can help it.

Where I live: Philadelphia, PA.

Where I'm looking: Philly. Willing to relocated at my own expense for the right opportunity.

When I can start: Immediately, or however long it would take to move to the location.

Requirements: Money is nice, but not the be all end all. Standard benefits nice, but I've gone bareback before for a start-up. Anything for the right opportunity.

Can be reached via: PM, resume: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1880719/toddcrowley-resume.doc

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
To help people out a bit, a post that is neither "Looking" nor "Offering".

First a bit of context: I'm a Perl programmer who's location-bound to a place that's almost in russia as far as local technology goes. As such my only way to look for employment that actually makes use of my skills is to go online.

After going through a whole tone of websites, i found odesk.com, which is pretty much a mediator interface between freelancers and people looking to outsource. They do take a 10% cut of the pay and in order to break into getting jobs you'll need to start with a low rate.

However, on the upside, I've been doing this since roughly April this year and now I'm regularly getting new job offers, was able to steadily raise my rate and pay my bills easily with the work I've been doing for clients there. My profile to demonstrate the kind of income (unlinked in case anyone thinks i'm trying to spam): http://www.odesk.com/users/~~47216dcde70a9bcd

If you're in a similar situation as me or just plain desperate enough to try anything, it might be worth it for you. :)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

brc64 posted:

Sorry for the E/N, I'm just frustrated. Does anybody know if those "premium" services offered by most job search sites actually do any good, or if it's all just a scam? The more job searching sucks the life out of me, the more $60 for 3 months of "increased relevance" (whatever the gently caress that means) starts to sound appealing...
I really wouldn't shell out for them to be honest, but the positions I'm looking for are ones that normally would call you rather than you call them, so I could be dead wrong.

Have you been checking indeed.com by chance? It's pretty darn good and has beaten out Craigslist for me now. Granted, I've applied to maybe 100 jobs over several months now and just gotten a really lucky opportunity that I'm in the running for.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

odesk

Do you make your living from ODesk alone? If so, how long did it take you to get to that point?

How long did it take before you got your first decent paying project?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

royallthefourth posted:

Do you make your living from ODesk alone? If so, how long did it take you to get to that point?

I had these same questions. I was just laid off and I'm starting my own software company, but in the meanwhile I want to pick up some side jobs to keep money coming in. I created an oDesk profile this morning after I saw your post, set my per hour amount at way less than I normally make, so we'll see how it goes.

Any specific suggestions on how to get work when you don't have any reviews/ratings/previous work on the site?

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
Things have changed since I last posted, and since I'm graduating soon, guess I should update.

My experience: 5 internships working system administration / tech support in environments with over 500 users and offices worldwide. 1 internship doing design, coding, testing and implementation of a software system. Degree in Security and Risk Analysis with a focus on Information and Cyber Security, Penn State University. Undergraduate research projects include work in deception and counterdeception, RiskWiki (FEMA), and other projects. NSA Cyber Forensics certification.
What I'm looking for: A full-time position in information security or risk analysis / management, sysAdmin also acceptable.
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level help desk
Where I live: State College, PA / New York, NY
Where I'm looking: Anywhere, relocation compensation a plus but not a requirement
When I can start: June 2010
Requirements: Pay of some sort, health insurance would be a plus.
Can be reached via: PM, foghorn5950 at the gmail server on the .com TLD

foghorn fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 23, 2009

thewhitehand
Sep 11, 2008
My experience: 2 years as a network engineer, 2 years office/small business tech support and clerical work, CCNA, Net+, Sec+, TS clearance, BSCI
What I'm looking for: A full-time position in information security or network engineering
What I'm NOT looking for: help desk
Where I live: San Diego, CA
Where I'm looking: SoCal
When I can start: Sept 2009
Requirements: salary+benefits
Can be reached via: PM, or thegatesoftroy@gmail.com

Puredeath
Sep 25, 2009

On Unicornback posted:

^^ Sorry, man. It does really suck feeling invisible.

My experience: BS degree in unrelated field from University of Maryland. Started in L1 then L2 support at a decently large retail corporate headquarters. Moved to start up SharePointHosting.com. Through acquisitions and the very sad leaving of the founders I was stuck with technical lead. Think an entire hosting environment, based on solely MS products.

What I'm looking for: A challenging job, hopefully more systems administrative. I like having set hours (I spent about the last 6 months on 24/7 on call, kind of traumatized), but can do rotational after hours. Small, less political environment appreciated.

What I'm NOT looking for: Level 1 help desk if I can help it.

Where I live: Philadelphia, PA.

Where I'm looking: Philly. Willing to relocated at my own expense for the right opportunity.

When I can start: Immediately, or however long it would take to move to the location.

Requirements: Money is nice, but not the be all end all. Standard benefits nice, but I've gone bareback before for a start-up. Anything for the right opportunity.

Can be reached via: PM, resume: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1880719/toddcrowley-resume.doc

I sent your resume link to a friend of mine that is looking for a Sr Sharepoint Architect. If he is interested, he will contact you and fill you in on the details.

As a side note, anyone looking in the Harrisburg area, I may be able to help find some work. Cant promise anything, but will be lurking here to see if I can help anyone.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My experience: 10 years of 'doing everything IT' for < 100 users, at 2 different companies and 1 school district. I have at least a little bit of experience with everything, SQL, ASP, C, VB, HTML, Apache, IIS, varios spam/web filters, backup/anti-virus software, general hardware diagnostics/repair, wiring, wireless, phone systems, Windows and Linux servers, Exchange, I can throw Tetris/Pacman together in almost any language you want if you give me a day or two. My weakest area is networking, so if you've got 30 locations with Cisco equipment, I'm not your guy.

What I'm looking for: Back-end admin position, or junior development position

What I'm NOT looking for: I am going to shoot myself in the head if I'm still answering phone calls that start with "I can't print..." in 5 years

Where I live: Mid-Michigan

Where I'm looking: Anywhere in Michigan

When I can start: A month?

Requirements: Nothing fancy. Salary, benefits, the usual.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

royallthefourth posted:

musclecoder posted:

I had these same questions. I was just laid off and I'm starting my own software company, but in the meanwhile I want to pick up some side jobs to keep money coming in. I created an oDesk profile this morning after I saw your post, set my per hour amount at way less than I normally make, so we'll see how it goes.

Any specific suggestions on how to get work when you don't have any reviews/ratings/previous work on the site?

Without banging my drum too much: Pretty much every Perl project i got was amazingly lovely before i got it. Created by literally the worst coders i can imagine. I spend more time cleaning up old lovely code than actually implementing new things.

Now: Yeah, i make my living from oDesk.

I registered around the 10th of March this year, and did some tests. Tests are really important, as they're one of the first criteria by which buyers looking for providers will sort. My Perl test (see my profile above), going by feedback from buyers on my profile, has so far resulted in the most offers.

It took me about two weeks to land the first few gigs by actually applying to jobs myself. The important part there was that i made sure to get 5.0 ratings by doing my best at a retardedly low price. Once i had a few ratings, others became interested in me, resulting in a buyer contacting me one month after i registered. Starting from there i began having a steady income and got more smaller jobs. In June then i got a bigger one with which i could supplant the first long term project. It ended after a month, but in that time i had been contacted by another interested party for whom i'm still working steadily. Then i picked up another long term in August. As such, right now, i have three fully active projects that will last me at least until end of the year and i've steadily been getting contacts.

Whenever i picked up a new job i raised my rate a bit, and i plan to lower it again when i run out of stuff to do. That happenening is very unlikely at this point.

All in all i had 31 condidacies since March, some started by me, most by buyers. Out of them 10 resulted in actual hires and 21 went nowhere.

Since March i made, after shunting through paypal and currency conversion, 7100 €, allowing me to live quite comfortably. I think, on average, i've worked 4 hours per day, including weekend. The pay comes in weekly for the week before and is stored in the oDesk system until you transfer it out. Each transfer costs a little (1$ for me), which is why i transfer only every two weeks.

Edit: Note, the amount up there is AFTER oDesk takes its 10%.

If there are any more questions, feel free to ask.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 26, 2009

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Wow, thats awesome advice, I appreciate it. I guess I'll start taking some of the tests.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Puredeath posted:

I sent your resume link to a friend of mine that is looking for a Sr Sharepoint Architect. If he is interested, he will contact you and fill you in on the details.

As a side note, anyone looking in the Harrisburg area, I may be able to help find some work. Cant promise anything, but will be lurking here to see if I can help anyone.

Wow. Appreciate the hell out of that!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Since March i made, after shunting through paypal and currency conversion, 7100 €, allowing me to live quite comfortably. I think, on average, i've worked 4 hours per day, including weekend. The pay comes in weekly for the week before and is stored in the oDesk system until you transfer it out. Each transfer costs a little (1$ for me), which is why i transfer only every two weeks.

Are you saying you are making about 10,000 USD for 7 months of work? Sounds like you're getting shafted... by my quick math you're making about 12 dollars an hour, if your 4 hours a day estimate is correct. You can find an entry level development job, if you're skilled at it, that pays well above that.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

First off, I'm in the rear end-end of germany as far as technology goes, so no, around here i won't even find entry-level jobs that don't utterly suck and require Java at the local polytech.

Also, the hours thing was a rough estimate and i overshot. Here's an exact timeline with more numbers:

http://drop.io/jzsdlci

Knock yourself out. :)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

First off, I'm in the rear end-end of germany as far as technology goes, so no, around here i won't even find entry-level jobs that don't utterly suck and require Java at the local polytech.

Also, the hours thing was a rough estimate and i overshot. Here's an exact timeline with more numbers:

http://drop.io/jzsdlci

Knock yourself out. :)

Sorry I didn't mean to come off like I was attacking you or anything. I'm just saying that you're making very little yet you're making it seem like this is a great job opportunity. You're also not taking into account taxes etc., when I work contract I do it at $100 an hour because of taxes and other crap I have to deal with.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm certainly not trying to make it seem like a great job opportunity. In fact, i thought it was pretty clear that this is kinda a last-measure thing. As for the rate you mention, sure I'd like to be there sometime, but that requires either a great portfolio, which i lack; or great opportunities in the local area, which i lack too.

Taxes i did take into account. At my level of income, it costs me 100€ once to get the taxes done for a year and the taxes themselves are ~0.50 €. In other words neglible. I do also pay my own health insurance, but considering how most americans go without that either way, i didn't think it was worth mentioning and also rather obvious.

That aside this way to work offers me considerable benefits in time i have. I can work when i want and how much i want (as long as the client stays happy). Which i used massively the past year in order to get my weight under control as well as help my family out with moving. (Thus the low hours, they were certainly not because of lack of work. ;))

Alternatively I could also have worked 3-4 times as much, made as much more and passed on the life improvement + social stuff. With my current projects I'm literally busy at least until summer next year though, so i opted to go with fixing my life quality while maintaining a cashflow that sustains me well.

Edit: Forgot to mention: I don't feel attacked. I have a pretty dry tone which might convey that, but it isn't so. I'm actually happy to get more questions, so i can convey a more exact image. :)

On a completely different note: Since you seem to be successful with contracting, how about talking a bit about how you go about that, as far as acquiring contracts goes? :)

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 27, 2009

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Web Design/Development Work Available

I have a wheel of clients that I had to shave off when I took a lucrative IT position, and I'd like to find a Californian/West Coast web developer/designer to take over some work for a client based out of the Los Angeles area.

About the Client:

This client is your typical product development specialist; he has a host of products that he is selling through the internet. What I have done is created Magento webfronts for him, and he is looking for mostly more deployments of Magento and easy improvements to existing sites. He can be naggy sometimes, but makes up for it by paying on time.

That being said, the following is required:
* Magento eCommerce experience
* HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL/cPanel
* SEO/Landing Page stuff
* Punctuality on projects
* Graphic development (you will have to do some graphics from time to time)
* Sense of humor/non-nerdy communication skills

The nice thing is that this is a good way to supplement your income, and you will have me as a resource to help you with the existing work. I do all of this work remotely, and I imagine that you can do the same. He has a lot of work and expressed that he would like to retain me when I have a bit more time, but I don't think that will be happening soon.

If you are interested, please email me your resume at nic@meleebeats.com - please include some links to eCommerce sites that you have experience with.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Just to make sure the OP is updated:

kensei posted:

e: We hired someone, and I do not think it was a goon :eng99:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

kensei posted:

Just to make sure the OP is updated:

I thought I had already edited that, huh. Oh well, fixed now.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Another opening in Fort Myers, FL. Relatively laid back place. I am not a manager of any kind in our department and have no say in who gets this job. I also did not create this posting.

Pay range: $50,000 - $57,084

Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field and two years recent and relevant experience in Windows server (2003/2008) administration and Windows application support; or a Master's degree.

Prefered Qualifications: Five years recent and relevant experience in Windows server (2003/2008) administration and Windows application support. Extensive experience with DNS (Windows/Linux), SMTP, DHCP, SNMP, Active Directory, group policy. Preferred Candidate would be familiar with Exchange 2007, email routing, troubleshooting, and have recent administrative experience. Experience with one or more of the following is preferred: MS SQL, Share Point, SCOM, TrackIt. Experience with VM-Ware and server virtualization is preferred. EMC SAN and fiber channel switch configuration is preferred. Experience in a university setting is a plus. Active Microsoft certification(s) desired.

Knowledge, Skills, and abilities: General hardware experience required including: workstation setup, diagnostics and troubleshooting, network component installation and replacement, LAN diagnostics, Dell server maintenance and installation, EMC SAN experience, Linux Experience. Candidate should possess the personal skills to relate to a variety of administrative, clerical, and academic clients in a University environment. Candidate should be able to function in a rapidly changing and expanding environment.

Job Duties: Responsible for the installation, operation, and maintenance of networked servers, storage devices, printers and other shared devices. Evaluates, tests, troubleshoots, and installs network application software as well as Windows Server operating systems, VM-Ware, etc. Provides direction for the campus on new technology as it becomes available and pertinent to the mission of the department and the university. Provides support for the FGCU network including all of the wiring, network electronics, file servers, Windows domain security and all the components that make up FGCU's network. Responsible for planning, installation, maintenance and troubleshooting to maintain a smooth operating environment. On-call status is required one week per call cycle.

For more information, go to jobs.fgcu.edu and click the "search posting" link on the left. Put "1051" as the "Requisition ID".

edit: posting has closed.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 13, 2009

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?

Bahama.Llama posted:

Another opening in Fort Myers, FL. Relatively laid back place.

Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field and two years recent and relevant experience in Windows server (2003/2008) administration and Windows application support; or a Master's degree.

Prefered Qualifications: Five years recent and relevant experience in Windows server (2003/2008) administration and Windows application support. Extensive experience with DNS (Windows/Linux), SMTP, DHCP, SNMP, Active Directory, group policy. Preferred Candidate would be familiar with Exchange 2007, email routing, troubleshooting, and have recent administrative experience. Experience with one or more of the following is preferred: MS SQL, Share Point, SCOM, TrackIt. Experience with VM-Ware and server virtualization is preferred. EMC SAN and fiber channel switch configuration is preferred. Experience in a university setting is a plus. Active Microsoft certification(s) desired.

Knowledge, Skills, and abilities: General hardware experience required including: workstation setup, diagnostics and troubleshooting, network component installation and replacement, LAN diagnostics, Dell server maintenance and installation, EMC SAN experience, Linux Experience. Candidate should possess the personal skills to relate to a variety of administrative, clerical, and academic clients in a University environment. Candidate should be able to function in a rapidly changing and expanding environment.

Job Duties: Responsible for the installation, operation, and maintenance of networked servers, storage devices, printers and other shared devices. Evaluates, tests, troubleshoots, and installs network application software as well as Windows Server operating systems, VM-Ware, etc. Provides direction for the campus on new technology as it becomes available and pertinent to the mission of the department and the university. Provides support for the FGCU network including all of the wiring, network electronics, file servers, Windows domain security and all the components that make up FGCU's network. Responsible for planning, installation, maintenance and troubleshooting to maintain a smooth operating environment. On-call status is required one week per call cycle.

For more information, go to jobs.fgcu.edu and click the "search posting" link on the left. Put "1051" as the "Requisition ID".

I know you also said "a related field", but a computer science degree for this? Or Masters in something? Come on.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Gangsta Lean posted:

I know you also said "a related field", but a computer science degree for this? Or Masters in something? Come on.

I didn't create the posting... it is what it is my friend.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Gangsta Lean posted:

Algorithmic complexity plays a big role in helping that professor figure out how to operate the projector in his classroom!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I figured that since the job was for a university - jobs.fgcu.edu that was the reason why they were requiring a degree.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

cliffy posted:

Algorithmic complexity plays a big role in helping that professor figure out how to operate the projector in his classroom!

And you need an engineering degree to put a desk together. Get a masters' and you can become the manager of the desk engineer!

Diocletian
Jul 4, 2003
Who are we? LAN Infotech

Where are we? Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Job Title(s) System and Network Engineer(2 positions available)

Job Description

As an engineer your main job will mostly consist of going to our current clients and fixing any onsite issues they may be having. This can range from setting up a new workstation to migrating their domain to a new OS and more complicated/interesting things. You will also be taken onsite for prospects and use your professional knowledge to assess their current network and provide input on what needs to be improved.

Responsibilities

* 50%-70% Onsite, though we have had weeks were we're completely dead, in which case you would report to the office.

* You must have reliable transportation. All mileage, tolls and parking will be reimbursed twice a month.

* When going to a client you must be dressed professionally, we mainly deal with law firms and other high status clients. Appearance is everything!

* When you are not at a client you will be assigned help desk tickets and you will also answer calls if no one else is available to take them.

* 24/7 On call rotation. For 2 weeks at a time you will be on call. All Engineers will have Blackberries and you are required to have it with you at all times. You must be able to respond to EMERGENCY issues(server down etc) within 15 minutes. If by chance you are not near a PC or cannot drive to the location you must call the on duty manager and they will assign it to another engineer.

Requirements

* Experience with ConnectWise

* Microsoft certifications, any of these will do: MCSE, MCITP, MCP, MCTS, MSCA

* Proficient in all Windows server versions

* SonicWall configuration experience

* Cisco certification or experience is a plus

* 3+ years experience working as an onsite technician

* Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience

Additional Requirements

* Must be outgoing. Please no shut-ins! You will be talking to the clients face to face most of the time.

* Must be able to hit the ground running and learn quickly.

* Excellent written and verbal communication skills

* Knowledge of MXLogic, Electric mail, Citrix, BDR's, NAS and SAN would be awesome.

We do provide Health insurance after your 90 day probation period, no dental unfortunately. We will be offering a 401k soon as well. We also offer 2 weeks paid vacation plus 1 week paid personal/sick, and 10 paid holidays. Salary is negotiable

Why work for us? Super casual work environment in the office(dress code in office is jeans and a polo). Your co-workers are all IT people since we are a Network Consulting/services firm, so we're all nerdy and most of us are into gaming and poo poo. You get to work with the latest technology and see some IMPRESSIVE networks and sites, including the Florida Panther's arena, an HD TV station, and some guy's loving mansion!

Contact Just send your resume to me at bbarberio@laninfotech.com and I will personally send it to my boss after I verify you meet the requirements and I feel you would be a good fit.

Edit: fixed my email address, added Citrix experience.

Diocletian fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 29, 2009

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Diocletian posted:

* Experience with ConnectWise

Bastards. I applied for a job there and after three interviews at their offices and a phone interview, they said "We couldn't find a fit to utilize your skills here." or something like that. When I followed up with them and asked specifically where my weaknesses were and why they couldn't find a fit for me, the hiring manager said "I can't tell you that! If I did, I'd lose my job! You don't want me to get fired, do ya? :) " They're the only company that didn't give me a reason.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bahama.Llama posted:

Another opening in Fort Myers, FL. Relatively laid back place. I am not a manager of any kind in our department and have no say in who gets this job. I also did not create this posting.

I'm curious about this posting. Is this Market Rate for someone with these qualifications?

I'm not quite at the level experience wanted in this posting, but the Salary seems kind of low. I'm assuming it's lower cash wise because it is a university and the combo of good benefits/retirement/crazy holidays off makes up for it as a total comp package.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

skipdogg posted:

I'm curious about this posting. Is this Market Rate for someone with these qualifications?

I'm not quite at the level experience wanted in this posting, but the Salary seems kind of low. I'm assuming it's lower cash wise because it is a university and the combo of good benefits/retirement/crazy holidays off makes up for it as a total comp package.

You're exactly right. The cash isn't great especially since the budget cuts and the hiring freeze (meaning they are not filling the vast majority of the open positions... only mission critical). The health care is pretty good... for the single coverage PPO, you put in 50/month, they put in 400/month and the family is probably 100-120 with about the same contribution ratio. 6 free credit hours of any undergrad/grad classes. You can pass this onto your family, but they are limited to undergrad. The retirement is x% your salary for the pension, or the option for you to put in on your own and they match up to 10.x% your salary. Paid holidays (list: http://www.fgcu.edu/HR/HolidaySchedule.html) plus paid hurricane days. The time off is 4 hours sick and 6 hours admin leave per pay period (every other week). Pretty laid back place... but I can't say that with confidence as this is the only "tech" place that I've worked and can't compare it to much.

edit: updated retirement numbers

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 30, 2009

Diocletian
Jul 4, 2003

Spooky Man G posted:

Bastards. I applied for a job there and after three interviews at their offices and a phone interview, they said "We couldn't find a fit to utilize your skills here." or something like that. When I followed up with them and asked specifically where my weaknesses were and why they couldn't find a fit for me, the hiring manager said "I can't tell you that! If I did, I'd lose my job! You don't want me to get fired, do ya? :) " They're the only company that didn't give me a reason.

I was actually extended an offer by the company that integrates with them at the same time I took this job. I turned it down though because this job was more interesting. Also, we only work with their program, wouldn't have to worry about their bullshit. :)

Puredeath
Sep 25, 2009

On Unicornback posted:

Wow. Appreciate the hell out of that!

I just touched base with him, his positions need to have a clearance. Can you PM me or shoot me an email if you are interested in pursing this?

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Puredeath posted:

I just touched base with him, his positions need to have a clearance. Can you PM me or shoot me an email if you are interested in pursing this?

Hey I can't seem to PM you and the email function has been disabled by the admin.

Puredeath
Sep 25, 2009

On Unicornback posted:

Hey I can't seem to PM you and the email function has been disabled by the admin.

email me at jojo at olivasfamily dot net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

finagler
Jun 22, 2000

Beer: Serious Business

Who are we: Western Digital
Where? Irvine, CA

I’m looking for four (4) technicians:
  • Must be willing to work 1-10 P.M. as a temp, with overtime and some weekends
  • Must be able to rip a PC apart and put it back together quickly (we do chassis swaps)
  • Must be familiar with BIOS settings
  • Must be able to lift 50 lbs, no problems on ladders, etc.
  • Test/QA/Blackbox testing experience a plus
  • Knowledge of DOS, Linux, all flavors of Windows a must (not super advanced stuff)
  • Must smell nice and fit in with a casual corporate environment (no Super Mario tattoos visible)
Our company makes storage products. My group has 5,000 PCs and we test drive firmware. This entails starting and stopping tests, updating a test database and working directly with engineers. We're moving labs around and need to move heavy racks around, build racks, wire racks, do PC chassis swaps. Pay is around $22/hr with some OT. Hours are 1-10pm M-F with some weekends/late evenings. You will be hired through a temp agency that our company uses. We’re located in Irvine, 92612.

Email your resume to greg dot nagel @ wdc dot com. PM's ignored. This is an immediate opening. There are other openings in the company. If I don't like you I can forward your resume to the temp agency or other interested groups.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 29, 2012