Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend
I really like that about Vetinari he manages to be both a ruthlessly efficient Machiavellian Pragmatist and a fairly good human being at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've gave up on the libraries and bought Witches Abroad, FaustEric, and Mort.

Also, I didn't get the pun in Adora Belle's name until after finishing Making Money :shobon:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Alert poster ONEYEARLATER sent me this link which he couldn't post himself due to being a crabby pants:
http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780061161704&WT.mc_id=AUTHRTRK_UNSEEN_BROWSE_092109

Only a few more weeks! :woop:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Only a few more weeks! :woop:

Woop indeed.

Saw "the colour of magic" on TV at the weekend and I was wondering what the general consensus was. I thought it was pretty good. The humour was there, the production values were good and I liked the casting choices, even if David Jason is a bit older than I'd taken Rincewind to be. Good job getting Christopher Lee as Death.

How was "Hogfather"?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bitterandtwisted posted:

How was "Hogfather"?

Utterly fantastic, in my book. They pretty much nailed every role, even the minor ones like Corporals Visit and Nobbs, and Ridcully and Stibbons. Teatime and Susan totally steal the show, though. I actually enjoyed it more than the novel, I think.

Oh, and Death is pretty much perfect.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

precision posted:

Utterly fantastic, in my book. They pretty much nailed every role, even the minor ones like Corporals Visit and Nobbs, and Ridcully and Stibbons. Teatime and Susan totally steal the show, though. I actually enjoyed it more than the novel, I think.

Oh, and Death is pretty much perfect.

You're almost correct, but Corporal Nobbs was recognizably human.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

bitterandtwisted posted:

Good job getting Christopher Lee as Death.

He's been Death before, you know. The Soul Music cartoon. As much as I like Ian Richardson, Lee gives much better Death.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
So what's the scoop on Small Gods? After reading back a few pages it seems to come highly recommended. I tried searching on Amazon and it said a new copy was $85(!!!). Then I looked at the library, and they have the audiobook but not the novel. Am I looking for this the wrong way or is it out of print or what's the deal?

iJay
Jul 6, 2005

Dolph Lundgren is awesome

Doug posted:

So what's the scoop on Small Gods? After reading back a few pages it seems to come highly recommended. I tried searching on Amazon and it said a new copy was $85(!!!). Then I looked at the library, and they have the audiobook but not the novel. Am I looking for this the wrong way or is it out of print or what's the deal?

It is just a very good book. You get what you pay for, right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doug posted:

It is printed using paper and inks of the finest quality.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Doug posted:

I tried searching on Amazon and it said a new copy was $85(!!!).

That's an audio book. Try this: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Small-Gods/Terry-Pratchett/e/9780061092176/?itm=1&USRI=Small+Gods+Terry

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'd honestly love to get a hardcover version of Small Gods.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I decided to go the library route because I'm a cheap rear end. They are going to inter-library loan it for me. In the mean time, I picked up The Color of Magic. Skimming the first few pages, it seems like it should be an interesting read.

Aussie Crawl
Aug 21, 2007
Contains Opinions Which May Offend

Doug posted:

Call me crazy here Doug i know this idea is coming WAAAAAAY out of left field. But have you tried looking for the book by the very popular author in A Book Store?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's crazy but it just might work.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Nevermind. Thanks for the recommendations.

Doug fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 25, 2009

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I'm a bit surprised there isn't more discussion about that link with the first quarter of the book posted. Did anyone else decide to squint at their screen and read through it? Keeping this post completely spoiler free, it's pretty good so far. It definitely feels like one of the modern Discworld books, but a good portion of the storyline reminds me of something Pratchett might have written around the time of Soul Music. That might just be the presence of the Wizards, though. It definitely whets my appetite for the rest of the novel.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm a bit surprised there isn't more discussion about that link with the first quarter of the book posted. Did anyone else decide to squint at their screen and read through it? Keeping this post completely spoiler free, it's pretty good so far. It definitely feels like one of the modern Discworld books, but a good portion of the storyline reminds me of something Pratchett might have written around the time of Soul Music. That might just be the presence of the Wizards, though. It definitely whets my appetite for the rest of the novel.

I read up until about page 32 before it stopped loading for some reason. I thought it started a little slowly, but picked up pretty quickly and - of course - stopped loading right at the moment when the story got into second gear. Interesting stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm a bit surprised there isn't more discussion about that link with the first quarter of the book posted. Did anyone else decide to squint at their screen and read through it?

Actually I did miss that.

The first page is utterly amazing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

precision posted:

Actually I did miss that.

The first page is utterly amazing.

I had missed it too. Managed to get all 70 odd pages to load though, so I was able to read the first 1/4 or whatever of the book. Not the best I've ever read but there's some interesting goings on. A few good chuckles, no sore sides or anything close yet though.

Goblins appear to be able to reproduce in a non-sexual manner or something? Like, leave one alone and you'll eventually end up with thousands of the buggers running round kind of thing. I'm not even sure which part of the story made me think that. I think it was mostly the dumb as a rock aspect the explorer mentioned along with the fact everyone seems to want Mr. Nutt to learn as much as possible and the whole dark war thing that was mentioned.

I'm kind of getting tired of the introduce new race, and then have the book explore how they fit in to AM thing he's been doing recently. Every time a new race comes along to try and fit in everyone doubts how they can possibly do it. Trolls, vampires, zombies etc. I suppose at least it's not the Watch doing it this time.

Mr. Diamond's tiny, tiny cameo is nice as well. Shows him as the cool guy he is.

The book seems to be downplaying the rest of the faculty in favor of Ponder and Mustrum, which I can't say is really a bad thing. They've always had the two most dominant personalities (outside Librarian/Rincewind), and I liked the fact Ponder pushed for info on Mr. Nutt and actually got it. If the two of them weren't so differant I might even think Mustrum was looking towards his own eventual replacement - despite the general rule of Wizardry.

Will the Dean be back? Will Rincewind get up from his lie down?
I'll certainly be picking up the book to find out.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

tsob posted:

I had missed it too. Managed to get all 70 odd pages to load though, so I was able to read the first 1/4 or whatever of the book. Not the best I've ever read but there's some interesting goings on. A few good chuckles, no sore sides or anything close yet though.

Goblins appear to be able to reproduce in a non-sexual manner or something? Like, leave one alone and you'll eventually end up with thousands of the buggers running round kind of thing. I'm not even sure which part of the story made me think that. I think it was mostly the dumb as a rock aspect the explorer mentioned along with the fact everyone seems to want Mr. Nutt to learn as much as possible and the whole dark war thing that was mentioned.

I'm kind of getting tired of the introduce new race, and then have the book explore how they fit in to AM thing he's been doing recently. Every time a new race comes along to try and fit in everyone doubts how they can possibly do it. Trolls, vampires, zombies etc. I suppose at least it's not the Watch doing it this time.

Mr. Diamond's tiny, tiny cameo is nice as well. Shows him as the cool guy he is.

The book seems to be downplaying the rest of the faculty in favor of Ponder and Mustrum, which I can't say is really a bad thing. They've always had the two most dominant personalities (outside Librarian/Rincewind), and I liked the fact Ponder pushed for info on Mr. Nutt and actually got it. If the two of them weren't so differant I might even think Mustrum was looking towards his own eventual replacement - despite the general rule of Wizardry.

Will the Dean be back? Will Rincewind get up from his lie down?
I'll certainly be picking up the book to find out.

From what I gathered Rincewind was out and about the University and from the one of the covers we've seen is going to be on the team.

Emerson Cod fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 26, 2009

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

withak posted:

It's crazy but it just might work.

A million to one shot?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

glasnost toyboy posted:

A million to one shot?

No, in order for it to be a million to one shot you must not look for it, but just ask the clerk for 'That book with the turtle on the cover.' Otherwise it's only a 8,888 to one shot, and we all know how those go.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Just walk in, eye the clerk up and say "De chelonian mobile" in a hushed voice. They'll know.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Currently reading FaustEric. I love the name Quezovercoatl.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Dead Alice posted:

Just walk in, eye the clerk up and say "De chelonian mobile" in a hushed voice. They'll know.

If I ever create a band of any sort, it will be called "The Potatoes of Defiance".

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Sophia posted:

If I ever create a band of any sort, it will be called "The Potatoes of Defiance".

As long as you've got your potato, everything will be alright.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

John Dough posted:

Currently reading FaustEric. I love the name Quezovercoatl.

The Feathered Boa :mmmhmm:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
:toot:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

shadok posted:

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FROM

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

shadok posted:

What exactly does the librarian have in his hands?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Turtle Parlor posted:

Looks like some sort of ball to me, isn't the book about a UU sports team?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

drunk asian neighbor posted:

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FROM

WH Smith. Today is the UK release date.

Turtle Parlor posted:

An olde style leather football.

LooseChanj posted:

Looks like some sort of ball to me, isn't the book about a UU sports team?

Correct!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

shadok posted:

WH Smith. Today is the UK release date.

An olde style leather football.

Correct!

Damnit, the American website had today listed as the release date, but in-store they told me the 6th...:smith:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I too have a fresh copy (I love WHSmiths, £10 off in total).

Anyone want me to post up the blurb? I forgot this came out until this morning, so I've no idea how much information about it there is online/ how much you guys know about it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Football has come to the ancient city of Ankh-Morpork - not the old-fashioned grubby pushing and shoving, but the new fast football with pointy hats for goalposts and balls that go gloing when you drop them. And now the wizards of Unseen University must win a football match without using magic, so they're in the mood for trying everything else.

The prospect of the Big Match draws in a likely lad with a wonderful talent for kicking a tin can, a maker of jolly good pies, a dim but beautiful young woman, who might just turn out to be the greatest fashion model there has even been, and the mysterious Mr Nutt. (No one knows anything much about Mr Nutt, not even Mr Nutt, which worries him, too.)

As the match approaches, four lives are entangled and changed for ever. because the thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.

Here we go! Here we go! Here we go!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It bears repeating: the US covers suck.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Smiling Jack posted:

It bears repeating: the US covers suck.

Click here for the full 437x666 image.

You weren't kidding.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Ouch. :( The collectors cards are nice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Staggy posted:

Click here for the full 437x666 image.

You weren't kidding.

why are they raising their hands for a football... do they think it`s about basketball?