Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm running a legal copy of Vista Ultimate Retail and I heard if I buy an upgrade for Vista, the upgrade will give you the same version as your Vista. So if you were upgrading Vista Home Premium you would get 7 Home Premium, Vista Business = 7 Professional, and Vista Ultimate = 7 Ultimate. So if I buy the 7 Pro upgrade from Win741.com, will it upgrade my Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate or will it only upgrade to 7 Professional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

brc64 posted:

Also, I was under the vague impression that the only reason they even charged for antivirus in the past was because all of the other AV manufacturer would cry antitrust. Why isn't that happening now? (Not that I mind.. I'll always take free over not free when it's a viable option)

Not included with windows, and others provide it for free. And since everyone has crowed about what extra they offer, MS could use that against them, and they have stated they are targeting the people who won't pay for or does not have antivirus so unlike the Dos 6 MSAV day's I don't think anyone has a good leg to stand on.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

I'm running a legal copy of Vista Ultimate Retail and I heard if I buy an upgrade for Vista, the upgrade will give you the same version as your Vista. So if you were upgrading Vista Home Premium you would get 7 Home Premium, Vista Business = 7 Professional, and Vista Ultimate = 7 Ultimate. So if I buy the 7 Pro upgrade from Win741.com, will it upgrade my Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate or will it only upgrade to 7 Professional?
Yeah I don't think this is true at all.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SpartanIV posted:

No. You'll get what you buy. If you buy Win 7 Pro, you'll upgrade to Win 7 Pro.

Maybe you're thinking of the Vista -> 7 upgrade that OEMs are giving out, where if you buy a PC with Windows Vista, you'll get an upgrade to the same version of Windows 7.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 14, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

brc64 posted:

Okay, whatever, works for me. I wonder if AVG will make me reboot to uninstall...

Reboot anyways, before you install the free MS app. I replaced AVG with the new one and I like it so far.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

I don't think you get it: he can do more things while paying the same amount of money. There's no reason for him NOT to go to Pro.

Yeah yeah. I'm just bitter about the absolutely awesome Home Premium price in Australia.

As of current conversion rates, Home Premium Full Retail will be sold here for $265 USD.

Upgrade is $176 USD.

Edit: For any other Australian goons:

Home Premium Upgrade: $199 AUD
Home Premium Full Retail: $299 AUD

Professional Upgrade: $399 AUD
Professional Full Retail: $449 AUD

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 30, 2009

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I'm sure this has been covered, so please forgive me. Will I need to use a floppy disk and hit F6 for my RAID0 array to work during install, or has Microsoft finally paid attention after 6 years?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

il serpente cosmico posted:

I'm sure this has been covered, so please forgive me. Will I need to use a floppy disk and hit F6 for my RAID0 array to work during install, or has Microsoft finally paid attention after 6 years?
Since Vista you can use cd/dvd-rom and USB sticks during install.
And most of the popular RAID controlers have drivers ready to go on the Windows 7 DVD, and therefor will get picked up properly from the git-go.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone familiar with Themes showing up BLURRY on the Personalize page?

This happens to me under build 7600/RTM, and I was thinking maybe it was just me.

Turns out it has been happening to others, it has been happening since Beta, and it has never been fixed.

http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/2126

Deleting the thumbnail cache doesn't fix it.
Changing color modes and Rebuilding the icon cache doesn't fix it either.

There aren't a lot of links regarding it. I'm guessing the number of people with the issue will increase once Windows 7 actually hits store shelves.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Oh, another thing:

Anyone know why some wallpapers appear clear/empty on the Personalize page as well?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

keyframe posted:

Is there any way to view folder contents always in content view mode so I dont have to switch to it manually everytime I open a folder?

Anyone?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

keyframe posted:

Anyone?

Open a folder that has the view you like. In Explorer go to Tools -> Folder Options -> Apply to Folders.

Download XdN Tweaker (created by the gentleman that posted above you) and use the 'Make Views Stick' feature.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Cisco is phasing out the IPSEC client. Their solution is the AnyConnect client which is SSL only. They now require you to purchase SSL cals for their PIX to use VPN, where as before IPSEC was "free".

The AnyConnect client works in 7x64, for I use it daily.
Is there any reason to use AnyConnect over the built in 7x64 VPN tool? Cost is a non-issue.

Cojawfee posted:

I meant you need a license for whatever OS you are running. So if you are wanting to run any Windows versions, you need a license for it.
I can confirm that XP Mode for 7x64 Pro includes a fully licensed and activated copy of WinXP Pro.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Speaking of XdN Tweaker, I just posted an updated version with some crazy and possibly quite dangerous tweaks!

quote:

October 1st, 2009

- Program now tries to detect system locale.
- Added option to Disable/Enable the Libraries folder under
Windows 7. This is on the Win 7 Interface II page.
- Added third Windows 7 Interface page with two new features:
- New Regional Theme feature. This will enable regional themes
for English versions of Windows 7. I've only tested this on
the EN-US version of Windows 7.
- New Regional Wallpaper feature. This and the above feature
will add new items to the "Personalize" window.
- Hid the old AutoRun disable function and added a newer and
supposedly improved method for preventing programs (such as
malware) from auto-running from external media such as USB drives
or CD/DVD-ROMs. This is for XP/Vista/Windows 7.
- Added link to 3rd party program to let you customize the Windows 7
logon screen background. This on the UAC page under Windows 7.

I don't know if these will melt your face or break your computer or what.

Enjoy!

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Xenomorph posted:

Speaking of XdN Tweaker

I'm waiting until you have to add a scroll bar to the left pane. :holy: That's really the only thing lacking, organization. Sometimes it feels like reading a book to get to that one page with the quote you're looking for.

Also, why would an updated video driver be marked as an important update? I'm sticking with some really old drivers for my nvidia card because anything newer won't let me set the refresh rate on my ancient CRT to anything other than 75hz. (Anything *above* 60 jitters.) It'd be nice to know how to fix this, or if nvidia is just giving CRT's the middle finger.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there any reason to use AnyConnect over the built in 7x64 VPN tool? Cost is a non-issue.

If the built in client works for you, then go ahead and use it. However there are some benefits of going to a SSL VPN such as allowing limited access to resources via any modern browser, and it basically eliminates IP management issues that can happen over IPSEC.

Where I work we ran into a similar issue, so we are just converting over to Juniper equipment instead. I don't know the hardware, but its kind of set up as a SSL/IPSEC hybrid. Much better than Cisco IMHO.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

LooseChanj posted:

I'm waiting until you have to add a scroll bar to the left pane. :holy: That's really the only thing lacking, organization. Sometimes it feels like reading a book to get to that one page with the quote you're looking for.

Also, why would an updated video driver be marked as an important update? I'm sticking with some really old drivers for my nvidia card because anything newer won't let me set the refresh rate on my ancient CRT to anything other than 75hz. (Anything *above* 60 jitters.) It'd be nice to know how to fix this, or if nvidia is just giving CRT's the middle finger.

I got the same thing for ATI drivers last night on both of my Windows7 machines.

Strange thing is that in both cases, I had just recently downloaded the latest ATI drivers from ATI's website a few days ago.

They started as a recommended update, so eventually I just installed them myself (from ATI, not WU), and now it turns into an important update.

Not sure what the deal is, and the info from Windows Update gives me no info on the driver version or anything.

Vastly Outnumbered
Dec 10, 2003

Dyscrasia posted:

I got the same thing for ATI drivers last night on both of my Windows7 machines.

Strange thing is that in both cases, I had just recently downloaded the latest ATI drivers from ATI's website a few days ago.

They started as a recommended update, so eventually I just installed them myself (from ATI, not WU), and now it turns into an important update.

Not sure what the deal is, and the info from Windows Update gives me no info on the driver version or anything.

I did a fresh install of 7 Pro on my HTPC last night, so I went ahead and installed this update after installing the newest drivers on the AMD site. Afterward I wasn't able to access the display configuration page in CCC for my TV and wound up rolling back to the drivers from the AMD site. I didn't think the check the driver version before I removed it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

LooseChanj posted:

........for my nvidia card because anything newer won't let me set the refresh rate on my ancient CRT to anything other than 75hz. (Anything *above* 60 jitters.) It'd be nice to know how to fix this, or if nvidia is just giving CRT's the middle finger.

I think they are giving CRT's a nice big F U... :)

I have a Sony FW900 CRT that does not provide PnP information. By default only 1024x768x60hz is available. Getting the proper resolution and refresh rate on it was a loving nightmare. In Vista/XP its not a problem, add the resolutions and be done with it...

In 7 however. The Nvidia drivers will allow me to add a custom resolution, test it successfully, and then popup and say my device does not support the resolution even though it tested just fine.

I found a particular order of going in and out of Nvidia's control panel while trying to add the proper resolutions multiple times would eventually allow one to be created and used.

My only problem is now that all DirectX and OpenGL games run at headache inducing 60hz, and none of the usual refresh rate locking programs seem to work in 7.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

stevewm posted:

In 7 however. The Nvidia drivers will allow me to add a custom resolution, test it successfully, and then popup and say my device does not support the resolution even though it tested just fine.

I used to have that problem, but I just tried the latest drivers and they actually allowed me to get that custom resolution of 1600x1200@60hz so :woop:

grrowl
Jan 17, 2007

I LOVE 4CHAN YIFF YIFF YIFF

LooseChanj posted:

Not sure, but I've got the same for a "ATI Technologies Inc. driver update for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650" (marked as important). I'm not installing it because last time I did it destroyed my framerate in games and I had to roll back the driver. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

edit: that said, I gave it a shot (for science) and noticed no difference in my limited testing. Device driver updates like this (where the driver is supplied by the manufacturer, and I think microsoft has very little to do with it) seem to be marked as 'Important', at least for nvidia and ATI drivers.

grrowl fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 1, 2009

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

stevewm posted:

...about the Sony FW900...

Well that's loving horrible news. I have the same monitor and plan on moving to Windows 7 in a month or so. And by the way, just so everybody knows, it's the best monitor ever made, seriously. It's a 24" 16:10 CRT that wipes the floor with every LCD I've ever seen. Perfect black levels, scalable resolution that doesn't blur the screen if it's not set to native, colors are bright and clear, no ghosting... it's awesome.

Stevewm, have you tried installing the FW900's dedicated drivers? I don't remember any specific sites, but there are sites with downloadable FW900 drivers that let you configure and add custom resolutions and refresh rates. Try the HardForum thread on the FW900.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 1, 2009

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Here's another quick question--I have an ABit motherboard in my system. Abit no longer exists, and as such, they aren't releasing any updates. Can I assume that most Vista 64 drivers will work in Windows 7?

I also seem to recall Vista natively having drivers for my motherboard's (IP35 Pro) network adapter. Is it likely that Windows 7 will contain these drivers as well?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

il serpente cosmico posted:

Here's another quick question--I have an ABit motherboard in my system. Abit no longer exists, and as such, they aren't releasing any updates. Can I assume that most Vista 64 drivers will work in Windows 7?

I also seem to recall Vista natively having drivers for my motherboard's (IP35 Pro) network adapter. Is it likely that Windows 7 will contain these drivers as well?

You should be just fine. Find a comparable ASUS board, and try the drivers for it if you need them. Other than that 7 is great at having built in drivers.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 1, 2009

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

redeyes posted:

You should be just fine. Find a comparable ASUS board, and try the drivers for it if you need them. Other than that 7 is great at having built in drivers.

Sweet. Browsing some other forums, the consensus seems to be that I should be fine as far as network drivers go in the 64 bit version.

Another silly question--Is it still necessary to install INI software manually these days, or will the OS take care of it?

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Argh. I have here my girlfriend's Inspiron 1501 that I'm trying to install W7 on. I've made a bootable USB drive from an Ultimate ISO (minus ei.cfg as her preorder is Home Premium) that I absolutely know is working but I can't for the life of me get the Dell to boot from it, I suspect it's not possible from what I've managed to glean from the internet. PXE boot is out of the question unless I can find an idiot's guide to setting it up on a W7/WHS system, so I'm left with making a DVD. I've probably used DVDs/CDs a grand total of twice over the last 5 years, the burner in my main computer isn't even plugged in. I found a DVD-RW in the bottom of a box so hopefully I can boot off that.

I need to either edit the ISO to remove ei.cfg, then burn that ISO to the DVD-RW (and make it bootable), or burn the files already extracted to the DVD-RW and make that bootable. Can anyone tell me what programs will do either of these?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Download imgburn and burn the ISO to a DVD. The ISO is already bootable.

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004
My Omnia won't sync with Windows 7 (Ultimate x64), but I can use it as a mass storage device with no problems. Is there any way to get rid of this problem? It worked fine with Windows Vista (Ultimate x64). I'm confused :(

Also, I had this problem with Vista and I had it again last night with 7, my computer will freeze up and I'll have to run Windows repair to get it to boot up again, I'm guessing this is probable the hard disk dying? When I run repair I repair the start-up. It's pretty annoying, the hardware is pretty old (2005 or 6), I suppose but it gets a decent WEI score of 4.9. I guess it's time to upgrade, or I just need a new main hard disk, wanting opinions.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Cojawfee posted:

Download imgburn and burn the ISO to a DVD. The ISO is already bootable.

Yeah but I need to remove ei.cfg from the ISO, otherwise it will install Ultimate and I'll have to reinstall when her Home Premium disc arrives. As I said, I either need to edit the file out of the ISO or make a new bootable ISO with the extracted edited files.

As it happens I'm using ImgBurn now, trying the latter option. It seems to have made an ISO twice as large though, as the only thing I could think of to put in the Boot Image field in the Advanced -> Bootable Disc tab was the original ISO. This 4.9GB ISO won't burn to my 4.7GB DVD-RW. WinRAR says that unpacked the ISO is the correct 2.45GB and there's no duplicated files in there, but when I try to burn it ImgBurn says "Failed to Reserve Track! Reason: Invalid Field in CDB" which as far as I can tell is an overburn error.

EDIT - sorted, the boot image I should have been using was in the ISO, /boot/etfsboot.com. Duh.

Kameleon fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 1, 2009

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Dyscrasia posted:

I just checked the Catalyst control panel and it looks like the MS update rolled me back from 9.9 to 9.7.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
forget it

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
Two questions related to Jump Lists:

1. Is there any good list of programs that take advantage of them?

2. Is there a program that will put an application's tray menu into the jump list for the app?

No matter what I try to search on it just pulls up the same useless blogs that don't tell me anything other than jump lists are a new feature.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Kind of along those same lines, does anybody have aero peek working with tabs in Firefox yet?

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

brc64 posted:

Kind of along those same lines, does anybody have aero peek working with tabs in Firefox yet?

Some guy had an executable replacement that sorta worked, but an update to Firefox broke it.

http://blog.compugeeksoftware.com/blog/software/winfox-ndash-firefox-and-windows-7/

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I had a bunch of apps open when Windows Update decided to upgrade my ATI drivers. :(

How do I get Google Chrome's window to maintain it's size? The width is alright, but it keeps shrinking to midget height (the resolution changed to 640x480 while the driver installed).

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Change it to what ever size you want it , then 'snap' it to the top of the screen (drag it to the top edge) so it maximizes, then 'snap' it back. Works for me.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

brc64 posted:

Seriously, why is this taking so long?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
For the OEM version you can buy yourself will they be using Activation to see if you've installed it on a different computer, or will just not care and ask nicely not to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

Seriously, why is this taking so long?

If you're waiting for some kind of baked in, official solution, don't hold your breath. 3 years in, and the best Mozilla has is mock ups of Firefox with Aero support.

Glasser