Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

A5H posted:

I like pits they are pretty fun.

Agreed

i like adding a little energy to a show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
but to be serious I love moshing in some cases. the type of moshing/dancing that is going on changes it up though. I fckin hate hardcore dancing though. Circle pits yay!

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
So I just discovered a few new bands that I think some people here might like. As far as I can tell, they're all relatively new as well, and are taking metal in a pretty exciting direction.

Lye By Mistake - This band is what you would get if you crossed The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me. They are absolutely insane musicians, and while I guess you could label it as Progressive Metal, they really actually are literally very progressive, often having multiple genre changes in one song.

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - Just listen and see. I'm really having trouble describing them. Extreme metal heavily influenced by ambient, and even that doesn't do it justice.

The Arusha Accord - Like a more post-hardcore sounding SikTh. Extremely chaotic but with a clarity that other bands in the genre don't really have. The songs on their myspace are from their new album which hasn't released yet, but their EP Nightmares of the Ocean is phenomenal.

I love finding crazy new bands like this because metalcore and extreme metal today are so saturated by boring cookie-cutter bands that just play riffs and breakdowns. Good to see there are bands out there really trying to push the envelope.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
I have to throw my hat in as a dancer. Push pits are awesome as long as people can not take offense to being being hit and keep poo poo civil, but I two step and hardcore dance and poo poo mainly. There's nothing better than being at a show, hearing a breakdown that just catches you and makes you go, "Oh poo poo!" and running into the center of the pit and going for broke. I've done my fair share of knocking guys around and laying people out, but at the same time I've taken more than enough fists to the face or kicks to the side, stomach and (sweet merciful Christ) my junk. Business as usual.

Speaking of dancing, does anyone circle pit anymore? One of the bands that recently played with Born of Osiris, Suffokate, After The Burial and All Shall Perish (I think they were called Caliban or something. They sucked) asked people to circle pit and everyone was kinda like, "Wtf...who does that?" Maybe it's just a local thing that we don't get involved with that nonsense. If I wanted to run laps, I'd go to a gym or something.

Edit: Circle pitting spotted two posts up. I should read more closely. I'm not bashing you for doing it, I guess I just don't understand.

MetaKaiser fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 1, 2009

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Wamsutta posted:

So I'm not seeing ETID on Monday because all three of my friends who were going to go with me backed out, and going to shows alone sucks. Oh well.

You serious? Nothing wrong with going to shows alone. First hardcore show I ever went to was ETID/Misery Signals/Zao/With Honor in 2004. I was 17, I had no idea what was going on, I thought I was going to die, and I was alone. The only thing that sucks about going to shows alone is the awkward time in between sets. I almost didn't go because no one would go with me, but I went and got to see ETID play to maybe >200 kids and a set of nothing but LNIT and Hot drat!

When they played Floater I briefly considered fleeing the venue.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I was at a Converge show in Baltimore a few years ago where The Red Chord was one of the openers, and they were all about circle pits. That's the one time I can remember a band highlighting their desire to see the crowd circle.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
Wasn't sure if this belongs in the 'core' thread or the metal thread... I'll probably end up posting it in both.

The crew and I were able to interview the lovely Keith Buckley from Every Time I Die on Tuesday - this is the final result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFjcRfFSlo

Overall, I think our hosts and interviews are turning out better and better with each one. Guess we'll see where this takes us, eh?

Their new single is the poo poo, by the way.

We also got one with Bring Me the Horizon - Lee and Matt, actually. We've interviewed the guys before, and I actually knew the guys a bit while I worked at Earache and their first full-length was being released, but this is our first time talking to them on video. Quiet lads, we'll see how it turns out.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

MetaKaiser posted:

If I wanted to run laps, I'd go to a gym or something.

I could sympathize with you up to this. Sometimes its kinda gay, but it can be kinda fun. I have been trampled before several times though (Set Your Goals drat you!!)

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

It's not something I like to do a whole show or even a whole song though

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah I can understand that. back when I first started going to shows me and my buddies were bigger moshfiends, but now its pretty much just when i feel the RAGE

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Yeah I can understand that. back when I first started going to shows me and my buddies were bigger moshfiends, but now its pretty much just when i feel the RAGE

Xenaba fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 16, 2017

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006
I'm not sure if it's been posted yet but a new BTBAM song was leaked or released I don't know and basically it's incredible.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

A song that isn't Obfuscation or Mirrors?

Mannn...I don't know if I want to hear the album in bits and pieces like this

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

the Bunt posted:

My sentiments exactly. I'm waiting until the whole shebang comes out before I listen to it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

the Bunt posted:

A song that isn't Obfuscation or Mirrors?

I think everything else is just live clips, since they've been playing new songs for a while now.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

the Bunt posted:

It's not something I like to do a whole show or even a whole song though

Yeah, circle pits are kinda fun for about a minute, and then kids get tired and lazy of running around and they tend to degenerate into a really gay tough guy walk.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
ETID setlist follows. There may be one song missing--I'm not sure because I got my glasses knocked off like an idiot and fortunately they went under the stage instead of into the crowd, but I had to wait through part of a song for a security guy to grab them for me

anyway, without further ado, ETID setlist for 10/3 show at Sonar in Bmore:

Roman Holiday
Marvelous Slut
Ebolarama
Bored Stiff
Cities and Years
Floater
Wanderlust
Kill the Music
For the Record
Apocalypse Now and Then
I've Been Gone a Long Time
The New Black
We'rewolf

Oh and lest I forget, they loving killed it. Baltimore crowds rule

emdash fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 3, 2009

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Some of you guys might dig this - a new song by We Came as Romans from their upcoming debut album: http://www.myspace.com/wecameasromans

RIYL: The Devil Wears Prada, Vanna, a lot of Equal Vision Records bands

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

Eight Is Legend posted:

Some of you guys might dig this - a new song by We Came as Romans from their upcoming debut album: http://www.myspace.com/wecameasromans

RIYL: The Devil Wears Prada, Vanna, a lot of Equal Vision Records bands

Love these guys (I think I said that at least once already though). They're coming back to Hangar 84 in November and I cannot wait to see them again. Their new song is pretty sick, I'm digging it. It sounds sorta like a combination of a couple of their other songs (I can hear elements of Shapes, Dreams and Conditions in it). That might seem lazy or whatever, but it actually works really well in this case. Can't wait for more.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

The Dirtyness posted:

Lye By Mistake - This band is what you would get if you crossed The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me. They are absolutely insane musicians, and while I guess you could label it as Progressive Metal, they really actually are literally very progressive, often having multiple genre changes in one song.

A cross between the Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me is a terrible description of Lye By Mistake. Entirely different sounds, entirely different techniques, and entirely different bands. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Business Raptor posted:

A cross between the Dillinger Escape Plan and Between the Buried and Me is a terrible description of Lye By Mistake. Entirely different sounds, entirely different techniques, and entirely different bands. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Hey that's just the feel I got from the album. I really haven't heard anything else like it which is why I had a lot of trouble describing it.

Anyway, here's BTBAM's setlist from Friday night for those interested in what they've been playing this tour:

All Bodies
Selkies: The Endless Obsession
Obfuscation
The Backtrack
Decade of Statues
White Walls

Unfortunately I got there late and missed The Faceless but BTBAM was awesome.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Dirtyness posted:

Hey that's just the feel I got from the album. I really haven't heard anything else like it which is why I had a lot of trouble describing it.

Anyway, here's BTBAM's setlist from Friday night for those interested in what they've been playing this tour:

All Bodies
Selkies: The Endless Obsession
Obfuscation
The Backtrack
Decade of Statues
White Walls

Unfortunately I got there late and missed The Faceless but BTBAM was awesome.

Thank goodness they still open with All Bodies. That poo poo gets me so excited :rock:

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

The Dirtyness posted:

Fair enough, it's tough to describe. Sort of an entire genre to themselves. Ostrich Feathers and Apple Pie is one hell of a song.

Muttonchop
Jul 12, 2008
So, uh, what's the general consensus on the new Converge album?

So far I've only listened to only half of it, and it's already my favorite heavy album this year. They seriously progressed since No Heroes, adding even more obvious elements of d-beat, thrash metal (complete with solos) and stoner rock.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm a Converge fanfag, but jesus christ this is one of the best albums i've ever heard. This is unbelievable.

the phisH
Sep 1, 2006
You help me, and in turn, I am helped by you.
Yeah, this is pretty sick. I don't know if I like it more than No Heroes... but tracks like Wishing Well and Axe to Fall are so goddamn sick.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

I don't know how Converge are this consistent. Album is soooo goooood.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Jesus Christ, this album is nuts. "Damages" especially slays me.

Muttonchop
Jul 12, 2008
Makes more sense now. Here's a list of guest musicians on this album:

* Steve Brodsky (Cave In)
* Adam McGrath (Cave In)
* John-Robert Connors (Cave In, Doomriders)
* Uffe Cederlund (Disfear, ex-Entombed)
* George Hirsch (Blacklisted)[20]
* Brad Fickeisen (The Red Chord)[21]
* Hamilton Jordan (Genghis Tron)[22]
* Mookie Singerman (Genghis Tron)
* John Pettibone (The Vows, Himsa)
* Steve Von Till (Neurosis)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Muttonchop posted:

Makes more sense now. Here's a list of guest musicians on this album:

* Steve Brodsky (Cave In)
* Adam McGrath (Cave In)
* John-Robert Connors (Cave In, Doomriders)
* Uffe Cederlund (Disfear, ex-Entombed)
* George Hirsch (Blacklisted)[20]
* Brad Fickeisen (The Red Chord)[21]
* Hamilton Jordan (Genghis Tron)[22]
* Mookie Singerman (Genghis Tron)
* John Pettibone (The Vows, Himsa)
* Steve Von Till (Neurosis)

Featuring Converge on all songs

brad industry
May 22, 2004
This is the best Converge album since Jane Doe.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I celebrate their entire catalog. I'm a complete fanboy, but they've yet to disappoint so...I see no reason not to be gay for them. Nothing will ever touch Jane Doe, but I definitely like it more than No Heroes. It blows my mind that this band can do no wrong. Most metal and hardcore bands start to get really stale after a couple releases but Converge continues to loving slay everything and melt faces. I've been listening to Axe to Fall all day and am probably on my sixth or seventh listen through and I still can't begin to talk about it with anything but hyperbolic praise.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
ETID was loving phenominal. Awesome show with a ton of energy, plus I walked away with this:

lorenzo
Oct 4, 2009

here are a few of my favorite *core bands:

Psyopus - very technical experimental deathcore, my favorite song is probably Medusa from their latest album.

War from a harlots mouth - transmetropolitan is one of the greatest albums of all time.

See you next tuesday

Liferuiner - maybe they have too much breakdown?? who knows, I love the vocals.

My Autumn - a Russian Melodic deathcore band. give them a listen if you haven't already, a lot of people have never heard of this band but they are one of the best in the deathcore genre in my opinion.

Ion Dissonance - I just found this band, very good. kinda similar to wfahm.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

http://www.myspace.com/continuancehc

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

All That Remains is playing in Houston this weekend. I saw them at Mayhem fest, should I go and see them again? y/n

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007
Between the Buried and Me have announced UK dates and I can't figure out where to get tickets from. This is the best/worst day ever.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I still can't get over this new Converge album. I love how each one is continually just as good or better than the last one, but each has its own sound. Jane Doe sounds like the four guys are playing in a rusty shack with rusty knives as weapons, You Fail Me sounds like an ethereal, haunting dream with ghosts and voodoo spells, No Heroes sounds like the singer is punching you in the face, and this one (to me, anyway) evokes images of my You Fail Me description, only in the middle of a sunlit desert. Picture the game Rage or some poo poo.

Stupid, I know, but it works for me. And it doesn't change the fact that I really shouldn't be surprised that these guys put out a fantastic release, yet I'm still floored by it. I'm not sure how this band exceeds my expectations when they're incredibly unrelalstic, and I'm really not sure how they're always so goddamn consistent, but I'm pleasantly blown away by this release.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

lorenzo posted:

Ion Dissonance - I just found this band, very good. kinda similar to wfahm.

You're wrong - they aren't similar. The song The Bud Dwyer Effect is amazing. So is Play Dead...and I'll Play Along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Banannah posted:

Between the Buried and Me have announced UK dates and I can't figure out where to get tickets from. This is the best/worst day ever.

That's a good thing, I enjoy btbam but they put on easily the worst show possible. You'll be bored to tears 2 minutes in.