Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Sweet. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QXZ
Sep 12, 2003

oooh ouija woman she got the moon in her eyes
OK, I've been hearing this song on the classic rock station recently, and I can never make out the lyrics worth anything.

Here's basically the melody, in a nutshell:

The first part is the vocal melody in the verses. After that is some loud guitar part and the dude going "Yeah."

For some reason I keep thinking I really ought to know what this song is called, I seem to remember hearing it a lot on the "alternative" station in the past, but for some reason the lyrics never stick and I never learned who did it or what it was called.

Thanks in advance!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

QXZ posted:

OK, I've been hearing this song on the classic rock station recently, and I can never make out the lyrics worth anything.

Here's basically the melody, in a nutshell:

The first part is the vocal melody in the verses. After that is some loud guitar part and the dude going "Yeah."

For some reason I keep thinking I really ought to know what this song is called, I seem to remember hearing it a lot on the "alternative" station in the past, but for some reason the lyrics never stick and I never learned who did it or what it was called.

Thanks in advance!
Definitely "Shine" by Collective Soul

QXZ
Sep 12, 2003

oooh ouija woman she got the moon in her eyes

Pablo Gigante posted:

Definitely "Shine" by Collective Soul

22 minutes. I love these forums. :glomp:

Definitely it, and that's great. This song just crawls straight into my head and gets stuck there, and I never know what to google because I can never remember the "heaven let your light shine down" part. Thanks!

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
I heard an electronic song while shopping in H&M. It was pretty standard dancey stuff, and the only lyric I could catch was "I'll tell you what you want to hear", although I could be wrong because some Google searching didn't come up with much. There was a part with just synth/piano, playing just a few chords.

edit: bah, as usual I just found it. The Juan Maclean - One Day.

Charleston Jew fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 4, 2009

GrapeSoda
Oct 22, 2008
When I was in high school I used to spend all my time in the library watching music videos on old streaming sites like launch.com etc. This would have been around 2000 or 2001 and most likely in the rock genre.

I remember seeing a music video with the band playing in the city streets, then when the chorus hit there was a huge wave of water that flooded the city. That's all I remember from it. I can't for the life of me remember how the song went and I've been trying to find it for a while now. Any help?

Herr FLSH
Feb 10, 2006

GrapeSoda posted:

When I was in high school I used to spend all my time in the library watching music videos on old streaming sites like launch.com etc. This would have been around 2000 or 2001 and most likely in the rock genre.

I remember seeing a music video with the band playing in the city streets, then when the chorus hit there was a huge wave of water that flooded the city. That's all I remember from it. I can't for the life of me remember how the song went and I've been trying to find it for a while now. Any help?

Live - The Dolphin's Cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYC3WBFEPvs

GrapeSoda
Oct 22, 2008
Hmm. I don't know if that's the one I am thinking of. The flood was bigger, and I think at the end of the song the band was playing while floating on debris.

Still, that song matches my description perfectly. Must have been a popular trend in music videos.

scumble
Dec 10, 2005

It's Fozzie Bear, not fuzzy bear.

DrSunshine posted:

Looking to identify which Philip Glass song (if any) the particular little bit around 1:55 and 3:24 in this video comes from, or recommendations to any Philip Glass songs that sound a bit like that -- which reach a whole climax where it's a bunch of different patterns all playing at once, layered over one another.

Little late to this one, but the chord progression from the bit at 3:24 is from Truman Sleeps from his soundtrack for The Truman Show. If you like the polyrhythmic piano stuff, try the Opening (or Closing) from Glassworks. That video rocks though

scumble fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 5, 2009

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
I got to see part of a video the other night before falling asleep and liked the song but didn't get to identify it. The video has a man in a car with a very impassive expression on his face, the car is out of control and hitting things going down a city street. As the video progresses it shows that the man is wearing a mask and he is taped up and trapped in the car. I fell asleep before the video ended so I don't know what happens at the end. The video was really dark and shot in lots of blacks and blues.

EllEssDee
Aug 20, 2008

Santa is a trip!
Okay, got the melody of some song stuck in my head, but I can't remember any coherent lyric or the name. The lyrics I think I remember aren't helping me find it, maybe you guys might be able to do better .. What I somewhat remember is;

' I can't (something, something, something, something) - it can't be real..
I know it's somethin' crazy (something something, something) but it feels so real (Could be 'It feels surreal' or 'It feels unreal')

It has a techno backdrop beat to it, and it's a guy singing it

Work your magic goons!

SuperS
Oct 28, 2007
i'm not that super, really

Mr.48 posted:

I'm looking for a cover version of "Careless Whisper" that I heard on a flight a few weeks ago. There seems to be quite a few cover version and Youtube and Google have both failed me. Its done in a a 50's or 60's style, almost doo-wop, but not quite. Help me music-goons!
apologies for an indirect answer, your best bet is to search for Careless Whisper in the iTunes store. I just tried briefly looking for the version you described. There are 149 results and you can sample 30 seconds of each song

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Listening to the radio last night during a road trip, I heard a song that I liked that really wasn't up my alley at all. It was R&Bish with some rap. It sounded like there were some female vocals that were auto-tuned, singing something like "Ew what you say, blah blah something what you say". After this, which I think was the chorus, a dude rapped, or something.

HELPME

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

I got to see part of a video the other night before falling asleep and liked the song but didn't get to identify it. The video has a man in a car with a very impassive expression on his face, the car is out of control and hitting things going down a city street. As the video progresses it shows that the man is wearing a mask and he is taped up and trapped in the car. I fell asleep before the video ended so I don't know what happens at the end. The video was really dark and shot in lots of blacks and blues.
Depeche Mode - Wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bsXOcK9_Cw

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Bean_ posted:

Listening to the radio last night during a road trip, I heard a song that I liked that really wasn't up my alley at all. It was R&Bish with some rap. It sounded like there were some female vocals that were auto-tuned, singing something like "Ew what you say, blah blah something what you say". After this, which I think was the chorus, a dude rapped, or something.

HELPME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj_uqorUYKI

It samples Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek", which is the "Ooh Whatcha Say" part of the song.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Superrodan posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj_uqorUYKI

It samples Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek", which is the "Ooh Whatcha Say" part of the song.

Awesome. That is it! Like I said, this isn't typically my type of music, but I'm going to be rocking this out anyways.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

Nagelfar posted:

Now with direct jump to the sample I'm talking about : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_rJu_20Aps#t=6m44s

No one?
Finally found it, it is used by a band called Acrimony on their song Firedance on their album "Tumuli Shroomaroom" just in case anyone cares. It is stoner rock, not black metal, though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hey all, heard a song on an internet radio station a couple days ago, unfortunately the station doesn't have a recently played list so I couldn't find it.

Anyway, it's a live (or made to sound live, not sure which), it's drug related, it's starts out the singer saying he doesn't know much about drugs. Goes from sniffing the air from whipped creme bottles to "smoking crack out of Nancy Kerrigan's skull"

I found the song quite humorous and want to listen to it again, tried searching around google but can't pull it up! Please help! Thanks!

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
edit: guess I should have checked the youtube comments.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hey all, heard a song on an internet radio station a couple days ago, unfortunately the station doesn't have a recently played list so I couldn't find it.

Anyway, it's a live (or made to sound live, not sure which), it's drug related, it's starts out the singer saying he doesn't know much about drugs. Goes from sniffing the air from whipped creme bottles to "smoking crack out of Nancy Kerrigan's skull"

I found the song quite humorous and want to listen to it again, tried searching around google but can't pull it up! Please help! Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1lL6SGOm-I

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

Was at a party and heard some hiphop song. I remember it was kinda stripped down and there was a lowish voiced, kinda raspy male rapper. I knew I would want to remember the song and I texted myself the lyrics "all i know is women want a ring like frodo" although I suspect that isn't correct, maybe it was "bitches" instead of women. there were also references in the song to smoking weed.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That's the one, thanks!

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHW-dFuBPI
does anyone recognize what they break into around 4:12 between verses?

chelin
Jan 8, 2005
Anyone knows the song in the background? Sounds like a Louis Armstrong song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyoUYlzm_tA

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The music on the radio at work makes me want to rage quit but the other day a song came on that was actually loving awesome. It has a kind of 70s feel to it, and the bass in the chorus (I assume it's the chorus) goes straight quarter notes right down the major scale (maybe at about 110 bpm: do-ti-la-so-fa-mi-re-do) and then the bass funks out while there's some trebly guitar funk chords oh man what is this song

DADA SQUAD
Mar 10, 2007

мудак.
i'm looking for a rock song, i imagine it was relatively popular a few years ago. i can remember most of the lyrics but googling them yields nothing. the chorus goes "you've come a long way baby, you've come a long, long, long way down." i can add more details if required.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

The music on the radio at work makes me want to rage quit but the other day a song came on that was actually loving awesome. It has a kind of 70s feel to it, and the bass in the chorus (I assume it's the chorus) goes straight quarter notes right down the major scale (maybe at about 110 bpm: do-ti-la-so-fa-mi-re-do) and then the bass funks out while there's some trebly guitar funk chords oh man what is this song

Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made for Walkin', maybe?

estesNorwich
Apr 4, 2009

"I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist."

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I'm going to take a guess at 'Fidelity' by Regina Spektor.

I was gonna go with Frou Frou's "Let Go" from the end credits on Garden State

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.
I had one the other day that was bugging the crap out of me, it started off with a very simple, very distinctive acoustic guitar riff, then the drums kick in with a slightly shuffling 4/4 beat, and I remembered exactly how the vocals sounded in the verse, but couldn't remember any of the words or how the chorus went. It turned out to be "Midnight Rider" by the Allman Brothers Band.

It's been a long time since a song had me that stumped, especially one that I should have recognized immediately. It must have crawled into some corner of my psyche along with obscure 80's cartoons and little used Street Fighter special move button sequences.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

good story, i feel like this thread could really turn around if people started posting stories about times they identified songs

Jinxari
May 29, 2009
If anyone could identify this, I'll love you forever. I've been trying to figure out what this is for way too long. It's instrumental.

http://tinyurl.com/yz2fzk6

Herr FLSH
Feb 10, 2006

Jinxari posted:

If anyone could identify this, I'll love you forever. I've been trying to figure out what this is for way too long. It's instrumental.

http://tinyurl.com/yz2fzk6

Shazam says it's Steve Sharples - Closing Credits: Bolero (original film version) from moulin rouge

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
Ok this has been bugging me for two days now.

On friday I went to Urban Outfitters. I rarely ever go shopping for clothes in the mall but i'm glad i did because they had some really great music playing that day.

I heard this really awesome track that sounded like it took its roots from Jeff Wayne's war of the worlds, and had a really awesome late 70s early 80s synth/instrumental groove.

Ever since I was little I always loved this style of music the best, from the aforementioned war of the worlds, or the really cool soundtracks that animated films of that era had.

Anyways, I have no idea what the track was, but are there any groups out there today that try to achieve a sound like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvwxvCOSH4 The intro to War of the Worlds.

Justice the french house group achieves this sound sometimes too, and every once in awhile I hear things that approach that. I guess i'm just looking for more of the same.

thanks for any suggestions.

Jinxari
May 29, 2009

Herr FLSH posted:

Shazam says it's Steve Sharples - Closing Credits: Bolero (original film version) from moulin rouge

Holy crap, I would have never known it was from that. That's definitely it. Thank you so much!!!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rodnik posted:

Ok this has been bugging me for two days now.

On friday I went to Urban Outfitters. I rarely ever go shopping for clothes in the mall but i'm glad i did because they had some really great music playing that day.

I heard this really awesome track that sounded like it took its roots from Jeff Wayne's war of the worlds, and had a really awesome late 70s early 80s synth/instrumental groove.

Ever since I was little I always loved this style of music the best, from the aforementioned war of the worlds, or the really cool soundtracks that animated films of that era had.

Anyways, I have no idea what the track was, but are there any groups out there today that try to achieve a sound like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvwxvCOSH4 The intro to War of the Worlds.

Justice the french house group achieves this sound sometimes too, and every once in awhile I hear things that approach that. I guess i'm just looking for more of the same.

thanks for any suggestions.

Try Danger. Or have a look in this thread here for similar stuff.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

Try Danger. Or have a look in this thread here for similar stuff.

Yeah, I know about the french house scene, and Danger is something i definitely enjoy listening to. What I'm looking for isn't necessarily club music though.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Kind of a tough one here.

There was an instrumental song that would play on the now-defunct oldies station in my hometown that has been stuck in my head for years, but I've never been able to figure out what it is.

It has a vaguely surf rock feel, and was generally really chill and awesome. From what I can tell (i.e. scouring the Internet for recordings), it is not one of the songs on the wikipedia List of Rock Instrumentals page, but I might've missed one or two.

For lack of a better option, I've recorded myself "singing" the part of the melody I remember. Apologies for terrible recording quality and having to listen to my voice:

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Poop Delicatessen posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ11y7pYl-8

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Thank you forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justinoid
Nov 16, 2005

Ass Gas or Grass, No one rides for free
This isn't exactly a name this song question, its more along the lines of name the bands in this video. For a bit of background, I'm playing a puzzle solving game called Midnight Madness. The pregame clues have taken me to this website with the following videos, and I am fairly certain the clue involves being able to name all the bands featured.
http://www.midnightbattleofthebands.com/Final_converted.mp4 (Apologies for the large file size, 18ish megs)

So far I've been able to ID RHCP at the start, not able to ID the second, Fugazi third, Minor Threat as the fourth band, several I'm not able to ID in the middle, followed by Misfits, Danzig, and lastly Fear. My knowledge of punk is somewhat limited, and this seemed the most appropriate place to inquire. I do know the background music is the song, Waiting Room, by Fugazi(the Atom and his Package cover) Appreciate any help in advance.

*edit* Username: keith Pass: richards to log in.

justinoid fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 12, 2009