Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cakefool posted:

So, is the tales thread no more? Also, is this thread just for painted works?

This is basically the tales thread but without the stupid poo poo about having to paint $50 in models a month or you're out. You can post in progs, ask painting questions, give criticism or just post really cool inspiring pictures. If you want to pledge something for the month, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Big Willy Style posted:

In tutorials mention that gesso is poo poo and don't listen to anyone who wants to spend hours undercoating instead of minutes.

Also, I have a Trollblood warpack lying around at home that has no chance of selling so I am thinking of painting them in the most possibly offensive way in the eye of Privateer Press fanboys. I am thinking ultramarine colourscheme with upside down omega's.

Haha, do it! That's be awesome.

Question: Do people usually use different brushes for normal and metallic paints?

Aranan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 4, 2009

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I do. At least use different water pots.

Content:

Click here for the full 845x634 image.

Click here for the full 704x528 image.

Click here for the full 528x704 image.

Click here for the full 1408x1056 image.

Click here for the full 634x845 image.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Aranan posted:

Haha, do it! That's be awesome.

Question: Do people usually use different brushes for normal and metallic paints?

I have heard of those hard core european painters doing it, but it is a bit extreme otherwise.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
God drat I remember I made this thread 2 years ago back when TG was just a shitfest of Play by Posts. Never made it to page 2. I'll be posting my stuff as I get my camera going again.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Big Willy Style posted:

I have heard of those hard core european painters doing it, but it is a bit extreme otherwise.

I use my old s7 brushes for metallics, and my new ones for non-metallics. Metallics are very harsh on brushes :\

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I use my old s7 brushes for metallics, and my new ones for non-metallics. Metallics are very harsh on brushes :\

Yeah I have noticed that actually.

I get by with the one set of lovely synthetic brushes that cost $2-3 from the craft store. I should really invest in some s7 windsor and newton brushes. I can get them cheaper online rather than buying locally but I have always been a bit aprehensive about ordering them because I just picture them arriving with bristles poking every which way.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PV you gonna tell me how you did the grey for those plague marines/death guard?

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

I AM A FAGORT, HUMP MY RUMP!!!
Here's some photos of the ork stuff I've been painting at a snails pace.

New Plastic Nob

Old Metal Nob he's replacing, I really like the way he came out.

I have an irrational love of deffkoptas

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Yeah I have noticed that actually.

I get by with the one set of lovely synthetic brushes that cost $2-3 from the craft store. I should really invest in some s7 windsor and newton brushes. I can get them cheaper online rather than buying locally but I have always been a bit aprehensive about ordering them because I just picture them arriving with bristles poking every which way.

They ship them with bristle guards in brush containers. It's not at all a problem.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't know if I like this new thread. It was always awesome in the old thread where you could click on a person's post history and slowly watch their army come together. :unsmith:

I mean, I'll be doing the same thing no matter what, but I'd always catch myself checking out other poster's progress and now half the pictures are just a bunch of random models. :smith:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 4, 2009

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
This thread won't fill up nearly as quickly and soon enough you'll see people's army histories the same way.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, the imagespam will slow down after another page or so. Also, if you want to track progress, POST YOUR NEW BA'S :clint:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

PV you gonna tell me how you did the grey for those plague marines/death guard?

nope :d:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, the imagespam will slow down after another page or so. Also, if you want to track progress, POST YOUR NEW BA'S :clint:

FINE GODDAMMIT UGH

BA Dread, weapons, magnets.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

nope :d:

pv you a dick

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
A dick that don't release his painting recipes

A shameful dick

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Yeah my next project is chaos marines (my dark elves are almost done, and I will provide pics when I have finished moving house) and death guard + typhus are the poo poo model wise, and will be included in my army. Give us your recipe!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just to elaborate, the client paid quite a bit for this army and Im not giving the recipes because its

a - hard to replicate because it uses a lot of funky glazing technique
b - I dont want any copycats of them out there :)

But anything else I paint Ill hand out recipes/help, just not these.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

bhsman posted:

A dick that don't release his painting recipes

A shameful dick

Smoke a bowl, paint awesome.
:350:

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

PaintVagrant posted:

Just to elaborate, the client paid quite a bit for this army and Im not giving the recipes because its

a - hard to replicate because it uses a lot of funky glazing technique
b - I dont want any copycats of them out there :)

But anything else I paint Ill hand out recipes/help, just not these.

recipe us up your ahriman, I remember it being poo poo hot and I have a hard on for chaos still

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

recipe us up your ahriman, I remember it being poo poo hot and I have a hard on for chaos still

What colors are you interested in? Im not going to try to remember every single color, but if there is a certain part or something that you would like to repeat Ill try to figure out what I did

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

PaintVagrant posted:

What colors are you interested in? Im not going to try to remember every single color, but if there is a certain part or something that you would like to repeat Ill try to figure out what I did

The whitish blue on his robes was great, and any tips for blending too?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Ikke en viking posted:

I do. At least use different water pots.
Yeah, I've got two different water mugs for metallics/normals. I guess I'll just keep using one brush set for both and hope I don't wind up with lovely models (who am I kidding, I never paint).

Big Willy Style posted:

I have always been a bit aprehensive about ordering them because I just picture them arriving with bristles poking every which way.
They come with a bristle guard on the tip of the brush and the entire thing is in a hard plastic tube. I've ordered 4 from dickblick.com so far and none of them have had any damage at all.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

The whitish blue on his robes was great, and any tips for blending too?

what whitish blue?

The robes was probably a bleach bone or equivalent, plus thinned shades of snakebite leather built up in the recesses. White mix for highlights.

If you could post a model that youre having trouble w blending, I could tell give you some advice :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I am interested in doing a limited color scheme. Black armor with black clothing (and silver/gold detailing but whatev). The only thing I'm worried about is making the armor and clothing look different. I guess I could just count on the sculpts being enough to show the difference between baggy pants or armor plating, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

I'm trying to figure out how this guy pulled it off. It kind of looks like he just highlighted the pants more than the armor and did it in a softer, somewhat blended way as opposed to the hard edge highlighting on the armor. Does that sound about right?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Aranan posted:

I am interested in doing a limited color scheme. Black armor with black clothing (and silver/gold detailing but whatev). The only thing I'm worried about is making the armor and clothing look different. I guess I could just count on the sculpts being enough to show the difference between baggy pants or armor plating, but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

I'm trying to figure out how this guy pulled it off. It kind of looks like he just highlighted the pants more than the armor and did it in a softer, somewhat blended way as opposed to the hard edge highlighting on the armor. Does that sound about right?

Yeah. The armor highlighting is broader but it does not build up to the same whiteness. That makes sense since metallic armor is more reflective than cloth pants.

The highlighting on the armor is much more harsh. Like you said, its more "concentrated" and it gets to a lighter shade of blue-gray, while the pants are pretty much only done up to a mid cool gray.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It looks like the armor is more cool, and the pants are maybe a warmer grey. He definitely went to a sharper, lighter highlight on the armor.

Aranan: paint up a test model!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crappy picture, sorry.

Novamarines Captain (Counts-as Pedro Kantor)

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Aranan posted:

I believe using a light brown like Kommando Khaki or Bleached Bone is also good for making black fabrics look more "fabric-y". I'm not sure this is the technique used, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Also, to contribute, my Master of the Arsenal:

I know I should have thinned my paint a bit more, especially white. And my camera doesn't like macrophotography.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
As soon as I get my camera working, I am so gonna fill this thread with my crappy paintjobs so as to get some constructive criticism.

First question though: How the heck is blending/feathering supposed to work? I want to do a red cape that fades to orange at the base, my idea so far is thus:
- Basecoat in Mechrite Red, wait to dry
- Coat bottom of cloak in Macharius Solar Orange, then dry out the brush and brush upwards from the still-wet orange paint
- Badab Black up in this bitch
- Drybrush with Golden Yellow

Thoughts? I'm kind of at a loss on how to do this, and want to give it a shot while I still have an assload of Descent models to paint

[EDIT] On testing, it seems that the above method blows chunks, and the best way to go is with judicious drybrushing of orange from the bottom up

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 5, 2009

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
To do that cloak I'd basecoat with the lowest red you want, and do like 5 or 6 more layers on top, each one marginally more orange and leaving the lower color on the darker parts. glaze it with thinned baal red or whatever, and maybe do a highlight again with the orange

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm starting to paint my Wood Elves today, and I'm going for an Autumn theme. One of the ideas I have pinging around in my little brain is wanting to base them with little fallen leaves, but I can't think of a way to make them / place to buy them.

Ideas I have had:
- Cutting tiny pieces of paper - seems like a bad idea because they'll be too flimsy to paint.
- Shaving little bits off sprue chunks - my most likely, but it's going to take FOREVER and they won't come out the right shape really.

Any suggestions? Or any tips of places that sell leaf-shaped modelling flock (that are in the UK, or ship internationally.)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
edit ^^^^^ Use birch seed leaves. http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/24 You can also buy them from various modeling places, but I don't have any links handy.

Here's what THEORYPAINTER ARANAN would do:

Take the end red and orange colors that you want. Paint the entire cloak red. then, make a mix of 2:1 red:orange paint and do the top 4/5 of the cape. Then a 1:1 mix and do the top 3/5 of the cape. Then a 1:2 mix, top 2/5 of the cape. Then use pure orange and do the top 1/5 of the cape. Hit the whole thing with a light was of red ink (or Baal Red wash) and maybe do one more light lighlight of the orange on the top edge.

Make sure you're using very thing layers of paint and it should blend together by itself due to the paint's transparency.

red:orange mixes - 1:0 2:1 1:1 1:2 0:1

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Aranan posted:

edit ^^^^^ Use birch seed leaves. http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/24 You can also buy them from various modeling places, but I don't have any links handy.

Outstanding. More of these kind of tricks.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

As soon as I get my camera working, I am so gonna fill this thread with my crappy paintjobs so as to get some constructive criticism.

First question though: How the heck is blending/feathering supposed to work? I want to do a red cape that fades to orange at the base, my idea so far is thus:
- Basecoat in Mechrite Red, wait to dry
- Coat bottom of cloak in Macharius Solar Orange, then dry out the brush and brush upwards from the still-wet orange paint
- Badab Black up in this bitch
- Drybrush with Golden Yellow

Thoughts? I'm kind of at a loss on how to do this, and want to give it a shot while I still have an assload of Descent models to paint

[EDIT] On testing, it seems that the above method blows chunks, and the best way to go is with judicious drybrushing of orange from the bottom up

Basically the idea with blending is getting a smooth transition of colour by basically mixing it while it is still wet on the model. It is pretty hard to do, especially with foundation paints, and you can get similar results with lots of layering.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Speaking of tips, found the Cool Mini Or Not Ultimate Painting Guide (link removed for :filez: ). 400 pages of painting tips and practical guides that even total amateurs can get something out of, and seems to have some decent tips for veterans later on.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 6, 2009

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

bobvonunheil posted:

Speaking of tips, found the Cool Mini Or Not Ultimate Painting Guide. 400 pages of painting tips and practical guides that even total amateurs can get something out of, and seems to have some decent tips for veterans later on.

Wow. Very cool

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've got 5 tactical marines and 5 assault marines I want to paint and stick in the shop window. I'm thinking I should paint them each in a different color scheme. I'm not sure if I should paint main chapters that have codexes and special rules and fancy upgrade bits or if I should paint other chapters. Any ideas for this project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

hey guys guess what's in this briefcase

:aaaaa:

(p334 of that CMON book I just linked. godDAMN.)

• Locked thread