Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!

SlayVus posted:

I meant to get myself a second 4870 X2 down the line, but since the HD 5 series are coming out and I'll be going to Basic in a little over a month.......

Yeah, I got three PCs in one case

I don't know what you mean by three PCs, but I hope you still don't have those hard drives in a RAID 5 configuration (I read one of your other posts). You seem to building your computer for "speed" ... you know that's slower than a RAID 0 or 10 configuration, or even having plain regular un-raided drives, right?

And another suggestion, with all that money you're putting INTO the computer, you should spend some to spend some money to upgrade what you're putting your computer ONTO (the desk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

ExileStrife posted:

I don't know what you mean by three PCs, but I hope you still don't have those hard drives in a RAID 5 configuration (I read one of your other posts). You seem to building your computer for "speed" ... you know that's slower than a RAID 0 or 10 configuration, or even having plain regular un-raided drives, right?

And another suggestion, with all that money you're putting INTO the computer, you should spend some to spend some money to upgrade what you're putting your computer ONTO (the desk).

He should do a Raid 0 or raid 1 for the OS. (I would do raid 1, but some people like to live dangerously).

He could do a raid 5 for the data drives if he wanted.

Why would you need 2 such powerful cards? Its only needed for 2560 x 1600.

I don't see a 30 inch display sitting at your computer......

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

malefactor posted:

He should do a Raid 0 or raid 1 for the OS. (I would do raid 1, but some people like to live dangerously).

He could do a raid 5 for the data drives if he wanted.

Why would you need 2 such powerful cards? Its only needed for 2560 x 1600.

I don't see a 30 inch display sitting at your computer......

Want, not need.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ExileStrife posted:

What I said was a jokingly reply to this. Also, my desk is a 15th century pub table... I'll keep it like it is.

Spatial posted:

Are there two other high end computers hidden inside that case, or is the 1KW PSU simply decorative?

I went with RAID-5 because I wanted increased speed, but I also wanted data parity in case one of my hard drives ever failed. The 4870 X2 and the idea of getting the second one was, as Trapdoor said, a want, not a need.

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

My Rig. My clock is spinning too fast for the camera.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Barfosaurus posted:

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

My Rig. My clock is spinning too fast for the camera.

Is that a screen saver on your iPhone? If so, how does it work?

untermensch
Aug 1, 2004

SlayVus posted:

What I said was a jokingly reply to this. Also, my desk is a 15th century pub table... I'll keep it like it is.

I went with RAID-5 because I wanted increased speed, but I also wanted data parity in case one of my hard drives ever failed. The 4870 X2 and the idea of getting the second one was, as Trapdoor said, a want, not a need.

Is that a choose sysadmin poster in your pic?

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho

glompix posted:

Is that a screen saver on your iPhone? If so, how does it work?

It's an app called Spawn Illuminati:
http://www.148apps.com/reviews/spawn-illuminati/

I just put it on when it's docked because it's better than looking at the main screen.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

untermensch posted:

Is that a choose sysadmin poster in your pic?

I hear some airplanes...

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

UserNotFound posted:

Bonus shot of my work desk (same size) with a 2001fp and three 17" (I'm OCD with window management:

How do you not get pissed off when your mouse gets stuck in between screens due to the differing resolutions of each monitor. I always have to plan my multi-monitor setups with the same vertical dimension on each monitor and the same vertical resolution.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Modern Pragmatist posted:

How do you not get pissed off when your mouse gets stuck in between screens due to the differing resolutions of each monitor. I always have to plan my multi-monitor setups with the same vertical dimension on each monitor and the same vertical resolution.

The bottom edges are aligned, and it's actually nice having the top of the middle one not: I can just slam the cursor up there to hit the close button on a window without flying over onto the next screen. I tried it aligned at the top, but it bothered me to no end the first day. 2nd day I put them like this and I really like it.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Girlfriend's setup (that loving desk was heavy):

Mine:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Bahama.Llama posted:

Mine:

I have that same desk from Crate and Barrel

Heh, I took this picture about a year and a half ago

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Al iMac 24"
Logitech MX Revolution
Apple bluetooth keyboard
Creative T40 Series II speakers
Samsung HL2140 laser printer w/ Headcrab plushie on top
Huge loving fan

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

chief touching you posted:

I have that same desk from Crate and Barrel

Heh, I took this picture about a year and a half ago

Hell yes. I couldn't afford the matching file cabinet as a couch was the priority. Look very nice though... looking forward to having some more money someday.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
my roommate and I share and office, left half is mine.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
okay.. I took a better picture cause it's pretty much finished being setup

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
I have a Galant desk, and others in this thread have a Galant desk judging from the pictures.

I've always maintained that the T-legs are the only way to go for the Galants, but a friend is buying a used Galant that is similar to this corner setup (it's just as long):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wardomatic/3876383777/in/set-72157622202428512/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wardomatic/sets/72157622202428512/

Any Galant owners have any experience with an L-shaped layout with the 4-corner legs instead of the T-legs? Just seems like it would not be as sturdy.

Schmuckrat
Sep 9, 2004
Hazy with attendant thoughts
I don't know why it's relaxing to browse other people's desks, but it certainly is. Here is my corner:

Music provided by the wonderful Adam A7 monitors via an Echo Audiofire 8 sitting under my monitor; otherwise by the ATH-AD900s to one side there.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

tonelok posted:

I have a Galant desk, and others in this thread have a Galant desk judging from the pictures.

I've always maintained that the T-legs are the only way to go for the Galants, but a friend is buying a used Galant that is similar to this corner setup (it's just as long):

Any Galant owners have any experience with an L-shaped layout with the 4-corner legs instead of the T-legs? Just seems like it would not be as sturdy.

Are you a traditional animator? :swoon:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Tonelok, I love your setup. I've never seen something that looks so cluttered yet so organized.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I don't think that setup is his..

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Guys I don't think that's tonelok's desk since "that is similar to this corner setup" is what he says ;) (e:f,b)

tonelok posted:

I'm not 100% sure if it's actually a Galant but a friend of mine has a desk shaped like the one in that picture, and it's on T-legs - I think it's two T-legs on every side and he used to have a 17 or 19 inch CRT in the corner, so it certainly held that sturdily. It only started to bend when he climbed on it and was towards the outer edge. You could also prop the outer corner up with one single leg there.

Come to think of it, two T-legs, i.e. two on every side of that L shape would meet up uncomfortably in the inner curve, i.e. you couldn't really sit there. Meh.

hydrixel
Oct 28, 2002

Everyday.

Don Lapre posted:

replaced my old 20" imac

I'm in love with those Eames aluminum group chairs, great choice. I have a management chair at work with the soft-pad high back in black leather. If I wasn't working 10 hour days as of late, I'd take it home with me...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tonelok posted:

I have the four corner legs for my galant. I posted a pic earlier in this thread.

Edit: here it is:

Steakandchips posted:

Home desk:

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

It's sturdy as gently caress. Not even the slightest hint of a wobble.

The main thing I like the corner legs over the T's is that my feet won't hit the the horizontal bits of the T when I'm sitting at my desk.

I have a regular Galant though, not L shaped. Shouldn't affect it's sturdiness though.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 30, 2009

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hydrixel posted:

I'm in love with those Eames aluminum group chairs, great choice. I have a management chair at work with the soft-pad high back in black leather. If I wasn't working 10 hour days as of late, I'd take it home with me...

i dont think ive ever sat in one of the soft pads, they look soft

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I have a galant with the corner legs... but it's not an L desk. The T-Leg setup was, $20 more I think? I think the corner legs look goofy, but i think they'd be MORE steady than the T-Leg (since the stance of the desk is wider).

As Steakandchips said, my desk is sturdy as gently caress. No wobble at all, and I could probably jump up onto this thing without problems.

EDIT: Quoting myself so as to include my picture

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm going to have to pick up that Galant the next time I have enough money (and time) to make a trip down to Charlotte.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

The Third Man posted:

Are you a traditional animator? :swoon:

the posted:

Tonelok, I love your setup. I've never seen something that looks so cluttered yet so organized.
I wish I was a traditional animator. That's the home office of Ward Jenkins. I have no idea who he is, other than he set it up pretty drat nice for such a small space.

syphon posted:

I have a galant with the corner legs... but it's not an L desk. The T-Leg setup was, $20 more I think? I think the corner legs look goofy, but i think they'd be MORE steady than the T-Leg (since the stance of the desk is wider).
Actually the T-Legs are supposed to be sturdier but they are both sturdy from what it looks like. It's a pretty good sized chunk of metal either way. I have the T-legs and they are rock-solid.

Zwille posted:

I'm not 100% sure if it's actually a Galant but a friend of mine has a desk shaped like the one in that picture, and it's on T-legs - I think it's two T-legs on every side and he used to have a 17 or 19 inch CRT in the corner, so it certainly held that sturdily. It only started to bend when he climbed on it and was towards the outer edge. You could also prop the outer corner up with one single leg there.
We found it by looking up ikea Galant on Flickr and it looks like a Galant from photos on ikea.com, but it looks like he built two full-size Galants and then added the corner piece, rather than just buy the smaller combination from the photo below. I was thinking it wasn't fully supported in the middle because I couldn't see the corner legs in his pictures, but I had a brain fart and wasn't looking at the combinations on ikea.com. They have actually have corner legs for the L-shaped setups:

After going back and looking through his flickr set, in one of the photos you can see that he does in fact have the corner legs, but they are kind of hidden. They can always buy the corner legs if it doesn't come with them for some reason.

tohveli
Nov 25, 2007

♪ オー マリア
I would post my home setup, but it's too big to fit in a single picture (great many long desks) and there's embarassingly big piles of paper and other essential things I would rather not share with you.

Here a few photos from my work desk though

A generic windows computer with two displays for emailing and other trivial tasks, a linux laptop for the real work, and an eee pc running linux for personal stuff.

It Freshens!
Feb 12, 2005

What's the difference between Galant and Vika that makes one about $250 and the other about $50 for a similarly sized desk? I need a desk and I'm cheap so I'm leaning toward Vika, but I don't want any nasty surprises when I could make a good solid investment in a good desk.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

It Freshens! posted:

What's the difference between Galant and Vika that makes one about $250 and the other about $50 for a similarly sized desk? I need a desk and I'm cheap so I'm leaning toward Vika, but I don't want any nasty surprises when I could make a good solid investment in a good desk.

There are many possible combinations of both the Vika and Galant. Which are you looking at? If it's the two I'm linking below, then they're certainly not the same size. Also the Vika looks dumb, imo.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19859096
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69807217

It Freshens!
Feb 12, 2005

If you get it piece-by-piece (the top + 5 legs) the Vika is $70 for a 78" top, which is larger than the $250 galant you linked to.

Oh, as a side question, does anyone know if you can mix and match legs and tabletops from other systems? Vika seems fine to me except the legs aren't adjustable height.

It Freshens! fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 5, 2009

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

It Freshens! posted:

If you get it piece-by-piece (the top + 5 legs) the Vika is $70 for a 78" top, which is larger than the $250 galant you linked to.

Oh, as a side question, does anyone know if you can mix and match legs and tabletops from other systems? Vika seems fine to me except the legs aren't adjustable height.

Those legs pictured in the above link on the Vika suck rear end. Basically the Galant is built like a tank and that vika is built like a chinese made automobile. Using one to provide mid support on a long table would be OK, but it would suck rear end as a primary support method.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

It Freshens! posted:

The Galant has real wood veneers; the Vika is just melamine foil and paint. The Vika also uses a combination of particleboard and fiberboard; the Galant doesn't use fiberboard.

rubbersoul
Oct 11, 2007
curse you mop toppers!

I miss my Ikea Jerker, but my apartment came furnished.

Also anybody know of a good deal on a laptop stand? The basket I'm using isn't quite cutting it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

rubbersoul posted:

Also anybody know of a good deal on a laptop stand? The basket I'm using isn't quite cutting it.

Because I saw two other people with it I bought the mStand by Rain Design
http://www.amazon.com/mStand-Laptop-Stand-Rain-Design/dp/B000OOYECC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254716344&sr=8-1

I quite like it.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

rubbersoul posted:

If you want to be extremely cool looking, buy the Xtand Pro: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV764LL/A

The Griffin Elevator is cheaper, but not as cool looking: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TK651LL/A

I have one of each (two laptops) and I'd recommend the Xtand if you want to pay for it. Both work well.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

rubbersoul posted:

Also anybody know of a good deal on a laptop stand?

http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/macbook-docking-stand

http://www.balmuda.com/en/products/c/floater/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ma33y
Jan 28, 2009