Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Built the Axial scaler a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm trying to fit electronics in it, I can't find the right servo mounts. Or a radio crystal. argh.

compressioncut posted:

It was by a long shot, the fastest in a straight line compared to the C- or B-main cars, and maybe even the A-cars.

I don't want to sound patronizing at all because I have no idea if you race much, but it's corner speed you want, straight line speed is only good in one part of the track :) took me ages to figure that out! But as long as you're having fun, go for it. The rule of thumb that I stuck with for a long time was to hit top speed about 70-80% down the main straight, I don't know what other people use to gauge their gearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, at least in the old days if you were flying past everyone on the back straight, it meant you were overgeared and were probably losing time in the twisties / running your battery down too hard. (When you only had 1500-1700 mAh to play with, you had to gear down to run a full four or eight minutes!)

With modern batteries it's probably less of an issue, but I'd still wager you're losing more time coming out of the corners than you're gaining on the end of the back straight.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

krushgroove posted:

Built the Axial scaler a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm trying to fit electronics in it, I can't find the right servo mounts. Or a radio crystal. argh.

I don't want to sound patronizing at all because I have no idea if you race much, but it's corner speed you want, straight line speed is only good in one part of the track :) took me ages to figure that out! But as long as you're having fun, go for it. The rule of thumb that I stuck with for a long time was to hit top speed about 70-80% down the main straight, I don't know what other people use to gauge their gearing.

Oh I know, it was just interesting that the car, never raced before, was amongst the fastest all out. The track layout really benefited a fast car, as the main straight was very long followed by a sweeper that allowed you keep the throttle pinned all the way through. I was out-muscling other cars about 40% of the way down the straight, with plenty of grunt in the slow sections. Handling was quite good using a setup I got from the net. I had the lock range dialed down due to a steering linkage setup issue, so I had a minor problem with the chicane/hairpin complex - I had to be very precise but that was beyond my skill. I needed more lock to regain the line, but didn't have it, so that's where I lost all my time.

Driving a season of 1/12 pan car should help me with driving a good line.

The fastest guy all day was an A-main driver using a Tekin RS. He had the boost figured out and the thing was a rocketship. I believe it was a Corally car with a duo-based motor, probably a Fantom.

Trying to track down a west coast mail order place with good 3.7v lipo packs in stock. Surprise surprise, with 12th scale season starting everyone seems to be sold out.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool :)

If you're real hard on throttle-brake-throttle-brake you can lose tons of times on certain track layouts but with a true flowing layout (Tamiya USA track is the only example I can think of) you can do really well with a higher-than-normal gearing setup and smooth driving style. Unfortunately I've been out of racing for a while so the whole timing advance and boost thing with the new speedos is beyond me.

I'm really dithering on getting a whole new radio setup, since the last set I got was a 40MHz KO one, like what Hara used to run...when I went to Holland to use it nothing worked and I haven't gotten it fixed, and then 2.4GHz got massive. So now I have to get it fixed before I can even sell it or think about getting the KO/Spectrum 2.4 module for it, which will cost as much as a whole new 'non-racing' 2.4 radio set :P All I'll be using it for is crawlers, F1 car and maybe a Cup Racer so I don't need all the computer stuff and super-fast connection.

I'm looking at two different ones, with two receivers the come out to the same approximate cost: the Spektrum DX3.0 with 2 receivers is £115 and the Ansmann (made by Sanwa) system is £68 with one receiver (extra will be £35+). The Spektrum has more adjustments for fine-tuning but only 4 model memory, the Sanwa has 10-model memory.

Does anyone know if it's possible to bind different brands of receivers/transmitters? I haven't seen much on this so I'm guessing it doesn't work.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

I'm looking at two different ones, with two receivers the come out to the same approximate cost: the Spektrum DX3.0 with 2 receivers is £115 and the Ansmann (made by Sanwa) system is £68 with one receiver (extra will be £35+). The Spektrum has more adjustments for fine-tuning but only 4 model memory, the Sanwa has 10-model memory.

I think you might be mixing your models? The DX3.0S comes with two receivers and 10 model memory whereas the DX3.0 has one receiver and 4 model memory.

That being said, I think the DX3.0S is awesome. I probably would have picked that over my 3PM 2.4 if I had known about Spektrum when I got back into the hobby.

Interchangeable grips, fewer batteries, and telemetry crap to play with.

krushgroove posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to bind different brands of receivers/transmitters? I haven't seen much on this so I'm guessing it doesn't work.

Pretty sure they all use different protocols.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I need to post later about the Losi XXT pipe that I'm trying to wedge on my Associated Monster GT. Have to cut down the sideskirt to make it fit.

Previous owner had one of those stupid dual-exit rear exhausts from RDLogic mounted on it. http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=62750XP&type=store. Had some 40 million mile long, hand bent, 3 part header to get it back there too.

Then I'll be stuffing a JR Z9100T servo on it for steering as the cheapass hobbico servo isn't really doing the job. 150oz/in to 370oz/in ought to be significant.

Pics later.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

Pretty sure they all use different protocols.

I think some of them are compatible, but for the most part you're best off running with a paired system.

God, this thread is killing me - there's simply no on-road tracks here that race Saturdays that aren't in an unprepared parking lot.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

kuffs posted:

I think you might be mixing your models? The DX3.0S comes with two receivers and 10 model memory whereas the DX3.0 has one receiver and 4 model memory.

Yeah this is a deal from a UK model shop with the DX3.0 with 2 receivers for £115, for any UK goons just google JE Spares, he's running it on ebay and his web shop.

IOwnCalculus posted:

God, this thread is killing me - there's simply no on-road tracks here that race Saturdays that aren't in an unprepared parking lot.

Just raise the ride height a bit, run thinner oil and treaded tires :) If you have fun it's all worth it. Oh wait you're talking about pan cars I think...!

Thanks for the answers about the 2.4GHz protocols too - I think I'll just have to stick with analog for now, I'm already buying this ridiculous cycling outfit and taking a weekend trip this month so I just can't afford to get a DSS setup just yet, I'll just have to give it a couple of months and save up, bleah.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

krushgroove posted:

Just raise the ride height a bit, run thinner oil and treaded tires :) If you have fun it's all worth it. Oh wait you're talking about pan cars I think...!

I've got some TC3s still but honestly, getting back into it I would rather jump into pancars again, now with all of the advances made in lipo and brushless. They're so simple to maintain :)

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Saturday was the last local on-road race. The race Director is moving and closing up the track. Which sucks because I feel like I'm really starting to get my IGT down.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That blows - is no one else willing to take on the duties? I know being race director can be very thankless, but with an enthusiastic local crowd an actual club can be started up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

krushgroove posted:

I'm really dithering on getting a whole new radio setup, since the last set I got was a 40MHz KO one, like what Hara used to run...when I went to Holland to use it nothing worked and I haven't gotten it fixed, and then 2.4GHz got massive. So now I have to get it fixed before I can even sell it or think about getting the KO/Spectrum 2.4 module for it, which will cost as much as a whole new 'non-racing' 2.4 radio set :P All I'll be using it for is crawlers, F1 car and maybe a Cup Racer so I don't need all the computer stuff and super-fast connection.
What model of KO controller do you have? I have a Mars R, and you can fit a 2.4GHz module into that.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

kuffs posted:

My 3.0 came with two receivers and two (crappy) servos.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

You Am I posted:

What model of KO controller do you have? I have a Mars R, and you can fit a 2.4GHz module into that.

I think it's the Mars, I know KO and Spektrum make 2.4 modules for it, but from the prices I've seen it's cheaper to get the £115 DX3.0 deal with 2 receivers than to get the module with 2 receivers. Plus, I still have to pay to fix whatever's wrong. At this point I'd rather just fix it and sell it to finance a new radio system, I don't need all the computer radio stuff (I never did, really, even for racing).

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

kuffs posted:

I need to post later about the Losi XXT pipe that I'm trying to wedge on my Associated Monster GT. Have to cut down the sideskirt to make it fit.

Previous owner had one of those stupid dual-exit rear exhausts from RDLogic mounted on it. http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=62750XP&type=store. Had some 40 million mile long, hand bent, 3 part header to get it back there too.

Then I'll be stuffing a JR Z9100T servo on it for steering as the cheapass hobbico servo isn't really doing the job. 150oz/in to 370oz/in ought to be significant.

The patient

An Associated Monster GT 4.6SE from what I can guess. It has a 2-speed tranny, but lacks piggyback shocks? Engine has been swapped for an OS .30VG-ES.

That retarded battery box came like that

And here's the terrible RDLogic pipe with ghetto 3-piece manifold.

This thing is loud as hell. It also seems incredibly hard to tune. I am not entirely convinced it is providing enough backpressure to the fuel tank.

The new pipe

It's a direct pull-off from an RTR Losi XXL. Some people apparently buy RTRs and part them out for ebay. Whatever, I got a decent pipe and manifold for $20 shipped. This is pretty much the most awesome way to get parts. Stuff like Traxxas gear is incredibly easy to get.

Now here comes the problem

Also pictured: my grody-rear end exhaust gasket

The sideskirts get in the way. I'm not too torn up about chopping it up, I have a spare.

So, after removing the skirt I can fit the muffler on and start to do a little more analysis.

In my test fitting earlier, I was concerned about proximity to the battery box. But that doesn't look like it will be a problem.

My incredibly sloppy work on the skirt

And some test fitting

The pipe contacts the skirt somewhere toward the middle and I ended up sanding it down. I'll post the finished product tomorrow.

Also posting tomorrow

lovely hobbico servo replaced with

Buying used rules

kuffs fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 1, 2009

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

krushgroove posted:

I think it's the Mars, I know KO and Spektrum make 2.4 modules for it, but from the prices I've seen it's cheaper to get the £115 DX3.0 deal with 2 receivers than to get the module with 2 receivers. Plus, I still have to pay to fix whatever's wrong. At this point I'd rather just fix it and sell it to finance a new radio system, I don't need all the computer radio stuff (I never did, really, even for racing).
Ah fair enough, I missed the bit where you said it was playing up.

kuffs posted:

Buying used rules
Very true, especially things like chargers or the occasional chassis.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, I buy a lot of my stuff used. You can get some great deals. But I will never buy a used nitro engine unless I can tear it down and check it out.

A couple of months ago a guy was trying to sell a used V-Spec at the local race. He said it was brand new and with only five tanks ran through it. It looked like it just came out of the box. On the outside. One of the guys was interested and asked if he could tear it down first. The thing was hammered. It had poor compression, the piston looked scorched, and it felt rough like it had sand poured into it.
I've just had bad luck with used engines.

Man, that 3 piece ghetto pipe is something else!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Man, that 3 piece ghetto pipe is something else!

There used to be guys selling PVC dual rear exhaust 'systems' for the Nitro 3 and Savage...THAT is ghetto!

It is still funny to me to see Losi parts on an AE kit though :)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I was fitting the body on last night and started to realize that this was probably not an amazing idea. The pipe doesn't fit underneath the body, so I'll have to cut it up. Luckily, I have two bodies: the stock one, and a much nicer Proline one. I guess I won't get hung up about chopping the stock body.

When I bought the pipe, I just kind of assumed it would fit. There was space on the left side and a notch for the pipe tip in the skirt. There was even a hole for the pipe spring.

But now after all this work, I'm starting to think I should have just bought a stock pipe. Or at least done a bit more hunting on Tower for the dimensions.

Oh well, lesson learned.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

For those of us older kids or who maybe limited on space (and just want something to buzz around the house or the kitchen table), there's been a recent retail launch (like in the last two months in Target and possibly Toys R Us) of a new series of micro-sized R/C cars. Some people in some areas had them back in June/July and others ordered them from Japan earlier in the year. If you've already heard about or seen them, well :colbert:

The look is based on 1980s Tamiya kits, about 2 inches long (around 1/53rd scale) with actual shock absorbers (if you want to call them that :v: ). There is a "Turbo" mode, and they come in 4 frequencies.

The name is Micro Terrain Titans or some variation on that. Made by Spin Master, possibly licensed through Tomy since Tomy shows up on the packaging. They are based on the Q-Steer or QSteer micro R/C cars

So far we have:
* Avante
* Buggy (?)
* Boomerang
* Fox
* Grasshopper
* Green Frog (Toys R Us Exclusive)
* Hornet
* Hot Shot

Not sure on the exclusives other than the Green Frog one at Toys R Us.

* Official site: http://www.spinmaster.com/ (Look up Micro Terrain Titans)
* Target.com's selection (the actual stores have all of them at $14.99)
* Amazon's section $17.99
* Toys R Us $14.99
* Walmart $14.99

They have a few combo packs that are priced higher with some ramps and stuff. I don't know why the price discrepancy between Amazon and the others.

Packaging:

Pics:

Photos from RCGroups.com (link - some got them in April)

Promo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPmjlAl7pkU

Long review from Atamaii (guy is a dumbass for running it on his table and for not realizing that Turbo kills the torque):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKNs1ubYfKQ

Another review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPTeBIvEbes

Office stunts video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaOe1vCNJKk

Review/closeups (for the love of god mute this loving video but the voice is funny at first):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltm_2pujDgc

This guy decided to mod in ZipZap motors and stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRV5qFxgjUk

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Pretty cool! They don't seem based on the old Tamiya cars, they look like copyright infringements of the old Tamiya cars...sorry that's me with my corporate hat on. But if they're licensed or whatever that's fine, they look like fun. I have some of the Radio Shack micro RC models they carried that had Initial D and Fast & Furious branding, I forget the actual brand name but they're pretty cool. I have the tiny hachi-roku on my desk here at work :)

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

From what I saw in Target it had Tamiya copyright information with the Tomy and Spin Master copyright and manufacturing info. That's what shows up on the retail websites as well. I think Tamiya is hoping to use them to sell the full-size versions since they have them all in production. Or they might be getting a little money out of it and that might be the sole motivation.

It's the same company that does the official licensed Mario/Nintendo RC micro cars as well.

I'm going to pick one up this weekend or next because they do look cool as hell. I was going to eBay my existing zipzaps and microsizers because I hadn't messed with them in a while but may have to set aside a motor or two.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
ZipZaps! That's what I got - all the option gears and tires too. Never touch 'em but whatever, I wouldn't get anything for them on ebay I'm sure.

I wouldn't mind having that micro-Grasshopper, that'd be way cool. From a business standpoint it's a great idea to have these in Toys R Us, it gets mom and dad used to RC stuff and may get Junior into buying the real kit, and look at all the folks in RC like me that started off with Grasshoppers, Frogs, etc.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Yeah, the ZipZaps aren't worth much for the most part - apparently a bunch of stores put a lot of that stuff on clearance and people snapped them up and put them on ebay unopened. It's kind of weird that they put that stuff on clearance, because ZipZaps were just rebranded to XMODS Micro R/C which are the current sellers for Radio Shack - everything is compatible between them.

Those Terrain Titans are based on the Q-Steers from Tomy, and this was up on Wikipedia in the Q-Steer entry:

quote:

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Tamiya Corporation's successful off-road R/C line, the company collaborated with Takara Tomy to release Q-Steer versions of their popular 1/10 scale dune buggies such as The Frog, The Grasshopper and The Hornet. In contrast to regular Q-Steer cars, these models are rechargeable through the controller. This line is currently available in North America by Spin Master as Terrain Titans.

This was a promotional video done for them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIcIcwM3tM

So it's basically a nostalgia/anniversary thing.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
They look very similar to the "Bit Char-g" cars by Tomy. Those things are awesome, I still have my micro rc Dome Zero and Skyline history set.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Got two of my crawlers rolling today (under their own power - it's always such a proud moment!) ...unfortunately we'll probably have rain here so I may only run my scaler (Axial SCX10 with HPI Land Rover body and RC4WD Trail Buster tires). I'm supposed to meet up with some RC magazine dudes to run my (nearly) comp-ready Wheely King crawler that I call the 'Crawllenium Falcon'.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

They look very similar to the "Bit Char-g" cars by Tomy. Those things are awesome, I still have my micro rc Dome Zero and Skyline history set.

Ive got the "Automodelista" Bit-Char-G kit. RX7, R32 GTR, R34 GTR and a Supra, all with some kind of racing stripes, and the "boost" edition of the chassis/PCB/Radio that gives you a NOS button. Hoping one day it becomes a sought after item on ebay or something, but for the time being its fun to look at on my desk. I also have a 350Z, another R32, Celica and Nissan Gloria bodies.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

krushgroove posted:

I'm supposed to meet up with some RC magazine dudes to run my (nearly) comp-ready Wheely King crawler that I call the 'Crawllenium Falcon'.

that is the most dialed name ever! I am hoping that you get some custom vinyl cut decals designating it as such. What I have been waiting for you to say is talk about your BLITZ. Do you guys have them in your possession yet? We are expecting them to arrive the beginning of next week. A handful have trickled out here in the states that are for marketing purposes. They will be available to the masses at the end of next week.

I will post some pictures of mine when I get it. I am going to rock a black one if I can. Until then, we will have to settle for these pictures of other lucky souls that have them:

Those Trepador tires look so badass.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Oh man! I caved about a month ago and converted my t4 to an sc10. But I only went to one race with it. I should have just held out for the blitz.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

that is the most dialed name ever! I am hoping that you get some custom vinyl cut decals designating it as such. What I have been waiting for you to say is talk about your BLITZ. Do you guys have them in your possession yet? We are expecting them to arrive the beginning of next week. A handful have trickled out here in the states that are for marketing purposes. They will be available to the masses at the end of next week.

ha, I might see about designing some sort of logo or something! I don't have a Blitz (yet) but I've seen the body mold for it and it is massive - I'm planning to make a trailer to carry it and other cars (I'm building a Formula Ten as well). I think the EU gets the kits by mid-November, we're a little behind the States getting the latest releases.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Pan car season nears - 24 Oct is the first club race. My 1S lipos came yesterday. They are tiny, probably 3/8 the size of my 2S packs. Thunder Power 5000mAh 40C.

I'm trying to get the wiring sorted out, and it's very tight. I thought I was finished but I forgot the voltage regulator I need so that the servo & receiver get the correct voltage. It's stuck in customs or something (I ordered the batteries from a Canadian mail order place on Monday, and they arrived yesterday, whereas the stuff from the US is two weeks out).

I'm going to replace the 12g wire with 16g. That should help, as I won't need the big loop to maintain flexibility.

That spur is going to get a lot smaller, too. Down to like a 75 tooth - 1S, 17.5T gearing is ridiculous.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm pretty good on a dirt track and almost always apex properly, however I would crash the gently caress out of that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

compressioncut posted:

Pan car season nears - 24 Oct is the first club race. My 1S lipos came yesterday. They are tiny, probably 3/8 the size of my 2S packs. Thunder Power 5000mAh 40C.

I'm trying to get the wiring sorted out, and it's very tight. I thought I was finished but I forgot the voltage regulator I need so that the servo & receiver get the correct voltage. It's stuck in customs or something (I ordered the batteries from a Canadian mail order place on Monday, and they arrived yesterday, whereas the stuff from the US is two weeks out).

I'm going to replace the 12g wire with 16g. That should help, as I won't need the big loop to maintain flexibility.

That spur is going to get a lot smaller, too. Down to like a 75 tooth - 1S, 17.5T gearing is ridiculous.

Yeah. The little single Li-Po's are going to dominate the race scene on the 1/12 stuff. the 16 gauge wire will do you good. The car looks super clean otherwise! Let us know how you do in the races! I stay away from pan cars. They are the devil. Which CAN place do you mail order from? One of my dealers is "western" Canada, based in Edmonton. You have probably heard of them, The Hobby Room. They are pretty cool cats.

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm pretty good on a dirt track and almost always apex properly, however I would crash the gently caress out of that.
This made me laugh a lot more than expected!

I am surprised nobody brought up this up yet:

Pre-Orders to dealers sky rocketed within minutes of the announcement. Expected street price is going to be less than $400 USD. 40+ MPH out of the box with the included electronics/battery. 60+ with a 3S Li-Po. It was designed to have a Mamba Monster (read: 1/8 scale system) drop in, with 80+ MPH potential. Why - Why would anyone need to go that fast?

Also - Expect the BLITZ to be shipping to dealers next week.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am surprised nobody brought up this up yet:

Pre-Orders to dealers sky rocketed within minutes of the announcement. Expected street price is going to be less than $400 USD. 40+ MPH out of the box with the included electronics/battery. 60+ with a 3S Li-Po. It was designed to have a Mamba Monster (read: 1/8 scale system) drop in, with 80+ MPH potential. Why - Why would anyone need to go that fast?

This doesn't surprise me at all. The Slayer is a Revo 3.3 chassis with shorter arms. The 1/16th E-Revo and Slash are the same chassis, which is a shrunken E-Revo chassis. So, it follows that a 4x4 Slash would come from an E-Revo and thus potentially get the 1/8th Mamba that goes in the Brushless E-Revo.

Now, I wonder what this means for CORR racing. Slash 2wd is a popular spec class because it's cheap as gently caress. We got CORR racing from that because the other manufacturers jumped on board. And when the other manufacturers got on, they kind of stepped up the game. The 2wd Slash is an old Stampede chassis, it's not really in the same league as the T4 chassis in the SC10. I guess what I'm really saying is, I hope this spurs Associated to make an SC104. An RC10B44 with different arms and towers.

poo poo, that's a tempting custom build. I need to take a closer look at the arms on the SC10 and B44

This would have been a trivial kitbash with the classic tub chassis in the day. (Woooooo RC10DS! Goddamn, I wish I could find one of those conversion kits for my old RC10GT tub chassis)

kuffs fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 9, 2009

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
You know, I said all that stuff about Traxxas chassis commonality. But that image doesn't have the inboard suspension from all the other cars I listed. I'm pretty sure I see a left front dogbone rather than gleam from the steering linkage.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Holy hell http://cgi.ebay.com/RC10-DS-VINTAGE...3#ht_500wt_1182

I didn't know HPI made a two-speed for those.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

This would have been a trivial kitbash with the classic tub chassis in the day. (Woooooo RC10DS! Goddamn, I wish I could find one of those conversion kits for my old RC10GT tub chassis)

Oh god, the RC10DS. I remember thinking that was cool as hell when I was a kid. Don't think I ever so much as saw the box for one in real life, though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

kuffs posted:

You know, I said all that stuff about Traxxas chassis commonality. But that image doesn't have the inboard suspension from all the other cars I listed. I'm pretty sure I see a left front dogbone rather than gleam from the steering linkage.

Totally different animal. It uses rear arms for the Rustler on all 4 corners, Slash shocks, and REVO differentials. It also has a bell crank steering with built in servo saver.

EDIT: They have a slipper clutch there now, but they will have an optional center diff unit that can be swapped out in under 5 minutes.

And for those of you that are crazy for speed, check this little guy out:

And about the 2 Speed - it was a simple cam-type 2 Speed transmission. They were very hungry for spur gears, and brushed motors just burned up pretty quick.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

I don't like traxxas as a company at all, but I'm very tempted to pickup one of these.

Or I'll get the jammin SCRT10 and roll with something different.

I'll wait for some reviews.

[EDIT] After thinking about it some more, I can't wait to get a 4wd SC truck. I've got a pretty well setup SC10, but at the local track anything 2wd is pretty squirrely. A 4wd truck would rock! Unless the Traxxas is amazing, I will probably go with the jammin on principal alone. :colbert:

SGT. Squeaks fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yeah. The little single Li-Po's are going to dominate the race scene on the 1/12 stuff. the 16 gauge wire will do you good. The car looks super clean otherwise! Let us know how you do in the races! I stay away from pan cars. They are the devil. Which CAN place do you mail order from? One of my dealers is "western" Canada, based in Edmonton. You have probably heard of them, The Hobby Room. They are pretty cool cats.

I have a buddy who gets Traxxas stuff from The Hobby Room, and swears by them. I used Great Hobbies, coincidentally also in Edmonton. They have a decent selection, good prices and I've always had fast shipping through them. Their webstore is kind of archaic though, basically the same as Stormer's.