Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cheesus posted:

What exactly is going on at the "Welcome" screen? I know it's for the login but it seems to take a long time to finish. With my SSD, it takes longer than it takes to boot up into that mode!

I have all unneccessary services and startup turned off (Adobe, Apple, etc) and the only Startup script I have is for PuTTY Agent. It seems excessive for it to be taking so long. The only thing I can think of is that its doing some network discovery (besides DHCP).

How long is it taking? Once my computer does all the POST stuff I'm usually at the desktop in ten seconds (not counting password typing) on an HDD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Without a stopwatch, it's roughly 12 seconds from BIOS to the Welcome screen and roughly 24 seconds from the Welcome screen to desktop.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I came across this nifty system tray audio device switcher: http://www.simtel.net/product.php%5Burl_fb_product_page%5D74517

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to actually do anything in Win7. Does anyone know of an equivalent? The way the Control Panel is set up, it's kind of a hassle every time I want to go switch inputs.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

teethgrinder posted:

I came across this nifty system tray audio device switcher: http://www.simtel.net/product.php%5Burl_fb_product_page%5D74517

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to actually do anything in Win7. Does anyone know of an equivalent? The way the Control Panel is set up, it's kind of a hassle every time I want to go switch inputs.

Right click volume control in systray, "Playback devices", right click and set as default.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I love you.

edit: also I'm feeling pretty stupid. Can't believe I didn't think to try that.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Probably not, but does windows 7 have x11 natively? It's annoying to have to dual boot to a unix os just to get around the limitations of windows and putty.

e: because I am a novice programmer and my professor is a giant tool, but thanks I learned something today.

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 6, 2009

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
How would native x11 support be better than xming?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I downloaded the recent Divx Tech Preview: MKV on Windows 7, but I don't get any audio with the video playback. Do I need to install an AC3Filter/audio codec?

Yeah, the tech preview doesn't seem to give sound. I use sharks codec pack , works pretty well.

z0rge Costanza
Jul 30, 2006

My posting...it's shit Jerry! Shit!

Cheesus posted:

What exactly is going on at the "Welcome" screen? I know it's for the login but it seems to take a long time to finish. With my SSD, it takes longer than it takes to boot up into that mode!

I have all unneccessary services and startup turned off (Adobe, Apple, etc) and the only Startup script I have is for PuTTY Agent. It seems excessive for it to be taking so long. The only thing I can think of is that its doing some network discovery (besides DHCP).

I guarantee it is CLASSPNP.SYS

How to fix it? I dunno V:kiddo:V

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

What are your system specs? Does everything else run fine? I'd try reinstalling Word if you can, but if you can't here are a few other things to try. When word is running, check the task manager. I'm getting between 9 and 14 mb of RAM usage when typing on a blank document, so if you're getting a lot more, it could point to a corrupted install. Also check Windows Update, there were a ton of updates for Office 2007 when I last looked.

specs are Q9400, 4GB ram etc etc. I don't think its that...well I hope not. Everything else runs fine. Even some other office apps work fine.

WINWORD.EXE uses up just 14mb

I'll see if theres any updates I missed.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Lord Commissar posted:

I've been trying all weekend to install Windows 7 (from MSDNAA), and every time,no matter what I've tried (DVD, USB, DVD burned at 2.4x, mounting an .iso and running install from Vista) it hangs at Expanding Windows Files. And at different points (11%, 67%, 20%, etc.).
Sounds like your source image is corrupt. Try re-download from the source. If it still does it, contact your local admin and tell them you think their source image might be corrupt.

Another possibility is your HDD failing.

One last possibility would be to run Memtest86+ on your box for a solid day and see if anything comes up.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

The RC will stop being mostly functional on March 1st, 2010. The full version will run without a key for 120 days with rearming.

Therefore, there's no point to installing the RC after Halloween, or if they plan to buy (assuming you install the RTM today) before February 1st, 2010 (when 120 days runs out).
When the case is either "Works properly, don't have to gently caress around" and "Works properly but I need to rearm it/guide them to rearm it until they buy it" the choice is pretty easy. Especially considering that my brothers pretty much use the OS as is without ever changing any personalisation settings past setting the desktop background, so they'll lose nothing when I install the real thing.

Morphal posted:

The Realtek HD audio in my laptop (running Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit) won't work with any driver newer than R219 (I tried every version starting with the current one and going back until I found one that worked). I got the "This device cannot start" error with all newer versions, even with the drivers from Windows Update.
I got a copy of Vista_R219.exe from Realtek's FTP site, installed it, and it works fine now.
I didn't think of older drivers. The thing is though, when I tried to install any of the Realtek drivers I DID find, I either got a message saying that there is no Realtek sound device or something like that, or it would install and I'd restart but nothing at all changed and Device Manager still listed it as Unknown Sound Device or whatever. Doesn't matter though, I'll be putting some cheap Soundblaster in on thursday.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

EnergizerFellow posted:

Sounds like your source image is corrupt. Try re-download from the source. If it still does it, contact your local admin and tell them you think their source image might be corrupt.

I've downloaded twice from both sources I've got, and the MD5s are fine.

EDIT: And for that matter, I had my friend lend me his copy that he installed from.

quote:

Another possibility is your HDD failing.

Tested and it's fine. For that matter, it installs Vista fine.

quote:

One last possibility would be to run Memtest86+ on your box for a solid day and see if anything comes up.

I will, but I don't think it's a memory error. Unless all of my memory has gone bad simultaneously. I've played with the memory in every different possible configuration.

Tomorrow I'm heading to a friend's house with my harddrive. Going to start the install there and then put it in my machine to finish up.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I hope this hasn't been posted but here's my contribution.

The Welcome screen is annoying to me in that it apparently uses the default desktop background for your theme. If you set your desktop to a solid color, you still see that default background during the Welcome screen. For some reason the green swirly picture for Vista didn't bother me but the Windows 7 with the bird and flower one really does.

Here's how to change that background:
  • In the registry, add the following DWORD key OEMBackground with a value of 1 to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background. It doesn't exist by default.
  • Create the folder %windir%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds. The folder doesn't exist by default.
  • Add a file named backgroundDefault.jpg. It's tiled so if you want to have something static, you'll need to name it according to your screen resolution like background1920x1200.jpg. Myself, I just made a file with just a black background to let it seem to "seamlessly" continue from the Windows boot.

source: http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/03/15/windows-7-to-officially-support-logon-ui-background-customization/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
I have Internet Explorer opened from the Start menu.

From the Start menu, for the new menu next to Internet Explorer, I click "Open New Tab". It opens a new tab...in a new window of IE. Subsequent "open new tab" operations go into that new window. None go into the window I originally opened.

Why is this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

teethgrinder posted:

I wrote this hot-key audio device switcher because the multiple clicks to switch audio devices irritated me.

Unfortunately, something changed between the RC and RTM which broke it. I'm working on a rewrite/fix now. I hope to have it done by sometime next week.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

Here's an interesting question:
I'm not in college; I'm a senior in high school. However, the high school I attend assigns each of its students a .edu email address on the school's domain. Would I be able to use this to become eligible for Windows 7 at the reduced student price or are there more prerequisites that I'm not aware of?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cheesus posted:

Internet Explorer....Why is this?
I left the important parts in.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Maneki Neko posted:

32bit programs do get their address space in 64bit versions of the os, which can help if there's memory pressure there. System pools, etc. have grown as well.
So overall, with 3GB RAM, it's not gonna make much difference if I install 64-bit or 32-bit? Was leaning towards x64 anyway, just making sure its slightly higher RAM requirement wasn't going to negatively impact on things.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

just making sure its slightly higher RAM requirement wasn't going to negatively impact on things.
It won't.

Ghost itM
Apr 22, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So overall, with 3GB RAM, it's not gonna make much difference if I install 64-bit or 32-bit? Was leaning towards x64 anyway, just making sure its slightly higher RAM requirement wasn't going to negatively impact on things.

If you built this decision on 3GB RAM i presume you have a complete computer. therefore i would recommend to use x64 / x86 according to your processor.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Krieger von Rosen posted:

Here's an interesting question:
I'm not in college; I'm a senior in high school. However, the high school I attend assigns each of its students a .edu email address on the school's domain. Would I be able to use this to become eligible for Windows 7 at the reduced student price or are there more prerequisites that I'm not aware of?
I'm sure you'll be fine. I've been out of college for 5 years, but still have my .edu e-mail address and it worked fine. I was never asked for any other info other than credit card/shipping details.

4 Day Weekend posted:

Yeah, the tech preview doesn't seem to give sound. I use sharks codec pack , works pretty well.
Thanks, thought it was just me.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

The Gasmask posted:

I was having some problems with NFS:Shift crashing, so I decided to go looking for some advice. Google led me to the sevenforums.com forums, and hoooly poo poo. People are complaining about how [insert game company here] sucks for not fully supporting their game on 7, how any computer with AMD/ATI will automatically suck, and "Prototype has too many swaring, but after missions I get used to it". Oh, and I also learned XP 64-bit is "rapidly achieving cult status."

I'm not sure what I feel right now, but I'm happy I'm not posting there.
Within seconds I found the dumbest thread ever.
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/27179-would-you-trust-isp.html
He is blaming his ISP because his anti-virus software had a false positive and the ISP won't support a pre-release OS, it gets worse as the thread goes on. Maybe we can have a Tech Weekend Web on this fourm

To be on topic Windows 7 RC runs great in a virtual machine on my work laptop. It has Intel graphics so no hardware 3D through the virtual machine. I gave Windows 1 gig of memory and it runs pretty good, not that I did much with it though. I'll be buying the full version instead of the upgrade as I'm too lazy to install Vista first or use a work around.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Yaos posted:

I'll be buying the full version instead of the upgrade as I'm too lazy to install Vista first or use a work around.
I bought the upgrade version (that $30 deal for students) and I'm hoping whatever key they give me will work with my existing install (since I bought Pro and installed Pro), so I don't need to even bother with the install media.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
You guys do know that just about anyone can activate any copy of windows via phone, right? It only takes about 10 minutes at most.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think this warranted its own thread, so I'll post it here:
I recently purchased a new receiver (Onkyo SR607) in order to hook up my 360, PC, and soon a cable box to one monitor. Right now the receiver is hooked up to my Acer H233H monitor. When the PC was plugged into the monitor via DVI, I didn't have any problems, but now that it's running through the receiver, the picture isn't taking up the entire viewing area of the monitor. There's about a 1/2" black border around the picture, which makes everything a bit fuzzy. The problem does not occur with my Xbox, which is why I figured this was a windows problem. The reason I have it hooked up via HDMI is I want to have sound transfered through the videocard as well, which seems to be working fine.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, with a radeon 4890 videocard, And an older core 2 duo processor.

fobin
Aug 11, 2007
I've got a question about windows7upgradeoption.com.

I'm running the RC right now, and i figured it would be cheaper to order an OEM copy of Vista and then use windows7upgradeoption. I ordered an OEM copy of Vista from Newegg that came with a free windows 7 upgrade, but I didn't realize until after i'd opened the box that i'd ordered the 32 bit version instead of 64. The offer form with the code on it says that the only option I have is Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Does the Windows7upgradeoption upgrade come with 64 and 32 bit discs like the retail upgrades do, or am i screwed if i want 64 bit without buying another copy?

Edit: poo poo, i just realized that newegg has windows 7 home premium OEM for $99.

fobin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 6, 2009

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

fobin posted:

I've got a question about windows7upgradeoption.com.

I'm running the RC right now, and i figured it would be cheaper to order an OEM copy of Vista and then use windows7upgradeoption. I ordered an OEM copy of Vista from Newegg that came with a free windows 7 upgrade, but I didn't realize until after i'd opened the box that i'd ordered the 32 bit version instead of 64. The offer form with the code on it says that the only option I have is Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Does the Windows7upgradeoption upgrade come with 64 and 32 bit discs like the retail upgrades do, or am i screwed if i want 64 bit without buying another copy?

Edit: poo poo, i just realized that newegg has windows 7 home premium OEM for $99.

32 bit and 64 bit use the same keys, if you do an upgrade install from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice versa it does a clean install.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I'm doing the whole student thing for $30. How long does it normally take for a response email to be sent after the website tells you your email is approved?

fobin
Aug 11, 2007

madprocess posted:

32 bit and 64 bit use the same keys, if you do an upgrade install from 32 bit to 64 bit or vice versa it does a clean install.

But does the upgrade from Windows come with a 64 bit disc?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Anyone know of a quick way (without third party apps) to require the F8 boot options to require a password?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I wrote this hot-key audio device switcher because the multiple clicks to switch audio devices irritated me.

Unfortunately, something changed between the RC and RTM which broke it. I'm working on a rewrite/fix now. I hope to have it done by sometime next week.
Awesome. I'll keep an eye on that blog.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

JoeCitizen posted:

Anyone know of a quick way (without third party apps) to require the F8 boot options to require a password?

Don't most BIOS's come with this option? Not exactly what you're looking for, but what's the point of passwording the windows boot loader? If you're dualbooting with linux say, you still need a password for windows and vice versa. It just seems like a really odd place to want a password prompt.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

JoeCitizen posted:

If this existed malware authors would use it to lock you out of Safe Mode by setting a password you don't know.

Vastly Outnumbered
Dec 10, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

I didn't think this warranted its own thread, so I'll post it here:
I recently purchased a new receiver (Onkyo SR607) in order to hook up my 360, PC, and soon a cable box to one monitor. Right now the receiver is hooked up to my Acer H233H monitor. When the PC was plugged into the monitor via DVI, I didn't have any problems, but now that it's running through the receiver, the picture isn't taking up the entire viewing area of the monitor. There's about a 1/2" black border around the picture, which makes everything a bit fuzzy. The problem does not occur with my Xbox, which is why I figured this was a windows problem. The reason I have it hooked up via HDMI is I want to have sound transfered through the videocard as well, which seems to be working fine.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, with a radeon 4890 videocard, And an older core 2 duo processor.

I had the same basic problem with my TV and Onkyo 805, and it's a pain in the rear end to find the scaling options in CCC. You need to launch Catalyst Control Center, select Desktops and Displays from the drop-down, and then right-click the lower picture of your display (the one below "Please select a display" rather than the larger, centered picture), and select configure. You'll find the scaling options in there.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If your processor can run x64, there's almost no reason not to.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Thermopyle posted:

Oh man I can't wait for you to update this. This will be so incredibly helpful.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vastly Outnumbered posted:

I had the same basic problem with my TV and Onkyo 805, and it's a pain in the rear end to find the scaling options in CCC. You need to launch Catalyst Control Center, select Desktops and Displays from the drop-down, and then right-click the lower picture of your display (the one below "Please select a display" rather than the larger, centered picture), and select configure. You'll find the scaling options in there.

I had a slightly different problem, my videocard was trying to display at 59hz instead of 60, but I wouldn't have found that had you not pointed those steps out. Thanks for the help!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm trying to put the RC of 7 onto a flash card/drive so it would boot up to install but everytime I do so, my computer keeps asking for a boot device (new hard drive, no OS on it, no optical drive in PC) even though the device is bootable (following steps from Max PC) and is set to from from USB/SD card first. What am I doing wrong and what program can I use to fix this problem?

The computer is a Eee Box B202

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NYIslander posted:

I'm trying to put the RC of 7 onto a flash card/drive so it would boot up to install but everytime I do so, my computer keeps asking for a boot device (new hard drive, no OS on it, no optical drive in PC) even though the device is bootable (following steps from Max PC) and is set to from from USB/SD card first. What am I doing wrong and what program can I use to fix this problem?

The computer is a Eee Box B202

You might want to hit the right button to bring up the boot device selection screen, and actually select the flash drive.