Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Victrix are releasing some 54mm Peninsular Infantry. drat that's exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Illandriel posted:

Well, someone made off with my DSLR camera last night from my car. So no Picture updates from me for a while. :(

drat :\

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Illandriel posted:

Well, someone made off with my DSLR camera last night from my car. So no Picture updates from me for a while. :(

I've had that happen too. Do you have renter's or homeowner's insurance? They should cover it.

PaintVagrant posted:

The colors on the horse in the pic are very warm, and the colors you chose for the model are very cool. Instead of highlighting the black using blue, try a warm brown (snakebite?) and for the white areas, start with a warm white, like skull white w a little snakebite/iyanden/etc in it

I redid the mane and hooves, and they look great; I started with bleached bone and built up to pure white, and it looks much better. But I'm at a loss to doing the black with warm colors. Could you post some pix so I can see? It just seems like brown doesn't mix well with black; it just turns a muddy grey when I try to darken it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Speaking of horses, here's a cool tutorial for them!
http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=4389

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Pagan posted:

I've had that happen too. Do you have renter's or homeowner's insurance? They should cover it.

I redid the mane and hooves, and they look great; I started with bleached bone and built up to pure white, and it looks much better. But I'm at a loss to doing the black with warm colors. Could you post some pix so I can see? It just seems like brown doesn't mix well with black; it just turns a muddy grey when I try to darken it.

I dont think I have pics of anything Ive used the technique on. I would experiment with various warm colors you own until you get something that works. You might not want to start w pure black, instead start with a black youve already warmed up a bit

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Pagan posted:

Yeah, Been in contact with the Homeowners insurance, gotta see what they'll cover or not still.

All this means is that once it does get replaced, You'll get a huge mega-dump of terrible school bus yellow marines painted like a 5 year old in thread. =D

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Click here for the full 1632x916 image.

Click here for the full 1632x916 image.

Bringing this duder over here because I've got a question about truescaling for anyone who has done it:

I've basically done the plasticard inserts at the lower thighs and on the feet to thicken those up. Inside the torso I've got a small ring that lifts it a tiny bit, and the head is elevated only barely. All in all it gives about 3/4 a head more height (kinda hard to estimate exactly since they're in different poses with different legs and one leans so far forward).

Is that enough extra height to be more intimidating? Is there somewhere else on the body I'm supposed to be adding card? Do the lower legs look out of proportion with the lengthened thighs?

Also, am I supposed to be doing something about lengthening arms? Because that seems like a right bitch.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
He seems intimidating enough compared to the marine next to him. I'd leave the arms alone, they seem to be the right size.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I think he looks pretty good, Fix. He's tall enough that he looks a little more proportionally correct without going overboard and looking like a Slenderman marine (oh god).

On an unrelated note, I bought some paints today and I stripped/re-primed my guys. As soon as it comes in, I'll pick up my brush and get to work!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fix posted:

Also, am I supposed to be doing something about lengthening arms? Because that seems like a right bitch.

You can add some card to the elbow joint pretty easily. Even easier than that is the wrist and probably easiest of all is just popping some between the shoulder and body. You can also bulk the pads up a lot.

In general its not super hard to lengthen the thighs, greaves or arms, it's just tedious if you need to do 30-40 marines like that.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How would I go about bulking up the pads? Step it up to Terminator pads?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
True Scaling guide a couple posts down,
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/235194.page

Same guy except this is his thread for truescale pre-heresy Ultra Marines
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146205

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 7, 2009

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Seeing Terminator pads on TS marines always looked a bit silly to me. Do the same thing for 'pads that you did for the head: use a bit of plasticard to act as spacers.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Zarkov Cortez posted:

True Scaling guide a couple posts down,
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/235194.page

Same guy except this is his thread for truescale pre-heresy Ultra Marines
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146205

Jesus, that is incredible. I just about lost it when I got to the dreadnought. He's really got an iconic look going with those things. If GW decided to start making marines look more like that for 41k, I wouldn't mind at all.

It's also an amazing amount of greenstuff work, which... well... I'm not too good at.

I'm thinking I'm going to stay away from the terminator style upgrades. They really bulk the marines up, and I'm going to be putting assault packs on these things, since they're supposed to be jump troops.

Maybe when it comes time to do Sword Bretheren or Chosen or something I'll try that out. Probably ought to get assembling more than one marine under my belt before I run off and attempt something so complex. :kiddo:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Here is another truescale tutorial,
http://www.minus1mod.com/smf/index.php?topic=39.0

Some pics,
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=130525

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I still have yet to see an entire army of truescale marines, the cost is so prohibitive and its SO much work...

But drat.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Well, I didn't feel like priming my Orks or Mentors tonight, so instead I worked on painting my Oldblood up as Gor-rok, the White Lizard, the Scarred One.

He definitely needs a wash on his teeth, claws, and such. I think he could use a VERY light coat of Badab for some shading but I'm paranoid about making him too dark. He could probably also use a different color for his armor bindings...

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think he could use a VERY light coat of Badab for some shading but I'm paranoid about making him too dark. He could probably also use a different color for his armor bindings...

A wash of badab wouldn't make him too dark if you put the highlights back on again. Wash it with the black then paint the scales again the colour you have now, maybe with even lighter highlights around the edges of the scales, and I think it would look very effective.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

!amicable posted:

I'm totally stealing the polearm idea for my BC's.

Helpful tip: When trimming the sword from the hand, leave the grip intact and remove only the pommel in back, and use a sharp knife to trim the hilt to a spike--instant pins that are actually part of the model, thus saving you a shitload of time and frustration when you drill holes to attach the polearm halves to. Found this out by accident, but hey, it worked really well.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Well, I didn't feel like priming my Orks or Mentors tonight, so instead I worked on painting my Oldblood up as Gor-rok, the White Lizard, the Scarred One.

He definitely needs a wash on his teeth, claws, and such. I think he could use a VERY light coat of Badab for some shading but I'm paranoid about making him too dark. He could probably also use a different color for his armor bindings...

While it doesn't look bad, it doesn't look particularly albino. It looks white. Albino reptiles tend to be cream, and even the whitest have some pink tint to them, especially along the limbs, sides of the body, and face, basically anywhere where the scales aren't extremely heavy.

I'm not a painter though, so I don't know how you'd go about doing that. :shobon: Maybe a light, watered-down wash of whatever that red wash is called, and then re-whiten the very center of the scale?

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 7, 2009

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Helpful tip: When trimming the sword from the hand, leave the grip intact and remove only the pommel in back, and use a sharp knife to trim the hilt to a spike--instant pins that are actually part of the model, thus saving you a shitload of time and frustration when you drill holes to attach the polearm halves to. Found this out by accident, but hey, it worked really well.

Were they the chaos knight polearms?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

!amicable posted:

From the looks of them, yes.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
So am I right in inferring that truescaling is modifying the SM's to look more normally proportioned and not so chibi? That always bugged me a little but I wasn't sure if it was just the beefy armor confusing me.

ninja edit: Just wanted to mention that this thread is all the fun I wanted from a miniatures thread as someone who isn't into miniatures (yet).

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

landis posted:

So am I right in inferring that truescaling is modifying the SM's to look more normally proportioned and not so chibi? That always bugged me a little but I wasn't sure if it was just the beefy armor confusing me.

ninja edit: Just wanted to mention that this thread is all the fun I wanted from a miniatures thread as someone who isn't into miniatures (yet).

In the fluff, Marines are supposed to be like 9 feet tall or something. On the table, they're the same size as Average Joe Imperial Guard #24811. True scaling helps them stand out from average sized humanoids and, yeah, I guess it's also trying to "fix" the heroic sculpts that GW does where heads/hands/etc are oversized compared to how they'd be on a more realistic sculpt.

Also, it's a way to show how HARDCORE COOL you are and to spend hours on each individual marine. :)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are there any full true-scale armies out there? Done right, it looks great, but it's way too impractical for doing more than a squad or so.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

!amicable posted:

As Bhsman said, they are: I picked up the box for a semi-related reason, and found myself too impressed by the polearms to simply let them go unused.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fyrbrand posted:

Are there any full true-scale armies out there? Done right, it looks great, but it's way too impractical for doing more than a squad or so.

Well the one guy on B&C who is doing the truescale World Eaters linked earlier went and made himself a mold of truescaled legs (and I think torsos?), so that would speed things along.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think youd pretty much have to cast your own poo poo to make that really feasible

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

:( X = :dong:
The original true-scale marines with chaos warrior legs are the best true-scale marines :colbert:

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I just started painting again. Forgive me for breaking into your warhams discussion. One night while checking out CMOT I saw that spyglass was being shut down and snatched up some of my favorite sculpts even though I didn't have any paints or what have you. Later he would reopen as a 54mm only and resale this mini cast in resin, but whatever.

So, I bought a $10 set of craft paints and then had to go and buy some citadel flesh tones, but I think it's a pretty decent job so far. I need to base it, but I don't have anything to use for grass yet. What do you think?

After I get some basing stuff, I'm thinking of checking out some of those flow extenders and some new brushes. The ones I have are already worn out.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

If anyone wants to sclupt me 5 sets of those legs ASAP I will pay a fair price.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So Ive decided that I want a more pronounced "style" to some of my minis. I feel like Im good enough now to be a little more bold with how I paint.

Im not sure if any of you gents look at dark age minis, but their painters have a really unique, chromatic style that Im thinking about "stealing" some things from:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

rzal posted:

I just started painting again. Forgive me for breaking into your warhams discussion. One night while checking out CMOT I saw that spyglass was being shut down and snatched up some of my favorite sculpts even though I didn't have any paints or what have you. Later he would reopen as a 54mm only and resale this mini cast in resin, but whatever.

So, I bought a $10 set of craft paints and then had to go and buy some citadel flesh tones, but I think it's a pretty decent job so far. I need to base it, but I don't have anything to use for grass yet. What do you think?

After I get some basing stuff, I'm thinking of checking out some of those flow extenders and some new brushes. The ones I have are already worn out.

Solid. You seem to really have the base/highlight/shade/lining thing down, which is 90% of miniature painting.

What I would suggest is try to get your paint to lay smoother. Getting "real" miniatures paint will help, as will practice with thinning and keeping your paint consistency correct :v:

Welcome to the thread. Also, its not for warhamming, we make no distinction between games or whatever, this is just for miniature painting as a whole

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

WIP Chaplain kitbash.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

bhsman posted:

WIP Chaplain kitbash.

Looking good so far. Any idea how you're gonna do the legs yet?

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some non-GW figures.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Is this some sort of Civilization style game where you can pit spearmen against M1A1s?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

Looking good so far. Any idea how you're gonna do the legs yet?

Getting the rest of the bits from a Goon; I'll post the whole thing here when it's ready. :)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

bhsman posted:

Getting the rest of the bits from a Goon; I'll post the whole thing here when it's ready. :)

Kinda unrelated but I started working on the elves I got from you way back when. Most of them stripped pretty well and I'll be priming/painting hopefully in the next few weeks at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

deathguard wip:

My cygnar defender, my whole army will be really weathered/repaired. I want them to look like they have been out in the field a LOOONG time.

I reposed the arm w/new piston, converted the gun so its not so chunky and more like the concept art:

• Locked thread