Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I do have some one to skate with. Things is, he's been doing it for years where as I just started. I'd rather not slow him down. I have no idea why I think that I would or how :v:

It's just one of those things that slow me down.

Well anyways, I appreciate the tips. Watching a skate video does hype me up, so when ever I'm being a lazy rear end I'll watch one to work up the courage to get on the board.

I really don't have long stretches of sidewalk in front of my house, but my drive way is a good enough starting point. I'll just stand around my board trying to feel comfortable and work my way up to pushing then turning ect etc.

One thing though, I don't know if it matters, my size 13 feet and my 7.5 board. Should I go to an 8? Or does it really matter? Would it make learning more difficult or am I just worrying about nothing.

Here's a video to counter act all my noobie questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQzUsTFqtW0

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
board width is just up to your preference. i wear the same size shoe and have a 8.162 deck. I was using a 7.5 and was having trouble with my heels coming off.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Shortymrbig posted:

One thing though, I don't know if it matters, my size 13 feet and my 7.5 board. Should I go to an 8? Or does it really matter? Would it make learning more difficult or am I just worrying about nothing.

I have size thirteen shoes as well, and I ride an 8. I rode 7.75 for a few years, but eventually succumbed to the lure of the 8. I personally find it much easier to balance on, but that's just me. It's all about what you're comfortable on.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll look into getting an 8 then, but until then I will work on my balance standing on the board.

Having a few extra decks lying around helps too.

Thanks abunch guys.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
Have you guys seen Billy Mark's Battle Commander video at the Berrics?

http://theberrics.com/batcom090926.php

I've watched it ten times and I'm still blown away.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

donJonSwan posted:

Don't learn anything standing still IMO, it's harder.

this. i wish someone had told me this when i was learning kickflips. momentum is your friend.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

foastwab posted:

Have you guys seen Billy Mark's Battle Commander video at the Berrics?

http://theberrics.com/batcom090926.php

I've watched it ten times and I'm still blown away.

Just saw this.

Then I saw Mike V.

I wanna be just like him :3:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Shortymrbig posted:

Then I saw Mike V.

I wanna be just like him :3:

Oh god, liking Mike V. is a skateboarding faux pas! It's up there with mall grabbing, beaming, and snaking.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

Sirkus posted:

Oh god, liking Mike V. is a skateboarding faux pas! It's up there with mall grabbing, beaming, and snaking.
I like watching him beat up people. :chord:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Lance Mountain showed up at my local park the other day. He's still pretty drat good. He didn't skate the big ramp- just a little street and the pool.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Outstanding, some genuine skateboarding royalty!

I was just after a set of those new bright pink, fat Lance Mountain Spitfires for my wider setup.
Can't buy them anywhere over here, ended up with some big 58mm Stu Graham signature spits instead. If we ever get a dry weekend between here and next May I'll introduce them to some Livi concrete :scotland:

E: Those are some proper cool photos as well, you obviously know what you're doing.

I Pledge The Legence fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 9, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does anyone have any advice on learning to drop in on coping other than manning up and leaning forward? I just can't get it to happen.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I've been practicing this at Marginal Way in Seattle. It's probably the gnarliest place I've ever been. Any help would be appreciated.

posting smiling
Jun 22, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Does anyone have any advice on learning to drop in on coping other than manning up and leaning forward? I just can't get it to happen.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I've been practicing this at Marginal Way in Seattle. It's probably the gnarliest place I've ever been. Any help would be appreciated.

In my experience it's all in the name; you really do just drop. When I first tried doing it I would try to push the board down to the ramp, but keep my body upright and not commit and end up sliding down the ramp on my rear end. If you just lean into it with your full body weight it should be very natural. It's the least scary to learn on a tiny ramp, but size doesn't make too much difference. I've never dropped in on anything completely vertical, but I had a huge fear of dropping in on the six foot ramp at my local park that turned out to be completely baseless; it was just like the little ones.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I would lose my poo poo if Lance Mountain showed up a skatepark I was at randomly. If it wasn't my fathers birthday I'd probably be driving down to Houston today to see the NikeSB demo (aka to see Gino).

Bucket Joneses posted:

It's all in your weight distribution. The biggest thing is make sure you lean forward; you will probably fall a few times, but once you have you'll probably figure it out pretty quickly.

One of the mental tricks to it, I think, is to not stand there with your feet on your board ready to drop in, if you wait like this it gives you too much time and you start getting scared and your legs start getting wobbly. If you're feeling nervous about it, try starting out with your feet sort of like this:

So you have one foot on the board and one foot on the deck behind you. Then, decide that you're going to commit to it, count to three, and on three smash your front foot on the bolts of your board/on to the ramp as hard you can. The big trick to it when you're first learning is pushing your front foot down as hard as you can. I used to tell little kids that the ramp was making fun of them so they'd get mad and smash the board on to the ramp.

Try to keep your feet on the bolts once you're on the ramp, as it keeps your weight centered and is ideal for learning how to pump. You'll probably eat it a few times, but that's part of the fun, right? It's also one of those tricks that once you've done it once, it's pretty damned easy to do for the rest of your life.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
In regards to dropping in...

Reach down and grab the nose of your board.

The shoulder first roll will almost force you into committing.

..and like everything else in skateboarding, bend your knees.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sirkus posted:

:colbert:

Can I like Rodney Mullen then? He's cool right?! RIGHT??!

Your Proud Pal
Sep 4, 2006

if liking rodney mullen is wrong i don't want to be right. i finally went and bought a cheap little complete at a used sports store. i haven't skated since i was in middle school (i'm 21 now) and aaaaa i can barely even push and move forward.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hey sorry guys don't mean to spam this thread but once more this coming friday if you live in the Twin Cities check this out. Free entry. Something I helped work on.

http://vimeo.com/6862956

http://www.feelinminnesota.com/

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Oh man, I'm tree minutes away from watching the new Flip video. I feel like I'm fifteen again.

soggybagel posted:

Hey sorry guys don't mean to spam this thread but once more this coming friday if you live in the Twin Cities check this out. Free entry. Something I helped work on.

There's definitely some legit poo poo in this, what did you help with?

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

zeroordie posted:

Oh man, I'm tree minutes away from watching the new Flip video. I feel like I'm fifteen again.
I just finished watching it.

I wasn't as flabberghasted as I was with Really Sorry, but I think Gonzales' part is the best I've seen since Marc Johnson in Fully Flared. He just goes after everything.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Burnquist's part is loving ridiculous.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Bucket Joneses posted:

Burnquist's part is loving ridiculous.

Jesus Christ WTF I don't even know how to explain that to somebody.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

On the whole I was pretty disappointed in the video. It just doesn't stand up in a post Fully Flared world.

I really, really disagree with David Gonzalez getting last part. It was good and all, I just think its kind of insulting to your pros who have been with the company for ten+ years to throw a random am into last part. If Flip was a company that put out a ton of videos, that would make sense, but they dont. They spend years and years making one video and hyping it up. I also thought it was kind of insane to have Bob's part like fourth one in or something? I couldn't even comprehend the poo poo he was doing. Switch 540 ollie over the megaramp gap? seriously?

The music choices were weird and all of the parts had tons of filler. A few good parts but pretty disappointing, overall.

I think I liked that free Adidas video Diagonal more, actually. Did any of you see that? I found a copy online, I dont think its :filez: because it was a video they gave out for free at skateshops? It was showcasing their European team and had a really good montage of US dudes + a Busenitz part, too.

Moving right along, Gang of Fourstar just went online. Kind of? Seems to be broken at the moment, but if you're crafty you can get to it.

fake edit: Sean Malto is so drat good.

zeroordie fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 12, 2009

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

zeroordie posted:

There's definitely some legit poo poo in this, what did you help with?

I didn't have a specific title and I hate using the word "producer" but basically I helped with some of the concepts of the video (although the two main guys Benji Meyer and Darin Limvere are without a doubt the creative directors and the two responsible for this coming out the way it did), lots of time spent helping building the stuff/putting it together/tearing down the stuff, did some photography for it, messed with some of the random shoots and what not. I mean basically lots of random work.

We built a mini-ramp in a corn field and that was by far the most exhausting/demanding shoot.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 13, 2009

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

zeroordie posted:

On the whole I was pretty disappointed in the video. It just doesn't stand up in a post Fully Flared world.

I think I liked that free Adidas video Diagonal more, actually. Did any of you see that? I found a copy online, I dont think its :filez: because it was a video they gave out for free at skateshops? It was showcasing their European team and had a really good montage of US dudes + a Busenitz part, too.

You were able to download it from their site so it's not :filez:. I haven't seen Extremely Sorry yet but felt Fully Flared was boring (too much hype). I haven't really liked any newer videos except for Right Foot Forward, Proof, and Baker has a Deathwish: Summer Tour 2008. I would like to see Extremely Sorry to see if it lives up to the hype or falls flat.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
By the way one of the dudes in the Red bull video is CJ Tamborino who just won DC's King of chicago and just had a Skateboard mag Minute.

http://theskateboardmag.com/watch/cj-tambornino/

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just scored an Arbor mini-longboard and a Creature Navarette Hesh Law complete with Ricta wheels & Krux trucks for $60 for the pair. I'm stupid stoked, a dick around board for whenever I get my lazy/busy rear end out to Donald to skate the pool, and a perfect commuting board for campus since my S9 longboard is too cumbersome to deal with when not riding. I think the bearings in both decks might be worth the $60.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

soggybagel posted:

:words:
That's cool, man. That trailer looks awesome.

Golem II posted:

You were able to download it from their site so it's not :filez:. I haven't seen Extremely Sorry yet but felt Fully Flared was boring (too much hype). I haven't really liked any newer videos except for Right Foot Forward, Proof, and Baker has a Deathwish: Summer Tour 2008. I would like to see Extremely Sorry to see if it lives up to the hype or falls flat.

Well, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree here. I was blown away by Fully Flared; I went into it expecting it to not live up to the hype and couldn't believe how strong the video actually is. I mean, the filming, editing, music, and most importantly the tricks are all on another level. The tricks are innovative but done so well that they all look really, really good too. The style is what really sets it apart, I think.

I need to see Right Foot Forward but thusfar I think the only video that really holds up to FF is Mindfield, which I also really liked.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
The Gang of Fourstar video was awesome.

I'm sticking to my guns and saying Malto is taking Skater of the Year.

I need to figure out a way to strengthen my ankles, I rolled mine again this last Sunday on a BS noseslide.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I picked a wrong time to pick up skateboarding. I spent all of one hour before work on Monday learning how to just balance and push on a board and now it's raining constantly.

gently caress.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I spent a good hour yesterday trying to hunt down Tony Hawks twitter hunt game. It was kind of entertaining to be with a bunch of peeps with their cell phones out digging in bushes. I didn't find anything :sigh:

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
The FLIP video was sweet. Standout parts were Rowley's, Burnquist's (Switch 540 on mega ramp???), Gonzalez's and Mark Appleyard's. People might not agree on the last Apples but he's from my home town so anytime I get to see new footage of him I get psyched, he has cleaaaaan style.

There was some grom steez from the likes of Louie Lopez and Luan De Oliviera, that I wasn't into but the movie was still good regardless.

It's 3 degrees Celsius here so I have to get all my skating in while I can.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

It started snowing here yesterday, so it looks like i'm back to miniramp until April.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
So I had a free afternoon today, so I went and rolled around at local park today. I decided I might as well go for some tricks because I don't need my body for anything, and I ended up ollieing down a 5 stair.

I felt really cool. :smug:

Also, what decks are you guys riding right now? This is what I'm on:

I love looking at decks. Heh.

foastwab fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 15, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
When I have a house to decorate, I want to mount awesome looking decks all on the wall and make chairs from all my old decks.

Also, if anyone has cable let me know how the Berrics vs Fantasy Factory thing goes. I know Koston and Berra would kill Dyrdek and whatever his crew has.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I know Koston and Berra would kill Dyrdek and whatever his crew has.
Quick reference

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

foastwab posted:

So I had a free afternoon today, so I went and rolled around at local park today. I decided I might as well go for some tricks because I don't need my body for anything, and I ended up ollieing down a 5 stair.

currently riding this:

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

donJonSwan posted:

I'm sticking to my guns and saying Malto is taking Skater of the Year.

Busenitz is another good candidate but king of the kooks Jake Phelps claims Booze "hasn't done poo poo for the mag" so who knows.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

kylej posted:

Busenitz is another good candidate but king of the kooks Jake Phelps claims Booze "hasn't done poo poo for the mag" so who knows.

I dig Busenitz, a lot. I would be stoked if he won too. I really want a pair of his shoes, but I can't really justify the 75$ price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

foastwab posted:

I do my best to try and ride this.

And then I got this on my wall.

Click here for the full 237x820 image.