Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
In Vista, I just ran under the Admin account because even running as a regular account set Admin caused weird issues.

Does Win7 have the same problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plaque Conspiracy
May 9, 2005
Party pack just arrived. gently caress yeah! Tote bags!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Plaque Conspiracy posted:

Just got mine too. gently caress yeah! Party streamers!

It's pretty cool really. Even has Windows 7 napkins.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I ordered the Windows 7 Professional Edition Upgrade from Win 741. Yay $30 Win 7!

Can I install using one of the MSDN RTM Win 7 disks now and activate on 10/22 when I receive the key? I have a legit 64 bit version of Vista Ultimate now. Or are those disks only for the "Retail" license and not the "Upgrade" license?

So basically, if I install Win 7 now, do I have to reinstall when my key arrives or can I just type it in?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

INTJ Mastermind posted:

So basically, if I install Win 7 now, do I have to reinstall when my key arrives or can I just type it in?
This same question has been asked several times in the past few pages, and the answer is "we don't know please stop asking already" because the only install discs out are full retail.

Lord Commissar posted:

In Vista, I just ran under the Admin account because even running as a regular account set Admin caused weird issues.

Define "weird issues" because what you're doing is a huge security risk.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

You're doing it wrong.

There was no such issue with Vista. Windows 7 works the same as Vista.

If anything, versions of Windows released before Vista had issues.
Vista's UAC and account auto-elevation fixed all the crap that earlier versions of Windows suffered from in regards to account access.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Swilo posted:

I'm going to strike with an early guess of: UAC prompts.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm going to strike with an early guess of: UAC prompts.

Under Vista, regular users and Admins should see the same number of prompts.

Under Windows 7, admins will see a bit less.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
For the first 5 minutes of using 7, I got pissed at UAC for bothering me every time I did something. Then, I realized that I'd run into so many problems trying to get XP to work the way I wanted (admin account) thanks to programs doing whatever the gently caress they wanted. It's worth the 2 seconds it takes to click when I can stop poo poo that I normally wouldn't know about. Hell, I even bumped it up to max security just to get more of the messages.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Joe Don Baker posted:

Just got mine too. gently caress yeah! Party streamers!

It's pretty cool really. Even has Windows 7 napkins.

I got an email a few days ago saying to expect a tracking number soon, but nothing since. No fair :(

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

quadratic posted:

I got an email a few days ago saying to expect a tracking number soon, but nothing since. No fair :(

Balloons too. And some decent discounts on Nero stuff if that matters to you. And a deck of cards and a puzzle and a poster oh my!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Have any sites done a major breakdown in the differences between the various versions of 7? Everybody knows about the large differences between the versions, but sometimes the small stuff can be a deal maker/breaker as well.

I don't want another repeat of XP where they listed all the major changes between Home and Professional, and then a lot of Home users felt burned later when they didn't get access to minor, but extremely useful, functions like the group policy editor.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Have any sites done a major breakdown in the differences between the various versions of 7? Everybody knows about the large differences between the versions, but sometimes the small stuff can be a deal maker/breaker as well.
That's what wikipedia is for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Vista's UAC and account auto-elevation fixed all the crap that earlier versions of Windows suffered from in regards to account access.

I'm dealing right now with a problem where I need to start a process with elevated rights from within powershell. Any ideas how to do this in a non-retarded way?

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Plaque Conspiracy posted:

Just got mine too... Win7 installed, and it runs great. And the tote bags are kinda cool too for packing lunches for work and stuff.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Someone take pictures of these tote bags, I want to see what they look like and maybe beg for one.

Kuroneko
Jun 23, 2004
Black Cat
Small question, although not likely anyone will know until actual release. I got windows 7 professional from my school (private license, not a VLK) and am curious if I'll be able to use the windows anytime upgrade or whatever to just pay the difference (20 bucks) to upgrade to ultimate, or if it won't be available due to something configured differently in the software. Maybe I should try and install off the RTM ISO instead of the one they provided with my key and see if it's interchangeable.

On a side note, a few questions about the anytime upgrade (assuming it's the same as vista, which I don't have). When you buy it, you can only immediately upgrade in-place on the computer you just bought it on? So if I have it installed to my two desktops and laptop, I'd need to buy it three times? Or does it give you a new (ultimate) key or upgrade your old key that you could just install off an ultimate edition ISO with? Or, is there any way to actually have a disc mailed to you after you purchase an upgraded version?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anytime upgrade isn't available at the moment (says to check back on the 22nd) so I don't know for sure. But on the first screen it says to either choose a version you want, or enter an upgrade key. I am assuming the second one means you go buy an upgrade edition somewhere and enter the key and it works. The first option says windows will upgrade automatically, so you probably have to do the anytime upgrade for each machine.

And why wouldn't you need to buy it three times? One key is good for one computer, so if you want to upgrade three machines, you need to upgrade three times.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there an equivalent to Bootvis that works on Windows 7? I tried running Bootvis and it won't work as it's made for XP.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
I made the switch to 7 a couple days ago and I still can't figure out the big deal about the new taskbar. Seems to me it's exactly like the old bar, only instead of text you have icons. Can anyone please explain why this is better?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Swilo posted:

:rolleyes:

Xenomorph posted:

You're doing it wrong.

There was no such issue with Vista. Windows 7 works the same as Vista.

If anything, versions of Windows released before Vista had issues.

It's not UAC, I can turn them off, but frankly they don't bother me. The problems I had were that some programs needed to be run as admin, and even though my account was an admin account, it didn't work. Even if I used "Run as Administrator".

It was a while ago so I don't remember specifics, unfortunately, but I remember it being an issue for me.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006

Kleptomaniac posted:

I made the switch to 7 a couple days ago and I still can't figure out the big deal about the new taskbar. Seems to me it's exactly like the old bar, only instead of text you have icons. Can anyone please explain why this is better?

Well, for one thing, you can pin programs to the bar, and then open them right from the bar without having to use the Start menu.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Lord Commissar posted:

It's not UAC, I can turn them off, but frankly they don't bother me. The problems I had were that some programs needed to be run as admin, and even though my account was an admin account, it didn't work. Even if I used "Run as Administrator".

It was a while ago so I don't remember specifics, unfortunately, but I remember it being an issue for me.

I'm actually having a similar problem. The Blackberry Desktop Manager has a function that needs to be run as Admin to work. Thing is, if I run the program as admin, it can't find my Blackberry. It's not critical, but it is frustrating. I'm sure there's some command you can add to the shortcut to get it working right, I just don't know what.

E:^^^ Pin to Taskbar is a great feature. It brings Windows more in line with OSX, and setting it as icon only is great. That and Aero Peek have streamlined the taskbar, making it quite user friendly. ^^^

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 8, 2009

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.

Cerri posted:

Well, for one thing, you can pin programs to the bar, and then open them right from the bar without having to use the Start menu.

So it's quick launch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Kleptomaniac posted:

So it's quick launch.

It's more like OSX dock.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sad Panda posted:

Is there an equivalent to Bootvis that works on Windows 7? I tried running Bootvis and it won't work as it's made for XP.

There's no need to run anything like bootvis under Vista/7.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Sad Panda posted:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/performance/default.aspx

It provides some of the same graphical logs of boot but the majority of optimizations are built into vista/7 and it adjusts on the fly. Just use it to see if a driver is causing a delay so you can update it to see if it fixes it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Lord Commissar posted:

You'd probably be best off sticking with windows xp, rather than finding software that works with the security model that every modern OS uses.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Something new I learned about at the launch event yesterday: Problem Steps Recorder.

Holy Crap! This is the awesomest tool ever when it comes to support.

Since users typically seem incapable of forming complete and coherent descriptions of problems outside of "It doesn't work!", PSR allows us to have them try exactly what they want to do, and records every keystroke, mouse click, and screen image of the entire process.

To use it:

Have user click start, type "psr", enter

Have user click 'Start Recording' on the PSR tool.

Have user attempt the problem activity.

Have user click 'Stop Recording' on the PSR tool.

Have user e-mail you (or access it through the administrative share, for that matter) the resulting zip file.

Great stuff.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

200th Poster posted:

You'd probably be best off sticking with windows xp, rather than finding software that works with the security model that every modern OS uses.

If you weren't busy being so snarky, you might have noticed someone else had the same issue with their Blackberry software. Surely, Blackberry software is ancient and archaic, right?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

The Gasmask posted:

For the first 5 minutes of using 7, I got pissed at UAC for bothering me every time I did something. Then, I realized that I'd run into so many problems trying to get XP to work the way I wanted (admin account) thanks to programs doing whatever the gently caress they wanted. It's worth the 2 seconds it takes to click when I can stop poo poo that I normally wouldn't know about. Hell, I even bumped it up to max security just to get more of the messages.

I like the way you think.

200th Poster posted:

O SNAP.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Lord Commissar posted:

So you're asking us if Windows 7 still has problems, the details of which you don't quite remember.

Ummm... no?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Tequila25 posted:

So you're asking us if Windows 7 still has problems, the details of which you don't quite remember.

Ummm... no?

I just don't remember which specific programs had the problem. I think Steam had an issue at one point, but it may have been patched by now. The Gasmask had the same problem with Blackberry software.

It seems like an access problem, and 'Run as Administrator' doesn't fix it.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Kleptomaniac posted:

So it's quick launch.

It's basically quick launch combined with the taskbar.

Lord Commissar posted:

I just don't remember which specific programs had the problem. I think Steam had an issue at one point, but it may have been patched by now. The Gasmask had the same problem with Blackberry software.

It seems like an access problem, and 'Run as Administrator' doesn't fix it.

Well, Steam works great now. I've only had a few problems and most of those have to do with the x64 version's insistence on signed drivers.

Crysis 64 has to be run in vista compatibility mode.
ATITool doesn't work without disabling driver signatures. I imagine that most hardware modification utilites will need this too.
XBCD for my homebrew xbox adapter doesn't work without disabling driver signatures.

Tequila25 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 8, 2009

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Lord Commissar posted:

If you weren't busy being so snarky, you might have noticed someone else had the same issue with their Blackberry software. Surely, Blackberry software is ancient and archaic, right?

Nokia can make a PC suite that works with modern operating systems. Why can't RIM?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Tequila25 posted:

It's basically quick launch combined with the taskbar.

It's the Microsoft Dock. Just call it the Dock. It works like the Apple Dock.

Quick Launch is just buttons. Just shortcuts to a program.

"Pin to Taskbar" puts the program icon on the Dock. When running, the program "lives" in that Dock icon the same way it operates if it were in the Dock under Mac OS X. Complete with graphical indicators telling you which Dock icons are running.

If you right-click on an item in Quick Launch, you have file-operations for that LNK file. Delete it, rename it, etc. Just like a regular file.

If you right-click on an item Pinned to the Tray/Dock, you can control functions in that application (like right clicking a running program on the Task Bar). New Windows 7 features may be on the Dock icon, and you can get a live preview/Aero peek thing going on with the Dock icon.

You can't do any of that with just a "Quick Launch" icon.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I use my start menu in Vista to access all my programs. I use the Games menu to run games, the frequently-used programs list that takes up most of the start menu to access my common programs, and the pinned list above it for a few that aren't frequent use, but I like easy access to. (I never go into program files because it's a mess.) Does the dock replace this?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 8, 2009

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

The Gasmask posted:

I'm actually having a similar problem. The Blackberry Desktop Manager has a function that needs to be run as Admin to work. Thing is, if I run the program as admin, it can't find my Blackberry. It's not critical, but it is frustrating. I'm sure there's some command you can add to the shortcut to get it working right, I just don't know what.

E:^^^ Pin to Taskbar is a great feature. It brings Windows more in line with OSX, and setting it as icon only is great. That and Aero Peek have streamlined the taskbar, making it quite user friendly. ^^^

What version of the Blackberry Desktop Manager are you using?

Xenomorph posted:

It's the Microsoft Dock. Just call it the Dock. It works like the Apple Dock.

I know, but not everyone has used a Mac recently, so I was trying to think of a more PC-centric explanation. Plus, I didn't want to say outright that Microsoft is ripping off more features from the Mac.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Tequila25 posted:

I know, but not everyone has used a Mac recently, so I was trying to think of a more PC-centric explanation. Plus, I didn't want to say outright that Microsoft is ripping off more features from the Mac.

who gives a poo poo they're not new ideas, everything in ui design is old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Lord Commissar posted:

I would say that Blackberry software is exactly that. Ancient and archaic. My only experience is running BES though.