Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

LloydDobler posted:

I read this link on how to swap the guts, and tried it out. I picked up two mirror assemblies, one with auto-dim and one with a mechanical dimming toggle. I figured that if the autodim mirror tested bad, or if mine tested good, I'd just put in the mechanical one.
I would have tinted the windows and called it good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PBCrunch posted:

I would have tinted the windows and called it good.

This was cheaper. I do want to get the wagon tinted, but with the acquisition of the third car, and trying to recover from 6 months of unemployment, money's kinda tight. Or I should say, what little extra money I have each month is allocated elsewhere. Time to buy snow tires for example.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I put one of those little S2000-style stubby antennas on my 1998 ZX2. It had a huge long chrome thing that looked retarded.

Also, this isn't TO my ride, but FOR my ride. I had my contractor friend come out and pour a third parking pad on the driveway at my new house. Now I can pick between cars without having to park something on the narrow street. I have been hit-and-run a couple times and it street parking makes me paranoid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just wrapped up the post work project. The Cherokee got new plugs, wires, distributor and rotor and wrapped it up with an oil change. But now my oil pressure is spiking at random times. Ugh, sometimes I hate this car. If it wasn't so drat reliable I'd have sold it by now.

Charles L. Fuck
Dec 19, 2007

by Ozma
my 944 started vibrating a whole bunch and making unpleasant noises when i drove it to the supermarket the other day.

turns out a Prior Owner replaced the superior German locknut on the balance shaft belt tensioner with inferior American fasteners. it worked its way loose, and the tensionless flappin' belt destroyed both idlers and bent the outer flange on one of the balance shaft sprockets. all the components involved are now suspect and need replacement. (i torqued the inferior American nut to the superior German torque spec when replacing the belt. this was not enough!!)

in short, i'm out $120 because of a nut. gonna use some loctite 242 next time

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
I ripped out my passenger seat and have it sitting in my living room. Have a few products I want to try and completely restore the upholstery in the car. All the upholstery is in great condition, it's just dirty and stained as gently caress. After reading Paul Boz's thread, I might also switch the interior color to black, but that's more long-term.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I washed my car. I was going to claybar and wax it, but suddenly it started pouring. It'll have to wait for another day.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought it. Lots of fun driving ahead of me!

I had blacklight LEDs under my old ride. I wonder if I should do the same here?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Yeah you should definitely put black light mad tyte underglow on your automatic v6 convertable Mustang, all your girlfriends at the hair salon will be super impressed.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol, AI is too easy

INTERNETRACECAR
May 25, 2005
Rabbit Injected!

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I bought it. Lots of fun driving ahead of me!

I had blacklight LEDs under my old ride. I wonder if I should do the same here?

:golfclap:

a brilliant troll.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I mostly installed a remote start and a pair of door lock actuators in my 1992 Honda Accord DX five-speed with a little help and guidance from my friend James. Keyless entry and rempote start on a nearly twenty year old base model is awesome.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

lol, AI is too easy

Way to let it ride for a full 18 minutes dude. You burned a whole one AI member.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
My order from IPD arrived on Friday,

so over yesterday and today the LOLvo got the following:

New left and right engine mounts
New transmission mount
New 4th gear lockout for the overdrive
New shift knob, cap, and overdrive switch
New transmission speedo housing seal
New speedo cable end seal
New speedo cable
A full set of new ceramic fuses and a fuse box refurbish
A new preheat hose
and I made and installed 2 new tailgate wiring harnesses from scratch (and added extra wires for a 3rd brake light and central locking actuator.

Plus a hell of a good interior clean.

I'm really proud of myself for the amount of work I've done since buying this car... Never tackled anything as involved as engine and trans mounts before, and I've also never removed any panels before (had to take off the tailgate to fit the wiring harnesses). This is certainly giving me the confidence to tackle more involved jobs in the future.

After everything else I've listed I've done to it in this thread, it won't be getting anything more for a while, except for a service in another 4,000km.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 5, 2009

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I changed my oil, which is a lot easier now that I've put on a fumoto drain valve on my car. I also washed, claybarred, and waxed. I think I need to take my car to a good body shop to have a really good polish and detail job done. While they are at it they can fill in all the stone chips on the hood too.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Finally got the old inner fender pulled out yesterday, and put the new fender and headlight assembly on today. My car now looks like every other beat up old 944 instead of one with serious fender damage. Yay!

Well, it will once I put the new valence and old bumper back on. Stupid darkness. I wish I had more time to work on my car.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

So, I got this a week ago for 400 bucks. LTD Brougham with the 400, its got a old-rear end cherrybomb and sounds awesome.

First thing I did was replace the engine oil & filter, since the PO had never done it in the four years he had it. Then I replaced the tranny oil, filter, and gasket and its shifting a lot better now. After that, I replaced the distributor cap, points, and spark plugs. It runs pretty good now except that it needs some work on the gas pedal to keep it from stalling when it starts.

I have a shop manual coming in a couple days, and I'm going to go over my tune-up since I didn't know anything about how the points were supposed to go in or how the sparkplugs were supposed to be gapped (:downs:)

Then just yesterday, I bought two sets of wheels but the center holes were about 1/16th of an inch too small to fit. And finally today I added some more tranny fluid since it was slipping again, which seems to have fixed that. And I filled the tank (took about $40 of gas), gonna find out what mileage I'm getting on the next fill-up.

Anyone have any idea where to get some new hood or door hinges? I've tried ebay and did a few half-hearted google searches and asked all American classics but no dice. I'm in NW Washington if it matters.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I was driving my 92 Accord DX back to work from lunch and the manual transmission stopped working. It made a noise like grinding gears and now the shifter won't go into any gears.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Strabo4 posted:

Anyone have any idea where to get some new hood or door hinges? I've tried ebay and did a few half-hearted google searches and asked all American classics but no dice. I'm in NW Washington if it matters.

Awesome car, I have a 70' LTD as well. Mine is a convertible with the 429. So far everything I've bought for it I was able to get at regular parts stores. But I haven't done any body work yet so I don't know if that will work for something like a hinge. This is the pain in the rear end part about buying a car that doesn't have a following like the Mustang where you can build a new car from aftermarket parts.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Got a Superchips Cortex tuner for the G8. It doesn't add much power, but it allowed me to deactivate the DOD (No more horrible drone on the highway) and tweak the torque management settings so the transmission shifts more like a performance car. All in all, I'm very satisfied.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Got a Superchips Cortex tuner for the G8. It doesn't add much power, but it allowed me to deactivate the DOD (No more horrible drone on the highway) and tweak the torque management settings so the transmission shifts more like a performance car. All in all, I'm very satisfied.

I saw a huge difference in power on mine with the 93 performance tune, 50% torque management, and shift points raised. Which tune did you use?

Guys are getting 10-15 wheel horsepower out of the 93 performance tune.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I used the 91 tune because we can't get 93 here. I did however set the torque to 50%, and raised the 1-2 shift by 250 rpm. Like I said, I haven't felt a lot of power yet, but I love the way it shifts. And maybe a little more power will come after the tune 'settles' in a day or two.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I used the 91 tune because we can't get 93 here. I did however set the torque to 50%, and raised the 1-2 shift by 250 rpm. Like I said, I haven't felt a lot of power yet, but I love the way it shifts. And maybe a little more power will come after the tune 'settles' in a day or two.

Is your car otherwise stock?

It should take a few days of normal driving while the ECM relearns your driving habits. With a CAI, axle backs and the aforementioned settings my car will bark the tires on the 1-2 shift with Stabilitrak turned on.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Just finished a really lazy radio install on the LTD. I ran a heavy-ish wire from the battery's positive terminal into the cabin, then used a $4 radioshack switch to turn the radio on and off. I hooked it up with those twist-cap wire joiner things, hooked up two speakers, jammed them under the front bench, and then shoved the radio and all the wires into the glove-box so it wasn't out in the open. I hid the wires best as I could under floor mats too keep them out of the way.

Babyhitler would murder me. :(

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Strabo4 posted:

Just finished a really lazy radio install on the LTD. I ran a heavy-ish wire from the battery's positive terminal into the cabin, then used a $4 radioshack switch to turn the radio on and off. I hooked it up with those twist-cap wire joiner things, hooked up two speakers, jammed them under the front bench, and then shoved the radio and all the wires into the glove-box so it wasn't out in the open. I hid the wires best as I could under floor mats too keep them out of the way.

Babyhitler would murder me. :(

I'd help him bury the body... :eng99:

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
Pulled my front propshaft so I can drive the car until a replacement U-Joint arrives.

In the process discovered one of many oil leaks on the output seal when it dripped EP90 right in my loving eye. Not that I can be bothered fixing the seal, it'll just leak from somewhere else.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fitted a boost gauge to get an idea what the turbo is doing. At least ive found out why this thing goes so well compared to others- the stock boost on the 1KZ-TE motor is 9psi, mines running a solid 12psi!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Ferremit posted:

Fitted a boost gauge to get an idea what the turbo is doing. At least ive found out why this thing goes so well compared to others- the stock boost on the 1KZ-TE motor is 9psi, mines running a solid 12psi!

I thought you oceanians used kilopascals? That extra boost will come in handy when summer is in full swing and the air is less dense. :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

PSI when refering to air pressure, KPA when refering to water pressure works for me!

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It should take a few days of normal driving while the ECM relearns your driving habits. With a CAI, axle backs and the aforementioned settings my car will bark the tires on the 1-2 shift with Stabilitrak turned on.

Yeah, it's otherwise stock. I had the cash for the tuner, or for an intake. I chose the tuner for now. I'm probably going with the Vararam when I get some more cash saved up.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Took it for an alignment because I just did all the struts and everything was crooked.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Yeah, it's otherwise stock. I had the cash for the tuner, or for an intake. I chose the tuner for now. I'm probably going with the Vararam when I get some more cash saved up.

Yeah the Vararam is really nice. The best one for these cars for sure.

Also did you update your tuner online before you tuned the car? If not you should - the v121 tune was a big jump from the previous ones.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I did update it first thing. My car may not run as strong because I'm about 3,500 feet above sea level here. But, with the traction control off and 50% shift torque, I'll get a nice little wiggle when it shifts from 1st to 2nd.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

blew the teeth off another spider gear (second loving time this year, I never do burnouts or anything, what the gently caress?) cracked the teeth, and went to pull the threaded pin holding the trolley pin in, I pull it out, and the piece of poo poo is snapped half way, meaning I can't even take the loving carier out.

So I try everything, chewing gun, a magner, super glue, to try and pull this little piece of embedded pin out. Finally I give up for the night.

That's when inspiration hits.

Dremel time baby!

HAHAHAHA I got you little fucker!

So what I did is I slotted the trolley pin over where the threaded pin goes through it, then I chipped metal out until I could see the pin, I tried to remove it, but it wouldn't come, so I cut it back as far as it would go without damaging the carrier, stuck a screwdriver in the slot, and beat the mother fucker with a hammer until it snapped and came free.

After that everything was a cinche!

Oh yeah, then a chunk of gear tooth that I missed cleaning out the pumpking got stuck in the slot between the ring gear and carrier, and started tickling the end of the pinion gear, making a nice THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP noise, so I had to service the diff again, and while trying to get gear oil in it I cut the bottle open on the muffler shroud and gear oil puked loving everywhere.

Ford 7.5" :argh:

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Dropped the transmission pan on our Suburban, changed the filter and flushed the rest of the old fluid out via the cooler line.

This was my first time attempt at servicing an automatic, and now I know when people bitch that it's a pain in the rear end and makes a giant mess they mean it. I managed to spill fluid all over the place while loosening the bolts, and again later when I thought I had the return cooler line unhooked and directed into the bucket. It turned out I unhooked the feed line and ended up spraying ATF all over the exhaust and undercarriage, not to mention the giant puddle in the driveway. I'll be power-washing the driveway tomorrow.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Installed a stock rear visor on my MK1 MR2. Broke half the loving clips on the c pillar doing so. Stupid C pillars are worth their weight in gold.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Bought a new battery for the LTD and it seems to have fixed most of my electrical issues. My blinkers all work at the correct speed and the high beam switch works now! Yaaaaay.

Completely unrelated to my half-assed stereo install. :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Replaced a burnt bulb in my 190E. A task made enormously easy by Mercedes' tail lamp design:

All of the bulbs are on a platter that mates up to the back of the colored plastic of the lamps. Untwist two locks, and the platter comes off. A single harness plugs into the platter, which would probably make debugging electrical problems a touch easier. Not to mention all the bulbs use a common ground.

Replacing the bulb reminded me of putting a gem in a socketed item in Diablo.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My 197bhp Honda Civic can chirp 2nd and 3rd, whats your point?

Admittedly, this was on the stock Michelins. I've put a new set of Goodyear Eagle GTs and I doubt it could do it now on the 2->3 shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

BabyJesus posted:

My 197bhp Honda Civic can chirp 2nd and 3rd, whats your point?

Admittedly, this was on the stock Michelins. I've put a new set of Goodyear Eagle GTs and I doubt it could do it now on the 2->3 shift.

Your Civic didn't weigh over 4,000 pounds? The G8 is a big fatty.
Also, the stock transmission tuning had very lazy shifts. That's one of the biggest gripes most owners have. I don't know if the stock torque management was designed to increase the longevity of the transmission, or if they wanted it to shift more like a 'luxury' car. It's bad enough that you had to pay an extra $15K to even have the option for a man tran. Either way, it's pretty unacceptable for a sporty sedan.