Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Eh. They don't have really any prescence or energy, I will agree. But I think BTBAM shows are still loving sick. At the very least it's impressive to hear them play the stuff in person, nearly perfectly. I'm a huge huge fan of the music though so I can imagine being bored if I wasn't that into them..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Eh. They don't have really any prescence or energy, I will agree. But I think BTBAM shows are still loving sick. At the very least it's impressive to hear them play the stuff in person, nearly perfectly. I'm a huge huge fan of the music though so I can imagine being bored if I wasn't that into them..
Yeah I wouldn't go see them if you're not really familiar with their music. It's awesome if you are but they don't move around all that much. Tommy Rogers (vocals) gets really into it though when he's not over by his keyboard.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

All That Remains is playing in Houston this weekend. I saw them at Mayhem fest, should I go and see them again? y/n

I would, but isn't it part of that Harddrive tour? 'Cause the supporting acts are loving garbage. Lacuna Coil and Maylene. What the hell was ATR thinking?

I love seeing them live, they put on a good show, but sitting through those bands is too much for me.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

MalConstant posted:

I would, but isn't it part of that Harddrive tour? 'Cause the supporting acts are loving garbage. Lacuna Coil and Maylene. What the hell was ATR thinking?

I love seeing them live, they put on a good show, but sitting through those bands is too much for me.

Whaaat? Maylene and the Sons of Disaster are awesome. I can't wait to see some videos on YouTube with Schuylar Croom as the vocalist (Dallas Taylor had to drop off this tour, so the lead singer of He Is Legend is filling in).

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

MalConstant posted:

You are loving high, Maylene is amazing. I love ATR (although Overcome is p. weak compared to Fall of Ideals and This Darkened Heart) and would be psyched to see them with Maylene. Lacuna Coil... meh. Used to like them, not so much anymore.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Lacuna Coil were always below average, but they've become complete and total poo poo now. They're enough to completely turn me off that bill. gently caress em.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

deadwing posted:

Lacuna Coil were always below average, but they've become complete and total poo poo now. They're enough to completely turn me off that bill. gently caress em.

Yup. Saw them in April, they were openign for KSE. Bleh. I had their original 6 track demo like six years ago, they were awesome then. "Falling" is a great track.

beadgc
Jun 11, 2005
bass

These guys are pretty great, I just bought their demo on Itunes. It's nice to hear something a bit different from your standard hardcore. Any other bands with a similiar sound?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

You are loving high, Maylene is amazing. I love ATR (although Overcome is p. weak compared to Fall of Ideals and This Darkened Heart) and would be psyched to see them with Maylene. Lacuna Coil... meh. Used to like them, not so much anymore.

I liked overcome. :(

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009
Most people that talk poo poo about pits on the internet are just too scared to try it, instead they talk poo poo about it to make themselves feel better.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

beadgc posted:

These guys are pretty great, I just bought their demo on Itunes. It's nice to hear something a bit different from your standard hardcore. Any other bands with a similiar sound?

How the hell does this sound different from your standard hardcore. Vocalist sounds like the guy from in the face of war so you should check em out, also they're probably a million times better than these guys.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
the acacia strain(<3) and impending doom saturday in allentown PA. Anyone here gonna be here?

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
To the guy asking about BTBAM tickets, if it's the shows in February you mean then they're supporting Lamb of God. Also Job For A Cowboy and August Burns Red.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

it went up a few days ago but DEP's studio update is on youtube. mostly guitars and some vocal tracking but I'm getting excited for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs8nkRJYCbE

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

it went up a few days ago but DEP's studio update is on youtube. mostly guitars and some vocal tracking but I'm getting excited for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs8nkRJYCbE

This sounds awesome. I don't even listen to DEP I probably should.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

[video]

To be honest I kinda somehow forgot about these guys after Ire Works, but the clip is cool.

Volcomxxstone
Jun 26, 2009
Anyone excited for As Blood Runs Black's new poo poo? I hope they find a vocalist soon...

also...

BTBAM's new album may be close to metalgasm. I hope they top Colors, but that's gonna be a tough album to improve on. And of course they're not gonna be moving around in concert, that stuff is ungodly hard to play. The guitarist is practically soloing throughout the whole cd.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Volcomxxstone posted:

Anyone excited for As Blood Runs Black's new poo poo? I hope they find a vocalist soon...

also...

BTBAM's new album may be close to metalgasm. I hope they top Colors, but that's gonna be a tough album to improve on. And of course they're not gonna be moving around in concert, that stuff is ungodly hard to play. The guitarist is practically soloing throughout the whole cd.

Also, the rhythm guitar Dusty has back problems.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I saw them play WHILE their drummer passed a kidney stone. They're more fun live when they play stuff off of the first two albums. I miss the days when "LETS KILL THEM ALL" was met with chaos. I'm not really into where they're going as a band and can't really get interested in their post-Alaska stuff, I'll definitely check out the new one though.

As for DEP, I actually really liked most of the stuff on Ire Works. Really excited for the new one and to finally get to see them again. They haven't come around here since shortly after Miss Machine.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The new DEP should be really interesting if for no other reason than that they're no longer on Relapse and now have their own imprint under Season of Mist. If they let themselves quit writing songs like "Black Bubblegum," it could easily be the best thing since Calculating Infinity.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
Converge has been my favorite band for about 4 years and I really don't "get" Axe To Fall, although I like all the bands that obviously influenced it, it almost feels like they're doing an amateur version of what other bands are. I really need to listen to it more, but also from what I've heard the chromatic riffs are getting kind of stale, although that is Converge.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Those chromatic riffs really make Converge stand out, though, if you ask me. Ballou has this penchant for atonality and dissonance that just make it erupt in my ears. I wouldn't feel as much of an impact otherwise. You're right, though. The riffs do start to get a bit stale on their new album. I wasn't sure if it was just from listening to the band for so much over the past seven years. I do have to disagree about the band part. I think the guests make it sound like the band is even more comfortable and confident than usual. I'd even say this is their most confident album yet.

On another note, I'm never sure what thread Coalesce belongs in, but I'm still obsessed with OX and I really don't think I've found a release this year that can touch it. Converge has the only heavy album that tries to threaten its position for me. (It probably ties it, but I don't want to sound like your typical Converge fanfag. :v:)

oversteps fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 15, 2009

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Nasam posted:

Those chromatic riffs really make Converge stand out, though, if you ask me. Ballou has this penchant for atonality and dissonance that just make it erupt in my ears. I wouldn't feel as much of an impact otherwise. You're right, though. The riffs do start to get a bit stale on their new album. I wasn't sure if it was just from listening to the band for so much over the past seven years. I do have to disagree about the band part. I think the guests make it sound like the band is even more comfortable and confident than usual. I'd even say this is their most confident album yet.

On another note, I'm never sure what thread Coalesce belongs in, but I'm still obsessed with OX and I really don't think I've found a release this year that can touch it. Converge has the only heavy album that tries to threaten its position for me. (It probably ties it, but I don't want to sound like your typical Converge fanfag. :v:)
Before this album I was beyond an archetypical converge "fanfag" but, it's just every album they've released prior to this was so new to everything I had heard, and completely all their own, and while there's no denying that Axe To Fall is their own, it's just doesn't sound new to me, doesn't break any ground as their past releases had.
I agree the chromatic riffs are what make them them, or one of the things, but on a few tracks they stick out so much(losing battle). I don't know, maybe it's just I've been counting down the days to this cd since like a week after No Heroes came out.

Also Ox is really great, though.

Sidenote, BTBAM's new cd is going to be the best of the year. Still hasn't leaked I believe

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Nasam posted:

Could you explain all this technical mumbo jumbo to a guy who just think the new record is awesome? What should I be listening for?

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Eight Is Legend posted:

Could you explain all this technical mumbo jumbo to a guy who just think the new record is awesome? What should I be listening for?
Nothing, that dude just wants Ballou to "erupt" in his mouth. If you enjoy the record, you enjoy it. Don't look for reasons why.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Spiral posted:

Nothing, that dude just wants Ballou to "erupt" in his mouth. If you enjoy the record, you enjoy it. Don't look for reasons why.

No no, that's not really what I'm looking for, I just think it's interesting to hear exactly what the musicians are doing to achieve the heaviness and certain "feel" of the record.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
My friend's band from Indianapolis area:

http://www.myspace.com/viresmusic

Corruptor is my favorite track they have up :)

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

haha well it kind of ruins it really. but chromatic meaning in laymens terms, the notes are close to each other. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FdJpeaHexw&feature=fvw chromatic scale . the concepts of atonality and dissonance are something you should look up if you really want to know about.

that vires band kind of sucks. i've heard so many bands that sound exactly like that, there's like 4 from my city alone.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
http://www.myspace.com/achilles

I'm very much enjoying this band right now, maybe you will too?????

in other news I went and saw the acacia strain for the second time the other day, sooo goood. Although my children my bride are HORRIBLE and august burns red are really bad although they put on a good show and I like the singer.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Pantalones! posted:

http://www.myspace.com/achilles

I'm very much enjoying this band right now, maybe you will too?????
I'm diggin this a lot as well.

You might like this band I've been into lately that this reminds me of called Oh Sleeper.

http://www.myspace.com/ohsleeper

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

The Dirtyness posted:

I'm diggin this a lot as well.

You might like this band I've been into lately that this reminds me of called Oh Sleeper.

http://www.myspace.com/ohsleeper

Really? They sound nothing alike.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Oh Sleeper puts on a great show (I recently found out :P)

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
For Parkway Drive fans, I've never heard this song before and here is an awesome video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydeMwSzX8fk

"Unrest"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

beadgc posted:

Saints never surrender!!!!
It's basically the same band minus the singer.
Brutus is one hell of an album.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

The breakdown in Lecturing Raskolnikov by Ion Dissonance is incredible.

Just thought I'd add.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

http://lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=13475

Animosity broke up :cry:

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?
Animosity breaking up has me so bummed. They did deathcore right.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

For Parkway Drive fans, I've never heard this song before and here is an awesome video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydeMwSzX8fk

"Unrest"

That song sounds loving awesome from the little I could hear of it... why can't I live in an area that these kinds of band regularly tour? :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BTBAM leaked :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

A5H posted:

BTBAM leaked :supaburn:

WHAT