Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008
I would be in for the christmas thing (etsy shop is elephunkstrunk)

Also, I'm sponsoring my first sneak attack on etsy today. I'd love it if you guys came and helped bumb the tread maybe even purchased from the victims if you have any cash to spare.
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6262697

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

pennylane posted:

Just a question, how do you guys deal with items that have gone missing in the post? I had a necklace go missing on it's way to Istanbul, 2 months later it never showed up. The guy at the post office told me it is pretty common for things to just "go missing" when sending them to Turkey. It didn't have tracking so there was nothing I could do really. For starters the postage was way more than I had estimated (close to $15) so I lost money on that sale to begin with.

On my shop policies I state that unless insurance is requested any items lost in the mail is the responsibility of the buyer. This feels really harsh though.

After much deliberation I offered her a refund on the item (excluding postage) or as option B I said I could send her another one if she wanted to pick up the cost of postage and insurance.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on it, as I am feeling pretty bad about the whole thing and the last thing I would want is some negative feedback.

Maybe I am just mean, but if the buyer is in Turkey and it really is common for things to go missing then it seems like they should have asked about insurance to begin with. It is really awesome that you are offering a redo but I don't think it'd be harsh if you wouldn't have offered it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I was wondering if anyone here did any real life craft fairs? I'm going to my first one this weekend and I'm a little nervous.

Does anyone have any advice? Or suggestions on what I should bring?

queen_maeree
Mar 21, 2007
Queen of Scots, yo!

Jet-Poop posted:

My sister just started selling her glass there during the last month or so. She doesn't really know what to charge people for stuff. She's been making stuff for years but only recently started selling any of it.

Her stuff is here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5388525

Your sister's glassware is pretty awesome. If I had the money, I'd buy a couple of pieces.

queen_maeree
Mar 21, 2007
Queen of Scots, yo!

pixel8ed posted:

You get paid however you would like. You can take cheque, money order... Most however do Paypal since it's pretty instant. Well, instant for the buyer. As a seller I have to wait days to get money out of Paypal and into my bank account but it's only a minor inconvenience.

You can get a Paypal debit card, for free, so you can have access to your funds immediately. That's what I did. They charge ATM fees, but I haven't been charged a fee for getting cash back at stores.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I was wondering if anyone here did any real life craft fairs? I'm going to my first one this weekend and I'm a little nervous.

Does anyone have any advice? Or suggestions on what I should bring?

I've helped friends in a few craft fairs and artist alleys. Bring extra bags/ways for customers to carry their purchases, lots of change (1s 5s 10s in bills and stock up on quarters), extra pens and paper. If you have a portfolio showing older work or other things that would be fun to show off too. It doesn't hurt to have food packed away as well. That way you don't have to ask your fair neighbor to watch your stuff while you go grab a bite.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

pennylane posted:

Just a question, how do you guys deal with items that have gone missing in the post? I had a necklace go missing on it's way to Istanbul, 2 months later it never showed up. The guy at the post office told me it is pretty common for things to just "go missing" when sending them to Turkey. It didn't have tracking so there was nothing I could do really. For starters the postage was way more than I had estimated (close to $15) so I lost money on that sale to begin with.

On my shop policies I state that unless insurance is requested any items lost in the mail is the responsibility of the buyer. This feels really harsh though.

After much deliberation I offered her a refund on the item (excluding postage) or as option B I said I could send her another one if she wanted to pick up the cost of postage and insurance.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on it, as I am feeling pretty bad about the whole thing and the last thing I would want is some negative feedback.

I had an item lost in the mail a couple months ago and I ended up just making another (I had offered her a replacement or a refund). She loved it when the 2nd item finally arrived (first is still lost), and left me glowing feedback.

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!
(cross posting from the etsy thread in GBS)

Some of these shops make me insanely jealous, but here's my little store :D

Screaming Cat Head

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

animeluva1 posted:

Very helpful advice

My craft fair went off without a hitch! Good call on the portfolio. It was nice to show people that I could do other things beyond bunnies and kittens.

That being said I still have plenty of stock leftover for a Goony Christmas team-up.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Speaking of which, is anyone going to step up to organize any of the holiday stuff? I'd love to but I just can't commit to anything at the moment as I have like zero free time with the baby now.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
I'll do the organizing. No problem. I'm thinking we should aim for a target date of around October 20th to launch the ad and thread in SA Mart. Anyone have any objections to that? Other than that if everyone participating could email/pm me so I can keep everything straight I'd appreciate it. Just let me know in the message your SA username, etsy name and shop address and that should do it. Oh, and if you're offering an SA only offer let me know that as well (free shipping, free product, percentage discount, etc).

I'm trying to remember how much we all pitched in for the ads last year and I think it was maybe around $10, but I could be wrong.

My email address is my SA username at gmail.com

Ampersand
Apr 19, 2006

So I've been trying to convince my aunt to jump on the Etsy thing for a while now, and she finally did it! I can't believe it took as long as it did to convince her that the internet would reach more people than one little Minneapolis boutique...

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7272908

Christmas is always exciting because I'm her goddaughter and that improves my chances slightly of getting one of her bags. I've been lucky twice so far. They're even cooler in real life.

paxjordana
Sep 17, 2006

Oh, this is the joy of the rose: that it blows, and goes.

Ampersand posted:

So I've been trying to convince my aunt to jump on the Etsy thing for a while now, and she finally did it! I can't believe it took as long as it did to convince her that the internet would reach more people than one little Minneapolis boutique...

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7272908

Christmas is always exciting because I'm her goddaughter and that improves my chances slightly of getting one of her bags. I've been lucky twice so far. They're even cooler in real life.

Those purses are really sweet. I have a similar sort of repurposed purse that I picked up a while back, but it looks a lot less professional. Tell your aunt that hers are awesome! What boutique is she selling at?

Also, unrelated to that, I made a post in August asking for feedback on my etsy shop, and apparently didn't link to it because I am an idiot. So here it is: paxattacks.etsy.com

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!
Posting again to promote my friend's etsy shop, she does similar reconstruction and handmade bits for necklaces, earrings and bracelets. Her stuff is adorable and you should check it out:

Wishbowl

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I've been trying to sell some of my original gouache and acrylic paintings on my Etsy this summer, but I seem to have the hardest time selling my stuff at a decent price. Any feedback? The paintings I'm selling are originals, not prints, so lowering my prices much more than this would be totally unprofitable.

Here's my shop! Any advice?

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008

Saucy Robot posted:

I've been trying to sell some of my original gouache and acrylic paintings on my Etsy this summer, but I seem to have the hardest time selling my stuff at a decent price. Any feedback? The paintings I'm selling are originals, not prints, so lowering my prices much more than this would be totally unprofitable.

I think selling art is hard, and you definitely shouldn't lower your prices. Keep adding more--people like variety it gives them more to choose from. Also try renewing the painting you do have listed at least every couple of days or so to keep yourself toward the front of searches.

paxjordana
Sep 17, 2006

Oh, this is the joy of the rose: that it blows, and goes.

Saucy Robot posted:

I love your stuff! If I had money right now, I would snatch up a couple of those pieces in an instant. Your prices seem a bit low for originals, especially considering the quality, but it can be really difficult to price your art to reflect the effort you put into it and still have people buy it.

One suggestion that I might make would be to add in some sketches or drawings at a lower price, just to get people in and buying things. Still, of course, priced to be worthwhile for you, but then everyone can see how cool your work is before committing to a more expensive purchase.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

Saucy Robot posted:

Your paintings are actually really good. I think the issue is the market you're approaching. Etsy is not really a venue for up-and-coming artists or fine art type stuff. Of course you can sell stuff on there, but it would be hard to make a living. The exception I'd say might be printed materials that are reproduced easily and sold at lower price / higher quantity like screen prints or block prints, but even then, who knows. Honestly I would suggest trying to find other avenues to sell your art - small restaurants that are home owned, cafes, etc. Offer them a % of the sale and charge a moderate amount. Consider selling at fairly low prices to build up a client / e-mail list of people who like your style.

In fact any kind of store front that sells weird / offbeat stuff or caters to "weird" folk would be a good place to approach, just expect to be turned down 9/10 times. You only need a few spots to show, really.

Working in series or with similar themes will help you here, as well.

wwjebusdo
Jan 1, 2009

Saucy Robot posted:

Do you have more pieces available? I think more variety would help. Also offering prints for ~$20 may help as well. Your prices do seem mighty low for originals but more than many of the people who would be inclined to buy can pay.

I'd buy a print of the squid and little girl for $20.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
Wow, I really love the Owl Swing Saucy Robot... I need money to get this, why do I have to be poor right now :(

EDIT: The more I look at it, the more I want it.

pepsigloworm fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 1, 2009

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Is anyone else having trouble keeping up with all the changes going on? Teaching and research are keeping me from checking the Etsy forums as often, and I'm rather surprised to hear about the whole Google Base and SEO updates.

Correct me if I'm wrong; Etsy will automatically load our products into Google Base in Nov/Dec, and the only SEO update is a huge pdf "how-to"?

About the only other thing I got around to today was checking my site optimization info. I used http://www.rankingtoday.com/seo/site-checkup.php?SID=GADW but if anyone has a better resource do post it.

So far it shows zantie.etsy.com as being moderately ranked, while my other catalog is listed as excellent. Apparently keywords are the shop sections, and the description is what we have in our profile. Not terribly useful, but maybe it'll get better?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Zantie posted:

Is anyone else having trouble keeping up with all the changes going on?

It's not just you. It got to the point where I gave up and let my cousin "correct" my shop for me since she's been able to follow what's going on.

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008

Zantie posted:

About the only other thing I got around to today was checking my site optimization info. I used http://www.rankingtoday.com/seo/site-checkup.php?SID=GADW but if anyone has a better resource do post it.

I just put my shop in there and there are a couple of places (title tags, META keywords) where the result was "warning" with a big ole exclamation mark, but no helpful information on how to fix it or what was wrong with it. Is that information somewhere else?

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Hey everyone, fall is here and Halloween is on the way! And they're my favorite season and holiday respectively...so show me what you've got, Etsy goons!

Here's some seasonal stuff from my shop.

Necklaces:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31384520
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19991180
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22731273

Paper Goods:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31218782
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31989223
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31219852
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31952724

Magnets:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31951198
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31949676

Your turn. :)

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I have some items I'd like to sell on Etsy made out of ~*Brand Designer*~'s fabric, which I have purchased on the cheap. Does anyone know the legality of selling these items stating that they are made from ~*Brand Designer*~'s fabric? The designer in question in is incredibly litigious and I don't want to give them any grounds to start anything.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to use the designer's name to sell your products without permission as it'd be a breach of copyright.

I'm not an expert on this stuff though, someone else might know more.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I have some items I'd like to sell on Etsy made out of ~*Brand Designer*~'s fabric, which I have purchased on the cheap. Does anyone know the legality of selling these items stating that they are made from ~*Brand Designer*~'s fabric? The designer in question in is incredibly litigious and I don't want to give them any grounds to start anything.

Do you mean you've taken an item of clothing, say a shirt you bought from DKNY, and have turned it into a different piece of clothing or item? It seems on Etsy that something like that is simply considered "recycling" or "upcycling," and a lot of sellers do it. As long as you bought the item and didn't reproduce it and try to sell it under the designer's name, you should be Ok. A lot of people use pieces of books and stuff in their items, and that's allowed so long as they use a piece of the actual book they bought--using a scanned and printed image, however, would be toeing the line of copyright infringement.

If you mean fabric as in "Amy Butler designed this swatch of fabric that I bought," you are also allowed to use that to make an item and you should be allowed to mention the name of the designer. Supply vendors on Etsy sell designer fabric all the time, and artists are constantly selling clothes, bags, coasters, towels, etc. made from the fabric and mentioning the designer's name in their item's info. I can't imagine the designer getting upset with this, as it's pretty much free advertising for them.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Rolled Cabbage posted:

If your talking about just regular fabric (like what you would buy at jo-ann's) look down the side of the fabric at the information strip, and if it says anything like "Not for commercial use" or "Home use only" then those are the types of fabrics you can't make things to sell. Usually anything that is licensed print is kept in a seperate location in Jo-Ann's (think Disney, Muppets, Dora, Sports Teams, etc). However there have been quite a few fabrics I've seen that are in the regular section that have the "For home use only" strip down the side.

Obviously, this doesn't stop anyone from making these things and selling them on Etsy. Doing that can get your shop shut down. If you read through the forums, there is a bunch of he said/she said crap about how you can sell items made with licensed fabric if you say its non-official, and made with fabric (but no one official has ever said that obviously). Supposedly there are lots of loopholes that allow you to sell these items, etc. Apparently there was one person successful enough to stand up to Disney when they came knocking, but the point is, that costs a lot of money/time/:effort: so I personally just stay away from all fabric that has the warning strips.

Oh and don't confused it if it says "Copyright" on the side, that just means the fabric design its self is copyrighted.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys. It's not recycled fabric, so I guess I'm going to stear clear of using it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Are the goons going to do another Christmas team-up with banner ads? And when?

Brice
Jul 23, 2006
Is It Bad to Get Cheese in Open Cuts?
A good friend of mines shop.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7065885

Knitted scarves, arm warmers, bags, hair accessories, ect.

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

Saucy Robot posted:

I'm the guy that just bought two of your works.

I think there's something to said about spreading the word on your shop, because without checking this thread I probably would have never seen your works, seeing as an Etsy search for original paintings brings up over a thousand hits. Apart from just loving your art, I thought the prices were very reasonable considering these appear to be quality originals. I look forward to seeing them on my walls.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.

Are the goons going to do another Christmas team-up with banner ads? And when?

I had posted to get interest a while ago and I've only heard from 3 people. Not sure how we want to proceed with that.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

pixel8ed posted:

I had posted to get interest a while ago and I've only heard from 3 people. Not sure how we want to proceed with that.

Oh. :smith: Maybe you should make a topic just for it? Or message some known etsy people? I could help. :shobon:

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

My fiancee and I just opened an Etsy shop this week. It's mostly jewellery (rings and necklaces) but there are a couple 'other' things like a snazzy jewelry rack (my design) and some fancy pet-bowl holders.

People seem to like the sun-and-clouds rings so far :)

edit: I'm an idiot and I didn't include a link. It's http://weaselfactory.etsy.com

xdrquinnx fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 25, 2009

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

Oh. :smith: Maybe you should make a topic just for it? Or message some known etsy people? I could help. :shobon:

That's a pity. Count me in, now, anyway - I've cleared the first round of custom orders and my second round has no time frame, so I can easily put them aside for a couple of weeks if there's a Christmas rush.

I just listed these cute little brooches, too:

Now available at http://www.seawood.etsy.com - treat your mum!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

xdrquinnx posted:

My fiancee and I just opened an Etsy shop this week. It's mostly jewellery (rings and necklaces) but there are a couple 'other' things like a snazzy jewelry rack (my design) and some fancy pet-bowl holders.

People seem to like the sun-and-clouds rings so far :)

A link to your shop would be helpful. :)

xdrquinnx
May 5, 2002

GoreJess posted:

A link to your shop would be helpful. :)

:doh: Yeah, that would have been wise. Thanks for pointing that out. http://weaselfactory.etsy.com

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

xdrquinnx posted:

:doh: Yeah, that would have been wise. Thanks for pointing that out. http://weaselfactory.etsy.com

No problem. Any chance that you'd be able to make a dog necklace in the shape of a scottie? I would love to show off my crazy dog lady status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Hey etsy goons! Droppin' by to shamelessly self myself and mention that I've been adding new stock to my shop the last couple days, of all sorts: mittens, needle/pencil organizers, stuffed stegasauri...

http://algernonrex.etsy.com

Check it out!

(More stuff going up everyday)