Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
Hey, does anyone have any idea why Win7 shows the little "safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar for the Daemon-tools virtual drive? I don't think it did that in Vista.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Kleptomaniac posted:

Hey, does anyone have any idea why Win7 shows the little "safely remove hardware" icon on the taskbar for the Daemon-tools virtual drive? I don't think it did that in Vista.

Not showing here with 4.30.4 (with SPTD 1.58 lol) under Windows 7 RC. The only annoyance I have is that Windows pops up a compatibility notice every time the notification area application launches on system startup. I'm not planning on buying or stealing the Professional version just to get rid of this minor nuisance.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Kleptomaniac posted:

My daughter's system has a "Safely remove hardware" item in the tray for her VIDEO CARD.

It is the system's only video card. Nothing onboard. Just a PCI-Express GeForce 9500 GT.

I clicked it once, and the screen went black. I didn't try pulling the card or re-inserting it. I figured that would be a BAD thing to do.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Kleptomaniac posted:

I got it too. Thought it was for my printer, but turns out its for Daemon...........

edit: Lite v4.30.4 , with sptd 1.58, x64 professional if anyone's wondering.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Xenomorph posted:

My daughter's system has a "Safely remove hardware" item in the tray for her VIDEO CARD.

It is the system's only video card. Nothing onboard. Just a PCI-Express GeForce 9500 GT.

I clicked it once, and the screen went black. I didn't try pulling the card or re-inserting it. I figured that would be a BAD thing to do.

My old computer used to have a "Safely remove hardware" item for the hard drive in Vista. I never touched it for fear that it would gently caress up my system, but I never found an explanation for why it was there.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Parachute Underwear posted:

My old computer used to have a "Safely remove hardware" item for the hard drive in Vista. I never touched it for fear that it would gently caress up my system, but I never found an explanation for why it was there.

SATA hard drives are hotplug, all of mine show up on the list.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Only if you're running AHCI, and there should be a way to disable the hot swap feature so they stop showing up on that list. I couldn't imagine trying to eject a USB drive and spinning down my data storage :pwn:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My drives don't show up, but that may be because I set my BIOS to SATA as IDE because I didn't want to deal with installing drivers with XP because I don't have a floppy drive. I'll probably change it all back once I install the RTM of 7 when I feel like switching from the RC.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

kode54 posted:

The only annoyance I have is that Windows pops up a compatibility notice every time the notification area application launches on system startup.

Isn't there a checkbox you can click to tell it not to bother you anymore?

Xenomorph posted:

Whenever I install drivers for my video card, which now happens to be a 9500 also, I hear the "disconnect/connect" sounds. I got them back when I had an ATI as well. It's funny to think of unplugging/replugging your video card. :psyduck:

The Red Baron
Jan 10, 2005

It's funny how people think Windows 7 rips off OS X when the notion of an icon-only dock goes back to Windows 1.0 :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Nice, talking to Fred is more important than writing to grandma. "Who cares, she has Alzheimer's, I'll just say I wrote her last week."

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

Lum posted:

A USB composite device is kind of like having a device with a built in 2+ port hub that then provides 2 or more actual USB devices, in your case Midi port 1 and Midi port 2. When you installed it on XP it would show up briefly as a composite device and then the two midi port drivers would get installed, the actual composite device doesn't show up in device manager the same way a hub does.

Chances are when you installed it on XP you just didn't notice that stage as the drivers actually worked so you just plugged it in and two ports appeared.

You're not doing anything wrong, you're just stuffed because the drivers aren't available. You could try the 32bit Vista drivers if available, they might work if they are user mode and not kernel mode.

Thanks for that, but unfortunately there are no drivers available for any OS, let alone Vista. It's odd, because both of my instruments are new, so who knows what's going on. Things seem to be working now with 32bit Win7, so I guess i'll just play the waiting game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Red Baron posted:

It's funny how people think Windows 7 rips off OS X when the notion of an icon-only dock goes back to Windows 1.0 :)

Now I want to make a Windows 1.0 theme for 7.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

madprocess posted:

The business community doesn't do upgrade installs, they don't buy upgrade licenses. They do clean installs, usually from a single company standard image.

You had no reason to do XP-Vista-7, You'd do much better if you used your 7 upgrade disk to do a clean install that preserved your files.
When I tried booting to the Windows 7 disc or just running the startup from within Windows XP, the "upgrade" option was grayed out until I installed Vista.

Is it the disc I have or am I missing something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You can't upgrade XP. You can do a fresh install without formatting which copies your files to Windows.Old.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
My party pack just got here! Time to enjoy my free Ultimate.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Swilo posted:

Only if you're running AHCI, and there should be a way to disable the hot swap feature so they stop showing up on that list. I couldn't imagine trying to eject a USB drive and spinning down my data storage :pwn:

If you install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software, they don't show up anymore. It also improves how eSata works.

STFU Pumpkinhead
Jun 25, 2000

beejay posted:

Use EVEMon to center the window properly on the screen.

This was answered while ago but I didn't see it until just now. It works great, thanks!

What's the cheapest way to get a copy of Windows 7? I missed my free copy at the MS developers conference in Boston due to traffic, but want to get a copy without paying $200. Suggestions?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

get someone in education to create you a student email and pay 30 bux/quid

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

STFU Pumpkinhead posted:

This was answered while ago but I didn't see it until just now. It works great, thanks!

What's the cheapest way to get a copy of Windows 7? I missed my free copy at the MS developers conference in Boston due to traffic, but want to get a copy without paying $200. Suggestions?

Simplest route is to buy an OEM copy of Home Premium for $110 or an upgrade copy of home premium for $110. Or you can buy a 3-pack of 7 Home Premium upgrade license for $150, so that's $50 an upgrade key.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

fishmech posted:

Simplest route is to buy an OEM copy of Home Premium for $110 or an upgrade copy of home premium for $110. Or you can buy a 3-pack of 7 Home Premium upgrade license for $150, so that's $50 an upgrade key.

Or if you have a *.edu address you can go to https://www.win741.com and get Home/Pro for $30.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Casao posted:

SATA hard drives are hotplug, all of mine show up on the list.

It was an IDE drive I've had since 2004. It only started doing it after a format one day.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
I don't think it was mentioned yet, but the RTM versions of Windows XP Mode and Virtual PC are available on Technet and MSDN.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Lord Commissar posted:

Now I want to make a Windows 1.0 theme for 7.

I'd use it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Wikipedia says that Home Premium edition has a "Maximum Physical Memory" of 16gb. What does this mean, exactly?

EDIT: Oh, wait that's RAM isn't it... :downs:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the posted:

Wikipedia says that Home Premium edition has a "Maximum Physical Memory" of 16gb. What does this mean, exactly?

EDIT: Oh, wait that's RAM isn't it... :downs:

It won't use more than 16 GB of physical RAM. Vista Home Premium had the same restriction.

The concept is that you do that to get users who need more power to use more expensive versions. I believe Home Premium also has an 8-core limit on cores it will recognize and use.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I'm getting the $30 student discount for my netbook, so it won't matter anyway. Thanks, though.

Irondude
Feb 25, 2007

by SA Support Robot
Quick question: has there been a lot of updates released for the final RTM build Windows 7? My updates has been dry as of late, don't know if I'm supposed to have any yet or?

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Irondude posted:

Quick question: has there been a lot of updates released for the final RTM build Windows 7? My updates has been dry as of late, don't know if I'm supposed to have any yet or?

You'll get a big pile of em on Patch Tuesday.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Irondude posted:

Barely had any, though considering it's not even really available to retail yet, that's not surprising.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Is there a native way in Windows 7 to make a copy of video DVD? I made a DVD last year and need to make a copy of it. If there's not a native method to do this, what's the best recommendation?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Dameius posted:

Or if you have a *.edu address you can go to https://www.win741.com and get Home/Pro for $30.
I recently had to recently log into the student portal at the University of Toledo to pull up my old transcripts (I attended back in 2002). I saw that I had access to some Outlook Web Access, but unfortunately it doesn't look like my email account is active anymore. :(

I'll probably just end up buying OEM since I need to build a new computer anyway.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
You guys keep talking about having goddamn Windows parties, and I know you get a free copy and all, but is this just basically everyone trying to scam the system to get a free copy?

In other words, are any of you actually hosting a party? And how would Microsoft know if you didn't?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Some people have said they are throwing a regular party and just happen to be getting windows, or doing it at work. Microsoft won't know though. Except for maybe that guy selling the party kit on ebay (sans windows of course, gotta keep that).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm running Win7 x64 on my main laptop and I love it. However, one of my old machines which is basically a media center PC is up for reinstall. It's only 2GHz Pentium M w/1.5GB DDR. Should I reinstall XP Pro SP3 or go for Win7 x86? Surely XP will run faster than Win7 and obviously there aren't any apps that require Win7 right now, but can anyone foresee a reason why an HTPC would be better off with Win7 despite the lackluster hardware?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People are running Windows 7 one worse. Windows 7 runs better than XP on my laptop from a couple years ago and uses less power now somehow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

People are running Windows 7 one worse. Windows 7 runs better than XP on my laptop from a couple years ago and uses less power now somehow.
Can you elaborate "runs better"? What are the hardware specs and which version of Win7 are you running?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 @ 1.66Ghz, 3GB of RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Not exactly crap, but in XP it would chug along when I got a little overzealous with the firefox tabs, and I haven't had that problem so far.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Xenomorph posted:

I laughed at that.

I haven't had any mysterious "remove hardware" items under Vista or Win7. Kinda feel like I am missing out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why do I have trouble having WASTE start with Windows? On Vista Windows Defender used to "warn" me about it, and I'd have to choose it, but now it just doesn't even do that.

I should add that I have set to open as admin in the properties.

This might be a bit presumptious, but it kinda pisses me off the MS have just decided that I shouldn't be running it, and therefore blocks it starting up. I can't find any way to say "yes I'm content with this running"

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 10, 2009