Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Criterion is starting their trade-in program on the BluRay digipaks from a post on Facebook.

Email mulvaney@criterion.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I must be retarded or something because I'm on their Facebook page and don't see that anywhere. Where do you see it?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Criterion is starting their trade-in program on the BluRay digipaks from a post on Facebook.

Email mulvaney@criterion.com

What's the cost/details?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

The Lucas posted:

They could have done something more with the cover art, but a good addition nonetheless.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The Lucas posted:

That's funny. What's it covering up though? It looks like it's covering up the front cover for another film just with the Criterion logo still exposed.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Good news for fans of Makaveyjev!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

i am not so sure posted:

Good news for fans of Makaveyjev!

But this isn't news? :confused:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

People are saying the December press release only mentions the AK box, Gimmer Shelter BR, and A Christmas Tale.

*box art not final

I'm sad that Criterion still hasn't bought the rights to Dreams.

I don't know what the majority opinion of that film is, but it definitely ranks as one of my favorites, and I really want to see a criterion transfer of the film.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, I've seen about 10% of the films. If I saw one per week, I would finish the collection in about 9 years... if they didn't add any more.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the posted:

So, I've seen about 10% of the films. If I saw one per week, I would finish the collection in about 9 years... if they didn't add any more.

Thanks to Lists of Bests, I know I'm at 87%. I'll probably never get to 100% (I doubt I'd want to sit through all those Paul Robeson movies, or King of Kings) but most of the others are on my "need to watch" list.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

FitFortDanga posted:

Thanks to Lists of Bests, I know I'm at 87%. I'll probably never get to 100% (I doubt I'd want to sit through all those Paul Robeson movies, or King of Kings) but most of the others are on my "need to watch" list.

I figure with Netflix I could get through at least 3 a week, maybe one time when I have a LOT of free time, say if my girlfriend leaves me, I'll devote some serious time to completing it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm at 14% and that includes films I viewed via other mediums (i.e. I saw Z years ago, but not Criterion's DVD).

Not every film is essential, anyways.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Wow, 13%. That's way higher than I was expecting. Of course, most of those I saw on IFC/TCM instead of the actual Criterion DVDs.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

First leak: Rossellini's War Trilogy

cover looks like a shot from Open City

EDIT: actually, that might be from Germany Year Zero. I remember Paisan better than the others.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 15, 2009

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just saw that myself. I'm so happy.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
I just hope that's not a new Eclipse box, I'd like to see more themed sets like the Nikkatsu Noir or Louis Malle's documentaries.

Also, 16% on that List of Bests. I figured somewhere between 16-20%. Guess I got some catching up to do.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Starscream posted:

I just hope that's not a new Eclipse box

Nope

Given how unique Jeanne Dielman is, I'm very interested in this.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DVD & Blu-Ray

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wim Wenders, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring Wenders
•Interview with Wenders by German journalist Roger Willemsen
•Excerpts from the 1990 film Motion and Emotion, featuring interviews with Wenders, actor Harry Dean Stanton, composer Ry Cooder, cinematographer Robby Müller, Samuel Fuller, Dennis Hopper, and Peter Falk
•New interviews with filmmakers Allison Anders and Claire Denis
•Cinéma cinémas: “Wim Wenders Hollywood April ’84,” with Wenders and Cooder working on the score
•Deleted scenes and Super 8 home movies
•Gallery of Wenders’s location-scouting photos, from his book Written in the West
•Behind-the-scenes photos by Robin Holland
•Theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Nick Roddick and interviews with Stanton, writer Sam Shepard, and actors Nastassja Kinski and Dean Stockwell

Not a big fan of this movie, but it's okay. I'd rent it for a second look.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

8 1/2 Blu-Ray, January 12th

new feature: The Last Sequence, a new 52-minute documentary on Fellini's lost alternate ending for 8 1/2 (available on Blu-ray edition)

Sweet!!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

3-disc DVD/2-disc Blu-Ray

•High-definition digital transfers of Che: Part One and Che: Part Two, supervised and approved by director Steven Soderbergh, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentaries on both films, featuring Jon Lee Anderson, author of Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
•Making “Che,” a new documentary about the film’s production, featuring interviews with Soderbergh, producer Laura Bickford, actor-producer Benicio del Toro, and writers Peter Buchman and Ben van der Veen
•New interviews with Cuban historians as well as participants in the 1958 Cuban Revolution and Che’s 1967 Bolivian campaign
•Deleted scenes
•Theatrical trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Amy Taubin
•More!

NOTE: Che: Part One appears in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Che: Part Two appears in 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

War Trilogy specs:

SPECIAL EDITION THREE-DISC SET:

•New, restored high-definition digital transfers
•Video introductions by Roberto Rossellini to all three films, from 1963
•New video interviews with Rossellini scholar Adriano Aprà, Rossellini’s friend and confessor Father Virgilio Fantuzzi, and filmmakers Paolo and Vittorio Taviani
•Audio commentary on Rome Open City by film scholar Peter Bondanella
•Once Upon a Time . . . “Rome Open City,” a 2006 documentary on the making of this historic film, featuring rare archival material and footage of Anna Magnani, Federico Fellini, Ingrid Bergman, and many others
•Rossellini and the City, a new documentary on Rossellini’s use of the urban landscape in these films, by film scholar Mark Shiel
•Excerpts from rarely seen videotaped discussions Rossellini had with faculty and students at Rice University in 1970 about his craft
•Into the Future, a new visual essay about the War Trilogy by film scholar Tag Gallagher
•Roberto Rossellini, a 2001 documentary by Carlo Lizzani, assistant director on Germany Year Zero, tracing Rossellini’s career through archival footage and interviews with family members and collaborators, with tributes by filmmakers François Truffaut and Martin Scorsese
•Letters from the Front: Carlo Lizzani on “Germany Year Zero,” a 1987 podium discussion with Lizzani
•Italian credits and prologue for Germany Year Zero
•New illustrated essay by film scholar Thomas Meder on Rossellini’s relationship with his mistress Roswitha Schmidt
•New and improved English subtitle translations
•PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by director Irene Bignardi and film scholars Colin McCabe, James Quandt, and Jonathan Rosenbaum

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

DVD & Blu-Ray

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wim Wenders, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Excerpts from the 1990 film Motion and Emotion, featuring interviews with Wenders, actor Harry Dean Stanton, composer Ry Cooder, cinematographer Robby Müller, Samuel Fuller, Dennis Hopper, and Peter Falk
•Cinéma cinémas: “Wim Wenders Hollywood April ’84,” with Wenders and Cooder working on the score
•Gallery of Wenders’s location-scouting photos, from his book Written in the West
•Theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Nick Roddick and interviews with Stanton, writer Sam Shepard, and actors Nastassja Kinski and Dean Stockwell

Now that's a fuckin' cover. I always wanted to see this movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

So, the complete January slate in a nutshell:

#496: Che (1/19/10) DVD/BR
#500: War Trilogy (1/26/10) DVD
#501: Paris, Texas (1/26/10) DVD/BR
#140: 8 1/2 (1/12/10) BR
Eclipse 19: Chantal Akerman in the Seventies (1/19/10)

Crowd-pleaser of a month. Nothing I want to buy except 8 1/2, but I'm curious about the ones I haven't seen (Che, Akerman) and will give the others a fresh viewing.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

DVD & Blu-Ray

•Theatrical trailer

Yeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Has there ever been an official explanation as to why Armageddon and The Rock were made into Criterions?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

AccountSupervisor posted:

Has there ever been an official explanation as to why Armageddon and The Rock were made into Criterions?

"Summer blockbuster genre." But really it's to finance the ones that don't sell a lot but are worthwhile to put out.

So happy that Paris, TX is coming out on Criterion. Harry Dean Stanton is a force in that movie.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion also released The Big Chill and Tootsie :ssh:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FitFortDanga posted:

3-disc DVD/2-disc Blu-Ray

•High-definition digital transfers of Che: Part One and Che: Part Two, supervised and approved by director Steven Soderbergh, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentaries on both films, featuring Jon Lee Anderson, author of Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
•Making “Che,” a new documentary about the film’s production, featuring interviews with Soderbergh, producer Laura Bickford, actor-producer Benicio del Toro, and writers Peter Buchman and Ben van der Veen
•New interviews with Cuban historians as well as participants in the 1958 Cuban Revolution and Che’s 1967 Bolivian campaign
•Deleted scenes
•Theatrical trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Amy Taubin
•More!

NOTE: Che: Part One appears in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Che: Part Two appears in 1.78:1 aspect ratio.

Classic cover. I am relieved that there is a release date, it popped up twice in my city for no more than two weeks at a time and I missed both.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I know it's already been announced but waarbgdf this is my new favorite image:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Good to see 8 1/2 is coming in January after all. I'm curious on the War Trilogy since I enjoyed the excerpts from Paisan and Open City viewed in a film class I attended.

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion also released The Big Chill and Tootsie :ssh:

Why do people spaz out about the more commercial titles?

At the time The Rock and Armageddon were released by Criterion, Disney generally didn't do special editions - usually bare-bones. From what I've read, both are quite comprehensive and give a lot of insight into the making of the films. A scholarly treatment of tripe like Armageddon at least will be informative on the technical side.

That's why I think this IFC deal is great. While time will be taken up on these new releases, they're going to have a lot more profit. Profit that can go to stuff like Tati BluRays.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
As I said before, the Armageddon Criterion is also the only one with like 1/2 hour of deleted scenes that maybe/maybe not makes the movie more comprehensible. Still love the movie. I hope Criterion keeps up the high quality titles.

I think the problem with the Michael Bay Criterions were that they cost the same price as the more "important" films when Disney should have released regular DVDs with some of those special features.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

#500: War Trilogy (1/26/10) DVD
#501: Paris, Texas (1/26/10) DVD/BR

And they both come out on my birthday too! Thanks Criterion! :3:

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I don't know anything about Paris, Texas or why you guys are all so excited about it, but I can't wait for Che, the War Trilogy, and 8 1/2 on blu-ray.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

So it turns out the Claire Denis interview was for Paris, Texas. As excited as I am for that release, I still hope Criterion eventually releases something by Denis in the future.

Also, Until the End of the World if we are talking about Wenders.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was surprised to see that I already received my Third Man case today. I have no evidence to back this up, and I'm probably wrong, but it seems a little thinner than the other cases.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Captain Charisma posted:

I was surprised to see that I already received my Third Man case today. I have no evidence to back this up, and I'm probably wrong, but it seems a little thinner than the other cases.

Can you take a picture? Or have they released pictures of the cases?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRAYON posted:

Can you take a picture? Or have they released pictures of the cases?

Yeah, I'll do that in a couple of minutes.

Stupid moment: I looked inside and was initially miffed that they didn't send a booklet. Then I realized I had it already :sweatdrop:

E:

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 17, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It looks the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Like I said, I was probably wrong.

I think the spine threw my eyes off since Repulsion's logo has some space above and below it, creating an illusion of thickness.