Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

SpazmasterX posted:

If I'm supposed to be seeing character's Mystic Artes in this thing, they look depressingly weak.

I know, it's weird that I'm wishing for what's basically a cutscene to be LONGER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Rumor is it's getting a price drop to $200 by the end of the month.

It's already announced, I think it may have taken effect already in fact.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

wdarkk posted:

I know, it's weird that I'm wishing for what's basically a cutscene to be LONGER.

They look more like Burst Artes. Even in ToS2 were the Mystic Artes longer and with the illustrated cut-in, so I don't think they'd castrate them in ToG.

EDIT Check out the preorder bonus:

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 30, 2009

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Forgot to add: It seems the game is slated to come out December 10 in Japan, God knows when the rest of the world.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Those will probably not be the only Mystic Artes in the game, if Team Destiny's earlier Tales games are any indicator. The bar that triggers them seems to have seperate levels, since in gameplay footage, the freebie MA that you get shows a bar with 1 on it, so the super bar probably has multiple levels. There's no way TD would just have one MA per character.

edit:

Click here for the full 1056x1527 image.

Looks like you can fight as younger versions of the Graces characters. Also, one of the preorder bonuses is Vesperia costumes:

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 1, 2009

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I just picked up Abyss used. Does anyone have beginner tips for that game? I'm going to try to stay away from gamefaqs.

edit: The most recent Tales game I've played was Eternia, on PS1, years ago.. so I'm a little out of practice with the conventions of the franchise.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 11, 2009

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I just picked up Abyss used. Does anyone have beginner tips for that game? I'm going to try to stay away from gamefaqs.

edit: The most recent Tales game I've played was Eternia, on PS1, years ago.. so I'm a little out of practice with the conventions of the franchise.

Free Run, Free Run, Free Run. If you don't exploit the whole area, you're going to get your rear end kicked.

Capacity Cores add +X to stats when you level, but you also get AD skills depending on how much + you have in your stats (i.e. Combo Plus is +50 P.ATK, etc.). These values are the same between all characters, but some of them can't get certain skills for obvious reasons.

Overlimit is pretty useless until you get Mystic Artes, unlike in Vesperia.

Guy can take Luke's hand-me-downs, so you can save money on equipment for him.

Everyone's best weapons are from winning in the Colosseum, and it's easy to hit and run with Luke and Guy so you can get their's as soon as it opens.

You can abuse the Trade system to get items for new weapons that can last you until the Colosseum in the desert. Check out a FAQ for this because the system is a little complicated.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Holy crap is that one guy wielding a double-bladed polearm that turns into dual pistols?

I didn't think they could top Yeager's scythe-shotgun but here we are.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Yes. Oh yes. Bonus gif:

And have the boxart for Graces:

And to finish off, a post explaining how the new Style Shift mechanics actually work; it's probably the most experimental a Tales game has gotten.

quote:

Looks like the Artes for the A button are a graduated or tiered system of Artes that can be strung together to access more or different Artes.

Let's go ahead and take an example using English named Artes.

So on Neutral A we'll have: Demon Fang -> Azure Edge -> Azure Storm -> Dragon Swarm.

So we press A once and we get Demon Fang. We press A again and we'll now get Azure Edge. Press A a third time and we link to Azure Storm and on the fourth press of A we get Dragon Swarm.

So our combo will start with Demon Fang then Azure Edge then Azure Storm and finish off with Dragon Swarm. Make sense?

So let's say we start off with Demon Fang, but don't want to combo to Azure Edge, we can then press Up A and link to Sonic Thrust, then press Neutral A and get Azure Storm and press Neutral A once more and get Dragon Swarm.

So our new combo looks like Demon Fang -> Sonic Thrust -> Azure Storm -> Dragon Swarm.

For each Arte we link, we increase the CC cost by 1. So the first combo is 1+2+3+4 = 10 CC. The second combo also equals 10 CC.

So what if we want to link 2 Artes from the same tier? That's a little trickier, but it looks like by the time you get to the third tier you can swing back and forth between tier 2 (CC 2) and tier 3 (CC 3) Artes just by using any of the directional Artes except neutral.

In otherwords, Tier 3 Up A, Left A, Down A, Right A will send you back to Tier 2. Tier 2 Neutral A, Up A, Left A, Down A, Right A will send you back to Tier 3. You can do this infinite number of times with two stipulations:

1) You don't run out of CC.
2) You don't combo to Tier 3 Neutral A.

Asbel's artes in the demo were:

CC1     CC2        CC3    CC4
N Shunka┳ Setsuga ┳ Soushou ┳Souha
↑↓       ┣ Senshinkyaku╋ Retsushinkohou ┫
←       ┣ Houyokushou ╋ Senrouga ┫
→       ┗ Suieijin ┻ Saijinreiga ┛

Thanks to someone on the Tales board who posted all that. One final thing, DLC is confirmed for Graces and they seem to be following the Vesperia example by having things like stat boosts available as DLC. I think you can buy a boost to CC through DLC at least. And here's the 5th trailer from TGS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FULsLr1Z8JQ

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 11, 2009

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

SpazmasterX posted:

Free Run, Free Run, Free Run. If you don't exploit the whole area, you're going to get your rear end kicked.

Against bosses or on higher difficulty levels it certainly helps, yeah, but you don't need to abuse Free Run against regular encounters unless you really want to.

Really, if you're just playing through the game for the first time on normal difficulty there's no need to worry about the advanced stuff. Just play through the game at your own pace, listen to the tutorials, enjoy the story, laugh at Luke's jerkassitude and remember to switch tactics or maybe do a little leveling if a certain boss is kicking your rear end (chances are at least one will, sooner or later).

Sidequesting, minigames, snazzy clothes and making the meanest loving party to ever beat the bonus boss on Unknown... Well, that's what the grade store and subsequent playthroughs are for.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
edit: False alarm, Project K is almost certainly going to be Tales of Keroro Quest DS.

Also, for those who feared that Mystic Artes will be casturated in Graces, never fear, Asbel at least has been confirmed to get at least two MAs, or Blast Caliburs as I think they're referred to here. The first one we've already seen, and the second has so far only been seen in a still, complete with a second cut-in.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 7, 2009

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally got Tales of Vesperia PS3 delivered. I've never played it on the 360, so I can't really compare, but it sure seems like an AAA Tales game so far. It still has niggling problems that Abyss did concerning 3D movement, the delay after leaving free run before you can do anything drives me a little crazy, and sometimes my attack strings end up pointing in the wrong direction, making me look like an idiot and/or get my rear end killed.

Anyway it is reminding me of how much I love Tales games, and making me excited about Tales of Graces again, even though my Wii has been collecting dust in my closet for months now.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally got Tales of Vesperia PS3 delivered. I've never played it on the 360, so I can't really compare, but it sure seems like an AAA Tales game so far. It still has niggling problems that Abyss did concerning 3D movement, the delay after leaving free run before you can do anything drives me a little crazy, and sometimes my attack strings end up pointing in the wrong direction, making me look like an idiot and/or get my rear end killed.

Anyway it is reminding me of how much I love Tales games, and making me excited about Tales of Graces again, even though my Wii has been collecting dust in my closet for months now.

Did you play the Vesperia PS3 demo off the Japanese PSN? Is that annoying pre-combat lag still there?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Eddain posted:

Did you play the Vesperia PS3 demo off the Japanese PSN? Is that annoying pre-combat lag still there?

I've watched several streams of the full game, and it's not there anymore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mill Village posted:

I've watched several streams of the full game, and it's not there anymore.
Yeah, I didn't notice anything strange, other than Yuri flipping his sword around after his four hit combo, to punish you for not finishing with a special move I assume.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice anything strange, other than Yuri flipping his sword around after his four hit combo, to punish you for not finishing with a special move I assume.

That's always been there.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
There hasn't been much on Graces recently, apart from the new skit system, of which the major differences are full-body portraits being used instead of head portraits, and cut-ins being used to spice up some of them. here's a picture of the Japan-only bundle and 4Gamer has a handful of new screenshots, mostly of the skits.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Those skits look like the ones in Legendia and Rebirth to me. I think in general, they follow Inomata-designed games while the face portraits follow Fujishima games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 8, 2009

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So I have a question for you or anyone else. When I play Japanese games, I pretty much depend on being able to slow the dialogue to a halt whenever I want. My reading is a gently caress of a lot stronger than my listening, but I also tend to translate extremely slowly. I'm thinking of importing this instead of buying the localized 360 version, both because I'm a stickler for playing the maximum-content version of any game I play and because my Japanese has been rusting like crazy lately and I could use the practice. Is it possible to play this game if I have to stop to translate each text box? Will the dialogue ever auto-scroll or anything like that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

BurningCourage posted:

There hasn't been much on Graces recently, apart from the new skit system, of which the major differences are full-body portraits being used instead of head portraits, and cut-ins being used to spice up some of them. here's a picture of the Japan-only bundle and 4Gamer has a handful of new screenshots, mostly of the skits.
Richard keeps looking completely sinister

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CloseFriend posted:

So I have a question for you or anyone else. When I play Japanese games, I pretty much depend on being able to slow the dialogue to a halt whenever I want. My reading is a gently caress of a lot stronger than my listening, but I also tend to translate extremely slowly. I'm thinking of importing this instead of buying the localized 360 version, both because I'm a stickler for playing the maximum-content version of any game I play and because my Japanese has been rusting like crazy lately and I could use the practice. Is it possible to play this game if I have to stop to translate each text box? Will the dialogue ever auto-scroll or anything like that?
Skits auto-scroll, but I guess you could hit start during them to pause and read slowly. Nothing else auto-scrolls as far as I know.

edit: the fact that you are translating is your biggest problem though. Keep practicing and someday you'll suddenly realize that you don't have to do that anymore.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Skits auto-scroll, but I guess you could hit start during them to pause and read slowly. Nothing else auto-scrolls as far as I know.

edit: the fact that you are translating is your biggest problem though. Keep practicing and someday you'll suddenly realize that you don't have to do that anymore.
Yeah, I know, which just frustrates me even more because I also know I'm not there yet. :argh:

Welp, I'm going for it. I need the practice. I think I'll try this one without writing anything down just to see if I can reach the point that you mentioned. Thanks for the info!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I often think about what would be the ideal first games to play in Japanese. For me it was Shenmue 1, followed closely by Sakura Taisen 3. Shenmue was great, but ST3 was a workout because you have a timer to answer, so I guess I wouldn't recommend that. I'd say a Tales game would have good and bad points in that respect, on the one hand, it uses a lot of specialized RPG and other language, including a bunch of language made just for the game (blastia core, etc), but on the other hand, normal dialog wouldn't be very tricky.

One thing I've NEVER done is played a Tales game in English. I have watched a few videos, but there's still a whole bunch of stuff that I can't imagine how they handled for translation.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Fairly well, usually.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

BurningCourage posted:

edit: False alarm, Project K is almost certainly going to be Tales of Keroro Quest DS.

Also, for those who feared that Mystic Artes will be casturated in Graces, never fear, Asbel at least has been confirmed to get at least two MAs, or Blast Caliburs as I think they're referred to here. The first one we've already seen, and the second has so far only been seen in a still, complete with a second cut-in.

I imagine that we'd get a similar amount as Destiny remake for Blast Caliburs. They tend to be really short for the first few in Destiny, and the clip of Asbel's first one was really short... so I would guess we're getting 2-3 per character like Destiny.

So the CC system has tiers now? Hopefully we'll be able to go between each tier freely by end game. I think this is a good way to keep the CC system evolving throughout the game, in Destiny it didn't change aside from getting more CC and different artes to use.

And yay, costumes in a Team Destiny game. Hopefully those Vesperia ones can be obtained in-game...but judging from the new trend of DLC Namco pushes out for Tales of games...maybe not. :(

wdarkk posted:

Team Destiny's Mystic Artes were always quick and flashy, and they tend to flow much better with the game's battle system. (See: Destiny 2, Destiny remake. Rebirth's was the only ones that were long since they were finishers) They get longer as the level goes higher. Destiny's Lv3 BCs were pretty lengthy compared to their Lv1 and Lv2 counterparts.
I also personally enjoy that they don't pause the Mystic Arte at its climax with a picture like the Team Symphonia games. I just kinda dislike how they're becoming more like cutscenes in the non-Team Destiny games, especially in stuff like Vesperia 360 where they're absurdly lengthy for something that doesn't even do too much damage compared to just spamming artes in Overlimit.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Do you remember that Tales of LMBS logo posted earlier in the thread? Well, Namco are finally using it. Its purpose seems to be a trademark logo for the LMBS mechanics used in Tales games, and the first game to use it is a Keroro Gunso RPG made by Tales Studio. It's intended to introduce kids to the LMBS, so don't expect anything especially complex. Scans of it can be found floating around on the internet.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/11/keroro_rpg_detailed/

edit: Veigue from Tales of Rebirth is appearing in Tales of Graces as a cameo boss fight as per series tradition. He's had a cut-in shown too.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 13, 2009

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Ha ha, Raven is a reverse Batman, he keeps suddenly showing up when my characters turn around.

Also, ToV rules, and Estelle looks quite film noir-ish in her wide brimmed hat.

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I often think about what would be the ideal first games to play in Japanese. For me it was Shenmue 1, followed closely by Sakura Taisen 3. Shenmue was great, but ST3 was a workout because you have a timer to answer, so I guess I wouldn't recommend that. I'd say a Tales game would have good and bad points in that respect, on the one hand, it uses a lot of specialized RPG and other language, including a bunch of language made just for the game (blastia core, etc), but on the other hand, normal dialog wouldn't be very tricky.

One thing I've NEVER done is played a Tales game in English. I have watched a few videos, but there's still a whole bunch of stuff that I can't imagine how they handled for translation.

Tales of Eternia was the only translated game to have voiced skits. They were removed from Destiny entirely, and were dead silent and awkward from Symphonia onwards.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Vesperia has voiced skits. And what Eternia has doesn't really count as skits.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

secretplot posted:

Tales of Eternia was the only translated game to have voiced skits. They were removed from Destiny entirely, and were dead silent and awkward from Symphonia onwards.

Legendia had voiced skits the entire game, even with the bizarre goof where the second half of it didn't have any voiced storyline.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007

BurningCourage posted:

Well, Vesperia 360 sold 0.17m in Japan and 0.18m in America, whereas Symphonia 2 did a total of 0.22m in Japan and 0.17m in America. I'm going off of VGChartz here.

I know vesperia has more sold now with the ps3 release and whatnot, but assuming they didn't have that release would they have made a profit with only ~400k copies sold? Considering the costs of development for most games this gen are in the millions, it seems they have to be barely scraping by.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Lavastine posted:

I know vesperia has more sold now with the ps3 release and whatnot, but assuming they didn't have that release would they have made a profit with only ~400k copies sold? Considering the costs of development for most games this gen are in the millions, it seems they have to be barely scraping by.

I don't want to live in a world where Symphonia 2 outsells ToV. For the love of christ!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BurningCourage posted:

Do you remember that Tales of LMBS logo posted earlier in the thread? Well, Namco are finally using it. Its purpose seems to be a trademark logo for the LMBS mechanics used in Tales games, and the first game to use it is a Keroro Gunso RPG made by Tales Studio. It's intended to introduce kids to the LMBS, so don't expect anything especially complex. Scans of it can be found floating around on the internet.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/11/keroro_rpg_detailed/

edit: Veigue from Tales of Rebirth is appearing in Tales of Graces as a cameo boss fight as per series tradition. He's had a cut-in shown too.

Putting money down that Keroro RPG gets released over in the US as "Tales of Keroro" or similar and has an extremely loose translation to fit Funimation's work on it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Argh, Abyss is really pissing me off right now. Mostly the "guide dang it" moments. Unless I immediately talk to a random bystander between when I enter the city and when I do what we came here to do, I lose out on a sidequest for an awesome item? YAY!

Also load times :argh:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I used that guide for Abyss that had all the sidequests clearly laid out through it and I'm glad I did because good god are they obscure and almost all of them have 5+ parts that you have to do.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

wdarkk posted:

Argh, Abyss is really pissing me off right now. Mostly the "guide dang it" moments. Unless I immediately talk to a random bystander between when I enter the city and when I do what we came here to do, I lose out on a sidequest for an awesome item? YAY!

Also load times :argh:

Wow, I must have missed a lot more stuff than I thought. I just sort of played through the game and didn't bother with the sidequests.

I'll agree with you on the loading times.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Xythar posted:

I used that guide for Abyss that had all the sidequests clearly laid out through it and I'm glad I did because good god are they obscure and almost all of them have 5+ parts that you have to do.

Was this an online or paper guide? Because drat I could use one for a second playthrough.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Was this an online or paper guide? Because drat I could use one for a second playthrough.

Online. It was this one I think: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/929343/40529

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I was going to say that the official guide isn't too bad for that purpose, but holy crap the cheapest price for it on Amazon is $50 used. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Xythar posted:

Online. It was this one I think: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/929343/40529

Argh it's using a different romanization and/or literal translations. Oh well.