Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Jam2 posted:

How do I edit the iso to install Professional without paying for a magiciso or ultraiso license?

If you have the contents of the iso copied/extracted somewhere you can create a new ISO using ImgBurn.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=11194

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Winrar can open ISOs.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I've got an X300 on this machine too so it looks like I'll take the plunge.

There were two laptops here. I was trying to decide which I was going to use, and which my wife was going to use.

One had a Core 2 Duo at 1.73 GHz, 2 Gigs DDR2, a 15" screen, and Intel 945 video.
The other had a Pentium M at 2.0 GHz, 2 Gigs DDR2, a 14" screen, and Radeon Mobility X300 video.

I was first thinking that I would use the one with the faster Core 2 Duo, but the one with the X300 was able to play Left 4 Dead and other games, while the one with the Intel chipset was not. The one with the Intel chipset does a better job of playing 1080i though.

The X300 is capable enough for Aero and even some light games (at low resolutions).

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you able to runs Hulu videos at full screen on yours? My machine chokes on them like a $2 whore.

It eats 100% CPU, but they work. Mostly smooth. Commercials jump and skip around.

Setting Quality to "Low" (Flash quality, not Hulu) drops CPU usage to just 60%-80%, which helps a bit without making the video look bad.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

AlexDeGruven posted:

No. You just have to have the old OS installed before you can use an upgrade key. If you're going from x86 to x64, it's a clean install, anyway. The 'Upgrade' language actually refers to the license. You can do an in-place upgrade of an existing Vista install using a full-retail key.

There's a semantics problem that's been running through this thread that I thought I should point out.

When Microsoft is talking about an upgrade key. They're talking solely about the license. The way they verify this license is by having an installed and activated eligible version of Windows on the target machine. The type of install depends on what's installed, not the license.

I'm planning to build a new system, and I have a copy of Vista Ultimate I'm using currently. So if I buy an upgrade key, I would install Vista on the new system first, activate it, then I could do a clean install of 7? Seems like an annoyance to have to do the Vista install just so I can immediately install over it, but if it's just a one-time deal maybe it's not so bad.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I have an old P4 desktop (3GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia 6800XT Video Card) that I use as my "work" machine. I upgraded to Windows 7 a couple of weeks ago and now it seems to have trouble playing flash videos. HQ Youtube videos skip and Hulu gets all jumpy as well. All drivers are up to date, as is Flash and related software. These sites played fine on XP, so what could be the problem? Is Win7 just that little bit more resource needy that it affects me in this way?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Is there any tool that works with Win7 x64 to show the temp of my Radeon 4800 series? (ATITool seems the obvious answer, but the driver isn't signed so it won't work on x64)

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

syphon posted:

Is there any tool that works with Win7 x64 to show the temp of my Radeon 4800 series? (ATITool seems the obvious answer, but the driver isn't signed so it won't work on x64)

The catalyst software shows temp, doesn't it?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nibble posted:

I'm planning to build a new system, and I have a copy of Vista Ultimate I'm using currently. So if I buy an upgrade key, I would install Vista on the new system first, activate it, then I could do a clean install of 7? Seems like an annoyance to have to do the Vista install just so I can immediately install over it, but if it's just a one-time deal maybe it's not so bad.

Yep, that's the way it seems to be slated to go. Few people know for 100% sure, since the upgrade licenses are only coming out through the retail channels on the 22nd, but that seems to be the general consensus.

The easiest thing to do is just do your Vista install, activate it, do your Win7 install, activate it, then ghost it somewhere for easy retrieval if needed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

It eats 100% CPU, but they work. Mostly smooth. Commercials jump and skip around.

Setting Quality to "Low" (Flash quality, not Hulu) drops CPU usage to just 60%-80%, which helps a bit without making the video look bad.
gently caress, no dice on my side :(. I do have Aero Glass on but I can't imagine it'd make a huge difference.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

gently caress, no dice on my side :(. I do have Aero Glass on but I can't imagine it'd make a huge difference.

Aero does eat up a ton of GPU power, but Flash doesn't use any of your video card's power. It's all CPU-based. Performance should be the same (or even worse) with Aero off.

On the other hand, HDTV would work better for me with Aero disabled, as the X300 will struggle trying to decode that while doing 3D.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I noticed my laptop can't play DVDs anymore since I have had Windows 7 on it... I am still rolling the 7100 build out of laziness, but I would like DVDs to work. They slow down and the sound gets messed up whenever I try to watch them.

Specs:
Core2Duo T5200
Nvidia 8600gt mobile version thing
2GB ram

Does anyone know what is going on? It happens in WMP, WMC, MPC and VLC.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
Here is something dumb Windows 7 is doing, It is randomingly running WinSAT (with is the system Assessment Tool) and it kills areo is there a way to turn this off so it doesn't do this anymore?

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Dbhjed posted:

Here is something dumb Windows 7 is doing, It is randomingly running WinSAT (with is the system Assessment Tool) and it kills areo is there a way to turn this off so it doesn't do this anymore?

Came here to post this, but figured it out on the way: you can turn it off in Task Scheduler, it's under Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance. I have yet to see if this will stop it from happening, but the internet says it works, and who am I to question it? I guess I'll find out next Sunday at 1:00 AM.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Cheesus posted:

It looks like Microsoft got rid of the off-line calendar program that was included with Vista. Is there a way to get it back?

http://download.live.com/

WLM has mail/calendar in one app

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

Aero does eat up a ton of GPU power, but Flash doesn't use any of your video card's power. It's all CPU-based. Performance should be the same (or even worse) with Aero off.

On the other hand, HDTV would work better for me with Aero disabled, as the X300 will struggle trying to decode that while doing 3D.
I figured out why my laptop couldn't do full screen Hulu and was slow in general. It's an old machine and there's something broken in the power system where it won't clock up on its own so I have to use something like Notebook Hardware Control to manually set it at 2GHz.

Unfortunately, NHC doesn't seem to work in Vista even though it says it does, and RMClock didn't work either though that might be because I didn't use it correctly.

Does anyone know of any utilities that actually are able to set the CPU speed correctly? If not, I'll have to go back to XP.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone know of any utilities that actually are able to set the CPU speed correctly? If not, I'll have to go back to XP.

What a coincidence, I came in to ask about the same thing.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first ran Everest to see that my processor clocked itself up and down, I know it's nothing special but I hadn't seen it before.

Now, I was trying to encode something in handbrake, and it was making my machine run really hot and eventually it shut itself down.

So I went to power management and changed it so it could only run at 95% of maximum processor state, hoping it would fix the problem..

So I kept an eye on Everest to see what it would do, and now it seems that it's not running up at all. It's staying at 800mhz when it's a 1733mhz processor. I'm currently running some 720p video which is stuttering like gently caress, it's getting hot enough to run the fan at max speed, but the processor isn't speeding up.

I've changed all the power management settings back, and I'm also noticing that Windows is generally running pretty slow.

So this laptop used to change speeds fine, but as soon as I tried to change the setting, it's hosed out and sits at the slowest speed it can and won't move.. I don't know what to try..

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Stutes posted:

Windows 7 trip report:

My school bookstore started selling 7 Ultimate for only $6.95 this week. I picked up a copy of x64 today, and despite the media being clearly labeled "UPGRADE ONLY" I was able to use the key to activate my months-old RTM install. Hopefully this bodes well for everyone else trying to figure out what they can and can't do with their upgrade licenses.

How did you install the RTM? Was it an in-place upgrade or did you do a clean install?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Josh Lyman posted:

I figured out why my laptop couldn't do full screen Hulu and was slow in general. It's an old machine and there's something broken in the power system where it won't clock up on its own so I have to use something like Notebook Hardware Control to manually set it at 2GHz.

Unfortunately, NHC doesn't seem to work in Vista even though it says it does, and RMClock didn't work either though that might be because I didn't use it correctly.

Are you using 64-bit Vista? RMClock requires a signed driver or it won't load. A quick google should reveal something suitable. I use it to undervolt my laptop's CPU. Now it doesn't overheat when under load.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jam2 posted:

How do I edit the iso to install Professional without paying for a magiciso or ultraiso license?
extract the files, delete the file, install via thumb drive.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

echinopsis posted:

Now, I was trying to encode something in handbrake, and it was making my machine run really hot and eventually it shut itself down.

I'm currently running some 720p video which is stuttering like gently caress, it's getting hot enough to run the fan at max speed, but the processor isn't speeding up.
Sounds like your heatsink came loose or is severely plugged up with dust.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Swilo posted:

Sounds like your heatsink came loose or is severely plugged up with dust.

Well I noticed right from the word go when I installed W7 that it seemed to be running hotter, spending more time with the fan going nuts anyway..

But the real issue is why my processor isn't speeding up. I ran Prime95, got it as hot as it could go at 6x (800mhz) and it just doesn't speed up, it can go to 13x (1733mhz) but doesn't.. it's gay. and it used to.

I'm pretty sure touching the min/max speeds under power options was the cause of it stopping changing

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Your CPU should not be getting that hot at half speed, if it is then it will not allow itself to speed up for fear of melting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

200th Poster posted:

Are you using 64-bit Vista? RMClock requires a signed driver or it won't load. A quick google should reveal something suitable. I use it to undervolt my laptop's CPU. Now it doesn't overheat when under load.
Running 7x86 on this old Pentium M. Have you had success adjusting CPU speed? Are you running 32 or 64bit Win7?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Magnificent Quiver posted:

The catalyst software shows temp, doesn't it?
I can't get the Catalyst Control Center to install (the control software... the driver itself worked fine). I'm running Win7 RTM x64, and tried installing version 9.9 of the software... it successfully unpacks the software to C:\ATI, but can't run the CCC setup. I tried running as admin and compatibility mode and everything, but it won't work. The installer just fails to launch.

Looks like a few others have had this problem as well:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=113090
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-hardware/7091-ati-catalyst-wont-install.html

I don't suppose anyone has gotten CCC installed on Win7? (x64 specifically)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

syphon posted:

I can't get the Catalyst Control Center to install (the control software... the driver itself worked fine). I'm running Win7 RTM x64, and tried installing version 9.9 of the software... it successfully unpacks the software to C:\ATI, but can't run the CCC setup. I tried running as admin and compatibility mode and everything, but it won't work. The installer just fails to launch.

Looks like a few others have had this problem as well:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=113090
http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-hardware/7091-ati-catalyst-wont-install.html

The Vista 64 bit version works fine on 7100 for me.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

deviant. posted:

The Vista 64 bit version works fine on 7100 for me.
C:\ATI\Support\9-9_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu is what is failing to install for me.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

syphon posted:

I have CCC working fine on x64, the exact same one that you're trying to install. I prefer just using the driver as I really don't need anything more than that, but I had it running before and I just installed 9.9 again with no issues.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
While not x64, I've had CCC 9.3 installed on my ThinkPad T43, which has a Radeon Mobility X300, an unsupported chipset.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Huh. My computer must be haunted or something. :(

EDIT: To provide more info, I can start the installer just fine, but when I get to this screen...

... I click 'Install' and the program just vanishes. I see it sit in task manager for about 10 seconds before disapearing, and the EventLog has this in it:
code:
Faulting application name: InstallManagerApp.exe, version: 3.0.741.0, time stamp: 0x4a84bcd2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc015000f
Fault offset: 0x000000000006edda
Faulting process id: 0x6f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca4ac392f33312
Faulting application path: C:\ATI\Support\9-9_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Bin64\InstallManagerApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 190741b3-b6b7-11de-bda4-00241d8c317a

syphon fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 11, 2009

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I most likely won't be able to get Windows 7 on launch day because of my stupid budget(loving kitchen repairs). Will the RC tide me over for another month or so afterward until I get the funds for it? I use my system mainly for gaming and internet if that makes any difference. And will Home Premium 64-bit suffice or do I have to shell out another 100 bucks for Professional?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

spasticColon posted:

I most likely won't be able to get Windows 7 on launch day because of my stupid budget(loving kitchen repairs). Will the RC tide me over for another month or so afterward until I get the funds for it? I use my system mainly for gaming and internet if that makes any difference. And will Home Premium 64-bit suffice or do I have to shell out another 100 bucks for Professional?

The RC will work until next Feb or March, so using it now for another month or two will be just fine. I wouldn't go through the hassle of installing the RC now though unless you don't have anything else on it already it.

The main features that make Pro useful are domain connection, acting as a remote desktop server, and having XP mode. If you don't need any of these, then Home Premium will probably do you good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Swilo posted:

Your CPU should not be getting that hot at half speed, if it is then it will not allow itself to speed up for fear of melting.

No it's not getting that hot, around 62 (celcius) at half speed. It shut itself down when it was at 83 for a few minutes the other day, but that was back when it allowed itself to speed up and was at full speed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jam2 posted:

Virtual CloneDrive - http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

It's free, works in Vista and Win7, I highly recommend it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Josh Lyman posted:

Running 7x86 on this old Pentium M. Have you had success adjusting CPU speed? Are you running 32 or 64bit Win7?

64-bit 7. I can control the CPU speed as well as voltage. I have a core2duo.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

ilkhan posted:

extract the files, delete the file, install via thumb drive.

Did this. Thanks for the tip.

Aero Snap doesn't work on my dual monitor setup the way I would like. I can only snap windows to the extreme right and extreme left of my workspace. Attempts to snap windows to the right side of monitor 1 and left side of monitor 2 fail.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

echinopsis posted:

No it's not getting that hot, around 62 (celcius) at half speed. It shut itself down when it was at 83 for a few minutes the other day, but that was back when it allowed itself to speed up and was at full speed.

What processor is it? 62C is pretty high for processors these days. My E8400 overclocked to 3.6GHZ idles at 38, and maxes out around 55 (though this is with a nice Zalman heatsink). My A64 6000+ at 3.2GHZ was getting about 55+ but I don't think I mounted the heatsink right on that one. At half speed, any processor should NOT be at 62C.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Cojawfee posted:

What processor is it? 62C is pretty high for processors these days. My E8400 overclocked to 3.6GHZ idles at 38, and maxes out around 55 (though this is with a nice Zalman heatsink). My A64 6000+ at 3.2GHZ was getting about 55+ but I don't think I mounted the heatsink right on that one. At half speed, any processor should NOT be at 62C.

My processor operates between 60C-75C at 1332MHz. Dell XPS M1330 laptop, 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo. Under heavy load, it locks up and throttles down to 733MHz, rendering my laptop completely useless. Yay.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You may have to man up and go in there and apply new thermal paste.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

incoherent posted:

You may have to man up and go in there and apply new thermal paste.

What's the recommended brand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

kapinga posted:

The RC will work until next Feb or March, so using it now for another month or two will be just fine. I wouldn't go through the hassle of installing the RC now though unless you don't have anything else on it already it.

The main features that make Pro useful are domain connection, acting as a remote desktop server, and having XP mode. If you don't need any of these, then Home Premium will probably do you good.

I've been running it since it's release. I'm just worried my games will stop working because driver support might halt on the release candidate because it's a different build. I probably won't get the money together for it until after November or even December so I hope new driver releases still work with the RC.