Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

You can make pretty big jumps in value at the final highlight, but you HAVE to keep the edge highlight thin.
I never made that connection. Gradual highlights for every step except the final in which you can do a harsher one. Thanks for asking these questions, Pagan. I just learned something. :v:

[edit] This isn't gbs, but I like having a picture at the top of the page. Here's what I'm currently inspired by; I am only awaiting my paints to get here from thewarstore.com so I can start. I'm using PV's Chaplain tutorial for the black, red, gold, and steel on my guys. Thanks again, PV.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aranan posted:

I never made that connection. Gradual highlights for every step except the final in which you can do a harsher one. Thanks for asking these questions, Pagan. I just learned something. :v:

[edit] This isn't gbs, but I like having a picture at the top of the page. Here's what I'm currently inspired by; I am only awaiting my paints to get here from thewarstore.com so I can start. I'm using PV's Chaplain tutorial for the black, red, gold, and steel on my guys. Thanks again, PV.

Those Man-O-War look goddamn awesome. I really need to get some paints and try and paint some stuff.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The manowars are the best troop models in the entire PP range :swoon:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Pagan posted:

I'm glad you guys don't mind helping.

While I'm in the mood to practice . . . What other skills are important? PV, you said I was probably tackling blending too early.

I did try a small checkerboard pattern on my practice piece, and that came out alright. You mentioned thin lines; how thin is "thin" ? What else should I try?

Just what ever size you are comfortable with, then getting smaller and smaller until you can't do it neatly at that size.

I think it's been said like 100 times already, but paint thickness, the amount of paint on the brush and your ability to control how much paint gets on the surface all really matter to this sort of stuff.

Right now your paint looks thin enough but you have too much on your brush if it's pooling up. You could probably use your paint a bit thicker depending on what you are doing. When I do the checker exercise/game, I have my paint thinned only enough to have a good flow, but thick enough that I don't need to paint a line multiple times, for examples.

I'm not really sure that's that useful of an exercise, but it's distracting and fun.

PaintVagrant posted:

The manowars are the best troop models in the entire PP range :swoon:

Doomreavers disagree.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

!amicable posted:

Doomreavers disagree.
Ironfang Pikemen disagree.

Unsurprisingly, these awesome troop models are all Khador. Coincidence? I think not.

(I have no Doomreaver pictures :()

edit
vvvvv that clockwork mantis has a tophat. I'm in awe.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Awesome

Is that the new smog stuff :swoon:?

PaintVagrant posted:

The manowars are the best troop models in the entire PP range

The Retribution disagree :commissar:

Actually I quite like the Forgeguard.

Edit, these:

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 11, 2009

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
OK that dude on the horse is pretty sweet.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
FENRIS LOVES YOU THIIIIIIIS MUCH

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

No Pun Intended posted:

Is that the new smog stuff :swoon:?

The Retribution disagree :commissar:

Actually I quite like the Forgeguard.

Edit, these:

The dwarf troops are the reason why I am collecting a useless dwarf mercenary army. Highshields are also awesome.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fenris is a pretty model, no arguments there. The doomreavers arent big enough imo

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Newbie question time since I just finally picked up my first sm tactical squad box, what are these holes on the backpack for?

All other ones have either a vent hole thingy or a skull; my black templar upgrade pack has one with the chapter logo over it but there's no emblems or extra skulls on the tact squad sprues as far as I can tell. Any clues?

Morham
Jun 4, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Thank you for finding me a picture of my RPG groups Inquisitor for our Dark Heresy game :D

This thread is really cool, I'm going to have to get some pictures of my only figure I bought to uni with me, my warrior priest...now I just need a camera! And some paints and models, but hey, what's a student loan for! :dance:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Angryboot posted:

Newbie question time since I just finally picked up my first sm tactical squad box, what are these holes on the backpack for?

All other ones have either a vent hole thingy or a skull; my black templar upgrade pack has one with the chapter logo over it but there's no emblems or extra skulls on the tact squad sprues as far as I can tell. Any clues?

Those, you lucky lucky devil, are miscasts. They should either be flat there or have raised detail (skull or round vent). This isn't indicative of GW production quality by the way, in over a decade of buying stuff I've never seen miscasts that bad on a GW sprue.

Go to your local GW and ask for a replacement, or ring GW and describe them. You shouldn't have any problem either getting them exchanged (shop) or being sent a replacement sprue/box (phone).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Morham posted:

Thank you for finding me a picture of my RPG groups Inquisitor for our Dark Heresy game :D

This thread is really cool, I'm going to have to get some pictures of my only figure I bought to uni with me, my warrior priest...now I just need a camera! And some paints and models, but hey, what's a student loan for! :dance:

Welcome :)

Bear in mind those models are huge, 54mm scale I believe, which is about twice normal 40k model scale.

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
Yes I had a search for one and saw the price tag, was confused and then realised why...it's a very nice miniature though and I WILL buy it at some point!

A question: Has anyone every experienced a dulling affect when using Citadel "Purity Seal" varnish on citadel metallic paints (point in case, Boltgun metal)? My warrior priests armour was shiny before I varnished him and then it went all dull :( he's still one of my best painted miniatures, but it was kind of a shame.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Morham posted:

Yes I had a search for one and saw the price tag, was confused and then realised why...it's a very nice miniature though and I WILL buy it at some point!

A question: Has anyone every experienced a dulling affect when using Citadel "Purity Seal" varnish on citadel metallic paints (point in case, Boltgun metal)? My warrior priests armour was shiny before I varnished him and then it went all dull :( he's still one of my best painted miniatures, but it was kind of a shame.

Yes. I hate sealers, they make me sad.

I think the best solution is to hit it with some gloss after matte or matte after gloss, thin layers so they even out.

Even then it's meh. I have assumed i am doing something wrong.

It's also a huge problem with metalics. Gloss will probably solve that. Mine just always look washed out.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dont ever use GW varnish. Ever. Krylon matte is like 6 bux a can and doesnt gently caress up your models.

Also: gloss on top of that bad matte might spruce it up, then let that gloss dry a day and hit it up with matte (non GW)

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I was on a tear yesterday getting my Malifaux stuff assembed / based. The models look much better than the studio paint jobs suggest. I only have gap filling to do on two minis, and then they're ready to prime (white this time; going for a brighter tone than usual).

The Guild. These will have a desert / scrubland base theme.

The Outcasts / Mercs. Cork basing for rocky plains.

The Arcanists. Sculpey bases with an industrial feel.

I might even be able to get the wife to play an inaugural game with me tonight.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Those look dope :3

(dont use ramos for demos, run the other 2, they are easier to use for newbs)

I like what you did the with sculpey, was it the type you have to bake?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Yep, Sculpey III. First time using it. It still retains some springiness after baking.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Those, you lucky lucky devil, are miscasts. They should either be flat there or have raised detail (skull or round vent). This isn't indicative of GW production quality by the way, in over a decade of buying stuff I've never seen miscasts that bad on a GW sprue.

Go to your local GW and ask for a replacement, or ring GW and describe them. You shouldn't have any problem either getting them exchanged (shop) or being sent a replacement sprue/box (phone).

Heh, thanks for the info.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Morham posted:

All matte varnishes are going to really tone down the luster on metallic paint, regardless of brand.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

KingMob posted:

I was on a tear yesterday getting my Malifaux stuff assembed / based. The models look much better than the studio paint jobs suggest. I only have gap filling to do on two minis, and then they're ready to prime (white this time; going for a brighter tone than usual).

The Guild. These will have a desert / scrubland base theme.

The Outcasts / Mercs. Cork basing for rocky plains.

The Arcanists. Sculpey bases with an industrial feel.

I might even be able to get the wife to play an inaugural game with me tonight.

Cool. So I guess the minis don't come with the fantastic base inserts? I saw they sold them separately but I didn't know if they also came with the minis.

Our group has been thinking about Malifaux or Anima tactics as our next minis game. We've tried a bunch that didn't stick. Infinity (I got models for this but it died out before I got a chance to play) and Uncharted Seas (I didn't feel like painting boats so I didn't get in on this) were the last two unsuccessful games for our group. We still play a BloodBowl league every year or so and I would like to bring back Necromunda or Mordhiem. I liked Necromunda and we played it a lot back in the day.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

More commission stuff:

A bunch more angles in my thread

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
You can almost hear them festering. Great work on making them totally disgusting!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

KingMob posted:

Yep, Sculpey III. First time using it. It still retains some springiness after baking.

Try using Premo, sculpey's better brother. Less sticky when sculpting and sets up harder.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

More commission stuff:

A bunch more angles in my thread

Amazing work on this. Especially the bit of blue on the sightglass/scope things. Using the same blue again on the bug faced one really helps pull it all together as an army.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

GoodBee posted:

Cool. So I guess the minis don't come with the fantastic base inserts? I saw they sold them separately but I didn't know if they also came with the minis.

Only one of these guys came with a base. No idea why him in particular because he's not a master. I like the look of Wyrd's bases, but it was a lot cheaper (once I got used to the process) to make them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Wyrds base inserts are hideously expensive :\

From what ive seen, the best resin bases/inserts are from either MAS or dark age, but they are both pricey as hell too (MAS a littl cheaper than DA)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
PV how'd you do the red skin on the oblits

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

magenta+brown ink

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
The turquoise gems and eyes look really good and make the army cohesive. gently caress the haters.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

My homework project ended up looking like a modern art piece.

But, the stuff I practiced there did end up helping. Here's another attempt at blending, which I think looks much better than it did before.

With that said, this is a damned tedious process, and the thought of doing it on 15 knights is a bit . . . well, needless to say, I'm open to other ideas on how to make their armor look cool without using metallic paints. And gently caress it a paint job that looks great on a mini doesn't look much worse blown up on a computer screen at 300%

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thats a huge, huge improvement :)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Pagan posted:

With that said, this is a damned tedious process, and the thought of doing it on 15 knights is a bit . . . well, needless to say, I'm open to other ideas on how to make their armor look cool without using metallic paints. And gently caress it a paint job that looks great on a mini doesn't look much worse blown up on a computer screen at 300%

Dude, that is awesome.

I personally have tried to scale photos to miniatures, but they usually look worse for it. It's a bitch no matter what you do, using a flash will gently caress the way the colors look.

Anyway, despite the photo, the horse looks really good. I think you could pull it off as lacquered armor on the knights, it would be pretty sweet. The more you do it, the faster you will be able to work. On the other hand, you could just go for some simple armor using metalics and thin layers of color to spruce it up.

I'll try to dig up a tutorial of what I mean, it's definitely a cool option.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Won a local painting contest with this lil guy. It wasn't super competitive but I'm happy enough with him.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Actually this hole is really common, I'd say about half the marines I've bought had a sprue like this. I never bothered trying to get them replaced since I had extras. Let me know if you do get replacements, RJS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My tank is shite !

To accompany my Plague Marines I need an Apocalypse unit, so a fat tank is in order.

My plan at the moment is to glue 60mm bases on either side and then use bits of sprue to create a frame for the vats. Coming down to about level with the bottom of the sponsons. Then I'll clad them with plasticard.
I intend to use the upside down base as a pool to fill with water effect stuff and Nurglings.. The rims for the peg holes will probably become bubbles.

I'm going to use a couple of spare Defiler CCW flail things to create piping to run out from the turret to about midway down the barrel of the main gun. I don't intend to give it the full peniscannon, but that might change.
I put the coaxial gun on before I decided to make it into a poo wagon, as the Reaper doesn't have one I'll try to make it look like it's knackered.

Other than that, I need to deface the various aquila, and the mechanicus shrines. Maybe use a pinvice to pit the armour. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a hole somewhere on the hull to make it look like the Baneblade was knocked out, captured, and recommisioned.
And of course, it'll have a Plague Marine in the commander's hatch.

For painting I'm going to do it much like the rhino I posted in gibbis a few days ago, catachan highlighted with camo, washed heavily with Devlan and then more rust than in a nun's nethers. And smoke/soot staining around the hatches from when it was knocked out.

I'd welcome any suggestions and feedback.

• Locked thread