Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Casao posted:

Vertical taskbar in between two monitors? You've done bad and you should FEEL bad.
And yet I love having it there. Fast to access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 5, 2023

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Footboy posted:

So, is the RTM only for clean installs or would it remember that I had XP installed if I upgraded to 7? I'd love to get 7 up and running without having to wait for my Home Premium Upgrade license, but not if it means I'll have to wipe, reinstall XP, wipe again, and reinstall 7 in 10 days.

We don't know.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Footboy posted:

So, is the RTM only for clean installs or would it remember that I had XP installed if I upgraded to 7? I'd love to get 7 up and running without having to wait for my Home Premium Upgrade license, but not if it means I'll have to wipe, reinstall XP, wipe again, and reinstall 7 in 10 days.

The only possible install going from XP is a clean install, you can use an upgrade license for that tho.

Right now I know that you can do an upgrade clean install from XP using the RTM and a non-upgrade license.

But you all need to realize that you should stop saying RTM, RTM is the retail release, not a special version. We don't have an retail upgrade disc to look at yet so we don't know how that will work.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

fishmech posted:

The only possible install going from XP is a clean install, you can use an upgrade license for that tho.

Right now I know that you can do an upgrade clean install from XP using the RTM and a non-upgrade license.

But you all need to realize that you should stop saying RTM, RTM is the retail release, not a special version. We don't have an retail upgrade disc to look at yet so we don't know how that will work.

To be fair, it's still technically the RTM until it goes to the public. It's not available for Joe User until 10/22, which is when it will be the retail release.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AlexDeGruven posted:

To be fair, it's still technically the RTM until it goes to the public. It's not available for Joe User until 10/22, which is when it will be the retail release.

Yeah, but it's the exact same bits, and I've seen a couple of people getting confused and think here's a difference from the RTM and the retail version.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

revolther posted:

Sure sounds like you're running WinCal.exe all the time.
No, I'm launching its reminder automatically so I don't need to keep it, WLM, or Outlook open all of the time. I've made it work like it did in Vista.

Really I'm just frustrated that they didn't leave the Calendar as a stand-alone application. I think Microsoft does a really good job with backward compatability and while all of the Live apps seem to do what their Vista counterparts did, the Calendar functionality is definitely not.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fishmech posted:

Yeah, but it's the exact same bits, and I've seen a couple of people getting confused and think here's a difference from the RTM and the retail version.

RTM is shorter :colbert:

Yeah, it can be confusing and it might be better to say retail, but in a month or so, we can just drop any of that and people still running RC can specify.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Odd question: are the license keys completely separate now for 32 and 64 bit versions? I picked up 7 from my university today and they'd only sell me one of each version, but I'd like to install the 32 bit key with the 64 bit installer.

I know I used my 32 bit key on a 64 bit installer with Vista and it worked fine, but it looks like 7 has started using discrete keys for each: anyone know for sure before I botch a Vista-->7 upgrade?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I think you can use 32 bid keys on 64 bit and vice versa.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ZobarStyl posted:

Odd question: are the license keys completely separate now for 32 and 64 bit versions?

Nope. What I think your college is doing is trying to make sure the students only buy one copy. They probably reason that if you can only buy one of each you wouldn't buy both.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I'm running into some horrible freezing issues on the 32bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate, which are causing the computer to temporarily freeze anywhere between a couple of seconds to a few minutes - it's possible to move the mouse but nothing else seems to respond during this time.

The problem to me seems to be the hard-drive is getting a real thrashing, but i can't see anything running that would be causing it. Anyone else running into something like this? or is my HDD on the way out.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Supernorn posted:

The problem to me seems to be the hard-drive is getting a real thrashing, but i can't see anything running that would be causing it. Anyone else running into something like this? or is my HDD on the way out.
Try running CHKDSK and do a full scan, you may have some bad sectors.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Supernorn posted:

I'm running into some horrible freezing issues on the 32bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate, which are causing the computer to temporarily freeze anywhere between a couple of seconds to a few minutes - it's possible to move the mouse but nothing else seems to respond during this time.

I had more than a few delays with my hard drives turning off from inactivity, disable that in power supply and see if it helps.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

I had more than a few delays with my hard drives turning off from inactivity, disable that in power supply and see if it helps.

Grr, I hate this being on by default. My games and such are on a separate hard drive from the Windows install, and before I found this Windows kept putting it to sleep, only for it to take forever to do anything whenever I tried to play any games because it had to wake up, and it didn't seem to be a morning hard drive.

I thought it was dying, so I unplugged it and considered it a near-brick until I found out about this and turned it off. Now it works just fine.

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

Captain Novolin posted:

I think you can use 32 bid keys on 64 bit and vice versa.

Yes you can, keys are version specific not bit level specific.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
edit: disregard, I'm an idiot. I just found the regional settings and everything was set to English - UK.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 13, 2009

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

two_beer_bishes posted:

I have no idea what I did to my install but it seems that the "shift-2" and "shift-' " keys are switched. It makes typing in an email address tough since it should be @ and not "... please someone help me :(
You chose the wrong region on your install? US-Keyboard differs from Euro etc

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Casao posted:

You are the best. I upgraded to 7 two days ago and I seriously thought my media drive was dying. It turned out to be this silly default setting.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech posted:

Let's just call it the SP0 release and be done with it

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Maybe this was possible in Vista, but I'm asking anyway: is there a way to elevate your Command Prompt privileges while already in a prompt window, like sudo in Linux?

I'm doing build/installer development at work, and it's a pain to go to the start menu, type CMD, right click the search result/shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator", because then I have to browse from the new Admin prompt to the directory I want to work with. Instead, I'd prefer if I could shift+right click the target directory, choose "Open a command prompt here", and then elevate myself from within there so that my batch files can modify protected directories as necessary.

In theory I will only have to do this once any time our build services exports update, but it will get annoying enough while I"m still in the learning process that I'll want in-prompt elevation if possible.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SpelledBackwards posted:

Maybe this was possible in Vista, but I'm asking anyway: is there a way to elevate your Command Prompt privileges while already in a prompt window, like sudo in Linux?

I'm doing build/installer development at work, and it's a pain to go to the start menu, type CMD, right click the search result/shortcut and choose "Run as Administrator", because then I have to browse from the new Admin prompt to the directory I want to work with. Instead, I'd prefer if I could shift+right click the target directory, choose "Open a command prompt here", and then elevate myself from within there so that my batch files can modify protected directories as necessary.

In theory I will only have to do this once any time our build services exports update, but it will get annoying enough while I"m still in the learning process that I'll want in-prompt elevation if possible.

If you use start menu search, ctrl+shift+enter launches anything in admin mode. So does Ctrl+Shift+clicking a shortcut in the taskbar, probably on desktop too. It's not quite what you asked for, but it's an option.

Start++ added a sudo command for Vista, I'm not sure if it works in 7/works for individual commands, lemme get back to you on that in a few...

Edit: Nope, doesn't work for individual commands or anything that doesn't work directly out of the Run box. Sorry.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 13, 2009

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Closest thing I can think of would be pinning a powershell shortcut to the taskbar with the directory selected in "start in" and "run as admin" selected.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

I Dig Gardening posted:

I think Windows 7 64 just bricked my brand new computer..

Bought a new PC that had vista on it, immediately upgraded to 7/64. Has NEVER been connected to the internet, I ONLY use it to produce/write music. Some of my software has acted a little funky/random crashes, but nothing huge and it's been fine.

About 5 hours ago I shut down the computer for a routine restart. When I started it back up, I got nothing but a blinking cursor in the top left. That's it, out of nowhere.

Googling a bit I found that it might be a BIOS problem. Specifically because the BIOS on my motherboard had an issue that was solved with the latest release of it that was titled something along the lines of "computer hangups when using Sony SDHC 4gb memory cards". I just got a 4GB flash card three days ago but everythings been fine with it, and it isn't Sony and it isn't HC, it's pretty old. And I'd imagine that would mean crashes and such, but this? I dunno.

I can't upgrade the BIOS anyhow, because the loving thing only comes as an .exe and I have no way of accessing it without my OS. I tried Windows 7 as a boot disk but the .exe said my computer wasn't compatible for the upgrade! Even though the BIOS was MADE for my computer.

Edit: Well, just installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 (32-Bit) over my old version and nothing changed. Thinking of installing a BIOS for a different motherboard just to give it a go. My motherboard is an MSI MS-7548, a motherboard MSI only made for HP and the BIOS is not listed on their site. Thinking of trying the MSI K9A2GM-FD / FIH / FIH-S motherboard BIOS on mine because that one seems to be the closest specs to mine, if not exact? Not sure on that as I'm only semi-good with these things. I'm about ready to punch some drywall at the moment though, as I need to get back to work ASAP and this poo poo is killing me.

I guarantee that you installed Win7 while your SD card was inserted. The MBR attached itself to the card (more or less) and after removing it, you couldn't boot. The same thing happened to me with an old IDE hard drive when I installed Win7 on my PC. If I inserted the install DVD each time I booted, it would work.

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004
Question: Does anyone know how to change the location that your "favorites" shortcuts are saved in? Not internet shortcuts, but the shortcuts you can add to your explorer window's left column above your libraries. It's really annoying that it is storing the shortcuts on one of my drive's /.'s. I'm guessing you can change it in the registry...but there has to be a less intrusive way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jew$ posted:

Question: Does anyone know how to change the location that your "favorites" shortcuts are saved in? Not internet shortcuts, but the shortcuts you can add to your explorer window's left column above your libraries. It's really annoying that it is storing the shortcuts on one of my drive's /.'s. I'm guessing you can change it in the registry...but there has to be a less intrusive way.

Uh what? The favorites are stored in Users/*USERNAME*/Links

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

DarkPrime posted:

I guarantee that you installed Win7 while your SD card was inserted. The MBR attached itself to the card (more or less) and after removing it, you couldn't boot. The same thing happened to me with an old IDE hard drive when I installed Win7 on my PC. If I inserted the install DVD each time I booted, it would work.

Hey cool, this was my problem last night. Installed 7 over the wknd and last night I took out the DVD and rebooted. Couldn't find a boot record or whatever it said exactly. Popped in the DVD and it booted just fine. Will do this tonight:

[quote="I Dig Gardening"}
Running bootrec.exe at the command prompt and using /fixmbr and /fixboot fixed it! YAAAY! Thank you everyone, you guys are great!
[/quote]

Also, somewhere in this megathread is there a suggestion on Codec packs or a better way to deal with that to make everything playable? Coming up from XP and Vista, I've got a bunch of videos in a bunch of formats

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Cuddly Coach posted:

Also, somewhere in this megathread is there a suggestion on Codec packs or a better way to deal with that to make everything playable? Coming up from XP and Vista, I've got a bunch of videos in a bunch of formats

I've been using Shark007's Windows 7 Codec Pack. It is hands down the best there is.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JoeCitizen posted:

I've been using Shark007's Windows 7 Codec Pack. It is hands down the best there is.

I'm using it too, it's ok, simple no thought required. Wouldn't call it the best, but it's easy and there's no real issues. Did let me play MKV files in Media Center, which CCCP didn't (64bit system).

Speaking of MKVs in Media Center, does anyone know why streaming an HD MKV across a wired network to my 360 would end up with it being a blocky, pixelated mess? It's 100mbit and it has played everything fine up until now, but trying that, it comes out looking like absolute crap.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

^^ Ok cool, Shark was the pack that kept coming up in searches. Also that's neato about the MKV in media center, I know that was one type I couldn't get working in vista MC

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Has anyone else experienced issues with Windows 7 and onboard eSata ports using a JMicron storage controller (jmb36x)?

There's been a pretty constant stream of new drivers showing up at
ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/ but none have fixed my issue. I have a WD external drive with esata/usb/firewire hookups and when connected via eSata the drive disconnects when coming back from sleep. Nothing will bring it back besides power cycling the unit. It worked great in Vista after I updated the firmware and got a more recent driver but now I'm stuck using USB.

I've tried all kinds of crap including switching my Windows 7 install to AHCI, having device manager rescan via devcon (basically i only need the thing for backups so i could have this run before a scheduled backup) etc etc, it seems like the drive is getting a mal-formed wake command or something from the computer.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

jmu posted:

1394 no worky

Have you fiddled with the drive's settings in Device Manager >Disk Drives >Properties >Policies?

I actually had similar problems along with sluggish transfer speeds with a totally different chipset and ended up just throwing a cheap PCI card in and have had no problems since.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Yeah I played with turning write caching on and off, having issues with eSata though, not firewire.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

jmu posted:

Has anyone else experienced issues with Windows 7 and onboard eSata ports using a JMicron storage controller (jmb36x)?

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/ but none have fixed my issue. I have a WD external drive with esata/usb/firewire hookups and when connected via eSata the drive disconnects when coming back from sleep. Nothing will bring it back besides power cycling the unit. It worked great in Vista after I updated the firmware and got a more recent driver but now I'm stuck using USB.

I've tried all kinds of crap including switching my Windows 7 install to AHCI, having device manager rescan via devcon (basically i only need the thing for backups so i could have this run before a scheduled backup) etc etc, it seems like the drive is getting a mal-formed wake command or something from the computer.

Its some kind of ACHI bug because the Intel controllers do that as well. And with internal SATA connectors too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

redeyes posted:

Its some kind of ACHI bug because the Intel controllers do that as well. And with internal SATA connectors too.

I installed 7x64 on a C2D notebook w/AHCI turned on in the BIOS and it detected and installed drivers just fine.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

I installed 7x64 on a C2D notebook w/AHCI turned on in the BIOS and it detected and installed drivers just fine.

Im talking about sleep making 2nd drives disappear.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

jmu posted:

I had this exact same problem. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager and it solved it.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I actually haven't had to install any codec packs in Windows 7 surprisingly. WMP12 has handled just about everything thrown at it, and VLC does anything else.

Wait, I guess Quicktime is a codec pack.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

revolther posted:

I actually haven't had to install any codec packs in Windows 7 surprisingly. WMP12 has handled just about everything thrown at it, and VLC does anything else.

Wait, I guess Quicktime is a codec pack.

I had a lot of stuttering with video playback using the default codecs on two separate Win 7 machines (one of them being a quad core) until I installed a different codec pack. It seems like the codecs that are included are just not very good. I was just trying to play MPEG files and DVDs but the stutter was extremely annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KaLogain posted:

I had this exact same problem. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager and it solved it.

Thing is that some boards dont have the ICH-R so this wont load...