Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Hey guys, what is the word on MICRON PENS?

I have been reading a few tutorials that refer to them but I haven't seen many people talk about them in the Warham thread or this one. They seem like an excellent way to get fine detail for things like eyes, banners, scrolls etc without the inaccuracy of a paintbrush.

Anyone have experience with them? Which colours are good? Does a thinned brown paint over micron-pen-drawn wood grain look decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bobvonunheil posted:

Hey guys, what is the word on MICRON PENS?

I have been reading a few tutorials that refer to them but I haven't seen many people talk about them in the Warham thread or this one. They seem like an excellent way to get fine detail for things like eyes, banners, scrolls etc without the inaccuracy of a paintbrush.

Anyone have experience with them? Which colours are good? Does a thinned brown paint over micron-pen-drawn wood grain look decent?

I use a black Sakura Pigma Micron 005 for all my iris, purity seal, and text-on-model needs. It is excellent. Give the paint plenty of time to dry solid (or risk gunking up the pen), allow plenty of time for the ink to dry (to avoid smearing), and then you can happily go over it with wash.

I'd say they are well worth the money even if it will only be for eyes. No idea about doing woodgrain though. I suppose if you could get the right shade ink to go with you paints it should work.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Micron Pens are pretty great. My handwriting is too lovely even with them, so I have MY WIFE do it on the rare occasion I need a banner or something done. You should apply some gloss varnish to whatever you want to write on with the pen. Otherwise it'll ruin the paint.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I use micron pens to do banner writing, hard shadows and highlights on my Flesh Tearer armor, and patterns and designs on my harlequins for wash/ink-only paintjobs. They're pretty fun to use.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

My tank is shite !

I'd recommend practicing on a smaller tank if you haven't already done some massive conversion-work before. GW puts up sexy pictures of converted baneblades to lure gamers into ruining $100 tanks.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hello new project (crossposted from warhammer thread)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

moths posted:

I'd recommend practicing on a smaller tank if you haven't already done some massive conversion-work before. GW puts up sexy pictures of converted baneblades to lure gamers into ruining $100 tanks.

Well now where is the fun in that ?

Actually that is good advice. I'm going to approach this slowly with a lot of thought over the next few months. I've already revised my idea for the vats... I'm leaning towards a row of three 25mm drums behind each sponson feeding a 40mm mixing drum built into the stowage compartments at the rear of the turret, which in turn will feed into the cannon.

And I really need to get my hands on some used guitar strings for the piping.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Seriously, just go to a music store and buy a set of guitar strings. You'll get enough to keep you going for ages and the cheapest brand will be easily affordable, even if you have bought a Baneblade.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
...uh, so am I blind, or did the current Warhammer GBS thread disappear?

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Jetfire posted:

...uh, so am I blind, or did the current Warhammer GBS thread disappear?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3202832&pagenumber=119#pti22

LEGO Thread for users who love LEGOs.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Awesome.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

removed dead image link

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 3, 2015

A Tasty Lozenge
Aug 18, 2009
Fished out my much neglected Empire stuff to see what still needs painting. The answer; a lot. 20+ handgunners, cannon crew, helblaster crew, 25 Swordsmen and more. My attempt at making a War Altar is still a table on wheels... Think maybe I will just stick to the Space Hulk Mareens for now.

(Bonus Gotrek and Felix)

Also WiP Flamer chap

A Tasty Lozenge fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 13, 2009

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

!amicable posted:

Dude, that is awesome.

I personally have tried to scale photos to miniatures, but they usually look worse for it. It's a bitch no matter what you do, using a flash will gently caress the way the colors look.

Anyway, despite the photo, the horse looks really good. I think you could pull it off as lacquered armor on the knights, it would be pretty sweet. The more you do it, the faster you will be able to work. On the other hand, you could just go for some simple armor using metalics and thin layers of color to spruce it up.

I'll try to dig up a tutorial of what I mean, it's definitely a cool option.

I ended up doing a much better job of layering. I can layer the horses in about 10 to 15 minutes each, blending was taking up to an hour. And with practice, the layering looks close enough to the blending that it's okay. I'll save the work intensive stuff for characters and important models.

With that said, I'd love to see even some examples of lacquered armor. Even without a tutorial I could still probably figure something out.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

A Tasty Lozenge posted:

Also WiP Flamer chap

When you guys are doing your space hulk termies, what are you using to prime them/basecoat?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

A Tasty Lozenge posted:

Also WiP Flamer chap

God, that paintjob looks so good (even though the highlights need cleaning up) BUT DRILL THOSE GOD drat BARRELS PLEASE

A Tasty Lozenge
Aug 18, 2009

Fix posted:

When you guys are doing your space hulk termies, what are you using to prime them/basecoat?

Citadel Black then Foundation Red.

Broken Loose posted:

God, that paintjob looks so good (even though the highlights need cleaning up) BUT DRILL THOSE GOD drat BARRELS PLEASE

Page one Tasty Lozenge posted:

Preempting drill your barrels! I decided to buy Chaos in the Old World instead of hobby bits and pieces.

A drill is next on my to buy list...After Rogue Trader!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Hello new project (crossposted from warhammer thread)

Sweet, they look well done. What is your general opinion on them? How prompt did they ship to you? Do I Really want to buy some? (Most likely answer - yes)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

No Pun Intended posted:

Sweet, they look well done. What is your general opinion on them? How prompt did they ship to you? Do I Really want to buy some? (Most likely answer - yes)

They look really nicely cast, far as I can tell. They arrived ten days after I ordered them, which is better than you'll usually get from Forgeworld. If you're in the USA, however, it'd probably take a bit longer of course.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Cross-postin'

Thought for the day: Magnetizing a Dreadnought is a messy, but fun, job.

Presenting the venerable Ancient Ignace:

:gonk: Wait no that's not right.

There we go. It's easy to fix a mix-matched Dreadnought when he's been installed with MAGNETS! :science:

Obligatory "dancing Dread" pictures.

Still needs some cleanup work in the back, and the Lascannon needs some mold lines cleaned up, but I'll probably drop it in some Simple Green to get rid of the old priming job first.

I want to give the model a mix of the usual red and Death Company schemes so that I can switch him back and forth in later games. Any ideas?

Fake EDIT: Oh and before I forget he does actually have a head, but forgot to set it in with sticky tac until after I had already come up and uploaded the pictures.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Hey, PaintVagrant, how 'bout a little tutorial on glazing? I picked up some Liquitex Glazing Medium, and I've experimented with it, but I'd like to hear from the expert.

!amicable, I'm the guy with the ice blue camo marines. I'll post a project log on EoW next week. Anything specific you'd like to see?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

My tank is shite !

To accompany my Plague Marines I need an Apocalypse unit, so a fat tank is in order.

My plan at the moment is to glue 60mm bases on either side and then use bits of sprue to create a frame for the vats. Coming down to about level with the bottom of the sponsons. Then I'll clad them with plasticard.
I intend to use the upside down base as a pool to fill with water effect stuff and Nurglings.. The rims for the peg holes will probably become bubbles.

I'm going to use a couple of spare Defiler CCW flail things to create piping to run out from the turret to about midway down the barrel of the main gun. I don't intend to give it the full peniscannon, but that might change.
I put the coaxial gun on before I decided to make it into a poo wagon, as the Reaper doesn't have one I'll try to make it look like it's knackered.

I'd welcome any suggestions and feedback.
Try bass guitar string for the piping, very positive experience with that stuff as opposed to bending plastic or mangling another plastic kit. One replacement string is more than enough when you segment it up.

GW sells Icon bitz packs now so you can add a ton of Nurgle symbols for very cheap now. Also one thing I remember reading from the nurgle book of spells for warhammer fantasy that seems appropriate:

I imagine that any daemonic possession of a super-heavy is going to take a very physical form, and how better to show that than by having the battle damage spontaneously heal itself with fleshy abundance (ew)

e: wouldn't it be easier/sturdier to get some sort of actual cup or jar to use as the base for your goo-vats on the side of the tank? you can still cover them with planks of plasticard to go for a ramshackle look, but the 60mm bases you're using now look like it's going to take one accidental compression and ruin all the effort of modeling the side-vats

frest fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 15, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I've decided to use some conduit as the core of the vats. And I've just recieved some guitar strings through the post that look perfect for the scale.

I'll definately bear the stuff about damage being 'healed' in mind, cheers.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
This guy used the chemical plant for his vats iirc

Some sprue pics,
http://www.thehogsofwar.com/2009/07/product-review-imex-chemical-plant.html

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 15, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well that makes you a heroman.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Plastruct also sells a pretty dizzying range of tubes and tanks that you might want to look at. It's probably the most expansive store I've seen.

Honestly the Chemical Plant is probably a good buy because it will come with all sorts of other bits and pieces that you can use to modify the tank or other models.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I definately want that chemical plant, I'm trying to track it down in the UK now.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm seeing (besides the Baneblade kit, obviously) a Vampire Counts Corpse Cart, the 'mouth' of a Hellcannon, and what looks like the banner from those Nurgle Gors. Nurglors? Anyways, it makes the kitbasher in me happy. :3:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Zarkov Cortez posted:

GOD drat stuff like this is why I like this hobby so much

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

I like the guys that are kind of impaled on the sides :3:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Further proof that Nurgle is the best chaos.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I finally got myself to work on this guy a few days ago (before catching a cold), he's currently missing a backpack with ammo, extra barrels and stuff.

All the little white parts (meant to be motors and a camera) are self made.
If you put a bit of styrene rod in you Dremel and then lightly hold a cutter against it you have the tiniest lathe, i've really come to enjoy that technique for tiny detail stuff.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I dont know what that is but its the best picture in this whole thread

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Mixed in with a bunch of Catachans who would notice :shobon:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Eh, i should have probably mentioned it but this is Guerilla, leader of the Ape Revolution Committee, a group of genetically modified, communist ape and monkeys.
He's from Pulp City a super-hero skirmish game that i've been meaning to make a thread about for a while now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Pulp city looks rad

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Mixed in with a bunch of Catachans who would notice :shobon:

That's raaaaaacist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU