Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

?!?

Automatic transmission fluid is almost always referred to as ATF, at least from what I've seen? Or is 60k a completely bogus interval? I'm going off memory, but really drain/filling the ATF too often can only help things (flushes are a different story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

hobbesmaster posted:

Automatic transmission fluid is almost always referred to as ATF, at least from what I've seen? Or is 60k a completely bogus interval? I'm going off memory, but really drain/filling the ATF too often can only help things (flushes are a different story).

every 60k miles, do 30k maintenance

wouldn't it be, do 60k maintenace

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

every 60k miles, do 30k maintenance

wouldn't it be, do 60k maintenace

I was saying that a 60k maintenance is usually the 30k plus a few other things. :confused:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Point being, there is a trend in the manual. Follow that trend.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
There's a really sad trend starting of manufacturers having very lax maintenance schedules. BMW is the worst. Buy a brand new BMW, do get to go 15,000 miles between oil changes, the transmission fluid is 'lifetime' fluid, and there isn't even an oil dipstick for you to check your oil. Everything I've seen online says to change the oil twice as much, and the lifetime fluid assumes the car has a lifetime of 100,000 miles. They only do that so they can have a low 'cost of ownership' for all the surveys (and so they can cheaply do all your sub-60k maintenance for free).

In the future I fear buying a well-kept used car will become more difficult, because following the owners manual won't be enough maintenance to keep the car on the road past 150k.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 14, 2009

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm kind of curious, with the sudden onset of winter here, what other people's opinions about winter tires are. They're much safer on snow and ice than summer or all-season tires. However, it is expensive to have to buy (and store) two sets of tires.

I've always had all-seasons (which are sometimes called no-seasons for a reason, because they're worse than summer tires in the summer and worse than winter tires in the winter) but if I could afford it I would buy seasonal tires, even though I can drive in the poo poo weather we have here.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

CornHolio posted:

I'm kind of curious, with the sudden onset of winter here, what other people's opinions about winter tires are. They're much safer on snow and ice than summer or all-season tires. However, it is expensive to have to buy (and store) two sets of tires.

I passed on them last year, but I've decided I have to get a set this year. Yeah, a set of snow tires is kind of expensive, but they are still cheaper than my collision deductible. Adding on greater personal safety and better chances of being able to drive to work, and I really don't see how I can justify not getting them. (It also helps that my current tires are bare and I'm going to have to get new tires before the first snowfall either way)

If you have RWD, then you can get most of the benefit with just 2 snow tires, which can make things a lot easier to swallow.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Zhentar posted:

If you have RWD, then you can get most of the benefit with just 2 snow tires, which can make things a lot easier to swallow.

Braking and steering are overrated anyways.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CornHolio posted:

and there isn't even an oil dipstick for you to check your oil.

What the gently caress? Do you just dump in a quart and pray?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

traveling midget posted:

No, you just assume all the sensors are functioning properly. Oil is dirty, and checking it is a thing of the past apparently.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

traveling midget posted:

No, you take it to your authorized BMW service center so it can be filled with the proper superior German lubricants.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

hobbesmaster posted:

No, you take it to your authorized BMW service center so it can be filled with the proper superior German lubricants.
by a Technician trained in the art of German Engineering and has a few million dollars in capital to afford all tools that the later model BMW's require to be serviced*.

*BMW builds the tools first, then the automobile/motorcycle second these days!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zhentar posted:

Nobody in AI would recommend this, as your grip levels would be vastly different, no matter where you mounted the snow tires. In the front, especially in e: an RWD car, you stand the chance of snap steering your car into a spin. In the rear, you will lose grip and possibly slide straight when going around a turn.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 15, 2009

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zhentar posted:

Tirerack's balanced and mounted on steelies combos might ease that financial burden a bit. Its always seemed a bit wild to me that tire rack is cheaper than including shipping than the tire stores around here.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Tirerack's balanced and mounted on steelies combos might ease that financial burden a bit. Its always seemed a bit wild to me that tire rack is cheaper than including shipping than the tire stores around here.

One huge benefit of living down the road from the Tire Rack!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

One huge benefit of living down the road from the Tire Rack!

Probably the only benefit of living in Elkhart.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

kimbo305 posted:

Nobody in AI would recommend this, as your grip levels would be vastly different, no matter where you mounted the snow tires. In the front, especially in e: an RWD car, you stand the chance of snap steering your car into a spin. In the rear, you will lose grip and possibly slide straight when going around a turn.

Losing grip and sliding straight is also what can happen if you don't have snow tires at all, and then you'll still have two wheels that can brake.

Two snow tires in the front is definitely a bad idea, but two snow tires in the back is still better than no snow tires at all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Losing grip and sliding straight is also what can happen if you don't have snow tires at all
With less grip on all corners, people will (or should) drive at the car's lower limits. When they can get up and accelerate faster thanks to their snow tires, they can be misled by the perceived amount of grip.

quote:

and then you'll still have two wheels that can brake.
having different brake bias can catch people by surprise

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

CornHolio posted:

I've always had all-seasons (which are sometimes called no-seasons for a reason, because they're worse than summer tires in the summer and worse than winter tires in the winter) but if I could afford it I would buy seasonal tires, even though I can drive in the poo poo weather we have here.

This can depend on your area. I am in Indiana where we can have 5 ft of snow 1 week then high 50's that next. So good all seasons + the AWD on my Impreza is more then enough. If you are farther north or when winter hits in your area hits it stay the snow tires can be worth it. Some one will pop in with the name/number for them but there is a all season tire that gets repeated over and over and over in AI when this topic pops up(I have them and love the hell out of them).

edit: VVVV thank you, the bridgestones are what I have on my car and I love the hell out of them. VVVV

Backno fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 20, 2009

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Backno posted:

This can depend on your area. I am in Indiana where we can have 5 ft of snow 1 week then high 50's that next. So good all seasons + the AWD on my Impreza is more then enough. If you are farther north or when winter hits in your area hits it stay the snow tires can be worth it. Some one will pop in with the name/number for them but there is a all season tire that gets repeated over and over and over in AI when this topic pops up(I have them and love the hell out of them).

Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960 and General Altimax HP are what I recall being recommended (well, that is what is in my "wish list" on tire rack so I can remember). The former is more "sporting" and won't last as along, its in the category of "Ultra High Performance All Seasons" and the Altimax is a "Grand Touring All Season" which means, uh, something. The latter is only $63/ea on tirerack for my Accord (size 195/65/R15). Some places will charge that for Chinese tires that have a tendency to kill you.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960

This is what I used to have on my BMW, and they were fantastic. They didn't last long, however. The tires I have on there now are some Fuzion HRis and they kinda suck in the wet, I really hope I don't have any problem with them in the winter. I miss my RE960AS's but they're expensive. :(

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Its all about how you drive on snow and ice, the tires don't make that big of difference. Snow tires will make someone who doesn't know how to drive on snow and ice over-confident. And someone who knows how to drive and snow and ice doesn't need them.

But that's just my opinion and I'm sure people will disagree with me.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Dik Hz posted:

Its all about how you drive on snow and ice, the tires don't make that big of difference. Snow tires will make someone who doesn't know how to drive on snow and ice over-confident. And someone who knows how to drive and snow and ice doesn't need them.

But that's just my opinion and I'm sure people will disagree with me.

I live in a hilly area and drive a car without ABS or traction control. Snow tires can make the different between being able to get to work and not.

Yes, you can drive on snow and ice with proper all season tires but snow tires give you a large safety margin with the increased traction. Bonus points: you have better braking, handling and acceleration to avoid the fucksticks who have never seen snow on a road before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

And someone who knows how to drive and snow and ice doesn't need them.

Unless you know, their car literally can't move.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Unless you know, their car literally can't move.

Yeah, even among non-snow tires, grip levels are obviously not equal. A good all season tire might be fine, but a lovely, bald all season will be no good. Again, of all the things you don't want to skimp on, tires is at the top.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Do you think the same thing about ABS and Traction Control?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Its not like a video game, where snow tires give +5 grip. Most accidents happen because people hit slick spots or are driving too fast and aggressively. By slowing down and driving cautiously, you can drive safely on snow and ice with regular all-season tires.

Snow tires and ABS and traction control all help. But the single biggest safety factor is knowing how drive on snow. And the single biggest danger is overconfidence. Why do you think you see more huge SUVs in the ditch than small light coupes?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Dik Hz posted:

Its not like a video game, where snow tires give +5 grip. Most accidents happen because people hit slick spots or are driving too fast and aggressively. By slowing down and driving cautiously, you can drive safely on snow and ice with regular all-season tires.

Snow tires and ABS and traction control all help. But the single biggest safety factor is knowing how drive on snow. And the single biggest danger is overconfidence. Why do you think you see more huge SUVs in the ditch than small light coupes?

How many types of snow tires have you used? What geographical location are you at?

You can be the best driver in the world and still be unsafe on an icy road, where proper snow tires would allow even a mediocre driver to be plenty safe.

After getting an epiphany after putting a set of snow tires on my Civic, I stack the deck in my favor: knowing good technique, practicing it and running excellent tires.

Scrooging $300 for not buying a set of snow tires is the wrong way to go about being frugal.

Unless you live in Florida.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
I hate car maintenance costs. :cry:

I am over 35,000 miles now, and I need to drive home for Thanksgiving next month, so I definitely want to get new brakes, my alignment adjusted, and new rear tires (I replaced the front ones this month, they were bald). Where I live there thankfully isn't much snow but 600 miles north is a different story. And I'm not too excited about getting in an accident on the way, or while I'm there, because I was cheap.

Soooo...next month, all that gets done.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I hate car maintenance costs. :cry:

I am over 35,000 miles now, and I need to drive home for Thanksgiving next month, so I definitely want to get new brakes, my alignment adjusted, and new rear tires (I replaced the front ones this month, they were bald). Where I live there thankfully isn't much snow but 600 miles north is a different story. And I'm not too excited about getting in an accident on the way, or while I'm there, because I was cheap.

Soooo...next month, all that gets done.

Do you actually need new brakes? A set of pads on a normal commuter car wearing out at 35K is a little early.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Are you sure the brakes and alignment need to be done? Both of those should be OK at 35K miles on ordinary cars, in ordinary use.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

Are you sure the brakes and alignment need to be done? Both of those should be OK at 35K miles on ordinary cars, in ordinary use.

And the OEM tires were really bald at 35k? Did he not rotate his tires ever or something?

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

And the OEM tires were really bald at 35k? Did he not rotate his tires ever or something?

Guilty as charged. I'm making sure I'll always do that from now on. Being female + cars don't mix. :(

My brakes *seem* OK, but my alignment is pretty off (i.e. I veer off to the right if I let go of the steering wheel). I could do without having it done though. It's just annoying me.

Edit: spelling that I caught way after I posted.

Hip Hoptimus Prime fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 17, 2009

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Guilty as charged. I'm making sure I'll always do that from now on. Being female + cars don't mix. :(

My brakes *seem* OK, but my alignment is pretty off (i.e. I veer off to the right if I let go of the steering while). I could do without having it done though. It's just annoying me.

If it takes a while for your car to veer off then everything should be ok. If you're fighting a bit then something is off. Having evenly worn tires helps out a ton. Your brakes should be ok until about 60k or so? If you don't hear the squeal from the disc brake indicators the pads should be fine, if you don't feel pulsating under the brake pedal the discs should be fine. Another thing to watch for is sponginess, this indicates air in the lines.

What kind of car is it? Have you had the oil changed? Usually they'll rotate the tires then.

EDIT: To be more specific about the alignment your car is aligned properly it will veer slightly right on a highway due to road crown.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Also check your tire pressures, if one side is a little low it'll cause slight pulling.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Also, if you think your alignment is off have it checked BEFORE buying new tires!

Bad alignment = quicker, uneven tire wear which costs you $$$

Tire pressure goes without saying Cornholio. Everyone here is checking it once a week... right everyone?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Skier posted:

What geographical location are you at?

I grew up in rural Minnesota and drove all sorts of vehicles in all sorts of conditions there.

quote:

You can be the best driver in the world and still be unsafe on an icy road, where proper snow tires would allow even a mediocre driver to be plenty safe.
So we disagree. That's fine.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

If it takes a while for your car to veer off then everything should be ok. If you're fighting a bit then something is off. Having evenly worn tires helps out a ton. Your brakes should be ok until about 60k or so? If you don't hear the squeal from the disc brake indicators the pads should be fine, if you don't feel pulsating under the brake pedal the discs should be fine. Another thing to watch for is sponginess, this indicates air in the lines.

What kind of car is it? Have you had the oil changed? Usually they'll rotate the tires then.

EDIT: To be more specific about the alignment your car is aligned properly it will veer slightly right on a highway due to road crown.

I'm not hearing squealing and I can stop just fine so that probably means my brakes are good to go. Yay. :)

I do get oil changes every few months. I do know that those are important. Haha. I'm going to get one next month so that I'm good for my drive home for Thanksgiving.

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. I haven't had any major issues with it since I got it. It seems to be very reliable.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I moved to MA from VA a long time ago, and my only vehcile at the time was a modified twin turbo 300z. The fact that I could actually drive it 40 miles to work in the middle of a good 8-10 inch snowfall was nothing short of a miracle that only snow tires could provide. I think it's just stupid to not get them if you live in a high snowfall area.

I don't care how great of a driver you are , the difference in grip is unbelievable with proper snows. They last a long long time as well if you swap them at the right times and store them properly. Just because some idiots think 4wd or two blizzaks on the front mean they are setting the pace in an ice rally doesn't mean you have to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Q: Should I buy a brand new car?
A: No, you shouldn't.