Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The_Doctor posted:

You weren't there.

Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DontMockMySmock posted:

Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes.

I'm just now reading Interesting Times, and it appears to me that Rowan Atkinson could play Rincewind very well, especially since he's basically the same character as Blackadder, except with slightly more insight and even less aspirations. The cowardice and the acceptance that fate is loving him over anyway is already there.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

John Dough posted:

I'm just now reading Interesting Times, and it appears to me that Rowan Atkinson could play Rincewind very well, especially since he's basically the same character as Blackadder, except with slightly more insight and even less aspirations. The cowardice and the acceptance that fate is loving him over anyway is already there.

You know what? I think thats a really good fit. Rowan Atkinson has the kind of super-expressive face, and talent for physical comedy (in addition to his other comedic talents), that'd really suit the character of Rincewind.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Off the top of my head, I think Unseen Academicals has the most references to other books in it out of all of them. You've got Vimes, Rincewind, William de Worde, a cameo by the Low King, Mr. Shine references, a Moist reference, a Reverend Oats reference, a Small Gods reference, a Moving Pictures reference, and I'm sure a bunch of others I can't think of at 6:30 in the morning.

Also references the color of magic movie: dead men's pointy shoes. At least I dont remember that being mentioned by that name in any of the books, but I havn't read the older ones in a while.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ika posted:

Also references the color of magic movie: dead men's pointy shoes. At least I dont remember that being mentioned by that name in any of the books, but I havn't read the older ones in a while.

It's definitely mentioned in The Light Fantastic.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

Vetinary's assassination of Winder is probably the most badass scene in any discworld book.

It also has probably the best cover:

Based on Rembrandt's Nightwatch

Does the US version have the same cover?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Holy poo poo that's amazing :monocle: I never knew it was based on a real painting!

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Holy poo poo that's amazing :monocle: I never knew it was based on a real painting!

Tsk tsk, everyone should go to the Rijksmuseum at least once in their lives.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

Does the US version have the same cover?

It probably has some cartoons. :-/

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ha, found it.

/
:negative:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Also instead of

There's

I love Paul Kidby's art and it sucks that some people are missing out on it. Just about every character he's illustrated is exactly as I imagine them, especially Vimes.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

There's

While I do like that cover (but not nearly as much as the British one), it sure seems like the art was just based on somebody saying "Yeah, it's called Thud. I guess it's some sort of funny parody of fantasy stuff. You know, knights and all that, stuff British people like. Yeah, kinda like Monty Python I guess. What? No, I haven't read it but I'm told it's quite good."

edit: I suppose if the guy on the cover was a dwarf it would fit, but it sure doesn't seem like he is. Plus there's a blue sky background.

Though I do like that particular cover, I have to say I almost prefer the ones that are just lame technicolor with a "wacky" font. At least those you can write off to being lazy. This one and the cover for Unseen Academicals ("You know, I heard in Britain that they call Basketball "Football." I read it somewhere") show that somebody put in enough effort to actually make up some art for the cover, but not enough effort to actually find out what the book's about.

Alvie fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 16, 2009

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Alvie posted:

edit: I suppose if the guy on the cover was a dwarf it would fit, but it sure doesn't seem like he is. Plus there's a blue sky background.

The book is about a policeman who wears an armour helmet investigating the murder of someone who was hit over the head with a troll's club. Like Vimes is being symbolically hit over the head with the whole affair. I don't particularly like that cover but I can see that some effort went into it.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

bitterandtwisted posted:

It also has probably the best cover:

You're drat right it does - it's strange how the best cover and my favorite of the discworld books come together as one.

Hell, I like it so much that I've got a wallet with the center of it on (thanks to the wallets thread in SAMart ), and it looks great.

Also, a quick question for anyone else who's read UA. At the start, when it talks about the night guard, is the 'the way the kittens stared at him gave him nightmares' a reference to anything in particular?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay, speaking of Hogfather, I just now got that Teatime's plot actually worked. Reading that scene where Ridcully or whoever goes "Oh, no-one believes in the Hogfather anymore," and I stopped and thought, this is the Disc. These are wizards. Why don't they at least acknowledge that there is one, like with every other god?

Thinking back, it becomes apparent that if you work magic on every tooth from a child ever collected, it would probably either work back in time or on everyone alive at the present moment.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Masonity posted:

You forgot the traditional DEATH cameo too.

Personally I just loved the Lady Sybill free hospital, and people referring to the cops as the Old Sam. Simple, but nice little nods.

I am disappointed somewhat by the special editions of TP's books though I have to say. I bought the special edition of Making Money for about €30, and it smelled faintly (and still does) of feces. It had a nice little bookmark ribbon but wasn't even signed like some of the regular editions. The special edition of Unseen Academicals was €50, which nearly put me off buying it for a start. I did like the orange painting along the sides of each page, and there was a much nicer smell of it thankfully, but they didn't even put in a bookmark ribbon and again - no signature.

I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any more special editions due to that.

tsob fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 18, 2009

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Alvie posted:

[...] somebody put in enough effort to actually make up some art for the cover, but not enough effort to actually find out what the book's about.

The old busy, lumpy fantasy art covers were pretty bad for this, too. (Some googling tells me that I am talking about the Josh Kirby covers.) I have a copy somewhere of one of the Rincewind books where Twoflower is drawn with four eyes. As in, literally two eyeballs in each socket, instead of glasses, which I assume is what the "four-eyes" joke was intended to mean. So apparently the artist did read the book, but not too attentively. Same reason that Angua wears pink thigh-high boots on those covers.

I liked Unseen Academicals quite a bit, and loved the introduction of a new set of characters to offset the wizard stuff. The amount of Vetinari was great, too, especially with Lady Margolotta in the mix.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Helena Handbasket posted:

The old busy, lumpy fantasy art covers were pretty bad for this, too. (Some googling tells me that I am talking about the Josh Kirby covers.) I have a copy somewhere of one of the Rincewind books where Twoflower is drawn with four eyes. As in, literally two eyeballs in each socket, instead of glasses, which I assume is what the "four-eyes" joke was intended to mean. So apparently the artist did read the book, but not too attentively. Same reason that Angua wears pink thigh-high boots on those covers.

I had only seen the Kirby covers in passing, being used to the lovely American covers, but I always thought that they looked really tacky. Now that you point out the huge inaccuracies in them, I went and looked at them more carefully. Holy crap, are they terrible. Not only do the characters look nothing like they are described in the books (or at least, not anything like what I imagine them to look like), but the art on most of them is way too busy, lacks any kind of focus, and contains wild inaccuracies on simple things (such as Twoflower's glasses being literally interpreted as four eyes or (what I can only assume is) Susan (because there are no other female characters in Hogfather) having yellow-blonde hair, and worst of all out of the few covers I've looked at, ScarlettGinger from Moving Pictures also having blonde hair :bang:).

And possibly worst of all, he seems completely unable to draw characters that aren't contortionists.

Examples: Granny Weatherwax's right leg coming out of her shoulder in Witches Abroad; Susan(?) the giraffe and Albert the human sack of pudding from Hogfather.

I mean, I know they are supposed to be cartoony, but there is a line somewhere where it stops being funny and starts being weird and creepy-looking, and Kirby passed it a long long time ago.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
I hadn't seen a Death book with a Kirby cover in a while and had forgotten that he did big bulgy blue eyeballs for Death, instead of black sockets with barely visible blue pinpricks. And yeah, those covers are a huge guessing game of which character is supposed to be who... there seems to be a tendency for every character to be illustrated as if they were an elderly wizard or a bellydancer.

Edit: I think it stands out more because the characters aren't usually described in lavish detail, they just get one or two physical features mentioned at most (like Susan's hair or Teatime's eyes) which never seem to appear on any of the covers.

Helena Handbasket fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 19, 2009

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

DontMockMySmock posted:

...(what I can only assume is) Susan (because there are no other female characters in Hogfather) having yellow-blonde hair...

Just to nitpick, could have been Violet or the Cheerful Fairy as well. But yeah, those covers were awful. I've been thinking of re-buying the only Kirby-cover book I have just to get it out of my collection. Unfortunately it's Moving Pictures, so it doesn't seem that worth it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Benagain posted:

Okay, speaking of Hogfather, I just now got that Teatime's plot actually worked. Reading that scene where Ridcully or whoever goes "Oh, no-one believes in the Hogfather anymore," and I stopped and thought, this is the Disc. These are wizards. Why don't they at least acknowledge that there is one, like with every other god?

Thinking back, it becomes apparent that if you work magic on every tooth from a child ever collected, it would probably either work back in time or on everyone alive at the present moment.

If it is Ridcully I wouldn't be so sure. Ridcully is an Atheist despite having talked with several gods, simply to annoy his brother, who is the High Priest of Offler (I think it's Offler). He is also very dismissive of anything supernatural.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Decius posted:

If it is Ridcully I wouldn't be so sure. Ridcully is an Atheist despite having talked with several gods, simply to annoy his brother, who is the High Priest of Offler (I think it's Offler). He is also very dismissive of anything supernatural.

This seems likely, as in "Sure there's a couple of old winter/blood deities knocking about, but no one actually believes in them!"

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Shanty posted:

This seems likely, as in "Sure there's a couple of old winter/blood deities knocking about, but no one actually believes in them!"

To use a line from one of the witch books, it would be like believing in the postman.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Maybe I shouldn't read Guards! Guards! on the train anymore. I couldn't stop laughing at FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

SaintFu posted:

To use a line from one of the witch books, it would be like believing in the postman.

"But you know [the gods] exist!"

"That's no cause to go around believin' in 'em, it only encourages 'em."

(Paraphrased from memory, but something like that...)

Alvie
May 22, 2008

John Dough posted:

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

That's one of my favorite parts of the whole Watch series.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I noticed something on a second reading of Unseen Academicals that I skimmed past the first time through: Unseen University's policy under Ridcully on gays in the wizardry: don't ask, don't care. "People make such a fuss. Anyway, in my opinion there's not enough love in the world."

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Don't you think that might be a reference to a certain other wizard that also happened to be the head of a major magical school?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Konstantin posted:

Don't you think that might be a reference to a certain other wizard that also happened to be the head of a major magical school?

:aaa: I didn't even think of that. Clever!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

shadok posted:

I noticed something on a second reading of Unseen Academicals that I skimmed past the first time through: Unseen University's policy under Ridcully on gays in the wizardry: don't ask, don't care. "People make such a fuss. Anyway, in my opinion there's not enough love in the world."

This seems to directly contradict some of the earlier material (some of the Rincewind books, Equal Rites) that says that the reason there are only male wizards is because hanky-panky leads to loss of magical performance (basically the same reason women were excluded from the armed forces for such a long time, except replace "magical performance" with "military discipline"). The logical flip-side of this is that gay wizards shouldn't be allowed either (and also logically that means now that women are allowed in the armed forces, gay guys should be too), because gay wizards also lead to hanky-panky.

But then again, Ridcully is an easy-going guy, so he probably doesn't care one way or another (and would probably welcome female wizards if any applied).

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

DontMockMySmock posted:

This seems to directly contradict some of the earlier material (some of the Rincewind books, Equal Rites) that says that the reason there are only male wizards is because hanky-panky leads to loss of magical performance (basically the same reason women were excluded from the armed forces for such a long time, except replace "magical performance" with "military discipline"). The logical flip-side of this is that gay wizards shouldn't be allowed either (and also logically that means now that women are allowed in the armed forces, gay guys should be too), because gay wizards also lead to hanky-panky.

But then again, Ridcully is an easy-going guy, so he probably doesn't care one way or another (and would probably welcome female wizards if any applied).

If you haven't already, read Sourcery. The whole plot revolves around the consequences of wizards having children, and there is a very good reason why that restriction is in place. Gay relationships don't result in children so it doesn't matter.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

I don't think he was referring to the Dean, either directly or indirectly.

DontMockMySmock posted:

This seems to directly contradict some of the earlier material (some of the Rincewind books, Equal Rites) that says that the reason there are only male wizards is because hanky-panky leads to loss of magical performance

As Konstantin points out, this is debunked in Sourcery.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

shadok posted:

I don't think he was referring to the Dean, either directly or indirectly.

:rimshot:

And because I can't tell if people are joking or not over the internet (no seriously, I can't) I think he meant Dumbledore.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Staggy posted:

And because I can't tell if people are joking or not over the internet (no seriously, I can't) I think he meant Dumbledore.

Of course he was. Silly me.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
This is a weird little question, but maybe this thread has ideas about it. What's the story with Constable "Kipper" Haddock? He's the officer (moonlighting as a security guard) on the scene when Moist breaks into the vault in Making Money, he's around here and there in Thud!, and he's the one who intercepts Trev Likely in Unseen Academicals.

It's odd to have a named recurring character with such minimal characterization. Is he just go-to extra guy for when the regular Watch cast needs more people? Is it because the Watch regulars can't just fill the role of street-level law enforcement in other stories without dragging their own stories behind them? It seems like there's plenty of other officers who could step into the role. I was wondering if any other readers had caught something about the character that I hadn't.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I kept waiting for some kind of "Win one for the Kipper" moment, but apparently that was just a byproduct of my own insanity.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Helena Handbasket posted:

Is he just go-to extra guy for when the regular Watch cast needs more people? Is it because the Watch regulars can't just fill the role of street-level law enforcement in other stories without dragging their own stories behind them? It seems like there's plenty of other officers who could step into the role. I was wondering if any other readers had caught something about the character that I hadn't.

I hadn't even noticed that it was the same character. But Pratchett also seems to like using Angua: she makes appearances as a working copper in "The Truth", "Monstrous Regiment", "Making Money" and "Unseen Academicals".

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

shadok posted:

I hadn't even noticed that it was the same character. But Pratchett also seems to like using Angua: she makes appearances as a working copper in "The Truth", "Monstrous Regiment", "Making Money" and "Unseen Academicals".

Angua is one of the main characters though.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Just had to say, Terry Pratchett is one of my all time favourite authors.

Unlike so many other authors, he has managed to make me cry with laughter, (all of them) tear up with sorrow, (Wee Free Men, Nation), feel pain and rage and hopelessness, (Night Watch, Thud!) think deeply about our society and amaze me with some of his profound insights to the human condition, on all levels of society. I believe that every book I've read by him has made me stop and think "you know, that is so true" about one thing or another.

The scene near the end of Thud! when Vimes needs to get back to his kid to read the book, and the scene immediately after, when the entity meets Vimes' internal watchman... unforgettable.

The Witches books are good too, mostly because Granny Weatherwax is hardcore as gently caress.

And the Nac Mac Feegles are the ultimate characters, basically just made out of pure awesome and hilarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Angua is one of the main characters though.

That's my point. If the question is "Is it because the Watch regulars can't just fill the role of street-level law enforcement in other stories" then the answer is no: Angua shows up all the time in other books as a copper just doing her daily job.