Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That chemical plant set seems to be available under the Urban War brand as 'Biotoxin Plant' and I've ordered myself one.

Now I just need to resist the mad temptation to build the complete plant on top of the hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
last night I was at my game store and this complete jobber was bragging about how he paints his daemons and how he's gonna stomp the competition once their all assembled. I asked him how he paints them and he said "It's a secret that I figured out, I'm not sure I want to tell"

I thought he was loving with me so I pressed him and he told me his big secret was he waters down paint a poo poo load and spreads it over the model for a slow change of color.

"You mean glazes?"

"NO! It's different!"

"You mean washes?"

"NO! It's better!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Not much of an update of any kind, but I primed my Mentors command squad along with command squad for 1st Platoon, 21st Jeremiad Stalkers.

Nothing special about them, but I like two guys in particular.

The Mentors melta gunner takes his chapter's beliefs to heart and can often be seen holding impromptu tactics lessons with the more "advanced" Guardsmen:

"The hurty stuff comes out this end!" *PEW* "Th-Thank you, Private Richards for demonstrating why we shouldn't hold our guns like the wrong way... Can we get a mop here?"

And I made the sniper with the Medic head (why the gently caress is the medic wearing mask? The dude isn't even wearing gloves!) and a cape from the Empire General kit.

Best thing about taking pictures? Before I looked at this picture, I considered this guy fully primed.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

last night I was at my game store and this complete jobber was bragging about how he paints his daemons and how he's gonna stomp the competition once their all assembled. I asked him how he paints them and he said "It's a secret that I figured out, I'm not sure I want to tell"

I thought he was loving with me so I pressed him and he told me his big secret was he waters down paint a poo poo load and spreads it over the model for a slow change of color.

"You mean glazes?"

"NO! It's different!"

"You mean washes?"

"NO! It's better!

He might just be talking about using a lot of thin layers of paint to build up a gradient. But given the way you describe him, he is probably just stupid.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

Cthulu Carl posted:

Mentors[/timg]

Best thing about taking pictures? Before I looked at this picture, I considered this guy fully primed.

What rules are you using for your mentors in a guard army? Regular space marine rules? Daemonhunter auxillaries?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bistromatic posted:

If you put a bit of styrene rod in you Dremel and then lightly hold a cutter against it you have the tiniest lathe, i've really come to enjoy that technique for tiny detail stuff.

That's brilliant you're brilliant.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

He might just be talking about using a lot of thin layers of paint to build up a gradient. But given the way you describe him, he is probably just stupid.

He is. Got fired from that gaming store for being a fat lazy sack of poo poo. How do you gently caress up a job where you talk about Warhams and MTG all day? And his stuff looks like rear end.

Man I gotta start painting again. I need to finish my friend's tau by christmas so I can work on my stuff again.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to say that gesso owns, gently caress the haters.

Yeah it takes a little longer but it only takes thirty or so seconds a model and you decide where to put it and can assemble models afterward without them being really fragile.

Yeah it wears off easier, but only until you apply a basecoat, don't handle the models before then and you're golden.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
gesso ain't that bad

I primed my Abbadon with black gesso like, a year ago? And finally got around to painting him last night and despite a year of handling in my case and the like he was only missing a few spots like the tip of his finger claws and poo poo

frest
Sep 17, 2004

I tried my best to keep him tidy, but holy poo poo I'm mildly ashamed of my Abbadon. I'll post a picture later when I get home from work, but I was totally in love with Chaos and had just gotten into 40k. I also had no greenstuff and at-best a passing understanding of how-to assemble metal models. He's held together by like a tablespoon of epoxy, some superglue, and mostly sheer force-of-will.

I moved to a different army list, tried fantasy and procrastinated so he never got painted.

Took him out of the case and entire swaths of his armor was totally obscured with glue, his chin/neck totally gobbed over, his elbows/junction points of the model are basically solid epoxy. He looks so awful compared to properly greenstuffed and pinned models :( I felt bad, so I painted him.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
And the Cult of Gesso grows...:devil:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Got a lot of painting done yesterday and the day before, I even squeeked in some work on *gasp* my personal stuff!

photos are decent, still having some trouble with contrast/blow out from my top light:

incoming:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Those metals are really sexy dude. You should do a tutorial on that. I totally forgot to look up that tutorial for Pagan, but you did an awesome job and your tutorials are really spot on.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dont have time to do a photo tutorial, but the metal:

1 pig iron (boltgun metal)
2 wash of straight badab black
3 thinned khador red highlight (orange) wash in the lower cracks/etc
4 drybrush pig iron
5 skinny highlight on edges w pig iron+mithril

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Dont have time to do a photo tutorial, but the metal:

1 pig iron (boltgun metal)
2 wash of straight badab black
3 thinned khador red highlight (orange) wash in the lower cracks/etc
4 drybrush pig iron
5 skinny highlight on edges w pig iron+mithril

Very cool. When I finish my defiler I'll try to post some steps. I used a lot of glazing and colored washes to make the metal look less boring (I hope!)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Powerful Cream posted:

What rules are you using for your mentors in a guard army? Regular space marine rules? Daemonhunter auxillaries?

I honestly just wanted them in for the look, so they'd just count as a normal Company Command Squad - maybe with a special character or two.

I'm also thinking about working some scouts in for Vets or Stormtroopers.

Though I could just say gently caress it and run them all as Space Wolves :v:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Having never painted minis before I think I'm finally beginning to figure out this shading/highlighting/blending business:

Now I get to do that 14 times and make sure I pay some attention to the rest of the dude too and not just the head. One of these days I'll grow some will power and stop buying poo poo because you nerds keep posting them >:(

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

PaintVagrant posted:

Got a lot of painting done yesterday and the day before, I even squeeked in some work on *gasp* my personal stuff!

photos are decent, still having some trouble with contrast/blow out from my top light:

my old models

I wish I had more stuff to toss your way :(

If I ever find that Nomad it's yours.

edit: Angryboot those are some slick templars, and welcome to the no-motivation to paint club.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 17, 2009

frest
Sep 17, 2004

finished a bunch of poo poo recently, took pictures. Like this Deva Avenger and a Barbarian for 4e D&D

I choo-choo-choose you

to go over there now

And then BIG PAPA Abbadon the Despoiler, Warmaster of Chaos

And then a vanity shot

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Angryboot posted:

Having never painted minis before I think I'm finally beginning to figure out this shading/highlighting/blending business:

Those look really good, especially considering that black the hardest color to get highlights right on.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Angryboot posted:

Now I get to do that 14 times and make sure I pay some attention to the rest of the dude too and not just the head. One of these days I'll grow some will power and stop buying poo poo because you nerds keep posting them >:(

Jesus christ your templars look a lot better than mine. I still can't paint the crosses on right and I've done over 40 of them now.

I still can't highlight black worth poo poo. I need to actually sit down and practice it rather than just sploshing it on and wondering why my army looks like rear end.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

Angryboot posted:

Holy gently caress are these your first minis ever?!?

Those are really loving good.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Heh, thanks a bunch guys. I still need to get more colors before I can finish the skull and those purity and crusader seals. That and need to figure out how exactly those crosses would be highlighted.

I don't know about you folks but my main problem is I'd get all pumped and go all nutso working on the head; once that's done I just kinda peter out on the rest of the dude. By the time I get to do the legs I'm in the meh mode and squiggle some lines and call it quits. Really need to stop doing that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

crime fighting hog posted:

Coffeeus Stainus Black Templar Champion

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

nice stuff duders

cfh: If I can suggest anything, it would be to either start with a darker grey thats less contrasty, or keep the highlights a lot thinner.

I was perusing TGN as I do most mornings because I am a true nerd, and found some interesting things

Dark age is going to do this model:

mongo. yeah, gotta have mongo

And these, hosed if I know what they are but they are cool
http://www.dragonbloodminis.com/

and this
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/wolsung-miniatures-thorvald-nielsgaard-p-290.html

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 17, 2009

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Finished my first Malifaux model, Lady "backpain" Justice, pre-basing and sealing.

Thankfully the next model I'm working on, Judge, has a lot less detail.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Looks cool man, you got all the little buckles and details and stuff, which are freaking tiny on malifaux models. The hair looks good, I figured that would be the most difficult part of that particular mini.

So how are you doing the bases?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Just a sandy / desert theme for the Guild. Simpler that what I'm going to do for the M&SU and Outcasts.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Just a little something for the thread. Haven't painted much recently, and I nearly forgot how relaxing it is. One day job, not including the converting and sculpting (probably a week in total). I also decided to try out the "mushrooms on base" schtick that was quite popular a while back.

(Please alert me if this is breaking frames, it *shouldn't* but just in case, I rather not cop a ban)

Self-Assessment

Things I liked:

1. Face, goddamn I finally painted a face which looks decent from all angles. Previously, nearly all my faces looked okay from the front, but the moment you looked at the face at an angle, you started seeing odd lines and paint borders. Also managed finally get some highlights in on the eyes, now only have to work on painting coloured irises.

2. Hair, I'll admit I cheated and looked around online for a technique, but as my first attempt at blonde hair, I really like it.

Things I didn't like:

1. Colours, a little too bright for my liking. I thought of trying to do a very muted, "realistic" scheme, but somehow it all got lost halfway and I started slapping on the reds and golds. I need to exercise more control :saddowns:

2. Gem areas, I need to buy some proper brush-on gloss. Spraying into the can lid and applying it just isn't working right.

Anyway, enough :downswords:, any thoughts from the goonmind?

P.S KingMob - Really like the figure, nice smooth paintjob, especially on the blacks. Only thing I feel is that the hair seems to blend into the skin shade, but that might just be the lighting.

P.P.S - VVVVVVVV It's pretty much an artifact of the photography (and the brightness/contrast manipulation in Photoshop), the rings around her eyes aren't noticeable in reality.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 18, 2009

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Looks good, though I can't look at her face and not see :what:

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I have two small bottles of gesso gathering dust in my closet. To me a spray primer works just fine, I only break that gesso out if the weather is lovely and I HAVE to prime.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I used to be all about gesso but honestly it really does suck, especially for anything with large flat surfaces. It also dries with a weird texture that sometimes shows through paint jobs. I'd rather wait for a decent day outside to spray prime then deal with gesso anymore.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A soldier of 7 Platoon, G Coy., the 7th Regiment of Foot*, yesterday:

*Lost to the Emperor's Light following catastrophic moral failiure.

Ignore the mold lines, Pig Iron use some form of indestructitanium for their components and I undercoated them before getting decent files.

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.

frest posted:

finished a bunch of poo poo recently, took pictures. Like this Deva Avenger and a Barbarian for 4e D&D

I choo-choo-choose you

Small world. I actually ended up using the same Reaper model for my deva avenger (with a sword swap from an old 2nd edition CSM sprue, no less).

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Ceritus posted:

Small world. I actually ended up using the same Reaper model for my deva avenger (with a sword swap from an old 2nd edition CSM sprue, no less).
I had considered trying to swap the weapon with a greataxe, or something more "great-weapony" than what he comes with, but decided to err on the side of not having to gently caress with the model too much. To me, it seems like a really great thematic avenger :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Here is my new desk:

I want to use it for painting as well as for working, but the light in my room is not very good. I'm looking for some clip-on lamps to attach to the side struts (probably one on each side, hopefully flexible ones.)

I'm worried about the possibility of conventional lamps getting too hot and a) making the desk uncomfortable to work at or b) scorch the wood or c) cause paint to dry too fast while painting. Is this a reasonable concern in a space this small?

Along the same lines, I see a lot of LED lights advertised which obviously do not get anywhere near as hot, but I had a look at one in a store and even though it had a lot of individual LEDs (15 or so) the light seemed very feeble. Has anyone had experience with LED lights, or even clip-on flexible LED lights for painting?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

just get a 60w clear-light reveal bulb and a clip on lamp. it won't damage the wood since the source of the heat isn't the clip, but the bulb, which should be on a flexible neck away from the actual wood.

Acrylic miniature paint dries really fast, period. Lamp heat isn't really an issue and I paint basically directly under a lamp because I am a blind moleperson in a subterranean cave.

or get a swing arm one from walmart for 10 bucks or whatever. really you don't need to overthink things

LED lights like for lamps are really only good for spotlights and are like 10x as expensive as regular bulbs.

Just get a high quality incandescent bulb and a regular lamp. Clear light, not yellow light makes a big difference when you're obsessing over colors

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

PV, can you perchance recall your formula for the blue?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

army painter blue spray
wash of khador red highlight (orange)
wash of thinned brown ink
heavy drybrush of enchanted blue
enchanted blue+menoth white highlight (feathered on)
sharp edge highlight of 1:1 enchanted+mwh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are those water effects on the base or painted?

• Locked thread