Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Getting rid of a 7-yr-old particleboard "computer desk" and replacing it with this old teacher's desk. Bought it today, having it delivered tomorrow. Surface is 60"X34", which is ample for the laptop and phone which will be its only permanent residents.

edit: real-wood snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

beefnoodle posted:

That is a really nice looking desk! It would be a shame to stick a normal looking desktop on that. Although you'll have to get a really fancy looking wooden laptop stand.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Fancy-looking wooden laptop stands are what moms and Xmas catalogs were made for.

bavid
Jul 28, 2003
That looks great. I love my enormous walnut desk, and don't know if I can ever go back to something less solid.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Think a bigger desk is in order.
(Not really, hopefully the laptop will sell because after using the netbook, it seems obnoxiously large).

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
For those of you with nice, controlled, organized cables, can you post some pictures? Looking for some examples of managing my cables on the back of my desk instead of the child strangling mess I currently have sitting on my floor. When I jump in there to clean it all up, there is probably a dead cat in there somewhere...

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

CodeJanitor posted:

For those of you with nice, controlled, organized cables, can you post some pictures? Looking for some examples of managing my cables on the back of my desk instead of the child strangling mess I currently have sitting on my floor. When I jump in there to clean it all up, there is probably a dead cat in there somewhere...

Split loom tubing and velcro bands. Learn it, live it, love it.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Rand McNally posted:

(Not really, hopefully the laptop will sell because after using the netbook, it seems obnoxiously large).

What kind of desk is this?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

timb posted:

Split loom tubing and velcro bands. Learn it, live it, love it.

Learning cable lacing is useful too. I dream of opportunities to lace cables now.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

CodeJanitor posted:

I'm using a rain gutter, it's rather easy to implement and keeps the cables accessible.

huineng
Dec 4, 2002

The dead do not improve

CodeJanitor posted:

I use a rack from IKEA mounted underneath my desk. I just ran all data/audio cables up in it, then all power cables. Still had room to shove the power strip in it. There are probably cleaner ways to do it, but this got everything up off of the floor pretty quickly.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

It Freshens! posted:

More importantly, it's time to con someone with any car at all into helping me

I could try if you're in Houston, though I do drive a Rabbbit, I was able to fit a boxed 42" TV in it a few weeks ago.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Crush posted:

What kind of desk is this?

It's the $20 special at XS Cargo, a Canadian discount chain.

It's tiny (obviously) and is similar to the bargain run-of-the-mill Wal-Mart special, but of slightly higher quality.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Rand McNally posted:

It's tiny (obviously) and is similar to the bargain run-of-the-mill Wal-Mart special, but of slightly higher quality.

That table looks like it'd break after about 3 days.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

Rand McNally posted:

What are the wallpapers for the laptops?

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Lediur posted:

What are the wallpapers for the laptops?

Netbook wallpaper is from here.

Laptop wallpaper is here.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
Desk found in the trash, and scrap plywood make a great stand for my second monitor/TV!

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
My brother's desktop at work:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

He uses synergy with one kb/mouse and can work on any of them.
I'll post some of my own home later today. I finally got my new Dell 24inch and wanted to put it together first.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dobermaniac posted:

I'll post some of my own home later today. I finally got my new Dell 24inch and wanted to put it together first.

He should put the speaker bar on the horizontal monitor. Unless, you know, his ears are on his head and chin.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Dobermaniac posted:

He's looking at a car that's for sale by my friend John, who lives two streets east of me.

Small world.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I've been thinking of getting a desk mounted articulating arm for the 27" iMac I purchased. However, it weighs 30.5 pounds and I can't really find arms gnarly enough to handle it. I have an equally gnarly metal desk to mount it to that weighs about 300 pounds with a lot of overhang on the tabletop. Any recommendations?

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

SimpleCoax posted:

I've been thinking of getting a desk mounted articulating arm for the 27" iMac I purchased. However, it weighs 30.5 pounds and I can't really find arms gnarly enough to handle it. I have an equally gnarly metal desk to mount it to that weighs about 300 pounds with a lot of overhang on the tabletop. Any recommendations?

Remember not to count the weight of the stand. I'm looking for an arm for the 24" Cinema Display and tried asking at the Apple store if anyone knew how much the stand actually weighs. As I expected no one did however one guy guessed it weighed maybe 3-4 pounds which is perfect for me since that puts it just under the limit for the one I want (limit is 20 pounds, Cinema Display is 21 with the stand). This Ergotron one has a 30 pound limit so it should be fine not counting the stand.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Monoprice have a couple that handle displays up to 33lbs.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Tore out the old L-shaped particle board computer desk and hutch, packed/discarded a lot of stuff from the home office, and moved in an old desk and a new (to me) desk to reconfigure the room.

Back (behind me in the first photo) table has a couple of PCs under it and a work laptop. The new walnut desk has the Macbook Pro and modestly-sixed Dell LCD. Can't decide whether to ditch the wired keyboard and go all-bluetooth on the new desk.

The old MacBook Pro across the room has been repurposed as a dedicated iTunes server. I don't watch a lot of TV, so the little one next to it suffices for news, etc.

There's a bit of a white balance problem in some of the shots. The walls aren't green!

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

24w" + 19", main screen is wall mounted so I can slide the keyboard in underneath if I need some space. Cables are gathered in an IKEA cable tray underneath the table. (Not that it helps the clutter up top).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

updated desktop, now with 13" MBP, 24" LED Cinema display, Apogee Duet, etc

Still need to get that poster matted, and get the speakers up on the wall off the desk so I can get a stand for the macbook and run it open.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

24w" + 19", main screen is wall mounted so I can slide the keyboard in underneath if I need some space. Cables are gathered in an IKEA cable tray underneath the table. (Not that it helps the clutter up top).

What speaker stands/mounts are those? They look great.

Fishn
Oct 24, 2009

A mess? Yes. But it does it's job, which is to take up as much of my time as possible.

dark warrior
Aug 4, 2007

Fishn posted:

A mess? Yes. But it does it's job, which is to take up as much of my time as possible.

That's a huge tower.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Not very impressive. I need to order me two 24s.

dark warrior posted:

That's a huge tower.

I'm so sorry :(

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 25, 2009

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Awkward

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

What speaker stands/mounts are those? They look great.

Just some noname stuff (http://www.kjell.com/?item=57268) from the local equivalent of Fry's with a piece of hardwood to raise the speakers a bit.

Beska
May 16, 2007

I'm a Mac.

Newly updated to Snow Leopard!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CodeJanitor posted:

One option that hasn't been mentioned is using 2 ring lever arch binders. Just take the binder of the binder book and screw it under your desk. I also have a power extension cord that I have nailed under the desk with normal cable hook nails and then I just use cable ties to attach other cables to that one extension cord.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Saukkis posted:

One option that hasn't been mentioned is using 2 ring lever arch binders.
This is genius.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Finally got my xbox 360 and work computer home. Left to Right:
Dell s2409w with Xbox, Macbook(to 2409), XPS1530, Dell 17inch

The xps is my work computer so I can work from home on Fridays! I'm using synergy with the xps as a host and mac as client.
Yes.. I do have a griffin iknob of love. I just use it to scroll in web browsers.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

beefnoodle posted:

There's a bit of a white balance problem in some of the shots. The walls aren't green!

That's a bummer. The walls look good green!

notro man
Aug 23, 2006
I think a camera will be the next thing I buy. Tired of taking pictures with my cell phone.

KingOMtDew
Dec 29, 2008
Desk, with craptastic homemade shelf holding printer and radios. Computer is the big, shiny toolbox.

Wires behind the desk, oh so ugly (and dusty).

KingOMtDew fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xydrine
Jul 5, 2009

FISA Approved...

Jealous Cow posted:

What the hell? :lol:

Some of these pictures make me really want to clean up my setup. But alas, :effort: is standing in the way.