Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Agreed, I liked both of the new releases just fine. Nothing groundbreaking, but they came back cold and black and evil as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
I've been listening to Mayhem's Chimera album recently. I forgot how much this album kicks rear end and Mayhem's recent material kicks rear end.

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009

Funeral Mist posted:

I've been listening to Mayhem's Chimera album recently. I forgot how much this album kicks rear end and Mayhem's recent material kicks rear end.

Ordo Ad Chao is awesome as well, real bummer that Blasphemer is gone.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

corpserot posted:

Ordo Ad Chao is awesome as well, real bummer that Blasphemer is gone.

Yeah I'm hoping we'll get some new news on the band this summer on whether a new album is in the works or not.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

WatermelonGun posted:

I really like both the new Immortal and the new Gorgoroth :(

They both have some pretty weak tracks, but I wouldn't say it's enough to leave me disappointed.

And "Satan-Prometheus" loving destroys.

Actually, I was thinking the new Gorgoroth has a "Reinkaos" feel to it. Mid Tempo music with catchy riffs and absolutely boring drums. I know it's because of that drummer, he's just so boring. Let's hope that he never gets a paying gig from one of the big great bands again.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Neither of the gorgoroth or immortal albums is anywhere near as good as Pest's Tenebris Obortis. I mean, I fully expected that, but more of you really should check it out.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trV6Ewu2M18

Why does this exist, and perhaps more importantly, what on earth was the creator thinking? This video creates a deep philosophical crisis, which is furthered by the startling atmosphere of the song itself.

I just wanted to youtube a song to show it to someone and this is what I get?!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

catbread.jpg posted:

Fan made videos are terrible?!? :aaa:

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
I thought it was great and favorited it.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
Anybody got any recommendations for some black metal like Satyricon's Nemesis Divina? Usually I prefer more straight up black metal stuff like early Mayhem and Immortal but unlike most symphonic black metal, the stuff in Nemesis Divina actually seems more or less apart of the song and not a gimmick.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

scrabbleship posted:

Anybody got any recommendations for some black metal like Satyricon's Nemesis Divina? Usually I prefer more straight up black metal stuff like early Mayhem and Immortal but unlike most symphonic black metal, the stuff in Nemesis Divina actually seems more or less apart of the song and not a gimmick.

Check out Over Björgvin Gråter Himmerik by Taake. It always reminds me of Nemesis Divina. I asked a while ago if anyone knew anything else that sounded like this but got no feedback.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Actually, I was thinking the new Gorgoroth has a "Reinkaos" feel to it. Mid Tempo music with catchy riffs and absolutely boring drums. I know it's because of that drummer, he's just so boring. Let's hope that he never gets a paying gig from one of the big great bands again.

I like the drumming a lot on the album. Very straight-forward, no bullshit, makes it sound religious.

The Gorgoroth album is very good.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

NicktheBishop posted:

Check out Over Björgvin Gråter Himmerik by Taake. It always reminds me of Nemesis Divina. I asked a while ago if anyone knew anything else that sounded like this but got no feedback.

Seems your posting messed up the formatting or something so here is the name he meant if you can't google taake, Over Bjørgvin Graater Himmerik.

corpserot
Sep 29, 2009
New Dark Funeral music video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slPYjOg4I0Q

bij
Feb 24, 2007

corpserot posted:

New Dark Funeral music video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slPYjOg4I0Q

I wonder how they convinced David Lynch to lend them the Harkonnen costumes.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

NicktheBishop posted:

Check out Over Bjørgvin Graater Himmerik by Taake. It always reminds me of Nemesis Divina. I asked a while ago if anyone knew anything else that sounded like this but got no feedback.

I'm listening to this band and album for the first time, and like it/them a lot. Is this a pretty good place to start with Taake?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Their 2005 album Doedskvad is good too. Nattestid Ser Porten Vid from 1999 is really good but the production is lovely. That's all I've heard. Just relistening to it while I post makes me wonder why I haven't listened to these albums more- they're loving awesome.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Taake is a great band, one of the best current Norwegian bands in my opinion. In addition to the recommendations already made, their eponymous album from 2008 is really good as well.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Yah, the guy behind Taake is a bit of a ridiculous assclown but he has not yet made an album I haven't liked.

And hey, this is the perfect time of year to load 'em up on the mp3 player. Thanks for the reminder.

Groke fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 9, 2009

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Cool, cool. For some idiotic reason, I rarely check out recommendations until about he 10th time they're posted. Makes no sense.

I'll be picking up at least two of those albums next week.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

NicktheBishop posted:

Their 2005 album Doedskvad is good too. Nattestid Ser Porten Vid from 1999 is really good but the production is lovely. That's all I've heard. Just relistening to it while I post makes me wonder why I haven't listened to these albums more- they're loving awesome.

Doedskvad is fantastic. I can't recommend it enough.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Angmar's new album Zurück in Die Unterwelt is loving amazing and any of y'all who like WitTR need to check it out immediately.

(EvilMojoJoJo I'm looking at you)

BosendorferIstKrieg
Apr 1, 2008

holy/violence
new Portal is leaked. drat. I like that this sounds like a far better Blut Aus Nord than Blut Aus Nord could ever be. twisted riffs.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Caucasus Belli posted:

Angmar's new album Zurück in Die Unterwelt is loving amazing and any of y'all who like WitTR need to check it out immediately.

OK fine I will do my metal homework you slave driver you :rolleyes:

;)

Which Ossadogva album was it you recommended as well, instead of Born From A Tomb?

You, in return, need to listen to Nightbringer - Death And The Black Work. Lovely dense slab of an album which reminds me a lot of Darkspace. And Nyktalgia, too, they're gorgeous DSBM. I don't see either of those on your Last.fm charts so hopefully they'll be new to you.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

wittr is a code word to get me excited so I will definitely be wanting an earful of this :)

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Which Ossadogva album was it you recommended as well, instead of Born From A Tomb?

IA Ancient One, the definitive Ossadogva (and also a free download)

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
For anyone into depressive stuff, Miserere Luminis just released their debut album, and it's sounding pretty drat good. The band is a side-project featuring musicians from Gris and Sombres Forêts.

Also, I'm seeing Gorgoroth in Trondheim next monday, after seeing them twice with Gaahl and King. Even though I was a bit underwhelmed by the new album, I must admit I'm really looking forwards to seeing them with Pest.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
Jesus Christ. The Peste Noire wiki was obviously created by a retarded fan. I was almost ashamed of liking them after reading all of that.

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what
So, I just got into Walknut and their album, Graveforests And Their Shadows, and wow I'm really digging it. I love the, well I can't really describe it, the sort of distorted noise in the background. I guess that's why they call it atmospheric because basically I could listen to this forever.

Any recommendations on similar atmospheric stuff with like, that noisy distored sound in the background? I can't quite qualify it right now but perhaps it does have a name...

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Kaiho posted:

This.

Also, is second guitarist related to Till Lindeman.

I didn't feel comfortable asking about the sexual classification of their bass player -- she wore a short skirt over leggings on stage, so I'm inclined to say woman -- but Ar is not related to Till Lindeman, or any other member of Rammstein, or any other German musician. They also wanted to know why Till, of all people, and where you got that idea in the first place.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Sturmtiger IV posted:

So, I just got into Walknut and their album, Graveforests And Their Shadows, and wow I'm really digging it. I love the, well I can't really describe it, the sort of distorted noise in the background. I guess that's why they call it atmospheric because basically I could listen to this forever.

Any recommendations on similar atmospheric stuff with like, that noisy distored sound in the background? I can't quite qualify it right now but perhaps it does have a name...

I'm looking for something similar and would love to hear any recommendations. I'm throwing these out there in the off chance you haven't heard them already:
- Any Darkspace
- Drudkh (particularly Forgotten Legends)
- Some of The Angelic Process feels a little reminiscent to some parts on GATS

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Guzwar posted:

I didn't feel comfortable asking about the sexual classification of their bass player -- she wore a short skirt over leggings on stage, so I'm inclined to say woman -- but Ar is not related to Till Lindeman, or any other member of Rammstein, or any other German musician. They also wanted to know why Till, of all people, and where you got that idea in the first place.

Holy poo poo you actually asked.

I just thought they look alike is all :3

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Yeah, I figured one weird question in the interview would be alright. And the theories we threw around for why anyone would ask that were A) Germans look alike, B) the question was thought up in a drunken stupor, and C) all Germans are somehow related to one another.

They didn't seem offended by the question (thankfully), just confused.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The rough clips from the band's myspace sound rather promising...

DIMMU BORGIR Frontman, Ex-GORGOROTH Bassist Join Forces In OV HELL :black101:

Out of Norway's biggest and darkest metal bands rises OV HELL. This
group of Satan's all-stars has been sharpening their teeth in some of
black metal's most influential bands for many years. Known as key
figures in bands such as DIMMU BORGIR and GORGOROTH, Shagrath and King
have come together to bring forward a new chapter in Norwegian black
metal history. OV HELL will carry on in the same tradition for which
King and Shagrath are known, but the collaboration between the two
will mark a new era for them both.

Frost, Ice Dale and Teloch have been recruited for the first
full-length release. The album, whcih is due in early 2010 via Indie
Recordings, will contain all of the power and blast beats worthy of
their evil pedigrees. Expect an assault on all false gods and
hypocrisy that is of this world today.

"The first OV HELL release will contain music I've worked on in my
GORGOROTH and GOD SEED years," says King. "It's been a little hell to
actually see this music form into a band, so the name of the band is
quite suitable. Through the first song I got from Shagrath, I knew
that he would be the perfect man to join forces with. He has strong
individual qualities and a strong will to power. I am very positive
that when we finish up this album it will be an album that won't sound
like anything we have done before, and with a quality that won't stand
back from anything presented in black metal earlier!"

"With both of our demanding music careers and other projects, timing
was not on our side," adds Shagrath. "After last year's Inferno
festival, King and I yet again joined forces to brainstorm our need to
collaborate our passion for dark art. Over the course of the past
year, King sent me demo ideas that were so inspiring it made me put my
skeptic feelings aside. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have another
black metal project but my unquenchable thirst to explore my darkest
beast launched the birth OV HELL. The majestic OV HELL has become a
band that reflects our roots, raw, ugly, arrogantly blasphemous with
uncompromising truth from two influential Norwegian musicians needing
to express our primitive side, straight out OV HELL."

Two new tracks, "Devil's Harlot" and "Ghosting", from the yet-untitled
upcoming album, has been uploaded to the band's MySpace page.

https://www.myspace.com/ovhell

OV HELL studio lineup:

* Shagrath (DIMMU BORGIR, CHROME DIVISION) - Vocals
* King (GOD SEED, GORGOROTH, JOTUNSPOR, I, SAHG, AUDREY HORNE) - Bass
* Ice Dale (ENSLAVED, I, AUDREY HORNE, TRINACRIA, DEMONAZ) - Guitar
* Frost (SATYRICON, 1349) - Drums
* Teloch (NIDINGR, GOD SEED, 1349, UMORAL) – Guitar

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

OV HELL

I'm skeptical. I can't loving stand Shagrath, but the rest of the line-up is solid as hell. With King's writing, along with Frost's, Ice's, and Teloch's playing, this band should be a home run. Don't know though, something isn't sitting right with me.

I'll admit the tracks sound pretty good, and the album will probably be worth a listen.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Sturmtiger IV posted:

I took a swing at Walknut based on this as I haven't been all too keen on the ideology of the band before. I really like the bass drone in the background, I know what you mean. You've had some recommendations posted but they don't have the same kind of depth and warmth to it (maybe excepting The Angelic Process, but that's not really metal and certainly not BM).

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
That Ov Hell stuff is almost as terrible as the promo pics they've used.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Not Very Metal posted:

I'm skeptical. I can't loving stand Shagrath, but the rest of the line-up is solid as hell. With King's writing, along with Frost's, Ice's, and Teloch's playing, this band should be a home run. Don't know though, something isn't sitting right with me.
I have to agree, the lineup seems amazing with the exception of Shagrath. Seriously, why? He's a terrible vocalist.

Kaiho posted:

I really like the bass drone in the background, I know what you mean. You've had some recommendations posted but they don't have the same kind of depth and warmth to it (maybe excepting The Angelic Process, but that's not really metal and certainly not BM).

Yea, the recommendations aren't the best. It's hard to find a band with a similar sound, I'd really love to hear more suggestions because this has been one of my favorite CDs in a VERY long time. The guitar tone on the production is just massive. I can't get enough of it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

So, my brothers and sisters in :black101:

I need some more melodic/folk tinged black metal. I'm a tad burnt out on the Unholy Trinity of Borknagar/Vintersorg/Solefald, and I'm looking for something different. Bonus points if they shriek in foreign languages and/or use bizarre instruments. (For the record, I also like Darkthrone).

Something like the bastard child of Darkthrone and Alcest would be ideal. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Qu Appelle posted:

So, my brothers and sisters in :black101:

I need some more melodic/folk tinged black metal. I'm a tad burnt out on the Unholy Trinity of Borknagar/Vintersorg/Solefald, and I'm looking for something different. Bonus points if they shriek in foreign languages and/or use bizarre instruments. (For the record, I also like Darkthrone).

Something like the bastard child of Darkthrone and Alcest would be ideal. Thanks!

I just heard Taake for the first time last week or so. It sounds pretty folky, and their albums are all covered in runes and awesome poo poo.