Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Why didn't you just put the Third Man case on top of one of the others and compare it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I did, he said he wanted pictures though.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thanks for those pictures. I'll probably end up getting replacements once more are released.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

There's a picture of the inside of the Kurosawa box up.

It really does look like a shoebox...

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

FitFortDanga posted:

There's a picture of the inside of the Kurosawa box up.

It really does look like a shoebox...

Yeah, a shoebox full of AWESOME! :hellyeah:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

I know it's an aesthetic thing, but seeing those discs spread out like that just makes me think of them getting scratches.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I know it's an aesthetic thing, but seeing those discs spread out like that just makes me think of them getting scratches.

Yeah, it drives me nuts too.

In response to a question on the FB page about 47 Ronin, they replied: "More Mizoguchi is definitely a priority." Yay!

Someone asked if they had any plans for Zombieland :ughh:

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Some of the responses to the Kurosawa box picture astound me. Well, for people who are fans of Criterion anyway.

quote:

first.

quote:

If you have an extra one laying around the office, feel free to send it to me!

quote:

Like Kristal "said" I already own eight of his "greatest hits"

Edit: Heh. On the Monsoon Wedding comments:

"The Criterion Collection" posted:

You guys should start a forum or something where you can do this all day long.

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 22, 2009

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah, it drives me nuts too.

In response to a question on the FB page about 47 Ronin, they replied: "More Mizoguchi is definitely a priority." Yay!

Someone asked if they had any plans for Zombieland :ughh:

I realize this was like months ago now but you recommended I get El Norte on blu-ray. I finally got around to watching it and just wanted to say thanks for the suggestion, I've not been a big fan of Spanish movies but I thought it was a great, beautifully shot, and heartbreaking movie.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Out of curiosity would anyone like to buy my Repulsion Bluray? At the AES convention two weeks ago I was given another copy signed by the engineer that worked on the new edition. I don't have plat or anything so if interested reply here I guess.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

got dat wmd posted:

Out of curiosity would anyone like to buy my Repulsion Bluray? At the AES convention two weeks ago I was given another copy signed by the engineer that worked on the new edition. I don't have plat or anything so if interested reply here I guess.

I might be interested but I'm a massive cheapskate, so there's that

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Eh, oh well.

I wish more Audrey films besides Charade were Criterions. :(

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
Which Audrey Hepburn movies would you want exactly? I'm not particularly fond of her as an actress.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Which Audrey Hepburn movies would you want exactly? I'm not particularly fond of her as an actress.

I'd love Two for the Road or Roman Holiday, personally. Or Sabrina.

But most Hepburn movies are big moneymakers for whoever puts them on DVD, so I can't imagine them handing over that easily. We just lucked out that Charade is public domain (and, as such, really should be made Blu soon...).

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Looking at the new Kurosawa box picture again, it looks as though the discs have an increasing number of lines on them. The first movie has one line, the 25th has 25 lines, etc.
I personally like this whole minimalist design thing they've got going. But I happen to be fond of minimalism.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Third Man DVD and Blu-Ray are out of print. If you don't have a copy yet, better try to grab one now.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

The Third Man DVD and Blu-Ray are out of print. If you don't have a copy yet, better try to grab one now.

Aw poo poo. I'm switching over to blu-ray later this year/early next year and this is my second favorite movie, I better get on this...

Also, did I miss something, or was there not a post in this thread about Ray movies definitely coming in the near future? I'm so excited.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

doctor thodt posted:

Only CC Blu-Ray I have so far. Hopefully it gains more value than my copy of Straw Dogs

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wow, that totally loving sucks, particularly considering all the work they just put into making the Blu-Ray.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Wow, I really thought they'd be in print longer than this. Glad I grabbed a copy a while back.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Aw poo poo. I'm switching over to blu-ray later this year/early next year and this is my second favorite movie, I better get on this...

Also, did I miss something, or was there not a post in this thread about Ray movies definitely coming in the near future? I'm so excited.

I posted about it in the Ray thread.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Motherfucker! I'm glad I have my DVD at least. :(

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Macrame_God posted:

Motherfucker! I'm glad I have my DVD at least. :(

The BluRay can be bought from Amazon if anybody is looking for a copy.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'll go out of stock in a jiffy though, so hop on that while you still can. Does anyone know why they lost the rights to the film?

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 25, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Ran notwithstanding, is this the first Criterion Blu-Ray to go out of print?

EDIT: Spelling :eng101:

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 25, 2009

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

doctor thodt posted:

gently caress, I wanted to wait until Christmas to get this. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose. Thanks for the heads up.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Macrame_God posted:

Ran notwithstanding, is this the first Criterion Blu-Ray to go out of print?
Website seems to confirm that as such. Could it be because of this thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3219536

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion confirmed The Third Man is OOP on Facebook:

"Not a typo, unfortunately. We'd keep it in print if we could."

The Third Man, Contempt, Ran, and Nights of Cabiria are all StudioCanal properties, so I'm guessing they're doing a slow expiration of rights. FYI, here's the rest of the films they licensed from SC (and sub-licensors), in case THEY go out of print:

The Man Who Fell to Earth (Anchor Bay) [+Blu]
Variety Lights [+Essential Art House]
Grand Illusion [+Essential Art House]
Peeping Tom
Trafic
That Obscure Object of Desire (Rialto)
The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie (Rialto)
Diary of a Chambermaid (Rialto)
The Phantom of Liberty (Rialto)
Billy Liar (Rialto)
Bob Le Flambeur (Rialto)
Le Trou
Hopscotch
Le Cercle Rouge (Rialto)
The White Shiek
Last Year at Marienbad (Rialto) [+Blu]
Port of Shadows
A Woman is a Woman (Rialto)
Touchez Pas Au Grisbi (Rialto)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Anchor Bay)
The Tales of Hoffmann [+Essential Art House]
The Fallen Idol
Army of Shadows (Rialto)
La Haine (Universal)
The Milky Way (Rialto)
Mafioso (Rialto)
Pierrot Le Fou [+Blu]
Le Doulos (Rialto)
Le Corbeau
Quai Des Orfevres

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they'll still send out the replacement cases for it.

I paypaled them last week but haven't received any shipping notification yet.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Just ordered Third Man Blu-Ray and Contempt last night from dvdplanet. Thought about picking up Marienbad's blu-ray too but I've heard some great things about SC's release so I'll hold off for now. I think I'll pick up a few more of those titles at the next big sale -- Peeping Tom, Pierrot le Fou and some Bunuel probably.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
from the Facebook page:

Eric Dienstfrey posted:

I hate to be negative, but I just want to make sure you NEVER release a film by Joe Swanberg... ever. Sorry to be negative, but I'm worried it might happen.

:lol:

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion confirmed The Third Man is OOP on Facebook:

"Not a typo, unfortunately. We'd keep it in print if we could."

list of good movies

Ugh, how depressing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just to let you guys know, starting November 10th, Barnes & Noble will be having the 50% off Criterion sale again. It will only be lasting for two weeks this time, so start making those lists.

Just in time for the Wings of Desire bluray, so I'm happy.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I went and ordered The Third Man blu-ray from Amazon.com anyway, I suppose I could wait until the 10th but I don't feel like risking it. It's the third time I've bought it, I sold the original version and still have the reissue. From the places I've looked it seems to have disappeared entirely from the nation of Canada.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Origami Dali posted:

Just to let you guys know, starting November 10th, Barnes & Noble will be having the 50% off Criterion sale again. It will only be lasting for two weeks this time, so start making those lists.

Does this usually work online too? I'll be on a cruise that first week and don't want to miss out. If so, do they usually keep restocking throughout the special? Or do you have to camp the site the night before it starts?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Shampy posted:

Does this usually work online too? I'll be on a cruise that first week and don't want to miss out. If so, do they usually keep restocking throughout the special? Or do you have to camp the site the night before it starts?

The last time this happened, it applied to the website as well. I imagine it'll be the same this time. As for the restocking , I'm not sure, but I doubt anything that runs out before 2 weeks will be able to be restocked before the sale ends. Still, except for probably The Third Man (if it hasn't happened already), I don't really see this happening.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shampy posted:

It works online and they do restock, but it might behoove you to actually visit a store or two. If you purchase a B&N membership (which is fully refundable within the first month), you can buy regularly-priced ($40) Criterions for $13 apiece in-store, versus about $16.20 each online. Those few extra bucks add up if you're going to buy a ton of them like I am.

Origami, where'd you hear about that sale? A B&N employee told me they were having one around that time, but that it was going to be Buy 2 Get 1 Free.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Officially marking this on my calender. Time to beef up my collection again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

:suicide:

On the bright side, I'll use this sale to buy some Christmas gifts for my family. Flowers of St. Francis for my mother (she's religious), M for my uncle (movie buff), Richard III for my aunt (loves the bard), and scatter Beauty and the Beast, The Naked Prey, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, and For All Mankind among my younger cousins.

I think I got all I wanted in the last sale, although I might pick up the EAH Wild Strawberries to tide me over until the inevitable Blu release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm totally addicted to their Facebook page now. Just today I've found out that there will be more Von Trier, Fanny And Alexander and Breathless are coming to Blu-Ray at some point, and no, there won't be any more Greenaway.