Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enclave
Aug 26, 2004
"You have no life experience and no clue. Loser! " -There, is that a better tagline?

Capnbigboobies posted:

Try calling the AUS number and asking? 0011800 – 99 11 22 11 ? Is this it? I have no idea how your crazy numbering system works.

Holy jesus Win7 pro full is 450 down under. Jesus...

Yeh I know, considering we have almost reached parity to the US dollar I find it hard to swallow. We get screwed constantly though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Honey Im Homme posted:

(not mine:()

Theres already some vids on youtube.

Party Pack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g144cPP8DWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjET1TrD5Oc

Oem unboxing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRxKFAk8UY

Home premium:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMKhIruQ6V0

There was even one video of some guy that looked like he was unboxing a burned DVD he bought off of ebay... or one he made himself, who knows.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSQaffB2fe8

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
:siren:IT SEEMS SOME OF YOU ARE CONFUSED ABOUT UPGRADING FROM XP:siren:

Here's how it works:

1) You put in your Windows 7 DVD.
2) You start setup
3) You say you want to upgrade
4) All your files get saved, with system folders being put into WINDOWS.OLD if you still want them and Windows 7 does a clean install
5) You're done! No formatting was neccesary.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

fishmech posted:

:siren:IT SEEMS SOME OF YOU ARE CONFUSED ABOUT UPGRADING FROM XP:siren:

Here's how it works:

1) You put in your Windows 7 DVD.
2) You start setup
3) You say you want to upgrade
4) All your files get saved, with system folders being put into WINDOWS.OLD if you still want them and Windows 7 does a clean install
5) You're done! No formatting was neccesary.

Unless you're like me and going from 32-bit to 64-bit in which case it's impossible for me to do that.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Cizzo posted:

Unless you're like me and going from 32-bit to 64-bit in which case it's impossible for me to do that.
Have you actually tried, or are you just going off some Mac propganda website's horror stories?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cizzo posted:

But it isn't. You just do a 'clean install' from within XP, that backs up all your files to windows.old. There is no other way to use an upgrade version from xp afterall.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cizzo posted:

That's loving bullshit.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

fishmech posted:

That's loving bullshit.

What the gently caress? Am I just a fail at computers because I thought it was impossible to do an upgrade from 32-bit to a 64-bit OS...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cizzo posted:

What the gently caress? Am I just a fail at computers because I thought it was impossible to do an upgrade from 32-bit to a 64-bit OS...

The key thing here is the word upgrade. You cannot upgrade but you can use an upgrade version with a clean install.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
So basically all you need to do is reinstall all your programs and copy your settings from their old location? I have Vista Home Premium x64 and want to probably do a clean install so ensure no hitches occur and if I don't have to backup anything (I spent a few hours doing it a couple weeks ago and don't feel like doing it again if I don't have to) that'd be sweet.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

redeyes posted:

The key thing here is the word upgrade. You cannot upgrade but you can use an upgrade version with a clean install.
And it will still back up your old system files. You do NOT have to format from XP to 7, you just need to reinstall your programs.

Don't start spreading rumors you can't substantiate, this is what killed Vista.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Parachute Underwear posted:

So basically all you need to do is reinstall all your programs and copy your settings from their old location? I have Vista Home Premium x64 and want to probably do a clean install so ensure no hitches occur and if I don't have to backup anything (I spent a few hours doing it a couple weeks ago and don't feel like doing it again if I don't have to) that'd be sweet.

I would at least try the upgrade, it should work very well from vista 64. Failing that yes, you can do a clean install and just copy your files from windows.old and reinstall apps.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

I would at least try the upgrade, it should work very well from vista 64. Failing that yes, you can do a clean install and just copy your files from windows.old and reinstall apps.

Alright, thanks. It's finals week for me next week so I'll probably try the upgrade and do a clean install as a last resort. If ever something fucks up bad, can I just upgrade my existing 7 install and do a clean install from within itself? I have a Vista image I can just reapply if not, so it's not just a big deal.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cizzo posted:

Like I said, the Upgrade works by doing a Clean Install.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've been trying for a while to get this loving download copy of 7 unpacked and every time it trys to extract everything it comes up with this error:

I've tried extracting it in different folders to no avail. I'm running this as an administrator if that helps.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Parachute Underwear posted:

Alright, thanks. It's finals week for me next week so I'll probably try the upgrade and do a clean install as a last resort. If ever something fucks up bad, can I just upgrade my existing 7 install and do a clean install from within itself? I have a Vista image I can just reapply if not, so it's not just a big deal.

If it fucks up it will actually roll back to vista. I have seen it do so.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
what application are you using to unpack? and what folder is it trying to unpack into? Also is there enough space to hold the unzipped iso?

you :ninja: the different folders. what about space and permissions.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Urfdser posted:

what application are you using to unpack? and what folder is it trying to unpack into? Also is there enough space to hold the unzipped iso?

It's the way it came packaged. It's in two .box files and one .exe file

Running the .exe file unpacks the .boxes and right at the end of the progress bar it spits out that error. There's plenty of space and i'm just trying to extract it on my desktop. When I check permissions in other folders the Read only box keeps on coming up with a green square in it rather than a tick or just being blank.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Pyr0 posted:

I've been trying for a while to get this loving download copy of 7 unpacked and every time it trys to extract everything it comes up with this error:
What exactly did you download and from where? Do you use a FAT32 hard drive and is it trying to extract over 4 GB?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Swilo posted:

What exactly did you download and from where? Do you use a FAT32 hard drive and is it trying to extract over 4 GB?

I downloaded the Windows 7 ultimate steal student deal through Digital River from the UK. It's on an NTFS drive with loads of space.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Cizzo posted:

You may be having the same confusion I had a while back. When upgrading from 32 to 64 bit you have to boot off the install disc. You can't start the setup from within your current install like you can with the 32-bit version.

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004

Capnbigboobies posted:

I was going to do that website first. But it says its an upgrade. I didn't want to risk ending up with a lovely upgrade key. Calling MS directly will get you a retail disk for a FULL install disk/key. You have to pay local tax. Its cheaper too than that win741 if you want a disk shipped to you. They want 13 dollars extra. MS charges 5 dollars to ship you one.

EDIT: I would say https://www.win741.com is EW. They charge 13 dollars to ship you a disk and they say its an upgrade NOT a full install. I know you really don't need the disk, but its 5 bucks. MS method will allow you to download the iso if you want.

Party foul, I wish someone had posted this before I bought from win741 :( I paid the $10 extra to have a physical copy shipped to me, just out of having a repair disk. It's pretty much impossible to cancel with digital river, because it's complete rear end...

partiallypro fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 22, 2009

Epiq
Dec 3, 2005

This post is the best!

Pyr0 posted:

I've tried extracting it in different folders to no avail. I'm running this as an administrator if that helps.

I am having this exact same problem. Downloaded the Upgrade file/s (3gb total I believe) and every time I try to run it it spends a couple of minutes 'Unloading the Box' in a little dialog box then throws this at me when it reaches the end. I don't know if it's because it's on the desktop I downloaded it to or what but even changing the folder permissions for the whole hard drive this is confusing the gently caress out of me :(

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

If it fucks up it will actually roll back to vista. I have seen it do so.

Oh well I meant more like if 2 weeks down the road (when finals will be over and I actually have time to backup my poo poo) it starts running choppy.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Did they give you any special instructions, like unpack directly to a DVD or something like that? I've never heard of .box being used for anything but email, and the only other info I can find on that error is people having the same problem.

If all else fails get a copy of the RTM disc and use that.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Swilo posted:

I've never heard of .box being used for anything but email, and the only other info I can find on that error is people having the same problem.

If all else fails get a copy of the RTM disc and use that.

Same. You'll spend more time trying to unpack this thing than if you go download the RTM. I think someone hosted it on the last page.

Malay
Aug 31, 2003

A meeting of great minds.

Urfdser posted:

Same. You'll spend more time trying to unpack this thing than if you go download the RTM. I think someone hosted it on the last page.

I think a lot of us bought the Upgrade so downloading the RTM (which is a Full ISO) doesn't make a lot of sense. No one really knows if you can activate the RTM with an Upgrade key but most people think no.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Urfdser posted:

I think someone hosted it on the last page.
That was the RC, hosting the RTM or Retail images would be questionably illegal.

Malay posted:

I think a lot of us bought the Upgrade so downloading the RTM (which is a Full ISO) doesn't make a lot of sense.
A lot of reports from people contacting Digital River support claim that's actually the full installation, but I don't know if that's true yet or if it would apply to the european deal.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Malay posted:

I think a lot of us bought the Upgrade so downloading the RTM (which is a Full ISO) doesn't make a lot of sense. No one really knows if you can activate the RTM with an Upgrade key but most people think no.

Yes, it's an upgrade copy we have. So it would need to be able to be activated with an upgrade key.

Malay
Aug 31, 2003

A meeting of great minds.

Pyr0 posted:

Yes, it's an upgrade copy we have. So it would need to be able to be activated with an upgrade key.

Well at least you were able to download, something. I bought digital from the Microsoft Store and no idea when they are going to issue keys / downloads.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
[edit]woops

redeyes fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 22, 2009

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
Well it's 1 minute till midnight. Let's see if us Win741'ers get something out of it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cizzo posted:

Well it's 1 minute till midnight. Let's see if us Win741'ers get something out of it.

Microsoft doesn't go off eastern time.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft doesn't go off eastern time.

***INSERT DARTH VADER NOOO***

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma
How is it that England got it then?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

DocBrown posted:

How is it that England got it then?

Don't you remember they live in the future?

EDIT: Correction, like 5 hours ahead.

EDIT2: Correction 2, I failed.

Cizzo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 22, 2009

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

Cizzo posted:

Don't you remember they live in the future? They are a day ahead of us.

Or maybe: http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/10/19/2332251/Windows-7-Released-Early-In-UK

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma

quote:

It is understood that Microsoft has agreed to let some retailers send out copies early to avoid disappointment, and to make the UK the first country in the world to have Windows 7 in customers' hands."

They don't deserve that privilege!!!!!

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

jew$ posted:

Party foul, I wish someone had posted this before I bought from win741 :( I paid the $10 extra to have a physical copy shipped to me, just out of having a repair disk. It's pretty much impossible to cancel with digital river, because it's complete rear end...

Yeah sorry man. I assumed goons already knew about the phone option. That's why I waited so long to post it here. I figured it already was known. We shall find out if people are getting full installs or just upgrades in a few hours right?

I think it's possible to cancel. I have no idea it's too late but google searching came up with this.

quote:

Or you can submit a cancellation request using your e-mail to studentwindows.us@digitalriver.com instead and your order will be promptly canceled well within 24hrs.

You can Call Microsoft's Store directly at 1.877.696.7786 to place another order.

The BEST way to obtain the software is to call Microsoft at the number above. You can have the FULL Version of either Pro or Home shipped to you with DVD for $34.98 + local tax!! Digital River wants $43 for this.

EDIT: poo poo I wonder if you can use both places for two copies....

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
So is it weird that the win741 website is freaking out in terms of saying "Hey, our shits down and sorry to be an inconvenience but hey, we're fixing stuff"

Do you think that means release soon?