Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

s1apnutz
Oct 14, 2007

Fly, Eagles, Fly!
I just got emailed a link to download through win741.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, so, I was planning to buy the upgrade version of 64bit Win7 and use my 32bit XP cd with it. But from reading this thread, it seems I can't just pop in the XP cd as proof, I need to install XP and THEN wipe the drive to install windows 7.

I can deal with that. All my media files and documents are on a seperate partition.

My question is, is I'm having to wipe my current os (RC1 of the Win7 beta) to install XP, is there a quick and easy way to get my Windows 7 preferences back into the retail version of Windows 7 once I reinstall? I was counting on being able to just install over the beta until now.

I skipped Vista entirely, so I haven't fiddled with any of the migration wizards or anything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bobulus posted:

I need to install XP to install windows 7

Fixed for you, if you wipe the drive you're just going to have to install XP again.

DocBrown
Apr 11, 2007

by Ozma
I got the link too!! Downloading now getting 270kb a sec. Hope to have this done before the rush brings this down.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Downloading. Also... wtf do I do with a .box file?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I'm jealous of all you guys and I despise my school for using live.com

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

SiLk-2k5 posted:

Downloading. Also... wtf do I do with a .box file?
Apparently nothing because their unpacker is broken.

Morphal
Dec 17, 2002

TheQat posted:

Did anyone else order release-date delivery for Windows 7 via Amazon? If so, has your copy shipped, or do you have any prior experience with Amazon release date delivery?

Off-topic reason I'm wondering about this:

I'm a little curious as to how they think they're going to get it to me on the 22nd when it hasn't shipped yet. Not that it's impossible, because I live pretty close to two of their warehouses, but I'm not filled with confidence given that every Amazon pre-order I've made in the past (2+ years ago now. I'm only giving them another chance because it's release date delivery instead of a normal pre-order) has had to be canceled and re-ordered once the release date arrives.

What happened two+ times in the past: the release date for whatever I pre-ordered would pass without a shipping notice, then I would check the order status on Amazon and it would say "expected to ship in 5 days" (or something to that effect), while the product page proper would say "ships in 24 hours." Then, if I canceled my pre-order and reordered from the product page, it would ship out that day.

So I guess I'm wondering if Amazon has improved their pre-order fulfillment.
I preordered the Home Premium Family Pack from Amazon on Sunday night. I have Amazon Prime and used the free two-day shipping option (they didn't have a specific option for release-date delivery for some reason like they do on the single-pack versions). They shipped it yesterday (Tuesday) and it actually got here TODAY (Wednesday), because the warehouse they shipped it from only takes one day for stuff to get to me from, even with ground shipping (I live in the US). I've never had the problem you mentioned though, whether or not I used the release-date shipping option.

Tequila Ranger posted:

I just pulled the trigger on the "Home Premium 3-Pack" upgrade, and now I am noticing, unlike the "Home Premium" (Single User) upgrade, it makes no mention of including both 32 and 64 bit versions (I want 64 bit). Am I screwed?

Also, if it does include the 64 bit version, I should have no license issues upgrading Win XP Pro SP2 (Oem) to Win 7 "Home Premium" 64, correct?

Edit: This is what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=1286119011
Yes, the family pack (the one you linked to) comes with two DVDs--one labeled "32-bit software" and the other labeled "64-bit software". The packaging contains a single key inside which should work with either version.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Capnbigboobies posted:

Try calling the AUS number and asking? 0011800 – 99 11 22 11 ? Is this it? I have no idea how your crazy numbering system works.

Holy jesus Win7 pro full is 450 down under. Jesus...

If you think thats hosed, consider that I paid two thirds of that, and was able to put Win7 Ultimate + Office2007 on all the computers currently floating around my place.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

So just so we're clear, an Upgrade edition key will not work with a full retail copy of 7?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

Fixed for you, if you wipe the drive you're just going to have to install XP again.

I mean formatting the partition as part of the install process for windows 7 after it verifies the XP install, to clarify.

The main question was the easiest way to import my current Win7 beta configs into the retail version without being able to install on top of it.

edit: Wait, I've got a spare blank partition. Could I install XP on THAT and then install the retail version on top of my beta version?

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004

Capnbigboobies posted:

Yeah sorry man. I assumed goons already knew about the phone option. That's why I waited so long to post it here. I figured it already was known. We shall find out if people are getting full installs or just upgrades in a few hours right?

I think it's possible to cancel. I have no idea it's too late but google searching came up with this.

EDIT: poo poo I wonder if you can use both places for two copies....

Sweet, shot them an email, hopefully the confirm it was canceled, and I'll call up Microsoft's offices then...I would have tried to two copies thing just to see, but I already have Ultimate on my desktop, and this copy is just for my laptop...though I guess I could have resold it...oh well. I'd much rather have a full copy than an upgrade edition...you can still upgrade from the full edition.

partiallypro fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 22, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bobulus posted:

I mean formatting the partition as part of the install process for windows 7 after it verifies the XP install, to clarify.

You can't do that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Ok, so if you buy through win741 you're getting a deal or getting screwed? I really don't understand what it's all about despite reading a few pages here.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Have any Americans got the download link through digital river/Win741 yet? I'm still waiting for mine.

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman
I got the email from Digital River a few minutes ago. Already running the RTM, copied the key and activated no problem.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I'm downloading "something" 3 gigs big right now from there :P

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

flink posted:

I got the email from Digital River a few minutes ago. Already running the RTM, copied the key and activated no problem.
Full retail or upgrade-only key, confirm/deny?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Euphoriaphone posted:

Have any Americans got the download link through digital river/Win741 yet? I'm still waiting for mine.
My e-mail from win741.com just arrived a few minutes ago.

EDIT: I wonder how long this download is gonna be available. I was already running the RTM (and activated with the key I was just mailed), but I wonder if this download link will still work months/years from now.

syphon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 22, 2009

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman

Swilo posted:

x64 Professional Upgrade key

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Swilo posted:

If you're asking about the KEY itself, I just used it to activate the RTM copy I installed a couple months ago. The KEY itself isn't upgrade-only. I didn't even bother downloading their upgrade-only installer.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
So other than the appropriate Microsoft page, where can I get some sweet themes?

Right now I'm just using Aero basic -- actually just changed to it from the default and it's growing on me.

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Ok, so if you buy through win741 you're getting a deal or getting screwed? I really don't understand what it's all about despite reading a few pages here.

Both are good deals relative to the retail price, but ordering over the phone gets you more bang for the buck than going through digital river.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
For those who installed the RTM/retail in the past weeks with the hopes of being able to enter your key on release date:

It works!

1) Started with Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Ordered 7 Pro 64-bit upgrade.

2) Copied Windows 7 files to USB drive. Forgot to delete ei.cfg.

3) Booted to flash drive. Installed 7 Ultimate. Oops.

4) Rather than restore Windows Vista from the Dell recovery partition, booted from flash, formatted over 7 Ultimate and installed 7 Professional.

5) Received my key at 12:45am 22 October.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 22, 2009

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cuddly Coach posted:

Vista Home Professional?

poo poo, I meant Vista Home Premium.

Question still stands. Will I be able to do an upgrade install (as opposed to clean install) from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro (Same bit versions)?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 22, 2009

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
in a similar vein, I've got Vista Ultimate installed and I ordered the digitalriver home premium upgrade...

can I go from ultimate -> home premium without a full reinstall?

and with the upgrade key, can I later get a full retail disc and just use the upgrade key to activate instead of having to install vista and then install 7 later?

totally confused about this nonsense, haven't ever had the same PC through an upgrade cycle before...

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy
If I went through digital river, can I call and use my edu email address and get a copy of Win 7 Pro for my desktop?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Unlucky7 posted:

Will I be able to do an upgrade install (as opposed to clean install) from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro (Same bit versions)?

Expiration Date posted:

in a similar vein, I've got Vista Ultimate installed and I ordered the digitalriver home premium upgrade...

can I go from ultimate -> home premium without a full reinstall?

From what I understand, you can upgrade up (Vista Home Premium -> 7 Pro) but not down (Vista Ultimate -> 7 Home Premium).

Also, someone a few posts up confirmed that upgrade keys work with the full RTM install.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

If I use the digital river key to install Windows 7, can I use the same key again later to install another copy of Windows 7 on the same computer, but a different drive?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The unboxing worked fine for me... Vista64, ran from a folder on my Desktop named "Home Premium."

Ricky Fightmaster
Feb 8, 2005
This is great news about the key.. They should have explained this poo poo upfront though instead of letting everyone panic.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Everything is going very smoothly for me on my <1 year old Vaio. The only annoyances are that Live One Care must be uninstalled before upgrading and some popular Logitech software must also be uninstalled. Once Windows 7 is installed the programs can be reinstalled without issue though.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 22, 2009

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Live One Care should be uninstalled anyway since it isn't even supported anymore.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Sweet glad the win741 keys are working. Why are some of you guys buying home premium off that site when pro is the same price?

Marxist Party
Jan 29, 2009

Rock out with your Cog out!
Has anyone encountered an error when using the .exe saying it has failed to find one of the required files?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Capnbigboobies posted:

Sweet glad the win741 keys are working. Why are some of you guys buying home premium off that site when pro is the same price?

The student price deal is 30 bucks, I don't see professional at the rate..

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
When you get the confirmation email there's a little button to buy Professional for $30.

Also, does 1-877-696-7786 gets you student pricing for a full version of Pro? (I have a .edu email address)

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

I got Pro through that deal for $30.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

As stated many times in this thread, you need to tick the option saying that you need to join your school's domain, then you get Pro.

I'm not even a student and I know this thanks to reading the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frieD195
Jan 1, 2008

Titty Sprinkles!
I've never upgraded ANY O.S. before so please excuse me(or ban me for a little while) if I ask a n00B question. I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I am currently downloading Windows 7 Pro 32-bit upgrade. Will the upgrade from Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Windows 7 Pro 32-bit actually work? I've tried to find specific info regarding this on the internet but have come up empty.

Edit: According to the OS requirements, my hardware and nearly all of my software is compatible. Current download speed is averaging 700+ KB/sec. Should be done in about 35 minutes.

Edit #2: "Windows Vista™ Home Premium cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

frieD195 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 22, 2009