Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

LorneReams posted:

PS3 media center absolutly works, I used it for a long time. My only problem is that 1080p rips tend to cause stuttering like 10-20 minutes in.

You've just to go overclock your balls off to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
I'm sorry in advance if this has already been posted, but ive been following this thread for a while now and havent seen this issue.

I downloaded the win 741 64 bit home premium upgrade version, and once I run it now, the whole thing unpacks into the expandedSetup folder just fine, then gives me the error that it cannot copy or crate new file types in the selected directory because of read only/some other file attribute. Then if i try and run the executable file in the newly created expandedSetup folder, it tells me that the file being run isnt a valid win32 application. I am currently running windows xp pro 32 bit.

Any ideas or am I missing something really basic here?

Creative Bicycle fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 22, 2009

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Anyone know if you can use the Win741 deal to buy TWO copies of Win7 for $30? I already bought one, but my buddy wants it too. I'm wondering if I can buy a second copy for him.

The page LOOKS like it'll allow it. I'm all the way up to entering my billing info and it still hasn't said 'hey you already bought from us!'

EDIT: The terms and conditions of the sale say you can only buy one. I wonder if it'd let me buy another though.

syphon fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 22, 2009

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I regret not doing the beta, but if I get the $149 Family Pack, I don't really have to use it for my "family", do I? I could put it on my PC, my fiance's laptop, and just find a buddy who wants to throw in $50, right? I just don't want to drop the money and get caught in some loophole, but that honestly sounds like the best deal for us.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

Creative Bicycle posted:

I'm sorry in advance if this has already been posted, but ive been following this thread for a while now and havent seen this issue.

I downloaded the win 741 64 bit home premium upgrade version, and once I run it now, the whole thing unpacks into the expandedSetup folder just fine, then gives me the error that it cannot copy or crate new file types in the selected directory because of read only/some other file attribute. Then if i try and run the executable file in the newly created expandedSetup folder, it tells me that the file being run isnt a valid win32 application. I am currently running windows xp pro 32 bit.

Any ideas or am I missing something really basic here?

Same issue, same OS here. Wondering what the deal is :(

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/62675a69-2a19-4695-8c8d-8a83be589708

profbobo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 22, 2009

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

profbobo posted:

Same issue, same OS here. Wondering what the deal is :(

The installer is 64bit it sounds like. Try and burn the iso to a dvd and install using the booted DVD. Should work.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

So I'm a little confused. If Digital River is providing me with an .exe file, how the heck am I supposed to do a format-reinstall from that data? A USB key?

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!
It didn't arrive as an ISO from digitalriver; it's an executable and two .box files, which it needs to unpack. It's having problems unpacking everything, so I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

TShields posted:

I regret not doing the beta, but if I get the $149 Family Pack, I don't really have to use it for my "family", do I? I could put it on my PC, my fiance's laptop, and just find a buddy who wants to throw in $50, right? I just don't want to drop the money and get caught in some loophole, but that honestly sounds like the best deal for us.

No. They'll ask for marriage licenses and birth certificates.

Yeah, its fine.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Lenins Potato posted:

No. They'll ask for marriage licenses and birth certificates.

Yeah, its fine.

Hey, just trying to be cautious! Thanks for the reassurance.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Really sorry if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it: what exactly does the win741 download manager download? Someone earlier in the thread suggested that it's not an ISO, so is it just a huge EXE or what?

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Casao posted:

Googling around, I can't find any mention of it working on the 360? Got a link with details, cause I'd be interested in this.

I spent a while trying to find a nice, clean guide. Ultimately, I installed the Shark 007 guide and it worked. now I just need to figure out why streaming 720p h264 mkv over a 100mbit network gives me early flash quality video.

TVersity and PS3Mediaserver transcode MKVs. If you're ok with 2.1 audio and a very tiny amount of work, you can repackage them as MP4s with GOTSent or XenonMKV (assuming they're H.264) and play them natively on the 360 or a PS3.

Expiration Date
Jun 6, 2008
I think this weirdness with the digitalriver stuff is going to make me buy a 2nd retail upgrade copy so I can have a physical disc around to install from on both of my machines.

I need a second copy anyway, might as well do 'em both now.

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

Expiration Date posted:

I think this weirdness with the digitalriver stuff is going to make me buy a 2nd retail upgrade copy so I can have a physical disc around to install from on both of my machines.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/30470-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l.html

Microsoft is working on the digital river issue (which, as I gather it, is that it's a 64 bit application). When the installer's fixed, I'm going to make a bootable disc and hopefully never have to gently caress with this again. So disappointing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MrChupon posted:

So I'm a little confused. If Digital River is providing me with an .exe file, how the heck am I supposed to do a format-reinstall from that data? A USB key?

ouch, that would be a problem!

Chromatose
Aug 28, 2003

squid pro quo
I have been running a non activated 64 bit Home Premium RTM install.

I went to install my 64bit Professional edition download from Win741 just now, but it told me that it couldn't just use the install program to switch editions like that, and would require a clean install, or, I noticed, it told me to use the "Windows anytime upgrade" program that was already installed.

So I put in my pro upgrade key there, and installed with absolutely no problems, even from a NON ACTIVATED RTM install. Success! Switched from Home premium non activated RTM to activated Professional

So really, I suppose I didn't even have to download the file from win741.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Expiration Date posted:

Do you have your key already? I'm not sure how the digital river thing works. But if you at least have the key, you can download the iso somewhere, verify hashes, and keep that as your physical disc.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

redeyes posted:

ouch, that would be a problem!

Yeah.. I've somewhat gathered from this thread that it isn't necessary to do a format and the .exe will just do a clean install from the desktop of my current Vista install.

But I'd really like to salt the earth and re-format without the chance of any old poo poo being dragged along. I think I'm going to try and make an .iso of the Digital River download as outlined in http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/13450eb9-b158-4c95-be1e-a13fe03f0632

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 22, 2009

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Where can I download a copy of the RTM 64-bit? Digital River is raining on my parade.

MrPeanut
Mar 11, 2005

My word!
I'm receiving my copy from the Laptop upgrade program from ASUS. Has anyone else received their email yet who's on the same program at ASUS? I ordered last night but it really shouldn't take this long to process a 0$ order....

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Alex007 posted:

Didn't check the mail yesterday because I didn't expect my package to arrive on the same day it was shipped ... But apparently something is already waiting for me at home:

Thank you Canada Post !

Mine shipped from the same warehouse around 4 p.m. yesterday and tracking on Canada Post says it should arrive tomorrow. Mississauga is about 5 hours away from my house, I'm on the QC side too.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jam2 posted:

Where can I download a copy of the RTM 64-bit? Digital River is raining on my parade.

I don't really think it's in anyone's interest to tell you where to download the full version of the new Microsoft OS that just came out today. The filename is in the OP, you can surely find it from that.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Noxville posted:

I don't really think it's in anyone's interest to tell you where to download the full version of the new Microsoft OS that just came out today. The filename is in the OP, you can surely find it from that.

He's not asking to do anything illegal. He already has a key (I assume).

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Jam2 posted:

Check all the usual suspects. Just remember to check the hash yourself.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

profbobo posted:

It didn't arrive as an ISO from digitalriver; it's an executable and two .box files, which it needs to unpack. It's having problems unpacking everything, so I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

It's really retarded. I had an error after unpacking as well, but apparently you can just ignore that.

These are the instructions I followed after unpacking (with the error), and they worked flawlessly. I'm currently running windows 7 pro 64 fine.

1. From within XP 32-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit version of Win7 Professional upgrade.
2. Used the installer to extract the files, but received above mentioned error.
3. Checked the file size of the folder "extendedSetup" and noticed that it was 3.01 GB.
4. Moved extendedSetup folder to root (C:\)
5. Downloaded this file and extracted it into C:\WINDOWS\System32: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/general-discussion/32382d1256189124-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l-oscdimg.zip
6. Bought up command prompt and typed the following: oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -1WIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso
7. Burn ISO

If you get an invalid flag error after trying step 6, try entering
oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\win7.iso instead.

VV Whoops, thanks.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 22, 2009

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
To be perfectly clear, you should mention that you have to extract the oscdimg thing to system32, not just place it there :)

papanugget
Aug 8, 2000
I'm currently running Vista64 and purchased the Digitalriver upgrade. I'm going to be rebuilding my current system with all new hardware however. What are my options as far as just installing Windows 7. Do I have to reinstall Vista in order for the upgrade to see the licensed copy?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Jam2 posted:

Where can I download a copy of the full retail Windows 7 64-bit? Digital River is crappy.

Jam2 posted:

It's been on torrent sites for months.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Casao posted:

Googling around, I can't find any mention of it working on the 360? Got a link with details, cause I'd be interested in this.

I spent a while trying to find a nice, clean guide. Ultimately, I installed the Shark 007 guide and it worked. now I just need to figure out why streaming 720p h264 mkv over a 100mbit network gives me early flash quality video.

I couldn't find anywhere in Windows Media sharing to set output resolution. And I used PS3 MediaServer for a short time so I don't remember if it has the option (I'm sure it does) but on Tversity you set the output resolution. Default is 640x480 I think which can make a 1080p file look like crap. Its under the transcoder settings.

Like someone else said though, transcoding/streaming a 1080p file is a stutterfest because my PC can't transcode fast enough.

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho
Bye ultramon!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Barfosaurus posted:

Bye ultramon!

This one disappointed me too :( DesktopFusion does a lot of the same stuff and is 7-compatible, but not free

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

So everyone is generally satisfied so far? I'm an hour or two from running and picking this up. My fiance's laptop runs horribly on Vista (which was pre-installed), and I just want new toys on my gaming PC.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Barfosaurus posted:

Bye ultramon!

Why? Does 7 reproduce it's features or is the support just poor?

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

I have a AGP X1950 Pro. Win7 installed fine, but I haven't tried using 3D Games yet.

ATI drivers seem to not support "WDDM 1.1" and there are lots of people reporting problems on the net with AGP-based cards.

Should I leave the stock drivers, or try to upgrade? Which drivers?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Carecat posted:

Why? Does 7 reproduce it's features or is the support just poor?

Oops, I missed that ultramon 3.0.7 beta supports 7. Well now I have no idea what to think

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Noxville posted:

It's not illegal to obtain the file when you have a valid license for the computer on which you intend to install.

Xenomorph posted:

It's been on torrent sites for months.

I would prefer an official channel. I guess there isn't one.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jam2 posted:

I would prefer an official channel. I guess there isn't one.

Considering it's trivial to verify it's a legit copy, why?

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

RoryGilmore posted:

It's really retarded. I had an error after unpacking as well, but apparently you can just ignore that.

These are the instructions I followed after unpacking (with the error), and they worked flawlessly. I'm currently running windows 7 pro 64 fine.

1. From within XP 32-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit version of Win7 Professional upgrade.
2. Used the installer to extract the files, but received above mentioned error.
3. Checked the file size of the folder "extendedSetup" and noticed that it was 3.01 GB.
4. Moved extendedSetup folder to root (C:\)
5. Downloaded this file and extracted it into C:\WINDOWS\System32: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/general-discussion/32382d1256189124-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l-oscdimg.zip
6. Bought up command prompt and typed the following: oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -1WIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso
7. Burn ISO

If you get an invalid flag error after trying step 6, try entering
oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\win7.iso instead.

VV Whoops, thanks.

I thought about doing that but I am pretty sure there are files that don't get unpacked with this error; if you try to run the installer again while looking at the expandedSetup folder, at least one file appears and then disappears when the error pops up. I'm worried about that affecting something down the line though I know a lot of people have had success with homemade isos.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

oversteer posted:

I have a AGP X1950 Pro. Win7 installed fine, but I haven't tried using 3D Games yet.

ATI drivers seem to not support "WDDM 1.1" and there are lots of people reporting problems on the net with AGP-based cards.

Should I leave the stock drivers, or try to upgrade? Which drivers?

Just stay with the stock drivers. They seem to work well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawakami
Jul 18, 2005
So my upgrade seems to have gone fairly smoothly until the point it's at now. It seems to have stalled out on a particular file and has been transferring it for well over half an hour now. Am I just being impatient or is something broken. If the latter what I can I do to unbreak it?