Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

A5H posted:

BTBAM leaked :supaburn:

Review after one listen: Not as good as Colors. Pretty derivative of other bands work. Track 4 is a Mr. Bungle song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Asnorban posted:

Review after one listen: Not as good as Colors. Pretty derivative of other bands work. Track 4 is a Mr. Bungle song.

Its Colors II in my book. Its not like Colors wasn't full of tributes to Tom Waits/David Bowie/etc.

As far as track 4 goes, it depends on whether you liked that goofy baby-talking poo poo. I got used to it and think its fine, and they did it again.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
How is Swim to the Moon? I think I'm still gonna wait till next week.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
Just listened to it straight through. It's definitely Colors 2 but a lot more pop influenced than anything else they've done. It also sounds extremely Dream Theater-ish throughout the whole thing but they actually do it better than Dream Theater has in their last few albums so I'm okay with it.

I need to listen to it a few more times before I can really say whether I like it as much as Colors or Alaska, but I'm really digging it right now. Disease, Injury, Madness is sick. Desert of Song is great too because it's much different than anything they've done before. Swim to the Moon is the White Walls of the album, no surprise there.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

The Dirtyness posted:

Just listened to it straight through. It's definitely Colors 2 but a lot more pop influenced than anything else they've done. It also sounds extremely Dream Theater-ish throughout the whole thing but they actually do it better than Dream Theater has in their last few albums so I'm okay with it.

I need to listen to it a few more times before I can really say whether I like it as much as Colors or Alaska, but I'm really digging it right now. Disease, Injury, Madness is sick. Desert of Song is great too because it's much different than anything they've done before. Swim to the Moon is the White Walls of the album, no surprise there.

Yeah, I definitely need to give this quite a few more listens. It's a great album and doesn't disappoint. Swim to the Moon was my favorite so far.

Desert of Song was a surprise.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I don't know who you guys are trying to fool with this talk of a "new BTBAM cd"

Everyone knows they stopped making music after The Silent Circus.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Does anyone know who does the vocals at around 2:30 into Swim to the Moon?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't know who you guys are trying to fool with this talk of a "new BTBAM cd"

Everyone knows they stopped making music after The Silent Circus.

While I don't agree to that extent at all, I really really wish they would return to this type of sound once in a while. It's by far the heaviest BTBAM album. I was only disappointed with Alaska, honestly.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

plester1 posted:

Does anyone know who does the vocals at around 2:30 into Swim to the Moon?

pretty sure that's their tour manager

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Well I gave in and downloaded it anyway and just finished. I really don't know what to think, or how I feel about it. There are a disappointing lack of riffs that made me go "oh...my...god" like during most of Colors...but I think that's just because I listened to everything once (except Obfuscation). And parts of Swim to the Moon reminded me a little too much of White Walls. That being said, I really like the mood this album evokes already. It is a lot more somber than Colors, I think. The guitar melodies are a lot less...well, melodic, but I think it all warrants a couple listens.

EDIT: Second listen I'm already loving it. Disease, Injury, Madness and Fossil Genera are both badass.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 22, 2009

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My face at the end of Swim to the Moon: :aaaaa:

Every one of their previous albums actually took effort to fully enjoy, but this is the first of their offerings that blew my loving mind from the get-go. Easily my favourite album of the year so far.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Mammal Sauce posted:

Every one of their previous albums actually took effort to fully enjoy

Did you ever even listen to their self-titled.. like when it was actually released? That's when BTBAM was actually playing experimental metalcore that sounded good. Now they just jerk their instruments off for 20 minute long songs and I fall the gently caress asleep when I saw them at the Saints and Sinners tour. I fell ASLEEP!

Just listened to this Swim to the Moon song, mother fucker, another 20 minute song that goes nowhere the entire loving time. Why do they bother trying to be a "hardcore" band anymore with the vocals. First of all the singer (Tommy Rogers, right?) has gotten so bland with his vocals it's embarrassing to think he used to actually show a little diversity in his singing. I'll admit the last time I saw them I thought he had an awesome projection, but he uses the same range throughout the entire song and all the songs I've heard off the new albums. The music may have gotten all kinds of complicated and diverse, but his singing has really poo poo itself. And he's not a good actual singer. I think that if you like the newer stuff it's impossible for you to like the style they had when they first came out, and if you didn't like their first albums then you might want to give this new-age hippy progressive poo poo a shot because maybe you'll dig it.

That said, I know what I'm going to put on in case I have trouble falling asleep at night. Bands like Daughters make a more interesting listen out of an entire CD that's shorter than just one BTBAM song. gently caress.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 22, 2009

the phisH
Sep 1, 2006
You help me, and in turn, I am helped by you.
The new Red Chord leaked as well.

All I can say is Holy Jesus this thing is FAST.

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?

ShoogaSlim posted:

Did you ever even listen to their self-titled.. like when it was actually released? That's when BTBAM was actually playing experimental metalcore that sounded good. Now they just jerk their instruments off for 20 minute long songs and I fall the gently caress asleep when I saw them at the Saints and Sinners tour. I fell ASLEEP!

Sucks for you, dude. I think Tommy's vocals are very well done and tasteful. The Great Misdirect is definitely my album of the year.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

I think that if you like the newer stuff it's impossible for you to like the style they had when they first came out, and if you didn't like their first albums then you might want to give this new-age hippy progressive poo poo a shot because maybe you'll dig it.
I don't know dude. I love all of their albums and I didn't even get into them until after Colors.

So after going through the CD a few times today, I'd definitely say it's at least as good as Colors but in it's own way.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

The Dirtyness posted:

I'd definitely say it's at least as good as Colors but in it's own way.

This! I'm starting my second listen now and it's pretty much just Colors + mind-fuckingly good drumming.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
I'll probably do the same with this album as I did Colors... and that is listen to it non-stop for the next month or so. The Great Misdirect also has Zalgo's album of the year.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
BTBAM is quickly turning into the wank band for all the skinny jean-wearing hipsters because they're too embarrassed to admit to liking Dream Theater.

Nearly every song I've heard by them has moments of absolute brilliance that they usually ruin with instrument wanking or terrible vocals (usually both). Though I will admit that the growling/screaming vocals don't get as lost in the mix on The Great Misdirect as they did on Colors.

I really want to like this band, I just can't.

JAF07 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 22, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

JAF07 posted:

BTBAM is quickly turning into the wank band for all the skinny jean-wearing hipsters because they're too embarrassed to admit to liking Dream Theater.

Thank you.

quote:

I really want to like this band, I just can't.

Easy solution, only listen to their debut full length. Music was much more consistent and still experimental and the vocals showed a lot more range and still fit the music very well. Rogers used a lot more variation in his vocal ability and now all he does is sing like a monk or use a really unpleasant mid range scream/growl that gets boring very fast.

Now Red Chord, that I can get into. One of my favorite bands, and even though Prey For Eyes didn't really do anything for me musically, they're still an excellent band to see live.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Every time I try to listen to BTBAM I have been disappointed. The one song I could sit through fairly easily was "Obfuscation" or whatever.

I'd rather listen to this really http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N956gyD-8wg

edit: seriously. just listen to that breakdown. awesome.

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 22, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

New Red Chord is easily a better album just from one listen.

To add to my BTBAM hate, on their myspace page there is a giant photo of just their instruments in a studio where the camera is going right and left. It's just like "HEY LOOK AT OUR ELITE poo poo!" and there's also a box of Silk soy milk on the floor, get the gently caress over yourselves.

Also their merch is boring as poo poo, just like their music.

Alternatively, check this awe-inspiring shirt by The Red Chord and tell me it doesn't make you want to listen to them even if you've never heard of them: Rainbow Grinder

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Holy gently caress I have to order that shirt

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Nice avatar, I saw Acacia this past Sunday in NYC. They've become my favorite still-together band. Live show is always amazingly heavy, delightfully negative, and hilarious all at the same time. The singer told me they were going to start writing in December so I'm hoping for a new CD sometime in the middle of next year. Hopefully before next summer.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I'd rather listen to this really http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N956gyD-8wg

edit: seriously. just listen to that breakdown. awesome.

Is this serious? It sounds like that crabcore band.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
Hmm. Can't get into the new BTBAM. I'd much rather listen to Animals As Leaders or the new Red Chord

edit: Check out my friends band. Their CD just came out on Rise Records

http://www.myspace.com/thosewholiebeneath

Mazel Tov fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 22, 2009

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Maybe this is obvious, but it seems to me that BTBAM isn't really "metalcore" anymore. I mean, they toured with 3, Opeth, and Dream Theater, they supposedly have no live energy (something I really hope for in any band referred to as metalcore), their songs are pretty much averaging 8:00+ . . . comparing them to Red Chord is real apples to oranges stuff, to my mind.

That's not to say you shouldn't feel free to like Red Chord's new stuff more, just that I think BTBAM is quite intentionally heading in an entirely different direction.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

TheQat posted:

Maybe this is obvious, but it seems to me that BTBAM isn't really "metalcore" anymore. I mean, they toured with 3, Opeth, and Dream Theater, they supposedly have no live energy (something I really hope for in any band referred to as metalcore), their songs are pretty much averaging 8:00+ . . . comparing them to Red Chord is real apples to oranges stuff, to my mind.

That's not to say you shouldn't feel free to like Red Chord's new stuff more, just that I think BTBAM is quite intentionally heading in an entirely different direction.

True. I wasn't trying to compare just referring to better newish releases. Bummed that BTBAM is heavily into clean vocals/guitar parts now.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What is it? Post something?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

A5H posted:

What is it? Post something?

Assuming you're asking what I think you're asking:

postprogmetalhardcoremr.bungletomwaits

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?

TheQat posted:

Very well said, and I agree completely. They are pretty much just a prog metal band these days. Everyone bitches about their new stuff because it's nothing like their S/T or The Silent Circus, but what do you expect? Tommy and Paul are the only current members that were in the band during that era. When Dan, Dusty, and Blake joined for Alaska, you could easily tell the band was going in a different, more progressive direction. Bands grow and evolve.

And yeah, I don't see how anyone can compare BTBAM to The Red Chord... two different animals.

The reason I love BTBAM is that they manage to make everything interesting. There's so much going on that I can listen to their records over and over and get something new out of it every time.

As for The Great Misdirect, it's amazing. What I'm most happy with is that this is far from Colors II, imo. It's a little bit more on the experimental side, and it just feels heavier than Colors. TGM isn't one continuous musically conceptual piece like Colors was, either. Every song is pretty different from the others. The end of Swim to the Moon might be the most brilliant thing they've ever done.

rgrdgr Karnage fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 22, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I'm pretty sure Guy and Mike (Gunface) are the only remaining original members of The Red Chord and their style is still pretty reminiscent of what it has always been.

I have a kind of mixed view on BTBAM, in one case I think it's awesome that this once ambitious metalcore innovative band has grown into something almost otherworldy when it comes to the complexity of their songwriting. Whenever you hear someone talk about BTBAM who is a big fan of their new stuff, you imagine music that was written by some kind of spiritual metal beings or something. And for them to have gained that reputation is pretty remarkable. But in all actuality when I listen to it and really TRY to hear something that amazes me, I just hear overly complex music that sounds like the musicians are trying too hard to be complex and creative, and it's really REALLY boring.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

I have a kind of mixed view on BTBAM

I respect your opinions but I don't understand them in the slightest.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

-Atom- posted:

In a nutshell: BTBAM has obtained a sort of majestic status for playing amazing music, and I respect that. But I can't identify with the praise because the style of music they play now bores me to tears. AND I really just wish they would play music like on the self titled which was awesome. I'm a sucker for music with "parts" that while the whole song can be good, there are parts that you just anticipate, most of the time they're OMGBREAKDOWNZ but in the case of BTBAM it would be the 80's metal wail on Aspirations, etc.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

-Atom- posted:

It makes perfect sense? People listen to them and are amazed because it's a lot more technical than other metalcore acts and also because it's probably their first foray into actual non chuggah chuggah crap. But after a while you realise how little substance there is and how incredibly loving boring their songs are. I used to like alaska, and I listened to colors on rotation for a bit but I tried going back to listening to it after a while and I couldn't make it through ANY of their songs. The only part that I think is good on colors is the part with one of the guys from fear before.. I think on vocals.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I don't get how such a nice sweet group of unpretentious, talented guys (BTBAM) can get so much seething hate for writing the music they want to. Oh well, these are the same people critiquing a band on their MERCHANDISE. I also think the Self Titled CD is wayy more go-nowhere than any other album since. That album was almost entirely wanking, only just mostly metalcore instead of the vast array of style they play now.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

the Bunt posted:

I don't get how such a nice sweet group of unpretentious, talented guys (BTBAM) can get so much seething hate for writing the music they want to. Oh well, these are the same people critiquing a band on their MERCHANDISE. I also think the Self Titled CD is wayy more go-nowhere than any other album since. That album was almost entirely wanking, only just mostly metalcore instead of the vast array of style they play now.

There hasn't really been any seething hate, just comments / critiques that are all as valid as the positive comments.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

the Bunt posted:

I don't think anyone said anything about hating them. I have no opinion on them as people, I just think they make incredibly boring music that doesn't deserve all the praise it gets in this thread.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

This is the guy I was referring to:

quote:

To add to my BTBAM hate, on their myspace page there is a giant photo of just their instruments in a studio where the camera is going right and left. It's just like "HEY LOOK AT OUR ELITE poo poo!" and there's also a box of Silk soy milk on the floor, get the gently caress over yourselves.

Also their merch is boring as poo poo, just like their music.

Alternatively, check this awe-inspiring shirt by The Red Chord and tell me it doesn't make you want to listen to them even if you've never heard of them: Rainbow Grinder

Though I do agree that Tommy doesn't change up his vocals as much as he can, anymore. What's up with that?

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 22, 2009

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

I liked Dream Theater more before they started calling themselves Between the Buried and Me. BTBAM's new album just sounds like someone said "hey guys! you know whats cool? Take the time! lets do that!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

quote:

This is completely true. Especially with the newest album, they're pretty far from anything-core at this point.

quote:

I liked Dream Theater more before they started calling themselves Between the Buried and Me. BTBAM's new album just sounds like someone said "hey guys! you know whats cool? Take the time! lets do that!"
Yeah, but this is so much better than anything Dream Theater has done in a long time so I'm okay with it.

I think it's interesting how polarizing this band has become. I don't think I know many people who just enjoy BTBAM. They either love them or hate them.