Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rashomon posted:

I'm running the Administrator account.

That's nice, I didn't mention anything about that. Take ownership, change permissions. At this point, you will be able to delete anything not in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Sorry, the guy above you said something about it. Anyway, changing permissions doesn't work.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Rashomon posted:

Sorry, the guy above you said something about it. Anyway, changing permissions doesn't work.

Have you tried giving full control to every account in the list? That usually works.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
That is what is giving me the "Access is denied" message. I'm not retarded, I swear.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Rashomon posted:

That is what is giving me the "Access is denied" message. I'm not retarded, I swear.

In that case I have no clue, really. Sorry.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Rashomon posted:

Right-click -> properties -> security -> advanced -> owner -> edit. Make yourself the owner. Then you can change the permissions.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

haha you have to be a rocket scientist to install the digital river version. Seriously, no iso? haha

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW

RoryGilmore posted:

Stuff about installing windows

Thanks a ton for posting this, worked perfectly.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Ikrizzle posted:

Awesome, called again and the guy took me through everything in just a couple minutes (and couldn't believe the other person I talked to didn't know about the deal). Grand total: $36.90 for full professional. Thanks for the help everyone

I knew once you got a non-retarded phone rep you would be set. Why don't all the phone people not know about it? I wonder how many people are getting the deal from MS than from win741.com. It seems how that win741 website is rolling it out it's a real cluster gently caress.

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 23, 2009

Epiq
Dec 3, 2005

This post is the best!
Well, I successfully installed Win 7 after the whole unloading the box/digitalriver/no permission debacle using the imgburn method, which is good, but now I can't access the internet on it! It sees the router there, it even makes a sort of limited connection to it but no way to access the internet.

This laptop (not mine) is quite slow so searching out a solution is taking hours :(

mcw
Jul 28, 2005
Well, hmm...

I've installed Windows 7 on all three machines in my apartment. Two issues have come up that I didn't experience with the pre-release versions:

1) Downloads seem to be capped at around 150K/sec
2) My HP LaserJet 1012 printer worked fine in the pre-release versions using the Vista drivers; it no longer works in the final version

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

chief touching you posted:

haha you have to be a rocket scientist to install the digital river version. Seriously, no iso? haha

uh

No?

You download it and click run and it runs

I backed up the downloaded files but yeah it's not all that hard

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 5, 2023

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Footboy posted:

Unless you're on 32-bit XP, in which case the installer doesn't work and the only way to install 7 is to make and boot into the .iso and do a Clean Install. Which is where I'm at now; I didn't format, so 7 is up and running and my old Windows stuff is in a folder called "Windows.old", but I haven't put my key in yet because I don't want to accidentally upgrade wrong and screw everything up and have a useless key.

Did I do it right?

I did it in 32 bit XP and it ran perfectly, I dunno what the hell you people are doing

If you're at the part where you put the key in, you're fine

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
I had no idea you could buy this for 39.99 from the Ultimate Steal (digitalriver) program. That's CHEAPER THAN OFFICE.

My mind is blown. I love being a student (though without an .edu email I had to email Microsoft with my info. They got back to me robot-fast though).

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 5, 2023

Professional Lamer
May 11, 2004

by mons al-madeen
I want to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit from Vista 32-bit on my main PC but I have no DVD-Rs to burn my MSDNAA copy onto, all I have is a big empty external hard drive (intending to install from USB) and a lot of files I want to keep.

1) The OP says that files are backed up into Windows.old when doing a clean install. Exactly what files are backed up? Everything? Just stuff in my user directory? Can I count on all the essential stuff on my desktop and wherever else being kept without having to back it up somewhere? Will files still be backed up even when switching architecture?
2) Failing that, is it possible to partition my hard drive such that I have a small partition to install Windows 7 from and a giant partition to keep all my stuff?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Professional Lamer posted:

I want to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit from Vista 32-bit on my main PC but I have no DVD-Rs to burn my MSDNAA copy onto, all I have is a big empty external hard drive (intending to install from USB) and a lot of files I want to keep.

1) The OP says that files are backed up into Windows.old when doing a clean install. Exactly what files are backed up? Everything? Just stuff in my user directory? Can I count on all the essential stuff on my desktop and wherever else being kept without having to back it up somewhere? Will files still be backed up even when switching architecture?
2) Failing that, is it possible to partition my hard drive such that I have a small partition to install Windows 7 from and a giant partition to keep all my stuff?

Everything on your C drive. Files, programs (but they won't work), and also Windows files from the previous OS

Professional Lamer
May 11, 2004

by mons al-madeen
That's going to save me a lot of hassle. Thanks!

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I think it's great they're offering Win7 cheap to students. It'll be the first version of Windows I haven't received from a guy who knows a guy.

My question is regarding the Win7 Professional Full for 40$. What's the benefit of this over the 30$ Win7 Pro Upgrade ? As far as I know the Windows7 upgrades do a fresh install correct?

Also, does a Windows 7 Beta count as a licensed OS eligible for upgrade?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

decypher posted:

I think it's great they're offering Win7 cheap to students. It'll be the first version of Windows I haven't received from a guy who knows a guy.

My question is regarding the Win7 Professional Full for 40$. What's the benefit of this over the 30$ Win7 Pro Upgrade ? As far as I know the Windows7 upgrades do a fresh install correct?

Also, does a Windows 7 Beta count as a licensed OS eligible for upgrade?

Yes but you'll have to make a bootable iso because you can't just run the upgrade when you download it from 741 if you're using the RC

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Dickeye posted:

Yes but you'll have to make a bootable iso because you can't just run the upgrade when you download it from 741 if you're using the RC

Yes you can. I did it. Today. Like, hours ago.

Granted, I did the "upgrade" trick, not the "clean install" thing. But it worked like a dream.

Edit: LINK!

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH

Dickeye posted:

Yes you can. That's how I did it. I couldn't burn a bootable ISO from the files from the 741 download, so I downloaded the RTM iso. For some reason that wouldn't boot either so I figured why not. Ran the setup.exe while in 7 RC, it installed 7 RTM and put all the RC poo poo into Windows.old. I installed without a key, and then put my key in afterwards and it activated just fine.

e;fb

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey look what I just learned about!

Cool

(I say this honestly, not sarcastically, that's p sweet)

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I purchased a copy of Vista Home Premium 32 bit with the free Windows 7 upgrade coupon from Newegg for my new HTPC. I installed Vista HP 32b for now on it, and the upgrade package should be here in a couple days. I'm not going to upgrade, though, because I don't see the Netflix plugin on the 7 RTM Windows Media Center I'm running on a different PC. Can any one confirm if that's in the Win7 WMC?

I sort of regret that I didn't go with 64 bit. It looks like the keys are the same, but I need to find where to get the 64 bit installation media. Argh.

There is a netflix item under Movies. I don't have a subscript but when I click on it, it has an install button. I *think* it was part of an update, that it wasn't there immediately after a clean install (7-ultimate, 64bit)

There's also an Internet TV item under TV but I haven't dicked with that yet either

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho
Was that noise me plugging in my iPhone? or did I just level up in EQ?

Enclave
Aug 26, 2004
"You have no life experience and no clue. Loser! " -There, is that a better tagline?
Well the details for student discounts for Australian Uni's has been released.

For 50 bucks we get a choice of Home Premium or Pro, UPGRADE editions only.....

So I can pay 50 dollars and every time I need to do a reinstall of Windows I will have to install XP, then upgrade.... thanks Microsoft.... you're awesome....

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Enclave posted:

So I can pay 50 dollars and every time I need to do a reinstall of Windows I will have to install XP, then upgrade.... thanks Microsoft.... you're awesome....

That's far from true. As mentioned many times in this thread you can 'upgrade' your currently installed window 7 install anytime you want a fresh install.

Also, you can take an image of your install after you activate and never worry about it again.

Enclave
Aug 26, 2004
"You have no life experience and no clue. Loser! " -There, is that a better tagline?

bull3964 posted:

That's far from true. As mentioned many times in this thread you can 'upgrade' your currently installed window 7 install anytime you want a fresh install.

Also, you can take an image of your install after you activate and never worry about it again.

I dont have Windows 7 though... In fact I don't have anything on my PC at the moment. So will I still have to install XP then Windows 7? As far as imaging is concerned that's all well and good but it means that it adds an extra step to an already lengthy process. All I wanted as a disc to pop in and BAM, Windows 7.

So if I DID install Windows 7 and get it all set up, instead of doing a format and reinstall when the need arised, I could just input the Windows 7 Upgrade disc and it will do a clean install, moving my old Win 7 folder to Windows.old?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Enclave posted:

I dont have Windows 7 though... In fact I don't have anything on my PC at the moment. So will I still have to install XP then Windows 7?

Yes, you can't start from nothing with an upgrade copy. You have to have a qualifying OS installed and activated.

quote:

So if I DID install Windows 7 and get it all set up, instead of doing a format and reinstall when the need arised, I could just input the Windows 7 Upgrade disc and it will do a clean install, moving my old Win 7 folder to Windows.old?

Right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Enclave posted:

I dont have Windows 7 though... In fact I don't have anything on my PC at the moment. So will I still have to install XP then Windows 7? As far as imaging is concerned that's all well and good but it means that it adds an extra step to an already lengthy process. All I wanted as a disc to pop in and BAM, Windows 7.

Well then you can pay more for a full version?

Topsy Kretts
Mar 5, 2007
Can someone tell me how 7 might run on this tc4200 tablet that I have? I never messed with vista, but would like to try 7 since i get it for free through school. However I don't want to level my tablet if its gonna run like rear end.

Pentium M 750 (1.8 GHz) (2 meg L2)
1.5gig of PC2-4300
Intel 915GM Graphics

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Topsy Kretts posted:

Can someone tell me how 7 might run on this tc4200 tablet that I have? I never messed with vista, but would like to try 7 since i get it for free through school. However I don't want to level my tablet if its gonna run like rear end.

Pentium M 750 (1.8 GHz) (2 meg L2)
1.5gig of PC2-4300
Intel 915GM Graphics

It will run, but I'm pretty sure Aero won't work.

Enclave
Aug 26, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yes, you can't start from nothing with an upgrade copy. You have to have a qualifying OS installed and activated.

Right.

Thankyou kind sir.

I'll probably just do that then.

Cheers

Enclave
Aug 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

Well then you can pay more for a full version?

If I wasn't a student and MS were not gouging Australians for their price, I probably would. $449au for a retail copy.

cluelessnewbie
Aug 14, 2008
Just reporting in that I did I clean upgrade install with the Digital River 741 download just by running the exe in the Vista install being replaced (both x64 edition). Everything went smoothly.

Actually, Vista was also released as a Digital River download (through the now defunct Microsoft digital locker) and when I tried it back then it wouldn't let me do a clean upgrade I think. I ended up getting my money back and buying the physical version. I was a little wary of the 741 deal because of it, so I made sure to get the backup disk when I ordered it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Enclave posted:

If I wasn't a student and MS were not gouging Australians for their price, I probably would. $449au for a retail copy.

You can get an OEM copy for less than half that.

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
I called Mircosoft today and order a Full Pro for the student rate. I asked if I could get more copies with other .edu emails that I had and they said sure.

I think I'm going to wait until I get this first one before ordering a bunch more copies...

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

ChronoBasher posted:

I called Mircosoft today and order a Full Pro for the student rate. I asked if I could get more copies with other .edu emails that I had and they said sure.

I think I'm going to wait until I get this first one before ordering a bunch more copies...

I got the downloaded W7 from win741 from my current student email and called up and got the professional full with my old community college one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

This may have been alluded to before, but to be clear, if I get the RTM install copy with my upgrade key, would I be able to use that to do a fresh install anytime, without worrying about having previous versions?