Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not at the OS level, they're not. You probably need to update/switch around your NIC drivers.

Or perhaps his ISP is just overloaded today because every fucker is downloading Windows 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still stuck with the problem of not being able to change the background colour of explorer windows. Anyone know how to do this?

Click here for the full 744x735 image.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Crackbone posted:

The only reason 7 isn't a "pile of doo-doo" for launch day drivers is because it's using the same (or close enough for end users) driver model Vista has. Microsoft didn't improve, vendors used the intervening 2 years and actually make drivers.

I still can't fathom how so many people who swore up and down Vista sucked somehow now believe 7 is some sort of heaven-sent upgrade.

believe it or not "it just works" is the metric for software most people have

if you put in the disc, install, and "it just works" it's good stuff. If you have a bunch of device driver incompatibilities or need to feed floppies for your perc2 raid or whatever then it's frustrating

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 5, 2023

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

http://ninite.com/

Very handy if you've just installed!

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009
I'm downloading Windows 7 64 bit off MSDNAA right now. My friend downloaded it earlier and said it wasn't in an ISO, but was just a bunch of files with a 64-bit only installer. I'll see if that's the case when it's done.

Has anyone downloaded W7 off MSDNAA? What was your experience like?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Honey Im Homme posted:

http://ninite.com/

Very handy if you've just installed!

Looks like a nice way to get some malware :xd:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Stanley Pain posted:

Looks like a nice way to get some malware :xd:

Uh, what?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
http://lifehacker.com/5386953/lifehackers-complete-guide-to-windows-7

Lifehacker posted their "Complete Guide to Windows 7" - and XdN Tweaker was listed!

:3:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

Uh, what?

Trusting a 3rd part to download + install poo poo for you :tinfoil:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Stanley Pain posted:

Trusting a 3rd part to download + install poo poo for you :tinfoil:

Wait till you see Linux

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Footboy posted:

I had some issues with my Creative X-Fi sound card last night, and after several failed attempts at finding drivers, the solution the following morning was "didn't I buy a motherboard with onboard sound?"

I'm waiting to move the front-panel audio connectors to the motherboard just in case Creative gets their heads out of their asses, but I've already discovered that Windows 7 lets you route Line-In audio from one device to Line-Out on another device, which I've never been able to do before. Now I'm using USB Headphones to listen to Halo 3.

I've had major problems with my Audigy 2 ZS, which is a Creative product. They have Windows 7 drivers out except they suck dick. Also for some reason my on-board sound isn't working, so I'm just going to go down to Target and get a new sound card soon.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
E:^^^What's your onboard sound? I remember reading some fixes for various chips, so I might be able to help you.

friendship waffle posted:

believe it or not "it just works" is the metric for software most people have

if you put in the disc, install, and "it just works" it's good stuff. If you have a bunch of device driver incompatibilities or need to feed floppies for your perc2 raid or whatever then it's frustrating

That has very little to do with Microsoft though, and what he's saying makes a lot of sense. Since Vista's buggy launch software companies have actually made compatible drivers, which is the only reason things work now. If you've noticed, most of the drivers you're installing for 7 are Vista drivers, not 7 drivers. Taking that into account, 7 is not as major an upgrade as people think. I understand that everyone was pissed none of their hardware worked, but MS had given developers a shitload of time to make working drivers (Beta, RC) and most of them didn't do squat in that time. You can't blame Microsoft for developers laziness.

I was convinced that Vista was a piece of poo poo, because that's what everyone told me. Besides my brother, not one of those people had installed Vista, much less used it even once. I took the same view until reading this thread. Learned that most of the "new" features I'd found in the RC actually originated with Vista, and that most of the problems with it were fixed at SP1. I'm not saying it's perfect, or anything of the sort, just that it's easy to assume something is crap without knowing poo poo about it.

/rant

In other news, I ordered my copy of 7 Ultimate to go with the PC I built for it. NewEgg says it's shipped, though I don't have tracking info yet. It's shipping from a state away though, so I should see it either tomorrow or Monday. Not that exciting since I've been using the RC for a while now, but there is one major plus:
I'm going to install a copy of 7 on a Toshiba Tecra 780CDM laptop. Pentium II 266, 128mb RAM, rear end-small hard drive (I'm using external), and Windows 98 currently installed. I've heard it's been installed on a similar machine with 96mb RAM, so I know it'll work to some degree. Beyond that, it's fossil-tech party time!

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 23, 2009

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xenomorph posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5386953/lifehackers-complete-guide-to-windows-7

Lifehacker posted their "Complete Guide to Windows 7" - and XdN Tweaker was listed!

:3:

This is a very useful guide for me. The thing I am most excited about? (so far)

quote:

Windows 7 doesn't just give you a wagging finger (and pretend-useful "Try Again" button) when you want to move or delete a file that's in use. It actually tells you which application is using the file.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Second Sun posted:

I'm still stuck with the problem of not being able to change the background colour of explorer windows. Anyone know how to do this?

If you want to make Explorer look like poo poo, you have to enable Classic Windows. Otherwise you have to use themes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

c0burn posted:

Wait till you see Linux

This is a little different than using something like apt or whatever. In any case my post was in jest more than anything else :shobon:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Gasmask posted:

In other news, I ordered my copy of 7 Ultimate to go with the PC I built for it. NewEgg says it's shipped, though I don't have tracking info yet. It's shipping from a state away though, so I should see it either tomorrow or Monday.

I ordered the same thing from NewEgg yesterday around noon. I got it today around one. Shipped from NJ (to Mass) and I didn't receive my tracking info until this morning. If you're lucky you'll get it tomorrow, if UPS ships on Saturdays.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
WTF, the digitalriver Download Manager thingy kills my internet connection. Gonna have to download this overnight.

Sons of bitches!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I ordered the same thing from NewEgg yesterday around noon. I got it today around one. Shipped from NJ (to Mass) and I didn't receive my tracking info until this morning. If you're lucky you'll get it tomorrow, if UPS ships on Saturdays.

Awesome. I actually ordered last night at around 5pm, and it's shipping from NJ as well (I'm in CT, so actually 2 states away). I got the "it's shipped!" email this morningI checked the site and saw it's shipped, but still no word about tracking. It usually takes one day to get here, though I got a WD hard drive in less than 24 hours from the NJ depot.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
I just got my .edu email addresses re-activated, what's the phone number to call to do this $29.99 deal? I didn't see that in the OP, and win741.com is poo poo about sending me an email.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

wintermuteCF posted:

I just got my .edu email addresses re-activated, what's the phone number to call to do this $29.99 deal? I didn't see that in the OP, and win741.com is poo poo about sending me an email.

I used 1-877-696-7786 , then 7, and then 1 in the call tree. I told them a friend said I could get professional for 39$ bucks and then he said how about 29$ bucks? I confirmed he said full and forked over my CC info.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

RoryGilmore posted:

It's really retarded. I had an error after unpacking as well, but apparently you can just ignore that.

These are the instructions I followed after unpacking (with the error), and they worked flawlessly. I'm currently running windows 7 pro 64 fine.

1. From within XP 32-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit version of Win7 Professional upgrade.
2. Used the installer to extract the files, but received above mentioned error.
3. Checked the file size of the folder "extendedSetup" and noticed that it was 3.01 GB.
4. Moved extendedSetup folder to root (C:\)
5. Downloaded this file and extracted it into C:\WINDOWS\System32: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/general-discussion/32382d1256189124-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l-oscdimg.zip
6. Bought up command prompt and typed the following: oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -1WIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso
7. Burn ISO

If you get an invalid flag error after trying step 6, try entering
oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\win7.iso instead.

How can I know that my final .iso is undamaged/normal? Last thing I want to do is install a new OS off something full of errors.

EDIT: I ask because I got the invalid flag error, then accidentally typed -WIN_EN_DVD instead of -lWIN_EN_DVD. The ISO was still made, but I re-made it with the "-l..." and I am wondering why it worked with my accidental flag.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 23, 2009

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

decypher posted:

I used 1-877-696-7786 , then 7, and then 1 in the call tree. I told them a friend said I could get professional for 39$ bucks and then he said how about 29$ bucks? I confirmed he said full and forked over my CC info.

This really should be added to the OP.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have Windows 7 RC and Ubuntu dual-booting on my laptop. I want to completely remove Ubuntu and free that space up for Windows 7 to use. Any advice how to go about doing this without having to completely reinstall Windows 7 as the sole OS?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
A few things I have been meaning to look for from XP to 7:

In XP I had tweakui for these.

- Changing the login screen background.
- Changing what I want on the templates for the "new ->" submenu on a right click menu.
- Auto play handlers.

I think the autoplay stuff is now built into the Win7 control panels, but I am curious about the other two.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Erwin posted:

To be fair, the last 15 years does not indicate what Windows 7 is capable of. I upgraded Vista Business x64 to 7 Enterprise (trial) x64 and in the end I did not have to reinstall any software and everything is just as it was before the upgrade. I do not have any weird performance issues.

Having said that it took about 2 days and failed halfway through the first time with a very cryptic message that I had to Google and find out I had to set an environmental variable in Vista so that it didn't check something and it was an entire load of bullshit. Considering you should back everything up anyway, it's probably easier to just do a clean install.

Point is, upgrade installs are much better with Windows 7. They're not perfect, but your experience in the last 15 years isn't applicable here.

OTOH, backing up all your stuff and reinstalling is so much easier now than it was 15 years ago.

ryangs posted:

Wow. Chose the Pro version (since it comes with Media Center this time around!) for $29.99. Not a bad deal. Not at all.

Augh, I missed the super secret Pro option. Oh well, don't really need the extras, just would've been nice for free. :sigh:

On a related note, has anyone tried making an additional purchase through the 741 site? Might go ahead and grab another one for my laptop while it's cheap, though I haven't had any issues with 64-bit Vista there.

Ajax 99
Jul 14, 2006
Kibbles 'n bits? I think not!
Buglord

Footboy posted:

I had some issues with my Creative X-Fi sound card last night, and after several failed attempts at finding drivers, the solution the following morning was "didn't I buy a motherboard with onboard sound?"

I'm waiting to move the front-panel audio connectors to the motherboard just in case Creative gets their heads out of their asses, but I've already discovered that Windows 7 lets you route Line-In audio from one device to Line-Out on another device, which I've never been able to do before. Now I'm using USB Headphones to listen to Halo 3.

If you haven't given up yet, you might want to try the X-Fi installer package put together by Daniel_k on this page:

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Sound-Blaster/SB-X-Fi-Series-Support-Pack-2-0-05-15-2009/td-p/527485

Maybe it's the just the way his installer works and decides which files from the package to install in a particular order, but these worked perfectly for me (Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, & X-Fi Extreme Music).

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004

Johnny B. Goode posted:

If Vista was as bad as everyone who didn't use it claimed it was, then it would have ripped a hole in the universe and all of the bad opinions would have been sucked in.

This is true, I never found anything really wrong with Vista...a few minor bugs...like not remembering your folder settings/categories and annoyances like UAC (which I disabled completely even in 7) and unnecessary menus. Other than that, it was almost just like Windows 7. Apple really knew how to market, I guess...the review community is pretty bias and Apple lovers, so I can see how people got the impression of a complete train wreck.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
In case anyone was wondering, the answer to the question I was asking a few pages ago "What is the install size of Windows 7 professional?" is 10.5 GB.

Initial thoughts on my install on an Asus 901 netbook:

Dislikes: Didn't offer to format my drive for the install. My netbook has a 4gb drive and a 16gb drive. The 4gb drive had XP on it, and the 16gb drive was about half full. I wanted to install Windows 7 on the 16gb drive. It let me know that there wasn't enough space, and it had no options to format the drive during the install. I had to delete enough things to free up the disk space, and then it just plopped the windows directory on there and called it a day. I had to go around and clean stuff up manually afterwards.

I had some driver problems that are probably not the fault of windows. It prompted me to update my chipset drivers, and after I did windows would just boot to a black screen. I had to flash the bios to fix this.

And the thing takes a full minute to shut down. Like.. literally one minute. Does anyone else have this problem?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

The Gasmask posted:

I understand that everyone was pissed none of their hardware worked, but MS had given developers a shitload of time to make working drivers (Beta, RC) and most of them didn't do squat in that time. You can't blame Microsoft for developers laziness.

Those of us who know a little bit about how all this works definitely can't justify blaming MS for third-party developers being lazy. But I can definitely understand how the average PC user would think "This worked in XP, and now it doesn't in Vista. Fuckin' Microsoft!" and blame them for it. Still sucks that MS got blamed and Vista got a tarnished image (although not just because of this) for things that weren't their fault.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

the posted:

Dislikes: Didn't offer to format my drive for the install.

It's a bit buried, but it's in there. You need to toggle the advanced options when picking which drive you're installing 7 on -- the "Format" option shows up there.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the answer to the question I was asking a few pages ago "What is the install size of Windows 7 professional?" is 10.5 GB.

Initial thoughts on my install on an Asus 901 netbook:

Dislikes: Didn't offer to format my drive for the install. My netbook has a 4gb drive and a 16gb drive. The 4gb drive had XP on it, and the 16gb drive was about half full. I wanted to install Windows 7 on the 16gb drive. It let me know that there wasn't enough space, and it had no options to format the drive during the install. I had to delete enough things to free up the disk space, and then it just plopped the windows directory on there and called it a day. I had to go around and clean stuff up manually afterwards.

I had some driver problems that are probably not the fault of windows. It prompted me to update my chipset drivers, and after I did windows would just boot to a black screen. I had to flash the bios to fix this.

And the thing takes a full minute to shut down. Like.. literally one minute. Does anyone else have this problem?

There is an option to format if you are booting via DVD. After choosing "Install Now," pick Custom Install, select the appropriate drive, and click Options (I believe.)

Don't have any shut down slowdown to speak of; perhaps Windows is getting snagged on a particular piece of hardware or software? I did run into a whole feast of lag when installing the OS, which seems to be a problem rooted back into early-2009 beta testing days, but it's no big deal.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Mission accomplished, and Win7 Professional Full (Disc) procured for $29.99. Thanks, Megathread!

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I just tried to call Microsoft, but the guy's computer kept crashing. He's going to call me back in about 30 minutes to take the rest of my order. Hope he isn't using a Microsoft ordering system. :laugh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They charged me $5 for shipping, so $35.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I just bought the upgrade version.

I got the impression from the thread that you could install the 64-bit version from an activated 32-bit Vista if you do a clean install.

I can't even start the setup using the 64-bit version without compatibility errors. Do I need to torrent a 64-bit full Vista ISO, reinstall Vista, then upgrade to 7 from that?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Dominoes posted:

I got the impression from the thread that you could install the 64-bit version from an activated 32-bit Vista if you do a clean install.

You have to boot from the install disc to upgrade from 32 to 64.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

You have to boot from the install disc to upgrade from 32 to 64.
Thanks, didn't know you could do this with the upgrade disc.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Just did the jump. Did a clean install, setup was smooth as hell. No driver hitches, nothing. Used the Ninite site and it worked pretty great. Right now I'm just transferring my files back from my external drive, but so far I'm really loving it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
So far trying to get windows 7 to work has been a frustrating nightmare. I did the student upgrade deal. The download manager tripped my school's resnet up and was rate-capped at 56k. It took 9 hours to download. Now that I have the files, none of which are a loving iso, they won't extract. The exe crashes with "Unloading the Box: An error was encountered. Unspecified error." every single time. I redownloaded it overnight and am still getting the same error. I tried this but it doesn't work either. I really have no idea how to proceed and would honestly just like a refund so I can use the MSDN copy I have already, but Digital River doesn't give any refunds.

I've read the last several pages and couldn't find anything that worked but is there anything I should try (or try again)?

e: Going from vista 32 premium to the same version of 7 if that makes a difference.