Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

BigKOfJustice posted:

Speaking of vehicle mounted compressors, this was a nice tool we picked up:

http://www.airjackusa.com/
My wife works as a dispatcher for AAA Auto Club. Their trucks exclusively use those air jacks for tire changes. They are fast and awesome and much less likely to damage the vehicle since the force is more distributed. They don't even have to really look for the jack points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

PBCrunch posted:

My wife works as a dispatcher for AAA Auto Club. Their trucks exclusively use those air jacks for tire changes. They are fast and awesome and much less likely to damage the vehicle since the force is more distributed. They don't even have to really look for the jack points.

If you inflated it really, really fast, could you flip over the car?

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000

oxbrain posted:

What's your budget?

Accuracy costs money. The HF wrench should be close enough to be within tolerances, you'll be spending $80-150 before you get much better. NAPA will sell you a wrench for ~$200 that will be plenty for any car related work.
i was thinking around 80, up to low 100s? point made though, i have no idea what the design tolerances in the suspension are. i just figured if not destroying my bearings or having stuff fall out meant spending another hundred or so, it would probably be worth it, and i'll definitely be able to amortize the cost over time.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Canadians, Princess Auto has auto darkening welding helmets on for 48 dollars, 1'4" die grinders for $9.99 and a bunch of other good poo poo is on sale. The helmet I have personally used and it works awesome. Sale is Oct 27th to Nov. 1st.

http://emailsend.mf1.ca/T/ViewEmail/r/672BC501CE349637/3F3ED18A1BDD076D9A8E73400EDACAB4

http://www.princessauto.com/current...le+items+online

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Suniikaa posted:

Canadians, Princess Auto has auto darkening welding helmets on for 48 dollars

Sweeet. Need to make a battery bracket for the 323 and this will be much better than the old industrial one I have. :dance:

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Suniikaa posted:

I have the same model. It works great.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Suniikaa posted:

Sgt Fox posted:

I have the same model. It works great.

Power Fist makes another sale. :dance:

And cause the wife gave the OK on something else there too (old birthday gift cards made this on sale);

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Getting completely fed up with my 4th Craftsman 3/8" ratchet breaking in the last 2 years, I bought myself an early birthday present. Here's hoping BluePoints can last me a little longer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sockington posted:

And cause the wife gave the OK on something else there too (old birthday gift cards made this on sale);

Do you mind me asking how much that ran you? I'm getting read to pull the motor from the parts car and may be in need of one. Canadian->US currency conversion please/thanks.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

FormulaXFD posted:

Getting completely fed up with my 4th Craftsman 3/8" ratchet breaking in the last 2 years, I bought myself an early birthday present. Here's hoping BluePoints can last me a little longer.

Isn't Blue-Point the Snap-On budget brand?

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it is. I'm just hoping they last more than 2 years before needing a rebuild. Supposedly SnapOn is still honoring warranties (Bluepoints get similar warranties), which will be the big deal.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

How have you managed to break so many craftsman ratchets?

Granted, I don't think I've even had my hands on any craftsman ratchets made in the last 7-10 years, but has the quality really gone downhill that badly? I think we have 7 or so older ratchets that are still doing pretty damned good for their age.

We're generally pretty hard on tools at home and at work, and I've only ever broken one ratchet before, and that was while hanging off of it underneath a car on a lift and sorta reverse-jump/hanging off it. It was some horrible chinese Mac knockoff, too.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

First, gently caress my buddy logged in and didn't log out.

Hypnolobster posted:

How have you managed to break so many craftsman ratchets?

Granted, I don't think I've even had my hands on any craftsman ratchets made in the last 7-10 years, but has the quality really gone downhill that badly? I think we have 7 or so older ratchets that are still doing pretty damned good for their age.

We're generally pretty hard on tools at home and at work, and I've only ever broken one ratchet before, and that was while hanging off of it underneath a car on a lift and sorta reverse-jump/hanging off it. It was some horrible chinese Mac knockoff, too.

I lost the one I had bought 4+ years ago somewhere when I had to move garages. I bought a small 3/8" kit from Sears, then after 6 months of use the ratchet seized. Took it to sears and they shrugged, denying the warranty under "misuse and abuse." I've been needing something and so I kept buying newer replacements about every 6 months. Just said "gently caress it." These lovely ratchets now serve as breaker bars on poo poo I don't care about.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Man, your Sears is run by jerks :(. I've never been even slightly questioned about replacing stuff, and I do things like bring in wrenches that have been bent with a torch and screwdrivers that've been ground down 30 times. I know people go to garage sales occasionally and buy the worst looking craftsman tools for 10c apiece and sears tends to replace those too.

e: VVV 30 year old dryer motors make fantastic stationary wire wheels.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 26, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I've worked on a lot of machines. And I've never broken a rachet.. And i'm not gentle. I am not beyond taking a mallet to the handle on a rachet to break lose a bolt. Or standing on a rachet.

Speaking of tools. Have any of you built your own? Say your own grinder, or buffind wheel? Perhaps a special breaker bar? Or the right spanner to undo a custom nut that honda decided had to be on a clutch. (I had to do that...) I'm building a mill right now. Which will eventually be CNC.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Had to make plenty of fixtures for mills and grind screwdrivers to be various tools.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Nerobro posted:

Speaking of tools. Have any of you built your own?

I used a hammer and vice grips to make my own 19mm socket out of a piece of intake manifold. I never go to the junkyard without a full toolbox now.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What do I need to replace the hand valve on this ex-freon-can air tank? It leaks. I didn't build it, friend found cleaning out a house and gave to me.

the guage, the hose, the schrader valve (for filling the tank) and maybe some type of pressure relief thing are all on some kind manifold that looks like it can be removed from the valve. none of that stuff leaks.

I just need the valve I guess, is that part of the freon tank originally or does that look like it was added?

How high can I charge this thing? I take it to work to blow poo poo out with, and charge it to 100psi all the time and it seems ok, I'm scared to go higher until anonymous internet users tell me it's ok.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 28, 2009

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Hypnolobster posted:

Man, your Sears is run by jerks :(. I've never been even slightly questioned about replacing stuff, and I do things like bring in wrenches that have been bent with a torch and screwdrivers that've been ground down 30 times. I know people go to garage sales occasionally and buy the worst looking craftsman tools for 10c apiece and sears tends to replace those too.

I used to be a hardware monkey at Sears in high school, and have swapped screwdrivers that have been bent from use as pry bars, old grimey as gently caress wrenches broken in two, regular sockets that had been used on an impact wrench and snapped in two.. and honestly, those replacement ratchet innards are like $2 if they wouldn't give you one then they're the worst Sears ever.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Wagonburner posted:

What do I need to replace the hand valve on this ex-freon-can air tank? It leaks. I didn't build it, friend found cleaning out a house and gave to me.

the guage, the hose, the schrader valve (for filling the tank) and maybe some type of pressure relief thing are all on some kind manifold that looks like it can be removed from the valve. none of that stuff leaks.

I just need the valve I guess, is that part of the freon tank originally or does that look like it was added?

How high can I charge this thing? I take it to work to blow poo poo out with, and charge it to 100psi all the time and it seems ok, I'm scared to go higher until anonymous internet users tell me it's ok.

The freon bottles i've seen all had valves like that on them, you might be able to replace it, hard to tell from that picture. As for pressure, the tank is probably rated to more than your compressor can put out so don't worry too much about overfilling it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Interested in finally getting some air tools in the future...mostly light duty impact and air ratchet. Maybe some wire wheel or cutting wheel use. Definitely no paint or sand blasting.

Harbor freight have anything good that would meet these requirements? Or am I better off getting something from a pawn shop. Tank/compressor will indoors, 120v.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So I asked.... But didn't offer up my own.

I'm building a 3 axis cnc mill. I think that qualifies as "building your own tools"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3216673

So far, I've been able to make "some" progress every day. As little as tapping eight holes some days, to as much as cutting out 13 parts another day.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

BraveUlysses posted:

Interested in finally getting some air tools in the future...mostly light duty impact and air ratchet. Maybe some wire wheel or cutting wheel use. Definitely no paint or sand blasting.

Harbor freight have anything good that would meet these requirements? Or am I better off getting something from a pawn shop. Tank/compressor will indoors, 120v.

For light duty HF air tools are fine. They use more air for the power compared to more expensive tools, but the ones I've used have been durable enough. Keep them well oiled and they'll be fine.

A good compressor will run cheaper tools better than a lovely compressor will run expensive tools.

quote:

Shop/garage compressor buying guide.

1. Don't buy an oilless compressor. I put this first because it's really that important. They are worse than oiled compressors in every way that matters. An oiled compressor will outlast an oilless many times over, run quieter, use less electricity, and put less heat(condensation) into your air.

2. Shop tools use a LOT of air. Look up the cfm(AT LOAD) of tools you expect to use and size your tank/compressor based on that. As a general rule you want a compressor capable of at least half the cfm of your tools, more for tools that see extended use like grinders.

3. Don't focus on HP ratings, instead compare based on cfm@90psi. An inefficient 5HP compressor can be worse than an efficient 2HP compressor. The only thing HP is good for is to determine power usage.

4. Upright tanks drain better and take up less space, but have to be bolted down or strapped to a wall. A big tank filled with high pressure air is basically a bomb, if you can't secure a stand-up then don't get one.

5. If you can, run hard lines. They help dry the air, cut down on long air lines to trip over or sever, increase your effective tank capacity, and make you look like a pro. Black iron pipe is dirt cheap, easy to assemble, and very durable. Copper is better, but more complex and can be dangerous. Don't even think about using PVC.

6. The best bang for the buck is 60 gallons. At that size they are intended for shop use, almost always oiled, and capable of at least 10cfm@90psi. It's a common enough size you can find them used for $300-400 in decent enough shape. Larger than 60 gallons and the cost goes up faster than performance, under 60 gallons is generally poo poo.

7. When buying used, the drain valve is usually a good indicator of how well the unit was maintained and what condition the inside of the tank is in. If it's rusted shut, halve your offer. If you hear sloshing inside the tank, run away it's not worth the risk.

8. Name brands are good because you can find replacement parts easily. Don't rule out off-brands though, they're generally made by the same companies and often use the exact same parts.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How hard is bending and flaring exhaust pipe, and what are the right tools? Cutting it seems like a breeze. My current cat is dead, not OEM, and has no identifying marks; to put anything on I'm going to have to bend the output pipe.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Black Friday HF ad:
http://tgiblackfriday.com/merchant_images/HarborFreight-2009-Ad.pdf

I'm probably in for one of those 8 gallon compressor/tank setups.

vx15i
Feb 9, 2003
I have one of those compressors. It was damaged out of the box, twice, but other than that it's been great. Just open the box before you leave.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been fighting the urge to buy a crane, for $100 I can't say no.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Can someone recommend me a good hand truck? I'd like to get one that won't just break on me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

angryhampster posted:

Black Friday HF ad:
http://tgiblackfriday.com/merchant_images/HarborFreight-2009-Ad.pdf

I'm probably in for one of those 8 gallon compressor/tank setups.

Holy crap, that tool storage unit is cheap! At that price I can't imagine it has ball bearing slides, but if it's still sturdy it'd still be worth it. Anyone have one?

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
We bought one here at work. No ball bearings on the slides, but it's fairly sturdy. Put a lot of weight in the drawers and they don't slide well, but that's to be expected. The top lid is kinda flimsy though, but for the price it's a good deal.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
Tool storage like that really makes me appreciate that my dad works for MAC Tools. Makes me want to go clean up all of my tools now :(

ps: you haven't lived until you've gotten tons of nice tools for free.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

blankooie posted:

Tool storage like that really makes me appreciate that my dad works for MAC Tools. Makes me want to go clean up all of my tools now :(

ps: you haven't lived until you've gotten tons of nice tools for free.

I hate you.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Doctor Zero posted:

Holy crap, that tool storage unit is cheap! At that price I can't imagine it has ball bearing slides, but if it's still sturdy it'd still be worth it. Anyone have one?

Not sure if this helps but I played with both of them at the big retail store in South Carolina. The red tool storage chest I'd say is nicer than my basic red Craftsman which has, IIRC, Nylon/plastic roller slides but the black one is not. Id use it for tools that I don't use that much as it can be had for great prices.

EDIT: A similar setup from craftsman costs more than double what this one does.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 29, 2009

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Rhyno posted:

I've been fighting the urge to buy a crane, for $100 I can't say no.

I've got a 2 ton folding crane on craigslist for $150, I'd sell it to you for $125.
I wont ship it though.
http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/1433666397.html

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
GARARRRRRRRGHAGH Goddamn you Harbor Freight, I'm in desperate need of a larger tool chest.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

GARARRRRRRRGHAGH Goddamn you Harbor Freight, I'm in desperate need of a larger tool chest.

I know exactly what you mean, but I don't know what to do with my old 3-drawer chest...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have never welded before but it's something I would like to learn about and how to do. Now this is is just and idea and I know I shouldn't buy stuff like this from Harbor Freight but for the price I can't see the harm.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94056
At the end of this month they'll be putting it on sale for $97.99 and I have a handful of 20% off coupons so that would drop it under $80.

Would I be wasting my time/money on this or would this be a good starter kit?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Rhyno posted:

I have never welded before but it's something I would like to learn about and how to do. Now this is is just and idea and I know I shouldn't buy stuff like this from Harbor Freight but for the price I can't see the harm.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94056
At the end of this month they'll be putting it on sale for $97.99 and I have a handful of 20% off coupons so that would drop it under $80.

Would I be wasting my time/money on this or would this be a good starter kit?

What are you wanting to weld?

Tractors, yea probably fine, cars, no, get a MIG not a lovely lovely flux.

Fabrication that you can clamp things in place or on a table? Get a TIG.

Also, get HF's auto darkening helmet, its pretty awesome and cheap.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

two_beer_bishes posted:

I know exactly what you mean, but I don't know what to do with my old 3-drawer chest...

Night table stand. If Liz Miles does it you know its cool:

http://hotrod.automotive.com/67200/hrdp-0612-1968-chevy-camaro/photos7-0.html

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Had to borrow my dad's drill.

Well, it wasn't really his, but his late grandfather's, so I was using my great-grandpa's drill. From 1956.

:smug:

Needless to say, they don't make them like they used to.