Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Aranan posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzdjc13OfFM&feature=fvw

Neat, but not practical for tiny paint pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

That's a lot of bases! Sadly none of them were the one I have been looking for, though there are some great resources here. Thanks!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Destro85 posted:

That's a lot of bases! Sadly none of them were the one I have been looking for, though there are some great resources here. Thanks!

I posted it before. I'll dig it up in a moment, but you can find it via Dakka. It was on someones WHFB Slannesh warriors blog.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Found it!

http://xenite.wordpress.com/modeling-painting-and-hobby-articles/making-scenic-bases-for-miniatures/

I picked up some super sculpy the other night and wanted to try my hand at this. I think this kind of a look will go pretty well with my knights.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Aranan, I posted that chunk of links in the OP

Everyone else, feel free to post any rad tutorial links and whatnot

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

holy poo poo these bases :o

http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=698#i/podstawki_round/big/round_buzie_40mm_02.jpg

http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=812#i/podstawki_round/big/chaos_base_01.jpg

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Scibor is the man. I saw some of the first ones in person the other day, absolutely beautiful.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Unfortunately the ancient runes square bases only go as small as 25mm.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Some of the minis are cool too, but he seems to have a really big thing with dwarves....like everything is dwarf related.

But the bases are just wicked badass, and as far as resin bases go, "reasonable" pricing

5 for $6, pretty standard

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

drat, at that price, I wish I had the space for it. But I just don't have somewhere I could keep the thing when not in use.

I can prime at the store probably, I'm almost positive they have a booth.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

I wish the carnage base was square, that would be awesome for a greater daemon or something.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

neongrey posted:

drat, at that price, I wish I had the space for it. But I just don't have somewhere I could keep the thing when not in use.

I can prime at the store probably, I'm almost positive they have a booth.

You could maybe build cleverly so you can fold the arms flat when you're not using it? If you did, it wouldn't take up much room...

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I picked up two boxes of lootas and a mek with KFF today, maybe I'll actually get some stuff done next month woot.

Anyone here assembled lootas before? I'm wondering how annoying it would be to magnetize them to use as burnas also.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

good luck getting the burnas hoses to actually attach at their back without a gap, much less magnetizing the fuckers :\

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I kinda figured they'd be a pain in the rear end. Didn't know about the hoses though. Oh well I was only really interested in lootas anyway.

Captain Scurvy
May 29, 2009
Ok here we go with my first finished guy in a bit,

Librarian

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nice man, thats prob your best model yet :) Are you using a camera flash? I know that blue isnt that light in real life

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Captain Scurvy posted:

Librarian

Very clean! Are you going to dullcoat him?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Captain Scurvy posted:

Librarian

If you dullcote him he'll look so much better

Captain Scurvy
May 29, 2009
he is, the flash is what makes him look so shiny he doesnt shimmer like that in actual view. Once i have cash money ill be getting a lighting box so i dont need to make him flash like that.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972
Does anyone have any nice begginer guides to green-stuffing?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

commission thing

typhus

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Forget Noise Marines, this guy's covered in trumpets.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Okay guys, I've been trying to paint a dude in armor (specifically, this bastard) and when painting his smooth armor with GW's foundation paints, it's coming out with a grainy texture instead of being smooth.

How do I fix this? Do I need to *gulp* thin my paints??

Also if anyone can recommend good colour schemes, let me know. I was going with mainly blue, yellow trim but I'm thinking mainly black/grey with red trim now.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Okay guys, I've been trying to paint a dude in armor (specifically, this bastard) and when painting his smooth armor with GW's foundation paints, it's coming out with a grainy texture instead of being smooth.

Also if anyone can recommend good colour schemes, let me know. I was going with mainly blue, yellow trim but I'm thinking mainly black/grey with red trim now.

Yes, foundation paints can get clumpy if you paint straight from the pot. Which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Thin your paints.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

!amicable posted:

Yes, foundation paints can get clumpy if you paint straight from the pot. Which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Thin your paints.

Any reason I shouldn't be painting straight from the pot? I tend to do this a lot, and want to work on my painting habits.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

bobvonunheil posted:

Any reason I shouldn't be painting straight from the pot? I tend to do this a lot, and want to work on my painting habits.

Without adding a little bit of water, the paint is very thick. It will show brush strokes or get clumping or you'll gently caress up and get poo poo tons of paint into a crack or face and completely fill it in.

But thinning your paint too much makes it runny and sag. So have fun practicing (it's not hard to learn though)

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
posting this here as well, let's say someone was insane and wanted to build a 40k scale zeppelin that was about the size of a valkyrie, would anyone have any advice or resources to get the insane person on the right track?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Catfishenfuego posted:

posting this here as well, let's say someone was insane and wanted to build a 40k scale zeppelin that was about the size of a valkyrie, would anyone have any advice or resources to get the insane person on the right track?

I think it would have to be a lot bigger than a valkyrie unless it was for epic scale.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

foundation paints need LOTS of thinning

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I think it would have to be a lot bigger than a valkyrie unless it was for epic scale.

This is beyond awesome. I need to go find if he scratch built this or worked off another model.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm pretty sure that's an epic scale model, just so you know.

Does anyone know where I can get green stuff that isn't GW? I know there's some place that sells a huge bubble-tape style roll of it for cheap, but I can't find it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

the warstore

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Aranan posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an epic scale model, just so you know.

Does anyone know where I can get green stuff that isn't GW? I know there's some place that sells a huge bubble-tape style roll of it for cheap, but I can't find it.
if you go to maelstrom games and search for 'milliput' they got all the varieties.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The GW 'Green Stuff' is just Kneadatite Yellow/Blue. If you google Kneadatite putty you will get a dozen places selling it cheaper than they do. I'm pissed I ever bought any from GW.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

miniwargaming in Canada is good for greenstuff

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

There arent enough wtc emoticons for this

http://www.eden-blog.com/Galerie/Clowns/
http://www.eden-blog.com/Galerie/Mutants/

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

There arent enough wtc emoticons for this

http://www.eden-blog.com/Galerie/Clowns/
http://www.eden-blog.com/Galerie/Mutants/
Wait.

Those mutants are just black people.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Haha, oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Theyre...uh...painted nicely!

I love post apoc stuff, and there really isnt enough of it...but holy poo poo.

• Locked thread