Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

So, my brothers and sisters in :black101:

I need some more melodic/folk tinged black metal. I'm a tad burnt out on the Unholy Trinity of Borknagar/Vintersorg/Solefald, and I'm looking for something different. Bonus points if they shriek in foreign languages and/or use bizarre instruments. (For the record, I also like Darkthrone).

Something like the bastard child of Darkthrone and Alcest would be ideal. Thanks!

I know I shriek it like a bastard convert of EvilMoJoJoJo but are you listening to Moonsorrow? No, really, are you loving digging the poo poo out of Moonsorrow yet? I was listening to Pimeä on my commute just now and I freaking love that track. From the "Hey! Ha ha ha ha" to the subsequent bits that are like someone whacking you across the face with their fists to the lyrics oh god the lyrics

:black101::swoon:

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Go listen to Poccolus. Their self-titled album features some folky passages and some straight up black metal featuring some varg-like screams. Then go listen to everything Nasheim have ever recorded, it's not folk anything but it's good.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Kaiho posted:

I know I shriek it like a bastard convert of EvilMoJoJoJo but are you listening to Moonsorrow? No, really, are you loving digging the poo poo out of Moonsorrow yet? I was listening to Pimeä on my commute just now and I freaking love that track. From the "Hey! Ha ha ha ha" to the subsequent bits that are like someone whacking you across the face with their fists to the lyrics oh god the lyrics

:black101::swoon:

I have some misc Moonsorrow on my iPod, and I have been listening to it. I love them. I just never connected them to 'black' before, and I have no idea why. But they are on my list of 'bands to explore more'. Thanks for the reminder!

And hey! I discovered the Live365 station 'Extreme Metal Sounds', and they're playing Limbonic Art, which I am digging a lot.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

I have some misc Moonsorrow on my iPod, and I have been listening to it. I love them. I just never connected them to 'black' before, and I have no idea why. But they are on my list of 'bands to explore more'. Thanks for the reminder!

I know someone earlier poo-pooed me for saying that Moonsorrow are folk/black but listen to the entirety of Verisäkeet and come back and tell me there isn't a lot of black metal in there.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Doesn't Wyrd have some folk elements to it?

brewmeister
Sep 23, 2008
I chose the username "brewmeister". That tells you all you need to know about me.

Qu Appelle posted:

I need some more melodic/folk tinged black metal. I'm a tad burnt out on the Unholy Trinity of Borknagar/Vintersorg/Solefald, and I'm looking for something different. Bonus points if they shriek in foreign languages and/or use bizarre instruments. (For the record, I also like Darkthrone).

Something like the bastard child of Darkthrone and Alcest would be ideal. Thanks!

Windir
Falkenbach
Asmegin
Einherjer Just folk metal
Equilibrium
Manegarm
Menhir
Thyrfing

Just listened to some Equilibrium and Menhir, forgot how good this poo poo is. Check out Equilibrium-Turis Fratyr.

brewmeister fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 22, 2009

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

One of my favorite folky black metal acts right now are DarkestrahI recently reocmmended them on the forums, but that was in the other metal thread, so I'll do it again right here. I don't listen that much to folk metal, bt there's something about this band I really like. Also, they're from Kyrgyzstan, so the folk elements they bring to the table are somewhat different form what I'm used to hearing. And they have some throat singing as well, I love that stuff.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Kaiho posted:

I know someone earlier poo-pooed me for saying that Moonsorrow are folk/black but listen to the entirety of Verisäkeet and come back and tell me there isn't a lot of black metal in there.

I'm giving fresh ears to Jumalten Kaupunki, and yeah. I can hear it now. Wow this is a great song!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

I'm giving fresh ears to Jumalten Kaupunki, and yeah. I can hear it now. Wow this is a great song!

Sorry to post an (incomplete) YouTube song but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUKGIIursvE

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Lol at OV HELL. They sound like they're trying to imitate I.

I still don't get why people think you can make black metal with verses and choruses.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Qu Appelle posted:

Get Beowulf by Grendel (the Italian one).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSmrg4RgZuE

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

catbread.jpg posted:

I still don't get why people think you can make black metal with verses and choruses.

It seems to be working out ok for the guy from Arckanum

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

catbread.jpg posted:

gently caress that, there are several songs with a verse/chorus structure on the early Bathory albums, so it can by definition not be wrong.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The new Gorgoroth album sounds so incredibly plastic. A proper Grieghallen style production would've done wonders (are Pytten and his studio even around anymore?).

Also checked out Ov Hell. The first song is just terrible. It sounds like they snatched random riffs from Snorre Ruch's bin of things that did not turn out that good and asked someone to tap dance to them. The other song drones on and on without any points of interest until it actually gets kinda good at the end.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
The Gorgoroth-concert in Trondheim was pretty excellent, they just played one or two songs from the new album as far as I can remember though. The stage-show wasn't as over the top anymore, they only had two huge inverted crucifixes and a gallows pole. However, Pest absolutely slays Gaahl on vocals (I've seen them with Gaahl twice), and since they played both Profetens Åpenbaring and Blood Stains The Circle, I walked away satisfied. The only real letdown was that the Trondheim crowd was really lame, with emo/hardcore kids trying to start a moshpit from the very first song. Also, they only had Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam for sale after the concert, not even any new t-shirts. And this was supposed to be the release-concert for the new album.

On a side-note, are anyone else planning to attend Lifelover and Urfaust in Oslo next month? I'm going to do my best to be able to afford the flight down there, that looks to be a fantastic concert.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

catbread.jpg posted:

Lol at OV HELL. They sound like they're trying to imitate I.

I'm listening to Ghosting now, and it's terrible. King's a decent bassist, but the music he writes never strikes me as good. OV HELL has a talented enough band--aside from Shagrath--but the music is incredibly generic and boring. King should just focus on playing bass in Sahg, because that's the only decent project he has going on right now (that is, of course, assuming Abbath's I is on hiatus due to Immortal's return).

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Razor posted:

I'm listening to Ghosting now, and it's terrible. King's a decent bassist, but the music he writes never strikes me as good. OV HELL has a talented enough band--aside from Shagrath--but the music is incredibly generic and boring. King should just focus on playing bass in Sahg, because that's the only decent project he has going on right now (that is, of course, assuming Abbath's I is on hiatus due to Immortal's return).

You and I frequently agree, so I checked out Sahg. Band rules, end of story.

And relistening to the Ov Hell tracks, I think you're right in saying they're generic and boring. If they get rid of Shagrath (and his obvious influence) and incorporate more the straight ahead BM that at least Frost and Teloch are used to, this band will be killer.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
Just sayin', I loving love this song, Nazxul's Vow Of Vengeance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRwmuRx1FqY

I've never seen another song be so epic and boring at the same time, it's drat near hypnotic. Maybe it's black metal shoegaze??

Here it is live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1HthUexcs4

The rest of their stuff is ok too,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKHcVrpANA&feature=PlayList&p=29744074E088FFD4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Nazxul are loving incredible and their new album is one of my favourite things this year.

Hollenthon's latest EP seems to be defiantly not leaking so I guess I'll have to wait to hear that along with the new Urgehal (which should be next month, can't loving wait)

e; Speaking of waiting, I really wish Eudaimony would actually release something. I'm beginning to suspect Eudaimony exists just to tease me with the promise of my perfect dream lineup.

Caucasus Belli fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 25, 2009

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin
Went to Moonspell/Secrets of the Moon last night.

Secrets of the Moon played 4 songs in about 40 minutes, closing with "Lucifer Speaks." One unique aspect of the stage show was that the drummer was the main headbanger/hair-twirler. He also seemed to be the most expressive, though this could have been because the other members spent a lot of time facing the back of the stage.

Moonspell employed background visuals, and while they were mostly just animations of fire and dripping blood, they added to the atmosphere. Fernando Ribeiro's banter was amusing as always ("This is a challenge to see if you can headbang as furiously as Moonspell," "Part of every person is bestiality"), and I also enjoyed his skull necklace and pentagram-emblazoned glove. The set started pretty slow (or rather, it was fast songs, but nothing that I liked), but then the group "traveled back in time" and played a lot of great stuff from "Wolfheart" and "Irreligious," most notably "Alma Mater" (set closer) and "Full Moon Madness" (encore closer).

For anyone wondering if it's worth the $20 ticket price, I'd say definitely. I would have said it's more than worth it, but I assessed a deduction for having to endure Divine Heresy. If only Moonsorrow had been on hand to finish the lunar bill.

EDIT VVVV Yes on "Scorpion Flower," but no chick, not even an animated one on the white screen, just recorded vocals.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
That's an interesting lineup, not two bands I'd expect to see together. And a loving bargain for $20, even if 40 minutes is nowhere near enough SotM.

Did Moonspell subject you to Scorpion Flower? When I saw them they brought a chick specially so they could play it.

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday

Caucasus Belli posted:

That's an interesting lineup, not two bands I'd expect to see together. And a loving bargain for $20, even if 40 minutes is nowhere near enough SotM.

Did Moonspell subject you to Scorpion Flower? When I saw them they brought a chick specially so they could play it.

Secrets of the Moon were fantastic when I saw them a few weeks back in London, but the short set they had then really seemed to hurt them - they need a full headline-length set to really do their material justice.

The show itself was absolutely stolen by a wonderful Icelandic band on support duty called Sólstafir who before then, i'd never even heard of. A weird combination of stoner-y post-black space-metal that you could just lose yourself in. I love seeing a previously unknown band and walking out of the venue completely sold on them, and these guys absolutely nailed it.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Garbage Day posted:

Went to Moonspell/Secrets of the Moon last night.

Secrets of the Moon played 4 songs in about 40 minutes, closing with "Lucifer Speaks." One unique aspect of the stage show was that the drummer was the main headbanger/hair-twirler. He also seemed to be the most expressive, though this could have been because the other members spent a lot of time facing the back of the stage.

Moonspell employed background visuals, and while they were mostly just animations of fire and dripping blood, they added to the atmosphere. Fernando Ribeiro's banter was amusing as always ("This is a challenge to see if you can headbang as furiously as Moonspell," "Part of every person is bestiality"), and I also enjoyed his skull necklace and pentagram-emblazoned glove. The set started pretty slow (or rather, it was fast songs, but nothing that I liked), but then the group "traveled back in time" and played a lot of great stuff from "Wolfheart" and "Irreligious," most notably "Alma Mater" (set closer) and "Full Moon Madness" (encore closer).

For anyone wondering if it's worth the $20 ticket price, I'd say definitely. I would have said it's more than worth it, but I assessed a deduction for having to endure Divine Heresy. If only Moonsorrow had been on hand to finish the lunar bill.

EDIT VVVV Yes on "Scorpion Flower," but no chick, not even an animated one on the white screen, just recorded vocals.

Sounds like a really awesome show. Moonspell has been one of my favorite bands for rpetty much forever, I would love to see them live. Do Fernando's vocals sound similar live as they do on albums?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Roasted Donut posted:

Do Fernando's vocals sound similar live as they do on albums?

I too am interested as to whether he actually inserts a hot potato in his mouth on-stage before doing clean parts

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stoo posted:

The show itself was absolutely stolen by a wonderful Icelandic band on support duty called Sólstafir who before then, i'd never even heard of. A weird combination of stoner-y post-black space-metal that you could just lose yourself in. I love seeing a previously unknown band and walking out of the venue completely sold on them, and these guys absolutely nailed it.

I've only heard their latest album but I liked it, it's sort of a bunch of other rock subgenres mixed with black metal, which is becoming increasingly common. Different songs switch it up but I can definitely hear some similarities to Primordial, Anathema and Amesoeurs.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

m-o-o-n posted:

The new Gorgoroth album sounds so incredibly plastic.

Agreed. I wasn't too impressed with it. Felt pretty lifeless. The real bitch is that's how I felt about the new Immortal album, so I was expecting the new Gorgoroth to make up for it. Disappointment all around.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
The new Gorgoroth can suck my dick, it's boring as hell and the band doesn't work without Gaahl. Still disappointed over God Seen not materializing...

Also just found out Imperial Vengeance are playing in London on halloween night, so, so going to that. 6th Airborne Division live would be the high point of my loving year.

Apso
May 30, 2008

m-o-o-n posted:

The new Gorgoroth album sounds so incredibly plastic. A proper Grieghallen style production would've done wonders (are Pytten and his studio even around anymore?).
I liked it for the most part, with the very real exception of "Rebirth" wherein Infernus proved himself to be an utter twat. Good to see Pest back though, I've always preferred his vocals to Gaahl's.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

The new Gorgoroth can suck my dick, it's boring as hell and the band doesn't work without Gaahl.
Although I agree that the new Gorgoroth can suck a large amount of dicks, Gaahl was a poo poo singer. As for Gorgoroth not working without him, how about the first (and best) three albums? Gaahl and King ruined Gorgoroth in my opinion, and I hoped Infernus was going to rectify that with the new album. He sure as hell didn't, though.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

m-o-o-n posted:

I too am interested as to whether he actually inserts a hot potato in his mouth on-stage before doing clean parts

He does a spectacular job of matching the vocals, both clean and harsh. If anything, his harsh vocals sound even throatier live.

And yes, regarding SotM drummer, he is very animated when playing. At the Toronto show he was probably more into his playing than most of the fans were for the entire concert.

I'm thinking of seeing Marduk when they come to town. How are they live? Worth the forty bucks?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I'll go middle of the road here and say that while Quantos is by far my least favorite album by them, Pest sounds great on it. The production sucks, and I'll agree with the person who mentioned earlier that they should've stuck with the guys/studio who did the Grieghallen disc.

On the other hand, Gaahl has a ferocity in his voice that I think is unmatched. The Grieghallen session is a good example, as well as his work with Gaahlskagg. I don't think he and King ruined the band, in fact, a lot of the writing and vocal work on their (used loosely) albums make up some of my favorite Gorgoroth tracks.

With my first few listens of Quantos, Infernus sounded like he was really trying to recapture the awesomeness of the first three Gorgoroth discs. With additional listens, it's only more apparent that he didn't.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

m-o-o-n posted:

I'm just now hearing it, and plastic is definetly the word. :arghfist: Tomas Asklund :arghfist: we haven't forgotten that your sloppy, clicky performance did to Storm of the Light's Bane!

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

stairway to hippo posted:

As for Gorgoroth not working without him, how about the first (and best) three albums?

I don't personally give all that much of a poo poo about those either, but I see your point.

Guzwar posted:

I'm thinking of seeing Marduk when they come to town. How are they live? Worth the forty bucks?

They were extremely good when I saw them a few years back and I'd easily rate it as one of the best live shows of my life. Rosten is such an incredible stage presence that he's a whole experience in his own right really, and they played an absolutely top-notch set. Can't wait to see them again in january. (had my eye permanently damaged at that gig though)

I think how much you get out of it depends a little on how much you like Wormwood to be honest, since they'll more than likely play a lot of stuff from that.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

Guzwar posted:

He does a spectacular job of matching the vocals, both clean and harsh. If anything, his harsh vocals sound even throatier live.

And yes, regarding SotM drummer, he is very animated when playing. At the Toronto show he was probably more into his playing than most of the fans were for the entire concert.

Agreed completely with this assessment. The harsh vocals can be extremely throaty and loud, to the point of some microphone crackling during the first few songs, but after that everything was matched pretty much perfectly.

Regarding Marduk, they're really intense live and I recommend seeing them, but I'm wondering who else is on that bill for $40? The show is $13 here, with Nachtmystium opening.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Caucasus Belli posted:

The new Gorgoroth can suck my dick, it's boring as hell and the band doesn't work without Gaahl.

Quantos is much more interesting than Ad Majorem. Also, Gaahl wasn't even significant in Gorgoroth until 2000. Considering they released four albums without him, I think it's safe to say that the band works fine without Gaahl.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

p4vl posted:

I'm just now hearing it, and plastic is definetly the word. :arghfist: Tomas Asklund :arghfist: we haven't forgotten that your sloppy, clicky performance did to Storm of the Light's Bane!

Yea, I absolutely can't stand Tomas Asklund. The first song I put on I knew it was him, his drumming is so bland and his blast beats aren't that strong at all. It's like he's playing softly so he wont wake the neighbors.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

I enjoy Wormwood, but I'm woefully uneducated when it comes to their other work. As for the show:

quote:

MARDUK
NACHTMYSTIUM
MANTIC RITUAL
BLACK ANVIL
MERRIMAC

$28.50 adv

With transportation and service charges, it's at 40 bucks, which isn't even that bad considering there are five bands on the bill.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Razor posted:

Quantos is much more interesting than Ad Majorem. Also, Gaahl wasn't even significant in Gorgoroth until 2000. Considering they released four albums without him, I think it's safe to say that the band works fine without Gaahl.

Fully agreed,, I mean, look at Under the Sign of Hell, worked perfectly without Gaahl!

I will say, though, from Ad Majorem, Wound Upon Wound makes me thrash my head like not other Gorgoroth song except for Profetens Aperbaring or whatever, but that's not quite as intense as Wound Upon Wound.

First 90 seconds of Wound Upon Wound makes me cum.

The rest of Ad Majorem I could take or leave, tbh, but Quantos > Ad Majorem, IMO.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Yea, I absolutely can't stand Tomas Asklund. The first song I put on I knew it was him, his drumming is so bland and his blast beats aren't that strong at all. It's like he's playing softly so he wont wake the neighbors.

He is so boring in the Dissection DVD, it pains me.

Also, he never played on Storm of the Light's Bane, I dunno what that dude above is talking about...

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Guess I'm in the minority... I really like the new Gorgoroth. Way better than their last two discs. I've been a fan of Gorgoroth since the Pentagram disc was released on Malicious Records. It's not as good as the first three albums... nothing will touch those, but it's a million times better than any of the nonsense "Black Metal" that comes out now from Wolves in the Throne and Abigail Williams.

Edit: Still trying to adjust to Frank Watkins in Black Metal gear.

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

Caucasus Belli posted:

Hollenthon's latest EP seems to be defiantly not leaking so I guess I'll have to wait to hear that along with the new Urgehal (which should be next month, can't loving wait)

For what it's worth, it has "leaked" now (though it has officially been released in some European countries already.

It's good, though Opus Magnum is still my favourite of theirs.