Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Quick question, does anyone know how to set the address bar in Explorer to be text and not the silly buttons thing it currently is?

Not critical, I didn't mind it enough to change it in Vista, but it just occurred to me that maybe someone knows how to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
I guess the only problem after two days is the fact that when I maximize a window in my external display, it actually maximizes it where it's now too big for the monitor. It's like it over-maximizes the window.

Anyone know how to fix this?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Shugojin posted:

Quick question, does anyone know how to set the address bar in Explorer to be text and not the silly buttons thing it currently is?

Not critical, I didn't mind it enough to change it in Vista, but it just occurred to me that maybe someone knows how to change it.

Why do you want to do this? If you click to the right of the last button, you can type in an address like normal. You lose functionality by disabling it.

papanugget
Aug 8, 2000
Anyone else having trouble connecting their Xbox 360 controllers to the system? I tried installing the official 360 drivers before plugging in my controller with no help. It just crashes the system.

Welp. Never mind about that. It decided to work after crashing and rebooting multiple times. Thanks Windows 7!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

papanugget posted:

Anyone else having trouble connecting their Xbox 360 controllers to the system? I tried installing the official 360 drivers before plugging in my controller with no help. It just crashes the system.
I have a wired one and when I plugged it in the drivers automatically downloaded and installed, then it worked fine.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

TheQat posted:

I ordered July 13th and my copy is out for delivery right now. It would appear that Amazon's pre-order fulfillment is still not what it could be :(

Alex007 posted:

Didn't check the mail yesterday because I didn't expect my package to arrive on the same day it was shipped ... But apparently something is already waiting for me at home:

Thank you Canada Post !

I'll do y'all one better: I ordered July 5, and supposedly it got shipped out Friday. But the delivery estimate on it is for Oct 30, which is next Friday. The fun part is that it's shipping to Austin, TX, and yet the tracking status says it left the warehouse in Delaware, got routed through New Jersey, and is now Out for Delivery somewhere in New Jersey. WTF.

Edit: At 3am Friday night/Saturday morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JamesJBuffalkill
Sep 14, 2004
A Textbook for an SA Account. I'm Sold!

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'll do y'all one better: I ordered July 5, and supposedly it got shipped out Friday. But the delivery estimate on it is for Oct 30, which is next Friday. The fun part is that it's shipping to Austin, TX, and yet the tracking status says it left the warehouse in Delaware, got routed through New Jersey, and is now Out for Delivery somewhere in New Jersey. WTF.

Edit: At 3am Friday night/Saturday morning.

Sweet, maybe it's coming to my house.

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Just wanted to drop in and speak on issues I had getting a buddy setup with Windows 7. We were getting BSODs before we'd even get into setup, usually around when the "flower background" first appeared, they were also random, either IRQ LESS THAN BLAH BLAH or SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION referencing a different file each time. After trying everything I could think of: unplugging everything from the system that was unneeded, swapping in a different video card, reseting CMOS, running memtest. Finally tried disabling any onboard components I could; sound, onboard NIC, even the firewire ports. Also disabled something I can't remember exactly but it was like "IDE Prefetch" or something. This allowed the install to run without further issue and we turned all this back on afterwards.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I've got 7 installed and running and... I'm indifferent so far.

It was high time to abandon XP, so I'm not regretting the switch, but I was expecting some kind of "oh hey neato" response (if not outright "WOW!") from the new OS. I feel like maybe I just haven't found some of the new features and stuff that are neat.

So, if I may, let's post some of our favorite new features/finds/etc so other people will know about about them!

My entry: I've used OS X for a while and I love hitting command+spacebar to search the computer. Now I can just mash Windows key and start typing a search.
It's hard to get a "wow" feeling when going from a GUI to another GUI, it's not like going from command line only to a GUI or 2D graphics to 3D graphics. If Microsoft ever releases WinFS there may be a wow moment.

Search was in Vista, and XP had a download that could give you the search as well. Search is great though, I no longer need to hunt through miles of options screens to find what I'm looking for, I just type in the name and go!

Some of the things I like, not sure what was in Vista or not. Anybody coming from XP will find all of these things to be new though:
1. Windows Media Center included with Home Premium.
2. Getting rid of the taskbar, and replacing it with the hybrid quicklaunch+taskbar UI. It's annoying you can't set it so pinned items appear before or after running items. It makes me sperg out. :argh:
3. A better resource monitor that let's you see exactly what processes are doing. You can see what files and directories a process uses as well.
4. Printer sharing let's you install additional drivers for computers that may be 32 bit or 64 bit.
5. Workgroups are no longer broken pieces of poo poo. This may have been fixed in Vista. Homegroups exist in 7 that make it easier to share between Windows 7 computers.
6. The system tray no longer fills the taskbar on grandma's PC full of free screensavers and funny cursors. You can select which icons show in the system tray.
7. Since Vista, you can set the volume per application.
8. Since Vista, it's harder for lovely games to lock the screen when they crash, making it easier to escape and kill the process. Also, if the video driver crashes Windows can just restart the driver instead of requiring a system restart.
8. Since Vista, Windows update is integrated into the OS and is no longer a website. This also means no more blue bar flying across the screen for an hour only to find you have one update.
9. Sticky notes. Middle aged women like to use these for some reason, they are now part of the OS.
10. Since Vista, there is a snip tool for screenshots. You select the area of the screen you want and it will save it directly as an image.
11. Problems and Solutions center (called Action Center in 7) can detect and repair problems, sometimes before you know there is a problem. This was included in Vista. In Windows 7 you can create your own problems and solutions modules or whatever they are called using PowerShell, very useful in a business environment for programs with known problems.
12. PowerShell, not new, but automatically included with Windows 7. Microsoft finally caught up to the 90's with PowerShell. Uses Unix like commands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell

Edit: Bonus features for ATI cards in Win 7 64-bit. They decided that over 1 year was not long enough to create working drivers, they are buggy. :(

Yaos fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 25, 2009

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

I clearly remember multiple people saying an upgrade key worked for a clean install ... so any idea why I get this ?

Click here for the full 661x579 image.

I'm trying to upgrade either my old XP (32bit) or Win7 beta (32bit) but both are giving me errors when I pop in the Win7 64bit DVD for an upgrade, so I said gently caress it, installed my new HDD (and unplugged the old one) and did the install.

But I can't activate :(

How do you do a 32 -> 64 upgrade then ?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Alex007 posted:

I clearly remember multiple people saying an upgrade key worked for a clean install ... so any idea why I get this ?

Click here for the full 661x579 image.

I'm trying to upgrade either my old XP (32bit) or Win7 beta (32bit) but both are giving me errors when I pop in the Win7 64bit DVD for an upgrade, so I said gently caress it, installed my new HDD (and unplugged the old one) and did the install.

But I can't activate :(

How do you do a 32 -> 64 upgrade then ?

Boot off the DVD. You can't upgrade it will have to be a clean install.

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

c0burn posted:

Boot off the DVD. You can't upgrade it will have to be a clean install.

This is what I did, it installed fine but I can't activate.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Alex007 posted:

Does it give you a number to call at that point or what? I haven't really considered the 32>64 upgrade process.

Fist of Fury
Dec 3, 2004

THIS TITLE CAN'T POSSIBLY BE AS OBNOXIOUS AS MY POSTS
Does the Windows 7 built-in backup facility work like Time Machine in that after setting it up, I can just plug in an external USB drive and Windows will recognize it as a backup volume and automatically backup to it? Or do I have to manually tell it to backup instead? Will it nag me about not being able to find the backup drive if it doesn't happen to be plugged in when it tries to do a daily/weekly/monthly/etc. backup?

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 5, 2023

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Alex007 posted:

Do the phone activation, you'll probably have to talk to India but they'll activate it for you.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Footboy posted:

On the contrary, I wish sites weren't prone to writing "what's new in Windows 7" articles comparing it to Vista. I want to see all of the features I missed out on in the last iteration that I now get in this one as well. For example, I only today discovered the Games Explorer.
Wikipedia has a list of new things in Vista and 7, it does not list everything that is new like the Games Explorer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_removed_from_Windows_7

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 25, 2009

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Yaos posted:

It's hard to get a "wow" feeling when going from a GUI to another GUI, it's not like going from command line only to a GUI or 2D graphics to 3D graphics. If Microsoft ever releases WinFS there may be a wow moment.

Edit: Bonus features for ATI cards in Win 7 64-bit. They decided that over 1 year was not long enough to create working drivers, they are buggy. :(

I wish they'd get the ball rolling on WinFS, we've been on NTFS for much too long. The biggest issue I could see with WinFS though is the open source community having compatibility issues. As for the Catalyst drivers in 64-bit Windows 7, I've had zero problems so I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I just upgraded to the 9.10 Catalyst drivers as well. I was actually kind of surprised by how well they work.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I wish they'd get the ball rolling on WinFS, we've been on NTFS for much too long. The biggest issue I could see with WinFS though is the open source community having compatibility issues. As for the Catalyst drivers in 64-bit Windows 7, I've had zero problems so I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I just upgraded to the 9.10 Catalyst drivers as well. I was actually kind of surprised by how well they work.
They broke image scaling and the mouse cursor randomly grows in size on some people's computers.
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=117430&enterthread=y
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=120766&enterthread=y

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

JamesJBuffalkill posted:

Sweet, maybe it's coming to my house.
Hmm, I just checked it again some 4 hours later, and now the NJ part of the order tracking is gone and it only has the scan for leaving DE. Something fishy is going on here.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
e: should read OP

GZA Genius fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 25, 2009

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

GZA Genius posted:

ok this could be a stupid question, but I'm doing a clean install from windows xp to windows 7. Can I save everything I want (music,movies,etc.) on a partition and just have windows 7 clear out everything else or will it just completely wipe my HD with the clean install.

Nothing will be lost unless you explicitly tell the installer to format the drive. The contents of your Program Files, Documents and Settings, and Windows folders will be placed in a Windows.old folder -- everything else on the drive will be left alone.

Seriously, this is in the OP. Try reading it.

QWin15
Oct 25, 2004

Yaos posted:

10. Since Vista, there is a snip tool for screenshots. You select the area of the screen you want and it will save it directly as an image.

drat, you got me all excited. I was hoping this tool was exactly the same as mac osx's snippet tool. Unfortunately its a standalone program :(

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I wish they'd get the ball rolling on WinFS, we've been on NTFS for much too long.

Ugh not this please

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
I have Vista 64-bit at the moment. On Newegg, I only see the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, with no specification for 32-bit or 64-bit. If I purchase that, will it just give me the 64-bit upgrade automatically (since I already have 64-bit) or what?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Zarithas posted:

I have Vista 64-bit at the moment. On Newegg, I only see the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade, with no specification for 32-bit or 64-bit. If I purchase that, will it just give me the 64-bit upgrade automatically (since I already have 64-bit) or what?
The full version came with a DVD for 32 bit and a DVD for 64 bit. It may be the same for the upgrade.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001

Yaos posted:

They broke image scaling and the mouse cursor randomly grows in size on some people's computers.
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=117430&enterthread=y
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=120766&enterthread=y

I think scaling issues might be purely win 7's fault, since its broken for me on a nvidia card as well. But this same exact driver version in vista allows scaling to work perfectly fine. I never got scaling to work in XP either, so I don't know if they just broke it again in 7 or what.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yaos posted:

The full version came with a DVD for 32 bit and a DVD for 64 bit. It may be the same for the upgrade.

Pretty sure it is

Rort
Sep 24, 2006

mrchina posted:

I guess the only problem after two days is the fact that when I maximize a window in my external display, it actually maximizes it where it's now too big for the monitor. It's like it over-maximizes the window.

Anyone know how to fix this?

You're external display isn't a TV is it? It sounds like its an issue with over-scanning, you're video card settings (nVidia Control Panel for me) should have an option to compensate for it.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Every time I turn on my computer Microsoft Security Essentials pops its window up, is there a way to make it start minimized?

Open Regedit and navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Look for MSSE and double-click its entry. Change the path so it has quotations and add -hide at the end.

Mine's like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe" -hide

Paisano
Jul 2, 2007

Oh holy shit... that's my offensive line?
So I upgraded from XP to 7 this weekend, putting it on a brand new HD. Overall I've been really happy with it except for the fact that my FPS has dropped dramatically in my games, notably TF2. I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just give my specs and hope somebody has an idea.

P4 3.4 (old processor I know)
Nvidia 8800GT with latest drivers
Audigy 2 ZS latest drivers
3 GB RAM
brand new HD

I almost never had any slow down of any kind with XP on these same specs, so I think it has to be a 7 issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Paisano posted:

So I upgraded from XP to 7 this weekend, putting it on a brand new HD. Overall I've been really happy with it except for the fact that my FPS has dropped dramatically in my games, notably TF2. I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just give my specs and hope somebody has an idea.

P4 3.4 (old processor I know)
Nvidia 8800GT with latest drivers
Audigy 2 ZS latest drivers
3 GB RAM
brand new HD

I almost never had any slow down of any kind with XP on these same specs, so I think it has to be a 7 issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drivers would probably be the culprit.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Edit:
I received an email with a product key but I don't see any download link. I didn't get another email either :-( I don't see Why I can't just plug the product key in my Windows 7 Beta To have a working version. That would be awesome

LooseChanj posted:

That was the program that made the floppies to boot from and install from the CD. I think the last time they used that was NT4.

CD-ROM God? That was a neat little life saver!

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 26, 2009

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dickeye posted:

Pretty sure it is

Confirming this to be true for Windows 7 Professional, at least.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I'm running Parallels 4 on a 1.85 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro with OS X 10.5.8 with 2GB of RAM.

I downloaded Home Premium from Microsoft with the Student Discount ($30.00 thing). It was an exe with 2 .box files. Everything installed, and when it rebooted, it's just stuck on the black "Starting Windows" screen with the logo glowing.

I've tried restarting it and it just goes right back to this and won't move forward. I've tried it with 1 CPU, both CPUs, 1024 MB RAM. I don't know what to do or what is wrong.

E: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I needed to select "Other Windows" in Parallels. I figured XP or Vista would have been the right options. But everything works fine now.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 26, 2009

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

decypher posted:

I don't see Why I can't just plug the product key in my Windows 7 Beta To have a working version. That would be awesome

Because the beta isn't the same as the RTM version.

Schnozzberry
Apr 13, 2005
I had an OEM version of Vista for a dell desktop. I can buy the upgrade version of Win7 and use it on any machine, correct? (not just the Dell, which has since been parted out and sold)

Paisano
Jul 2, 2007

Oh holy shit... that's my offensive line?

Casao posted:

Drivers would probably be the culprit.

so should I not be using the most recent ones? They say they are good to go for Windows7 but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Schnozzberry posted:

I had an OEM version of Vista for a dell desktop. I can buy the upgrade version of Win7 and use it on any machine, correct? (not just the Dell, which has since been parted out and sold)

The OEM copy might not activate a second time on a new computer. I think you can install the OEM copy on your desired computer and call MS saying you changed out something like your motherboard and it isn't activating, though. Once you've done that you can absolutely use it to install Windows 7, as I used an OEM copy to upgrade from as well.

Someone with better knowledge will have to get you back on the activation thing for OEM keys on different computers than they were originally activated on, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

QWin15 posted:

drat, you got me all excited. I was hoping this tool was exactly the same as mac osx's snippet tool. Unfortunately its a standalone program :(

Well as I was suggesting, if you go into the shortcut for it and assign it to Windows, Shift 4 it pretty much does the same job.