Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Pantalones! posted:

The only part that I think is good on colors is the part with one of the guys from fear before.. I think on vocals.

I was literally just listening to that part while reading your post. It's one of my standouts on Colors too.

I don't know, I apperciate if people aren't into the direction they've taken. That happens a lot with bands changing members and begin to experiment on new things. But to bring up the idea of them having photographs of the instruments used being pretentious just sounds like you have an axe to grind with the band, which kind of dilutes your point a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

plester1 posted:

Is this serious? It sounds like that crabcore band.

I thought it was pretty drat good :colbert:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the Bunt posted:

This is the guy I was referring to:

Though I do agree that Tommy doesn't change up his vocals as much as he can, anymore. What's up with that?

If you can praise them for being sweet-hearts then I can diss them for having crappy merch and showing pictures of instruments and soy milk on their myspace. I've talked with Tommy Rogers in Massachusetts before during a fest at a Subway down the block. He was nice to me and I didn't get the impression he was a dickhead. Doesn't change the fact that (as you agreed) he's become a totally boring vocalist to listen to when I am sure he can still sing with better range if he tried/wanted to. And also that their music is something completely different from when they started out, which I prefer immensely over this stuff. I almost feel like I can't even say "I like BTBAM" anymore. I can only say "I like their self titled" because that's not even them anymore.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

The Dirtyness posted:

I don't think I know many people who just enjoy BTBAM. They either love them or hate them.

I had some roommates who never listened to BTBAM except when they were in my car. Then they demanded it. The intro to All Bodies was like the anthem for pulling out of the driveway.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

plester1 posted:

Is this serious? It sounds like that crabcore band.

Yeah, I mean I know its not-hip to like that kind of sound but I think I See Stars pulls it off well and makes for a great show.
I don't like Attack Attack! or Breathe Carolina or Brokencyde which is more what I see as "crabcore."

If you listen to all of these songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlioSo_UHBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhWSP-Vank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9CT7qnP2k

And still hear no redeeming values, then I understand you just don't like that sound. And I can see why, but I enjoy melodic-yet-heavy poppy stuff. Their breakdowns generally don't feel like they just threw a chug chug chug in for the sake of chug chug chugging. They kind of fit in with the song

Also, they make awesome hitting-people music live

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 23, 2009

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you can praise them for being sweet-hearts then I can diss them for having crappy merch and showing pictures of instruments and soy milk on their myspace. I've talked with Tommy Rogers in Massachusetts before during a fest at a Subway down the block. He was nice to me and I didn't get the impression he was a dickhead. Doesn't change the fact that (as you agreed) he's become a totally boring vocalist to listen to when I am sure he can still sing with better range if he tried/wanted to. And also that their music is something completely different from when they started out, which I prefer immensely over this stuff. I almost feel like I can't even say "I like BTBAM" anymore. I can only say "I like their self titled" because that's not even them anymore.

Fair enough. You don't like Silent Circus either?

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I'm listening to the new BTBAM and its not giving me a single reason to ever listen to it again. I felt pretty much the same way about Colors, but at least gave it a few shots. These songs really are just ridiculously long without a reason.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the Bunt posted:

Fair enough. You don't like Silent Circus either?

I do. To a lesser extent than the self titled but its still a good album. It's kind of funny because at the time btbam had been touring with Red Chord and it was widely speculated that the more grind influenced Silent Circus was also influenced by Red Chord. Thinking back about that is kind of funny now seeing as btbam have evolved so much, even if for the worse in my opinion.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Let me start by saying that I'm not really a -core fan, death and black make up my metal pleasures. However, a friend of mine turned me onto the German band Acme. The band formed in 1991 by members of Carol, Systral, and Morser. They only released a couple of albums, culminating in a compilation called To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist.

I posted the band in the regular metal thread a couple of weeks ago with little response. Since they're technically a hardcore band, I figured I'd give this thread a try.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Ok, so October 29th, Atreyu is playing in NYC.

With Hollywood undead. gently caress.

Their co-headlining, so how many songs do you think i'll get to see atreyu play? I love atreyu, lead sails was lovely but other than that there awesome. Hollywood undead on the other had...ugh.

Just want to know if im going to get to see a decent amount of atreyu, or if there gonna play 5 or 6 songs...

J. Cardigan
Nov 8, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

ShoogaSlim posted:

Easy solution, only listen to their debut full length. Music was much more consistent and still experimental and the vocals showed a lot more range and still fit the music very well. Rogers used a lot more variation in his vocal ability and now all he does is sing like a monk or use a really unpleasant mid range scream/growl that gets boring very fast.

You may already know this (it wasn't clear in your post) but the drummer did most of the clean vocals for their first album, while Tommy did backup vocals. Tommy's screaming or growling or whatever was far better on their self-titled, though. It's rather bland now.

I haven't finished the whole album (most of the way through Swim to the Moon), but I think it's pretty good. Their first album and the Silent Circus are probably my favorites. Alaska never grew on me, and I thought Colors was loving great. I definitely prefer their earlier incarnation, but I'll still listen to what they're putting out.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Yeah the drummer on that cd was Will Goodyear. He relased an album of his own work that was really good, even though its all really soft material. I know he did the clean vocals on s/t but even Rogers' screams were ranging from lows to highs. Now its just mids.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
Anyone into Fleshrot? Drummer from Animosity does everything except vocals

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Alternatively, check this awe-inspiring shirt by The Red Chord and tell me it doesn't make you want to listen to them even if you've never heard of them: Rainbow Grinder

buying the gently caress out of this shirt

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I always know winter is coming when I play Cursed albums around the clock. It's a drat shame that they called it quits. Wish I could find some loving medium-size logo shirts of theirs, too.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I See Stars

These guys are actually really catchy and they're awesome live. Those three song are slammin, but I figured I'd throw my favorite into the ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYHbRH1qs4

"I'm the big. bad. wolf. See the pigs, they run in horror"
And the pit explodes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So the new atreyu album is floating around out there (get's released tomorrow) and ive listened to it a couple of times now.

It basically sounds like Deathgrip part 2, which isn't a bad thing i guess. It definitely doesent have the teeth that Suicide Notes/The Curse did though, seems like that went out the window with Deathgrip.

Atleast its not another Lead Sails :psyduck: god that album was loving terrible. The good songs on Congregation are really good, but that bad ones are just mediocre and forgettable.

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.

Not Very Metal posted:

Let me start by saying that I'm not really a -core fan, death and black make up my metal pleasures. However, a friend of mine turned me onto the German band Acme. The band formed in 1991 by members of Carol, Systral, and Morser. They only released a couple of albums, culminating in a compilation called To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist.

I posted the band in the regular metal thread a couple of weeks ago with little response. Since they're technically a hardcore band, I figured I'd give this thread a try.

I downloaded that album because of your previous post. It's pretty brutal and cool. I recalled that I had seen it advertised along side Coalesces' Give Them Rope by Edison in the mid-nineties.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The new Every Time I Die is still thoroughly rocking me on a daily basis.

'Rag men, rag men, rag men, RAG MEN!'

So loving good.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
BTBAM tomorrow :neckbeard: first time I've actually waited for an album to come out in the last couple of years, the excitement makes it worth it.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Omnikin posted:

BTBAM tomorrow :neckbeard: first time I've actually waited for an album to come out in the last couple of years, the excitement makes it worth it.

I picked up my copy today?

After a lot of listens I still don't know about the album as a whole...but Swim to the Moon is better than White Walls

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Atreyu... Every Time I Die... BTBAM??

This is the "Whatever-core" thread, right? Not the "we used to be hard/metal-core and now we sound like poo poo" thread... or am I missing something.

Every Time I Die should be thrown in jail for abandoning their Last Night in Town sound. That album is loving epic and now they sound like idiots. Atreyu.. please, I won't even loving go there. And I've already expressed my opinion on BTBAM enough.

:psyduck:

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

Every Time I Die

The first album I listened to from this band was the Big Dirty that I bought on a whim. I thought it was a solid piece of metalcore for sure, and then worked my way backwards. I think each album shines in its own unique way (although New Junk and Big Dirty share a lot of similarities to my ears) so at the end of the day they put out some above average albums.

Emergency Broadcast Syndrome is probably one of my favorite tracks from the band.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Don't start this again. This thread is not bad when it's not full of people bitching about other people's taste. If you don't like the band being discussed, why not move on by and bring something else up?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

There's just something to be said about listening to a band from their beginning and watching them slowly fade into something completely unrecognizable and NEVER playing anything you like from their early albums. It's really depressing and feels like an insult to early fans who want to hear old songs when you go see a band live.

Their new stuff might be good for whatever sound they're looking to achieve now, but I wouldn't know because it's not the same band that I know from the past. It's something new and it tries to reach an entirely different audience. I'm sure they hope original fans will evolve with them to like the new stuff as well. But I'm sure most of these bands realize how the "scene" works and that most kids reject you once you get big. Not for the fact that a band has gotten big but 99% of the time because it meas the music has turned to garbage in the process.

I failed to realize that the majority of the people that post in this thread are probably a huge wave of people that started getting into -core music very recently and the kind of people I see at shows and hate for "ruining" my scene.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

seatbeltstrap posted:

I downloaded that album because of your previous post. It's pretty brutal and cool. I recalled that I had seen it advertised along side Coalesces' Give Them Rope by Edison in the mid-nineties.

Glad you like it, I was pleasantly surprised myself.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Im sure listening to a band release the same album 6 times in a row would be a lot worse than y'know... progressing as time goes by?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

There's just something to be said about listening to a band from their beginning and watching them slowly fade into something completely unrecognizable and NEVER playing anything you like from their early albums. It's really depressing and feels like an insult to early fans who want to hear old songs when you go see a band live.

Their new stuff might be good for whatever sound they're looking to achieve now, but I wouldn't know because it's not the same band that I know from the past. It's something new and it tries to reach an entirely different audience. I'm sure they hope original fans will evolve with them to like the new stuff as well. But I'm sure most of these bands realize how the "scene" works and that most kids reject you once you get big. Not for the fact that a band has gotten big but 99% of the time because it meas the music has turned to garbage in the process.

I failed to realize that the majority of the people that post in this thread are probably a huge wave of people that started getting into -core music very recently and the kind of people I see at shows and hate for "ruining" my scene.

I've been following this thread since a couple weeks before the new btbam came out, and so far you are the only person I really just hate.

d0grent fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 27, 2009

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

d0grent, the feeling doesn't bother me one bit. I've been listening to this kind of music for years and recently most of it has gone to complete poo poo. For there to be a singe thread on these forums dedicated to "hardcore" music and have to see people talking about Atreyu is absolutely pathetic. They were once an enjoyable band, but honestly they've gone to poo poo. Same as ETID and BTBAM. Although you can at least argue that BTBAM are still good at using their instruments and are popular because they show that talent, even if the music bares only a slight resemblance to what they made their foundation on. Bands who play shows to kids with side swept bangs and eyeliner have zero credibility to me and I would imagine any other self respecting hardcore fan.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Bands who play shows to kids with side swept bangs and eyeliner have zero credibility to me and I would imagine any other self respecting hardcore fan.
Serious question: Do you even enjoy music? Because all you keep going on about is the "scene" or whatever and how bands should never change and always play the music you want to hear rather than what they want to write.

At least in BTBAM's case, they've always been more of a progressive metal band than metalcore anyway. Even going back to the self-titled album they were constantly hinting at a progressive sound with songs like Aspirations and Shevanel Cut a Flip, so I don't see why you're so shocked that a progressive metal band actually...progressed their sound.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
as always, this discussion boils down to different people liking different music and who cares

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

d0grent, the feeling doesn't bother me one bit. I've been listening to this kind of music for years and recently most of it has gone to complete poo poo. For there to be a singe thread on these forums dedicated to "hardcore" music and have to see people talking about Atreyu is absolutely pathetic. They were once an enjoyable band, but honestly they've gone to poo poo. Same as ETID and BTBAM. Although you can at least argue that BTBAM are still good at using their instruments and are popular because they show that talent, even if the music bares only a slight resemblance to what they made their foundation on. Bands who play shows to kids with side swept bangs and eyeliner have zero credibility to me and I would imagine any other self respecting hardcore fan.

There is a real hardcore thread dummy.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

For there to be a singe thread on these forums dedicated to "hardcore" music and have to see people talking about Atreyu is absolutely pathetic. They were once an enjoyable band, but honestly they've gone to poo poo. Same as ETID and BTBAM.

This is because a Every Time I Die, Atreyu or whatever discussion thread couldn't sustain itself for any real discussion. This thread covers a wide range of the -core genre so even though I really don't like Atreyu, I don't complain about it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Dirtyness posted:

Serious question: Do you even enjoy music?

Truly, there is only a limited amount of music that I enjoy and only a few bands I really respect out there for making consistently good music. I understand BTBAM's progression, but I dislike the shape that their music has taken recently.

As for there being a "real" hardcore thread. I understand the distinction between real hardcore and what is mostly considered metalcore. The most old school band I listen to is All Out War and even they are a metal hardcore fusion band. I like bands like Converge and Trap Them, but TT apparently consider themselves "death punk" or whatever. I admit I don't even really like "real hardcore" that consists of bands like Gorilla Biscuits, Agnostic Front, etc. To me that stuff is more punk with angrier vocals than anything else.

I can imagine most people in this thread have no idea what bands I just namedropped

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Go on, sound more pretentious.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Truly, there is only a limited amount of music that I enjoy and only a few bands I really respect out there for making consistently good music. I understand BTBAM's progression, but I dislike the shape that their music has taken recently.

As for there being a "real" hardcore thread. I understand the distinction between real hardcore and what is mostly considered metalcore. The most old school band I listen to is All Out War and even they are a metal hardcore fusion band. I like bands like Converge and Trap Them, but TT apparently consider themselves "death punk" or whatever. I admit I don't even really like "real hardcore" that consists of bands like Gorilla Biscuits, Agnostic Front, etc. To me that stuff is more punk with angrier vocals than anything else.

I can imagine most people in this thread have no idea what bands I just namedropped

:rolleyes::fh:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

there is only a limited amount of music that I enjoy

I think this is where you differ from many of the people in this thread.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Hahahahaha.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Man I got to this thread hoping to tell everyone what bands aren't ok to admit to listening to but it looks like someone beat to the punch. Now what am I going to do?

I, too, have felt the pain of going to scene shows in the vain hope of getting 15 year old hardcore scene kiddies into real true metalcore, only to have them back away as to say "get away from me you creepy old man!" It never works, no matter how brightly colored my sneakers are, how tight my black pants are, or scene my band shirt is. It's very distressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I know I'm coming off like a dick, but I had to express my distress with the current state of this genre of music. There were two other posts previously asking to check out one band on MySpace and the other posting I think a YouTube video and comparing it to the new BTBAM album. I did enjoy what I heard there and I'm not always a cranky rear end in a top hat. I guess there's just no one posting here who can identify with what I've experienced over the years of going to shows and hey its all good but I still find it kind of pathetic to be discussing Atreyu in a -core thread when they don't even fall under the category at all anymore. In fact I don't know what you might classify them as besides "suck".