Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcw
Jul 28, 2005
Well, I take back what I said about the "Play To" feature being awesome. In theory, yes, it's awesome. In practice, this feature is a giant hunk of poo poo based on my experience thus far.

The intent seems to be that you should be able to right-click on any piece of media-- audio or video-- and "Play To" that content to the 360 (or any other Media Center extender) as long as it's in Media Center mode and the Windows Media Center service is running on your PC. Problem is that the Play To application is choking on nearly every piece of content I throw at it. If I start up Windows Media Center, then start up the 360, then Play To a single two-minute song, that will play-- anything more demanding like that, such as a five minute song, more than one song, or any video, and it chokes. (In this case, "choke" means that the Play To window locks up, and the content I was trying to play shows up on the 360 with a total runtime of 0:00.)

Is there some third-party app out there that can push content from my PC to a DLNA-compatible device? Being able to push content from my PC to my home theater is an amazingly useful feature, assuming it works reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Xenomorph posted:

Ok, now I'm getting this poo poo.

I have "Home" selected for my network.

When I go to Network stuff, it says "Home" - "HomeGroup: ready to create". And when I click it, it tells me I need to be on a Home network.

Does this poo poo work for anyone? This seems like the most brainless, retarded setup.

If you set up your network as a Work or Public network, you can't create a HomeGroup. You need to change the network type to a Home network.

Go to the Network and Sharing Center, look at View your active networks under the network map and click the link. It'll bring up the menu that lets you choose the network type. Click Home.

Here's a pic:

Click here for the full 1253x510 image.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Xinlum posted:

Be a pal and give the extras out :)

Gromit posted:

Or sell one to me for something far less than the stinky Australian prices we get. Well, for us non-students anyway.

Now I feel bad because the extra two copies were already claimed by my siblings :( At least they're also college students so I don't feel guilty giving it to them.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

MariusMcG posted:

Well, I take back what I said about the "Play To" feature being awesome. In theory, yes, it's awesome. In practice, this feature is a giant hunk of poo poo based on my experience thus far.

The intent seems to be that you should be able to right-click on any piece of media-- audio or video-- and "Play To" that content to the 360 (or any other Media Center extender) as long as it's in Media Center mode and the Windows Media Center service is running on your PC. Problem is that the Play To application is choking on nearly every piece of content I throw at it. If I start up Windows Media Center, then start up the 360, then Play To a single two-minute song, that will play-- anything more demanding like that, such as a five minute song, more than one song, or any video, and it chokes. (In this case, "choke" means that the Play To window locks up, and the content I was trying to play shows up on the 360 with a total runtime of 0:00.)

Is there some third-party app out there that can push content from my PC to a DLNA-compatible device? Being able to push content from my PC to my home theater is an amazingly useful feature, assuming it works reliably.

Well, this may not be exactly what you want but you can use something like TVersity. Set up its library and it'll show up as a device on your 360 with all your content. I'm not sure if you can use it to make your 360 play content from the computer (as in you being at the computer, which the Play To thing lets you do) but it'll pretty much ensure you can always access your content without using Media Center on your computer or 360 so long as your computer is on.

Obviously it'd be nice if they fixed your performance issues but it's a workaround for now.

I haven't set up my 360 as an extender yet so I dunno if it'll do that to me yet.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

Would have been a worthy replacement except for the one big important issue that all viewers seem to have, except ACDSee 3: When I use the mouse wheel to step through all the images in a folder, it makes we wait as each picture finishes loading, rather than jumping to the next one immediately.

Yeah, I went and downloaded the 2009 ACDSee and immediately saw how much quicker it is than the few versions before it. I gave up after 2.54 or some such number, but it seems to have regained some speed. Quicker than FastStone, and no fricken skins.

mcw
Jul 28, 2005

Parachute Underwear posted:

Well, this may not be exactly what you want but you can use something like TVersity.

Thanks for your response, sir. It's true that TVersity and PlayOn will act as servers for the media on my PC, but unfortunately they do not allow me to "push" content from my PC to the 360. Being able to go to the PC, drag a bunch of songs into a window, and have them instantly start playing on my home theater is a big step up from the relatively slow and cumbersome client interface that the media servers offer. This is the first time I've had access to such a feature, and for me, it's much more convenient than I had expected. If there were a program out there that did it reliably, I'd actually be willing to pay money for it at this point.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

MariusMcG posted:

Thanks for your response, sir. It's true that TVersity and PlayOn will act as servers for the media on my PC, but unfortunately they do not allow me to "push" content from my PC to the 360. Being able to go to the PC, drag a bunch of songs into a window, and have them instantly start playing on my home theater is a big step up from the relatively slow and cumbersome client interface that the media servers offer. This is the first time I've had access to such a feature, and for me, it's much more convenient than I had expected. If there were a program out there that did it reliably, I'd actually be willing to pay money for it at this point.

Yeah, I get you. My TV's literally 10 feet away from my computer so I usually just use it to stream movies and not necessarily music (since I can play it on my PC), but I agree that it'd be nice if it was more reliable.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

O'riginal posted:

Yeah, I went and downloaded the 2009 ACDSee and immediately saw how much quicker it is than the few versions before it. I gave up after 2.54 or some such number, but it seems to have regained some speed. Quicker than FastStone, and no fricken skins.

what do you guys have against ifranview?

it can view anything picture wise, has decent batch conversion tools and best of all, it stays out of your way. and it's fast coz it's simple as gently caress

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So does anyone know if there's a way to get a full version for Canada at student prices?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

So does anyone know if there's a way to get a full version for Canada at student prices?

Not as far as I know. The cheapest deal we've had here was the 50% off preorder back in July. It's weird that they haven't added 7 to the Ultimate Steal program. Americans can get Office 2007 and Windows 7 there but we've still only got Office.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not as far as I know. The cheapest deal we've had here was the 50% off preorder back in July. It's weird that they haven't added 7 to the Ultimate Steal program. Americans can get Office 2007 and Windows 7 there but we've still only got Office.

They have, actually.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-ca/default.aspx

Click Buy Now. If you're eligible you don't actually have to buy Office, but can add Windows 7 Pro upgrade for $40 (Or $53 if you want a disc.)

Can you upgrade from Home Premium to Professional with an upgrade key or does it only work on XP/Vista/Server?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

O'riginal posted:

So is this "ACDSee Photo Manager 2009"?

echinopsis posted:

what do you guys have against ifranview?

it can view anything picture wise, has decent batch conversion tools and best of all, it stays out of your way. and it's fast coz it's simple as gently caress

gromit posted:

Would have been a worthy replacement except for the one big important issue that all viewers seem to have, except ACDSee 3: When I use the mouse wheel to step through all the images in a folder, it makes we wait as each picture finishes loading, rather than jumping to the next one immediately.

That is, when you scroll fast with the mouse wheel it queues up images and lags before it gets to the last image.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gromit posted:

That is, when you scroll fast with the mouse wheel it queues up images and lags before it gets to the last image.

I can see how that would piss you off.. I'm just glad that situation never really comes up for me :)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They have, actually.

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-ca/default.aspx

Click Buy Now. If you're eligible you don't actually have to buy Office, but can add Windows 7 Pro upgrade for $40 (Or $53 if you want a disc.)

Can you upgrade from Home Premium to Professional with an upgrade key or does it only work on XP/Vista/Server?

:suicide: Why don't they indicate this anywhere? God damnit. :(

Well, I guess I can get my dad one using my college e-mail.

KublaKhan
May 19, 2003

XANADU!

Echophonic posted:

I was getting this too. Apparently it's an issue, I checked their forums a few weeks back. It's probably something loving stupid like wanting to mess around in its install folder for ad downloads or something. This also breaks the Firefox plugin. I tried giving myself write permissions, etc to the folder and it didn't fix it. You know what I did? Installed Adobe Reader Lite, which I can't link to because it's a hack on Adobe's installer, but it's really nice and quick. I also switched to STDUViewer for PDFs and comic archives from my machine. FreewareGenius review

Thanks for the suggestion with Adobe Reader Lite. Odd thing is that Foxit on my desktop computer works fine but on my laptop it brings up the UAC every time I open a pdf.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime

KublaKhan posted:

Thanks for the suggestion with Adobe Reader Lite. Odd thing is that Foxit on my desktop computer works fine but on my laptop it brings up the UAC every time I open a pdf.

You can probably resolve this by going to the EXE, right-clicking, choosing compatibility, and unchecking "run as admin". It must have needed that once to update or something and it stuck; I've seen that kind of thing before.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

echinopsis posted:

I can see how that would piss you off.. I'm just glad that situation never really comes up for me :)

I deal a lot in animation frames and vast collections of images, so being able to painlessly run through images is a must.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gromit posted:

I deal a lot in animation frames and vast collections of images, so being able to painlessly run through images is a must.

do you generally think the bottleneck is the decompression or the disk access?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

echinopsis posted:

do you generally think the bottleneck is the decompression or the disk access?

The reason is that the viewer doesn't drop out of the display loop before moving to the next image. ACDSee 3 does it, but I don't see it in any other viewer.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 28, 2009

partiallypro
Jul 29, 2004
So...it looks like Microsoft is shipping me two copies of Windows 7 Pro by accident, both costing me ~$35 each (neither were free)...so I don't know what to do. One has been shipped, and the other is in processing. The one that has been shipped had the wrong address (the street name was spelled wrong,) but I live in a small town so I'll likely get it. Either way, I don't know if I'm supposed to ship one back, or if I should keep one and sell the other at a small profit.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

jew$ posted:

So...it looks like Microsoft is shipping me two copies of Windows 7 Pro by accident, both costing me ~$35 each (neither were free)...so I don't know what to do. One has been shipped, and the other is in processing. The one that has been shipped had the wrong address (the street name was spelled wrong,) but I live in a small town so I'll likely get it. Either way, I don't know if I'm supposed to ship one back, or if I should keep one and sell the other at a small profit.

This exact thing happened to me. Call and tell them you'd like to return it. They'll tell you they'll e-mail you a copy of the UPS label to ship it back. I have yet to receive mine, however. It's probably easier to sell it to someone than try to get them to sent you the RMA.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

If you set up your network as a Work or Public network, you can't create a HomeGroup. You need to change the network type to a Home network.

Go to the Network and Sharing Center, look at View your active networks under the network map and click the link. It'll bring up the menu that lets you choose the network type. Click Home.

Here's a pic:

Click here for the full 1253x510 image.

My network was set up as "Home".

I had to disable all my Virtual Machine adapters to get it to work.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Emron posted:

What drivers should I roll back? Chipset drivers, audio drivers, graphics drivers, or something else? All of them?

All of your drivers.

hass
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma
So on my main pc, back when I had Vista, I made a change somewhere in which at logon, I must type a username and password for authentication. I now have 7 Home premium and that's all fine and dandy. On my wife's laptop however, I did not implement this classic login, upgraded the little bastard from Vista and cannot find a resource on making her do the same thing. Just wondering if anyone has an idea? I do know that I don't want to hide users.

e: secpol.msc is unavailable in home premium. I also tried control userpasswords2 with the box checked, but that is seemingly ignored.

hass fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 28, 2009

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!

O'riginal posted:

Got mine today, it was the same as yours, cheapest option (UPS Ground). I did receive an email w/ tracking information, though, a few days ago ... maybe they haven't shipped it yet? The email had something about being a bit behind, and I received the email on 24 October.

My shipping notice did arrive today. Just a little more waiting. :)

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork
I am sorry if this has been posted before, but I did not see it addressed in the OP or in the few pages thereafter.

I am on Vista Home Business 32-bit and just purchased Win 7 Professional 64 bit through the academic discount (30 GBP!) The error I obtain is addressed here in the OP as "needing to do a fresh install." I downloaded the Win 7 copy through digitalriver and it attempts to unpack the Win 7 installation, but fails due to an incompatibility it seems. I checked the Microsoft support site and they claimed that I needed to contact digitalriver to obtain an .iso of Win 7 professional but they have not responded to my messages.

I was wondering, as I cannot seem to find it on the MS site: I have the purchased key for Win 7 Professional but no way to use that as I cannot get an install disc ready. Are the isos hosted anywhere? This isn't a files request, I hope, as I do have the legitimate key. It's a weird issue, documented online, but without a fix it seems.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
E:^^^ This has been asked a number of times over the past few pages, with the same response every time: Get it from a torrent site and match the hash to the MS download. It's even in the OP (The hash, I mean).

Got my copy of 7 Ultimate in the mail Monday. OEM edition, because I'd built a new PC specifically for it. The installation process consisted of entering my Activation Key and updating the hell out of everything. So much easier than a full reinstall, considering I've installed 7 on six different machines so far and I'm getting rather sick of it. I did notice that pretty much every update required a restart, to the tune of 5 or 6 separate times. That sort of sucked, considering I didn't run into that with the RC.

This is also the first time I've gone and used scheduling to take care of system management tasks. It makes things much more streamlined, and I'd recommend everyone set up backups and defrags to go when you're asleep. One thing I don't know is how to do an automated shutdown. I'd like to set it to turn off at 3 am (or when defragging/backing up is done), and start up at 7 am. Not critical though, since my computer doesn't get too hot. It's actually significantly cooler than my old setup, even though I'm using the same rackmount case with acoustic foam for dampening. Thank god for low-power components.

On the topic of streaming to an Xbox or PS3: I use Vuze, which seems to work great for streaming to a PS3. You have a submenu in the Videos menu called "Vuze on [pc's name], and you can pick any of the media files you've set from there. I don't think it allows pushing, but when I lived at an apartment with four friends it was great for having more movies to watch. I could also play games on my PC while it was streaming, with no lag or errors for either me or them.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 28, 2009

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
I think I'm ok doing this, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

I have 2 retail copies of 7, 1 home premium (in my sweaty hands) and 1 ultimate on the way. Am I ok to:

1) Install home premium on my desktop
2) Anytime upgrade this to ultimate once the disc (more importantly, key) arrives
3) Install the previous home premium key on my netbook?

Secondly: To install it on my netbook, I don't have an external drive, so I'll need to boot from USB. Would downloading a retail .iso somewhere and using my legal key be fine?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Unknownone posted:

I think I'm ok doing this, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

I have 2 retail copies of 7, 1 home premium (in my sweaty hands) and 1 ultimate on the way. Am I ok to:

1) Install home premium on my desktop
2) Anytime upgrade this to ultimate once the disc (more importantly, key) arrives
3) Install the previous home premium key on my netbook?

Secondly: To install it on my netbook, I don't have an external drive, so I'll need to boot from USB. Would downloading a retail .iso somewhere and using my legal key be fine?
Don't do it. The upgrade from Home premium to ultimate is probably like it was in Vista, which means it actually does a re-install of the system. Just wait until you have ultimate to do the install.

And yes you can download an iso and use your legal key fine because you own the license for the software.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

real_scud posted:

Don't do it. The upgrade from Home premium to ultimate is probably like it was in Vista, which means it actually does a re-install of the system. Just wait until you have ultimate to do the install.

And yes you can download an iso and use your legal key fine because you own the license for the software.

The Anytime upgrade was actually very simple. I did it on my laptop after I installed Home Premium and then realized I would prefer to have Ultimate on it instead. It did not do a full reinstall.

To clarify, this was on Windows 7 and not Vista.

Wiggly fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 28, 2009

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

5436 posted:

What phone number :(?

Sorry, thought this had finally been added to the OP. 1-877-696-7786, press option 7 at the first menu, then 1 at the second menu. This will connect you to an operator. Tell this operator you want a copy of the Student copy of Windows 7 Professional Full Retail. It should be $29.99 USD.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I've been using 7 Professional for a couple months, and found something new today. I'm downloading something off Steam, and the icon in the tray shows the status bar for it, looking further it does that for Chrome too. Nice.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is there a Facebook notifier written for Windows 7 Dock yet?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've heard some people say the Anytime Upgrade just unlocks/installs components.

I thought it was supposed to work that way, but when I dropped the money for a Vista Anytime Upgrade (Business to Ultimate), my experience was nothing like that.

I got a special "Anytime Upgrade" file that I downloaded after the purchase. It ran, asked me to insert the Vista disc, and then to my horror it went through a complete upgrade process and did a complete re-install over top of itself with Ultimate. I may as well have had XP on there or something. It copied every single file again over existing files. Upgrades take a lot longer than clean installs as well, so I was without my system for a long time.

It's a good thing they didn't release a version of Windows without Notepad. Because doing an Anytime Upgrade just to get Notepad would require a two hour install process and half a dozen reboots.

A Bad Poster posted:

I've been using 7 Professional for a couple months, and found something new today. I'm downloading something off Steam, and the icon in the tray shows the status bar for it, looking further it does that for Chrome too. Nice.

This was something I missed when going from Windows for Workgroups 3.11 to Windows 95. I remember some programs showing download progress by having an icon fill up when minimized. ComIt for Windows was one of the apps I believe.

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
I have personally Anytime'd from Home Premium to Pro, and Pro to Ultimate, and all it required was entering the key and it made the changes. I did not need a disc or a full reinstall for the higher version.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this is in 7, not Vista.

MjolnirMan fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 28, 2009

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
Has anyone else experienced issues with the desktop/explorer folders not "refreshing" automatically, for instance if I save a file to a folder I have to refresh to see it, I have to refresh to see the new modified date/time on existing files when I save them, this occurs on the desktop if I save a file there as well, have to refresh before I see it and its pretty god drat maddening.

Googling brings up other folks with the issue from Win 7 betas but not solutions. This is a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, I'm not sure when this started happening.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
I've setup my older/backup machine running Windows 7 to copy a lot of stuff off of like 100s of floppies. A relative had one of those old Sony digital cameras that wrote to floppy and they treated the floppies like film and didn't reuse them and kept everything on them so I've been going through them to put them on CD for them (and for us). I bought a 2x speed USB floppy and it's working out okay.

It got me thinking, I should go through my own collection of 3.5"/5.25" and check for anything and then wipe the floppies and either donate or recycle them to Goodwill. They are heavy, not something I want to move in the future, and take up space.

Not a problem, Windows 7 even has support for 360k 5.25" floppies (and a special icon for 5.25" drives).

Okay, I've got a bunch of QIC-80 tapes from an old Colorado Trakker 250 drive that I have no idea where it is. A friend loaned me a parallel-port tape drive (Cristie 2000) and I've got a test tape for screwing with it before I try anything on my old tapes. Nothing is obviously too important on those tapes, but I do want to check and wipe them as well.

So does Windows 7 support such hardware anymore and what kind of software would I need to find? Everything I have is either OS/2 or probably NT 3.51 and possible NT4, I'm looking to find the software this weekend (on floppies of course :haw: ).

e: If need be, I could throw a drive in the machine with Linux and spend a few hours/days pulling stuff off and wiping, but really hope there's a Windows 7 solution. I can even run a VM session with OS/2 or Linux as long as Windows 7 would pass full hardware control over the device to the VM.

e2: Looks like I'm hosed - I forgot that Windows Vista Backup had dropped tape support and 7 dropped Removable Storage Manager.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 28, 2009

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax
What have you all been using to back up your files?

Apparently SyncToy doesn't work properly on Windows 7. I tried the built-in windows backup thing, but it seems terribly slow (It's been going for over 15hrs so far and hasn't finished a mere 300gb). I guess the first time it takes longer, but still. It also seems to be putting everything into a huge "backup" file that I can't browse.

I just want to backup a few folders (mostly Photos and Lightroom Catalog) to an external drive.

Anyone used SyncBack (http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html) with Win7?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

gib posted:

What have you all been using to back up your files?

Apparently SyncToy doesn't work properly on Windows 7.

What's the problem you are having with SyncToy? It works fine on my install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Ordeith posted:

I am on Vista Home Business 32-bi

No you aren't! There's only Vista Home Premium or Vista Business, which one do you have?