Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

It has nothing to do with your "taste" in music, if you want to call it that. Rather, it has more to do with the fact that your posts read so annoyingly that they almost come off as fakeposts. If they are, then you are drat good at it.

Actually I just checked your post history, and it looks like you're really just a douchebag in every thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

I know I'm coming off like a dick, but I had to express my distress with the current state of this genre of music. There were two other posts previously asking to check out one band on MySpace and the other posting I think a YouTube video and comparing it to the new BTBAM album. I did enjoy what I heard there and I'm not always a cranky rear end in a top hat. I guess there's just no one posting here who can identify with what I've experienced over the years of going to shows and hey its all good but I still find it kind of pathetic to be discussing Atreyu in a -core thread when they don't even fall under the category at all anymore. In fact I don't know what you might classify them as besides "suck".

I understand the feeling, but I think the alternative is stagnation. If bands kept pumping out the same kinds of albums without trying new things and branching out, pretty soon there's no innovation and the genre withers and dies on the vine like ska. Then it'd just be old farts like us going to see the same bands 30 years from now in shithole taverns.

We all know the guy who can't accept the fact that hair metal died in the 90's. All he does is complain about the crappy new music coming out that you can only classify as "suck". Please don't become that guy, ShoogaSlim :(

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

As for the current state of metalcore, I think it's quite obvious that this genre is very limited to what it can and can't do. Because of this, it's taking the same route that punk did in the late 80's/early 90's. It's dying. Bands can't keep making the same album or they will fade into obscurity. The bands that realize this are taking a natural progression out of metalcore. Any genre that doesn't allow for much influence from other genres or innovation is fated to end at some point.

Why do you think metal will never die? It's because it borrows so much from other genres that it is constantly evolving and becoming influenced by everything else. I know I don't speak for everyone but I think that just about every genre can be combined with metal and sound loving awesome if it is done right.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

d0grent posted:

I know I don't speak for everyone but I think that just about every genre can be combined with metal and sound loving awesome if it is done right.

Still waiting for a winning crunk-screamo combination.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I don't think its that a band can't progress their sound, I think its just bad when a band decides to recreate themselves and wind up becoming something completely different where it turns into a slap in the face to any fans that have respect and passion for their "old" sound. Most bands that do this wind up getting a much larger audience as a result and it really makes you wonder what their real agenda was to change their style. Bands like Unearth, Lamb of God, God Forbid, Every Time I Die, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, etc. They all changed their sound, now have a much larger audience selling out big venues and they all sound drastically different from the style they broke out with. Bands like Red Chord have been around a long time and they stille end sets with Dreaming in Dog Years and they still release quality material and have awesome as poo poo live shows. My favorite band, Acacia Strain, has only gotten better with each album.

The state of this scene sadly is now in the hands of lovely bands like Bring Me The Horizon and Devil Wears Prada, where there are more girls at shows trying to grab the singer's dick than actually appreciating the music and not just seeing it as the new nu-metal to rebel against preppy high schoolers with.

Honestly I listen to mostly bands that have already broken up because a lot of the current stuff is just really unbearable.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

plester1 posted:

Still waiting for a winning crunk-screamo combination.

Isnt this basically Hollywood Undead? :barf:

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't think its that a band can't progress their sound, I think its just bad when a band decides to recreate themselves and wind up becoming something completely different where it turns into a slap in the face to any fans that have respect and passion for their "old" sound. Most bands that do this wind up getting a much larger audience as a result and it really makes you wonder what their real agenda was to change their style. Bands like Unearth, Lamb of God, God Forbid, Every Time I Die, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, etc. They all changed their sound, now have a much larger audience selling out big venues and they all sound drastically different from the style they broke out with. Bands like Red Chord have been around a long time and they stille end sets with Dreaming in Dog Years and they still release quality material and have awesome as poo poo live shows. My favorite band, Acacia Strain, has only gotten better with each album.

The state of this scene sadly is now in the hands of lovely bands like Bring Me The Horizon and Devil Wears Prada, where there are more girls at shows trying to grab the singer's dick than actually appreciating the music and not just seeing it as the new nu-metal to rebel against preppy high schoolers with.

Honestly I listen to mostly bands that have already broken up because a lot of the current stuff is just really unbearable.

So what's wrong with listening to those bands circa 2003/2004? That's what most people do anyway. Nobody actually thinks Killswitch is still pumping out good music; but most people that share your views seem like they try to pretend that those bands never actually put out anything good.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 27, 2009

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

My favorite band, Acacia Strain, has only gotten better with each album.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree then, because I can't stand anything they released after 3750.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Isnt this basically Hollywood Undead? :barf:

d0grent posted:

I think that just about every genre can be combined with metal and sound loving awesome if it is done right.

They are doing it oh-so-wrong. Although I guess you can say crabcore is an evolutionary offshoot of that particular brand of southern California self-delusion.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

All people need to stop loving complaining on the internet. Do something about it if your precious "scene" is dying, start a band. Start a magazine. Print T-shirts, make something better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Spiral posted:

All people need to stop loving complaining on the internet. Do something about it if your precious "scene" is dying, start a band. Start a magazine. Print T-shirts, make something better.

:goonsay:

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

I hate all successful bands, I only listen to demos recorded by my friends bands from 10 years ago. All other music is bullshit.

TheIneff
Feb 7, 2006

BEEP BOOP BEEEEEP

Spiral posted:

I hate all successful bands, I only listen to demos recorded by my friends bands from 10 years ago. All other music is bullshit.

gently caress your friends, they sold out.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

No it's not, that's only some gay offshoot scene that noone takes seriously.
Honestly, just cause this thread features a lot of crappy crap, doesn't mean anything.
Just ignore it and post about stuff you like, like I do.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

A5H posted:

No it's not, that's only some gay offshoot scene that noone takes seriously.
Honestly, just cause this thread features a lot of crappy crap, doesn't mean anything.
Just ignore it and post about stuff you like, like I do.

That gay offshoot scene affects me when I go to a show expecting to see Misery Sinals but they had to drop off and I stuck around since I paid for a ticket and I get to see the lovely headlining band (Bring Me the Horizon) who are terrible beyond belief.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I know this may come as a shock to you, but you know some bands become popular because they are actually good. A rise in popularity doesn't always mean a fall in quality. A lot of bands that are "still releasing quality material" could easily become more popular with the right advertisement, without compromising their music in the process.

429cj
Dec 25, 2006

by Ozma

ShoogaSlim posted:

You really can't listen to, say, Plagues, and say that The Devil Wears Prada is a ploy to get their dicks sucked or something. TDWP has some amazing instrumentation, and I think they get an undeserved bad rap by being grouped in with every other electronic influenced band. Quit bitching about the scene and gently caress right off if its unbearable to you.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

With a website that you need to pay to access "exclusive content" and songs like Still Fly with the dumbest joke lyrics ever, I don't give a poo poo if DWP display amazing instrumentation, they still represent the "I want my dick sucked, let's start a metalcore band" side of this scene.

Also, they're signed to Ferret records. Send an e-mail to the guy from Nora and ask if he signed them because of their amazing musicianship or because he knew they were a marketable band to the teeny bopper-core kids.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 28, 2009

429cj
Dec 25, 2006

by Ozma

ShoogaSlim posted:

With a website that you need to pay to access "exclusive content" and songs like Still Fly with the dumbest joke lyrics ever, I don't give a poo poo if DWP display amazing instrumentation, they still represent the "I want my dick sucked, let's start a metalcore band" side of this scene.

Also, they're signed to Ferret records. Send an e-mail to the guy from Nora and ask if he signed them because of their amazing musicianship or because he knew they were a marketable band to the teeny bopper-core kids.

Still fly doesn't have joke lyrics its a loving cover song, and its a pretty clever adaption of the original. And just because they happen to appeal to a large crowd it doesn't imply that their work is of any lower quality than the bands who hate everybody who isn't hardcore enough to like their particular style.

I mean come on....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJg89RLJUzs

429cj fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 28, 2009

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

429cj posted:

Still fly doesn't have joke lyrics its a loving cover song, and its a pretty clever adaption of the original. And just because they happen to appeal to a large crowd it doesn't imply that their work is of any lower quality than the bands who hate everybody who isn't hardcore enough to like their particular style.

I mean come on....

The lyrics of that song decry fashion in the first line (and so does their band name) but look at these motherfuckers:

Click here for the full 795x535 image.

You can't say they're not scenesters. I just think it's a little hypocritical of them considering the "message" they want to convey.

Anyway, just chiming in to say the new Converge rules. Axe to Fall and Wretched World are both really amazing songs.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 28, 2009

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
gah I said not to start this again and he started it again.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

429cj posted:

I mean come on....

Listen to 1:22 and tell me they "just happen" to appeal to a large crowd.

Do you think they wrote that part and when they played it live they were looking at each other like what the hell are the people in the crowd doing?!

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Listen to 1:22 and tell me they "just happen" to appeal to a large crowd.

Do you think they wrote that part and when they played it live they were looking at each other like what the hell are the people in the crowd doing?!

This is actually pretty cool. I don't like their cookie monster vocals but I don't really see what your big issue is here. Maybe if you don't like it, just don't listen to it? I can't stand Jacob Bannon so I just don't listen to Converge, it works out really well.

Im not sure if you're trying to say that writing music that people are going to enjoy is a bad thing? What are you supposed to think when you write a certain part of a song?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

You don't just "happen to" appeal to a large number of people when you write blatant breakdowns like the one I describe. You are "trying to" appeal to a large number of people. Especially when your breakdowns are as pathetically lazy as the one I described.

I was only arguing that point the other guy was trying to make. I obviously don't listen to poo poo I don't like. I've already expressed the small amount of music I actually do listen to and enjoy in this thread.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

I'm still confused as to what you're supposed to write other than music that other people will enjoy listening to.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Um, maybe you're supposed to write music how you want it to sound, maybe I'm just crazy.

There's a difference between music I don't enjoy like BTBAM who seem to clearly write music that they want to write, and The Devil Wears Prada, who clearly write music that will score them points on the big breakdown scale and get them signed to big name labels.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

So out of the hundreds of bands who clearly were influenced to create the same generic type of hardcore, you don't think that any of them are actually enjoying playing and writing the music they play? That seems a bit outrageous.

I understand what you're saying and I agree with you, but there's also people who just honestly think that lovely medio-core breakdown poo poo is actually awesome.

Just because a band is popular doesn't mean they necessarily "sold out" or whatever buzzword you want to use to say that they are pandering to an audience. Some people just actually think that kind of music is sweet and choose to write it. Different tastes i guess.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I agree with you as well that there are more than likely a bunch of people out there who like the disco-core style of new wave poo poo that is out right now, and writes music in that style because they enjoy it and much to their benefit a whole generation of kids these days eats it up.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

There's a difference between music I don't enjoy like BTBAM who seem to clearly write music that they want to write, and The Devil Wears Prada, who clearly write music that will score them points on the big breakdown scale and get them signed to big name labels.

But what if they really do want to write massive breakdowns and hella slammin' riffs???

What if...they like their own music too?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

You don't just "happen to" appeal to a large number of people when you write blatant breakdowns like the one I describe. You are "trying to" appeal to a large number of people. Especially when your breakdowns are as pathetically lazy as the one I described.

I was only arguing that point the other guy was trying to make. I obviously don't listen to poo poo I don't like. I've already expressed the small amount of music I actually do listen to and enjoy in this thread.

Please tell me how that breakdown is lazier than the songwriting in The Acacia Strain's 3750 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUdFuY74ek&feature=related

I mean come on, this has to be some of the most generic poo poo I've ever heard. Instead of making one lazy breakdown and the rest of the song being somewhat interesting instrumentally, it seems The Acacia Strain decided to just be lazy for their whole goddamn song.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Yeah Acacia Strain have written some lazy breakdowns in their history. But at least their style makes it so that you come to expect it when it comes. DWP just pulls that poo poo out of left field.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Spiral posted:

Just because a band is popular doesn't mean they necessarily "sold out" or whatever buzzword you want to use to say that they are pandering to an audience. Some people just actually think that kind of music is sweet and choose to write it. Different tastes i guess.

It's impossible to "sell out" when most bands in this thread never had any musical integrity to begin with.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

mr.vj posted:

It's impossible to "sell out" when most bands in this thread never had any musical integrity to begin with.
We already went over this. Other than playing what you enjoy (even if others think its really lame and commercial) what does it take to sell out?

What gives a band musical integrity? Most of these lovely breakdown bands absolutely live every moment of what they do... now, what they do is almost total trash, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing it for the right reasons.

I can't figure out how "I dont like this band" means that they "have no musical integrity". Clearly they are all very proficient at their instruments and have honed their craft, what more do you need to have integrity?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The Acacia Strain bashing going on in here is making me sad :(

They're not re-inventing the wheel or anything, and they know that. They have a sound that works for them and that they're really good at and they stick with it. They're not going to start singing. They're not going to start ripping Dream Theater solos. No keyboards. They bring the chug and bring it in large quantities and I love it.

I need to buy a new avatar (this is three years old) so that I can post poo poo like this without appearing like as much of a dickrider as I must in this post

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Spiral posted:

what more do you need to have integrity?

Bad production, blastbeats, and at least a little bit of discharge worship. Also, your cd has to be available only at indie record stores and not the mall. That seems to be what describes integrity.

I really don't get where these metalheads are coming from; the metal and serious-business hardcore/grindcore (profane existence lol) scenes are just as much, if not more, of a fashion show as the metalcore scene.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 28, 2009

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

:negative:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Whatever; i'll listen and talk about the music i enjoy. You do the same.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Parachute Underwear posted:

The lyrics of that song decry fashion in the first line (and so does their band name) but look at these motherfuckers:

Click here for the full 795x535 image.

You can't say they're not scenesters. I just think it's a little hypocritical of them considering the "message" they want to convey.

Not really fair to use that photo - this is what they currently look like:

Okay, so one of the guys is wearing a v-neck, but still.

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 29, 2009

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

anyone else want to post about how angry they are with what the kids are wearing these days? Back in my day we wore flannel jackets and baggy jeans, kids these days with their tight jeans and colorful shirts, DIFFERENT THAN US i tell you, its as if they are DIFFERENT than us. disgusting.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

hey here's a new DEP studio thing stop complaining about fashion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0bOV3Btr_M

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
These guys are completely bonkers. I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Anyone have any opinions on Through the Eyes of the Dead? Just picked them back up recently, and even though their later stuff is more Death Metal than any -core, it's still pretty drat awesome.

Earlier Deathcore stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqhCddD2NHY

Later Death Metal stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNiTW-I7azI (love the opening, but it does drag on a little too long in my opinion)