Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Maybe in french mutant is just the PC term for africans?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
zarkov is that from teh same miniature range?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Not sure what range they're from, they're 54mm scale though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ah ok, I think that french skirmish thing with the afromutants and tu-tu clowns is 28mm

Captain Scurvy
May 29, 2009
Ok here is my test model for my wolves

with flash

without

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Scurv, did you plan on shading that grey in any particular way?

on a side note, Idont know what these are but they are cool:

http://fantization.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11749

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

That first guy looks awesome.

e:
(different guy)

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 26, 2009

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
edit: See? In the time it took to type my post you did it again!

Hey Zarkov, are you ever not on the computer looking at or for miniatures? I'm not trying to dump on you but goddamn, you post stuff nobody has ever seen before on a daily basis!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hey Zarkov, are you ever not on the computer looking at or for miniatures? I'm not trying to dump on you but goddamn, you post stuff noone has ever seen before on a daily basis!

The top guys were on the CMON front page when I was searching for flamers :v:

Those ones above were from PV's link

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 26, 2009

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lootas are the epitome of ork conversion silliness. Slap 3 or 4 random guns together, add some gubbins, done.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Which one of you jokers buried me in a dress?!

Electricfan
Apr 27, 2008

i enjoy action shots

needless to say a single character defeats all these tyranids

an idea inspired by someone else!

a new color scheme for my dudes

and here's a question!

i'm debating weather or not i should bother stripping my unfinished minis before putting on this horrible new dark coat. can you tell which one is the model i stripped and re-primed from the one i just painted over??
the left one was stripped

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Electricfan posted:

and here's a question!

i'm debating weather or not i should bother stripping my unfinished minis before putting on this horrible new dark coat. can you tell which one is the model i stripped and re-primed from the one i just painted over??

I can barely tell. And I spent about 4 hours the other week stripping 50 of those drat pointy models. I say screw stripping them.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Electricfan posted:

i enjoy action shots

needless to say a single character defeats all these tyranids

an idea inspired by someone else!

a new color scheme for my dudes

and here's a question!

Close thread, we've peaked. It's all downhill from here.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

critical googlie eye mass

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Does anyone know a good recipe for verdigris / weathered bronze?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
What is it about googly-eyed tyranids that is so hilarious? I can't stop laughing at these, and I couldn't stop laughing at the old ones either.

The one in the middle of the blue ones with his tongue hanging out is the worst, the very definition of 'side-splitting.'

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Electricfan posted:

I'm going to put it this way:

In the upcoming codex in 2 months, supposing hormagaunts get priced appropriately, they'll be worth as much as guardsmen.

Do you want to put forth that much effort to paint guardsmen?

What's more, point cost aside, do you really want to put forth the effort to strip and repaint ALL those identical horde minis?

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Electricfan posted:

I say just paint over them. The one in that pic looks fine, and that is really all that matters to the swarm.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Anyone got any suggestions for something that I could use as a Blood Bowl ball? Aside from the actual plastic balls - my ones are somewhere in my tub of old miniatures 400 miles away...

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30876997
http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=124764

I personally would just make one out of green stuff.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Still need to finish doing the seal on that melta, after that I need to do another 11 marines in the same shading scheme.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Angryboot posted:

Still need to finish doing the seal on that melta, after that I need to do another 11 marines in the same shading scheme.

I really, really like these.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Angryboot posted:

Jesus. Which gray do you use to highlight?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's codex gray thinned down to maybe 1/10 with water for the brightest parts, codex gray + chaos black thinned down for the intermediate, then codex gray + 2x chaos black thinned down for the darker part. Edges are done with regular codex gray.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Can we oath non-Warhammer warmachine stuff in this thread? I'm scared of asking in the Warhammer thread about such things :ohdear:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This thread is just for miniature painting/etc, there is no brand boundaries whatsoever

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

PaintVagrant posted:

This thread is just for miniature painting/etc, there is no brand boundaries whatsoever

I am going to take this as permission!

By the end of November, I am going to paint one (1) Khador Field Gun Crew and one (1) Vladimir the Dark Prince!

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I've been working on this guy, and I'm pretty happy with how he looks, but a lot of people have mentioned the blinders as being too nurgly. Fair enough.

I'm still on the fence about it, and since it's too rainy to prime, I've got time to decide. I'd like to have a little more in depth discussion here, so as not to clutter up the GBS thread with my indecisiveness.

Reasons to keep it like it is :

• I think with the proper paint, I can make the eyes look like simple metal blinders, like you'd see on almost any horse.
  • I'm not experienced, at all, with greenstuff, so sculpting anything more complex than a smooth flat surface might be a challenge.

Reasons to change it :
  • The leprous spore buboe theme is prevalent in nurgle
  • Having a horse that looks mean, rough, and gritty is great, but a chaos steed is not okay for a warrior priest
  • The more I change it, the more unique my model becomes, which is always a good thing.

So, I'd like to see some ideas or pix of what else I could do without surpassing my meager greenstuff skills.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think youd be fine if you just painted it metal color or black. Just dont make the eye cover thingies a really contrasty color compared to the rest of the horse

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
As someone said, fill in the cracks around the eyes and it'll look less corrupted.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
edit: ^^^ thirding I guess

Seconding PV, if you keep the blinders the same scheme as the rest of the horse armor I think it will be fine. Especially if you keep the borders tight and cohesive.

PV's commissioned plague marines have the nurgle spores in a decidedly biological-looking color that deliberately contrasts the rest of the armor, plus they have incongruent borders that show that they burst out through the armor as opposed to being built as part of it.

If you do end up crafting blinders, I've only ever seen them as basic rectangles:

I mean, there's a slight bevel and curve to the ones in that image, but a straight up rectangle would look fine imho.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I quite like the ones you've got, and don't think they look all that Nurgle-y.

You could always fill in the holes with Green Stuff and have the horse be blind as well as the rider :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Advice, plox.

is becoming super-closeup brushstroke-showing macro version:

I've never painted over white primer before, so I'm learning that there are a lot of differences in technique. What are some of the basic rules you guys have figured out when making that switch from black?

It's also really the first time I've done anything with blue, and I'm not sure it's working for me. I have to choose whether to make that pop more (contrast correction made it come out a bit stronger than real life in the pic above), or to make it more subdued and find some place to put a complimentary color to draw the eye. Obviously I'd intended for there to be more blue in there than this particular Sister model allows with the gun where it is and no mask.

The other thing I think I'm messing up here is on the metal. I'm wondering if using yellow to represent gold on the painter page tricked my brain into thinking there was enough color contrast, but be damned if I'm going to actually paint it yellow. PV: your gold was sepia over mithril, right? Can you advise on just how thin you get your mithril first, and do you paint over any particular base color?

Finally, any random thoughts on what I might do here? I'm torn, in part because it's not very grimdark, but I'm not entirely sure that wasn't the point, or even how I'd begin to rectify that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I really like your scheme actually. For some reason, it gives me a French nun vibe, and I'm cool with that. Because they are French nuns with guns. You just have to get the gold part sorted out.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

White primer is all about washes. Almost every basecoat I paint gets washed, because its easy to leave white primer in recesses which ends up looking like poo poo.

You can build your layers up on top of the washed basecoat as normal.

e: your model looks pretty dope, I think the flesh is a bit too purple but otherwise all the colors look good

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Purple?

I can't even begin to think what I might have put on there that made it purple. Is there any purple to Ogryn Flesh? Maybe it's just the fluorescent and the tweak I did in Picasa to get the contrast right.

I just realized that I forgot to do the grey trim on the shoulder pads and suddenly a lot of what I perceived as messiness just went away.

That gold, though. That gold.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think that you're going to be challenged in that most of the SOB figures have your blue areas covered (chestplate and upper arms). It makes your template a little misleading. You might want to consider expanding the blue areas to make up for how most of the models are posed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Pagan posted:

I've been working on this guy, and I'm pretty happy with how he looks, but a lot of people have mentioned the blinders as being too nurgly. Fair enough.

I'm still on the fence about it, and since it's too rainy to prime, I've got time to decide. I'd like to have a little more in depth discussion here, so as not to clutter up the GBS thread with my indecisiveness.

Reasons to keep it like it is :

• I think with the proper paint, I can make the eyes look like simple metal blinders, like you'd see on almost any horse.
  • I'm not experienced, at all, with greenstuff, so sculpting anything more complex than a smooth flat surface might be a challenge.

Reasons to change it :
  • The leprous spore buboe theme is prevalent in nurgle
  • Having a horse that looks mean, rough, and gritty is great, but a chaos steed is not okay for a warrior priest
  • The more I change it, the more unique my model becomes, which is always a good thing.

So, I'd like to see some ideas or pix of what else I could do without surpassing my meager greenstuff skills.

I really like it as it is. Just treat it as part of the armour and it will look totally fine. Even when used as a chaos model its not necessarily intended to be some hideous extrusion, just some unusual and archaic horse armour.

• Locked thread