Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Raw is up. Got online two days ago, evidently.

This fight is going to piss me the gently caress off, big time.

Ippo closes in, Woli is cornered. He looks surprised, Ippo closes in for the kill and the god drat bell rings. They sit in their corners with Woli as dry as a bone whereas Ippo looks like he just got out of a god drat pool. Two rounds in and the stamina freak looks like a used mop against a rookie in god-mode. Adding to it, Woli has some :smug: face that really pisses me off :argh:

Miguel doesn't seem upset with Woli. It seems like Woli almost intended for that to happen, or he has caught on now with his "genius hurf durf" skills and now he won't get cornered again.

Ippo seems to have cornered Woli by analyzing how he dodges. When he charges forward and throws a right, Woli jumps back and to the left. Using this sort of knowledge, that's how he cornered him. Ippo is being smart for once~

Round begins, Ippo drives against Woli, but just as he is about to hop in to the corner, he skips right past it, seeming to have disrupted Ippo's plan.

Itagaki seems upset, but Takamura mentions that Ippo was trying for luring him in to Kamogawa's corner. As he says that, Ippo swings and Woli jumps away once again. The chapter ends with him hopping in the direction of the Kamogawa corner.

Basically, it's a poo poo chapter that ends at a horrible point. Very sloppy work so far :mad:

Geop fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Goddammit, haven't we had enough of that style of poo poo?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

We have, author hasn't.

:smith:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
well I know you guys hate this fight and have kinda soured on the manga in general but I'm glad to report that Woli doesn't do anything ridiculous like jumping off the corner post or doing a backflip over Ippo's head--he just graps the rope to change directions in mid-jump.

...Of course this is enough to throw Ippo off his poo poo, because he can't see it happen due to his position during his swing...but I imagine it'll be pretty simple to explain to him, even if he doesn't come up with a counter-measure right away.

WELL I STILL LIKE IT :mad: And you can't tell me it's not an improvement over his last two matches.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

loving raging right now. I hate it when Ippo falls for stuff like this and looks like a complete clod. He got a clean one-two in on Ippo who seems harmed just from that. Ugh. Ippo had better Gazelle punch the gently caress out of him in the middle of one of his goofy jumps and knock him out of the ring :mad: It's one thing for him to get pounded early, it's ANOTHER THING ENTIRELY for it to be a god drat rookie.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think Vorg was the last foreigner Ippo fought who was just a very good boxer and didn't have some stupid gimmick. That was what, back in the rookie tournament? Takemura steamrolled a few orthodox foreign boxers and Miyata struggled against a couple of strong but relatively normal guys, so why does Ippo only get lame joke fights?

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think Vorg was the last foreigner Ippo fought who was just a very good boxer and didn't have some stupid gimmick. That was what, back in the rookie tournament? Takemura steamrolled a few orthodox foreign boxers and Miyata struggled against a couple of strong but relatively normal guys, so why does Ippo only get lame joke fights?

Only this fight and the Gedo fight had opponents with lame tricks. Sisfa was perfectly credible as a threat to Ippo and before that he hadn't had a hard fight since Sawamura.

I think people are just still pissed off about Miyata breaking the sound barrier and the contempt generated by that fight is slowly leaking into everything else they remember about Ippo.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sawamura didn't have a gimmick =o Nor did Shimabukuro. Jimmy Sisfa didn't have one aside from being all kamikaze. Just straight-up hard fighters. But I agree; this gimmick stuff is getting old.

Edit: Beatennnnnn :(

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007
He was only talking about foreign boxers for some reason.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

L.E. Cheetah posted:

He was only talking about foreign boxers for some reason.

Augh. Me read bad.

Maybe nobody fights with honor when up again glorious nippon.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Jimmy was a legit threat, but he still fought in a highly gimmicky fashion. It's like playing someone who uses the same move over and over again in a fighting game--they're not cheating or anything, but that doesn't make it any less cheesy or boring to watch. I stopped giving a poo poo once Ippo stopped using creative defenses like getting clotheslined instead of getting punched.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
When Jimmy fought Miyata he was just a very skilled boxer. But by the time he fought Ippo he was suffering from brain damage and dementia, making him yet another gimmick fighter. I guess it isn't so much that Ippo fights foreign gimmick boxers now as that all of his fights for quite some time have been bullshit to some degree. In comparison, Miyata has become a bullshit gimmick fighter so naturally he fights relatively normal opponents.

I want Ippo to fight people who are just plain good at boxing again.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

When Jimmy fought Miyata he was just a very skilled boxer. But by the time he fought Ippo he was suffering from brain damage and dementia, making him yet another gimmick fighter. I guess it isn't so much that Ippo fights foreign gimmick boxers now as that all of his fights for quite some time have been bullshit to some degree. In comparison, Miyata has become a bullshit gimmick fighter so naturally he fights relatively normal opponents.

I want Ippo to fight people who are just plain good at boxing again.

Lets not gently caress around. Every boxer ippo has fought has a gimmick, it's just at this point we want him to be used to it. Soem of the rematches have lessened the initial gimicks, but among other things, one guys gimick was being black, vorgs was the wolf's fang, sendo's smash, there was the under the sea guy who was shorter than ippo, sawamura's goddamn meat thing, mishiba's flicker/ cheating.

The issue is that some of these seem legitimate if slightly annoying, but stuff recently hasn't felt like boxing. We know the japs blow loads over special moves, but these moves aren't really special anymore, they're just... cheesy. And after following ippo for nearly 20 years you gotta figure this loving rear end in a top hat can take a guy down really good and actually move forward without it being a goddamn hassle for once. Even if it doesn't make for along 'exciting' fight it would be such a loving breath of fresh air.

Not to mention how side characters and titans like takamura are getting abused these days.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Holding out for a Dragon Chan equivalent from China :dance: HE KICKS SO HARD AND FAST THAT THAT THE REFEREE CAN'T SEE IT.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Geop posted:

Holding out for a Dragon Chan equivalent from China :dance: HE KICKS SO HARD AND FAST THAT THAT THE REFEREE CAN'T SEE IT.

In a surprise twist Kamogawa registers Ippo to a MMA tournament.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Lamebot posted:

In a surprise twist Kamogawa registers Ippo to a MMA tournament.

Enter three graphic novels of one grapple-hold :gonk:

"PIN HIM WITH YOUR HIPS, BRAT."

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If anyone was surprised by this chapter you haven't been paying attention. This is going to go on for a while.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
We weren't surprised, just...disappointed. I'm hoping for something to set this fight above all others. Which means I don't want to see the fight drag down to the level where Ippo is an inch from death and manages to grasp the gimmick in the last second to take the KO.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I just want a fight where Ippo dominates the gently caress out of someone for a change.

"What's that? You wanna get in the ring with the CHAMP? Boy you must be crazy!"

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I just want a fight where Ippo dominates the gently caress out of someone for a change.

"What's that? You wanna get in the ring with the CHAMP? Boy you must be crazy!"

He beat the tar out of Sisfa to a degree, didn't he? :v: I don't remember it being too close.

But yeah, last time he beat up a sacrificial-lamb-esque opponent was... Geez. Wasn't it Takamura's fight against Hawk? But he won by almost sheer luck there, in his rush for a one-round KO. Prior to that was the Dempsey Roll fight.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
If you think about the long history of Ippo fights, this one is not dragging too badly. I have some hope that it will turn around and become exciting pretty soon.
I bet in a few more chapters and Woli will start to get really scared, and take massive damage.

It'll be great. Maybe we can get a metaphorical sequence. Imagine Woli picturing himself in the jungle swinging around with his monkey buddies, eatin' bananas and bein' chill, and then, some nameless dark entity knocks his rear end down and starts to hunt him throughout the jungle. It would be an awesome way to show that this is "The Ring", not "The Jungle" and that Woli is unfit to remain there with someone as powerful as Ippo.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jedah posted:

If you think about the long history of Ippo fights, this one is not dragging too badly. I have some hope that it will turn around and become exciting pretty soon.
I bet in a few more chapters and Woli will start to get really scared, and take massive damage.

It'll be great. Maybe we can get a metaphorical sequence. Imagine Woli picturing himself in the jungle swinging around with his monkey buddies, eatin' bananas and bein' chill, and then, some nameless dark entity knocks his rear end down and starts to hunt him throughout the jungle. It would be an awesome way to show that this is "The Ring", not "The Jungle" and that Woli is unfit to remain there with someone as powerful as Ippo.

I don't think that it will be interesting, at least to me :smith: It'd surprise me if Woli could with-stand a beating, particularly from Ippo. The best fights have been up against people who could actually HANDLE Ippo's punches (Mashiba, Sendo, Date, etc). The matches where they dodge all but two or three of his punches are just irritating. REALLY irritating (Saeki, whats-his-face who always won by point decision earlier on, etc).

See: gong ring a few chapters back :( It just bugs me.

The Gedo fight got interesting once he got serious and lost the gimmicks that were sending Ippo in to :confused:-mode

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This latest gimmick is really, really awful. Every bit as bad as the Gedo gimmick.

What I don't get is that after telling Ippo what's up, or him realizing it, shouldn't it be really, really easy to deal with this? Just have Ippo aim for where he knows Woli will be (ie not the corner, but rather on the rope). I hope this is what happens, but it'll probably end up being really disappointing somehow.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Ytlaya posted:

This latest gimmick is really, really awful. Every bit as bad as the Gedo gimmick.

What I don't get is that after telling Ippo what's up, or him realizing it, shouldn't it be really, really easy to deal with this? Just have Ippo aim for where he knows Woli will be (ie not the corner, but rather on the rope). I hope this is what happens, but it'll probably end up being really disappointing somehow.

O, he'll do that, but then THE GENIUS Woli will just fly to the corner and beat him once more :what: Eagerly awaiting the satisfaction of Ippo finally hitting Woli, and seeing Woli fly out of the ring, because if this fights ends differently I'll be disappointed

e: link http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/873/01/

Punc fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 9, 2009

PlaceholderPoster
Mar 2, 2009

by Peatpot
I just want the fight to end with Ippo breaking 3 of his ribs and the kid making GBS threads blood on the spot. Just from wild eyed smug jungle boy to utterly broken sack of bleeding meat. Boxing is a brutal sport if you are fighting a guy that hits like a tank that isn't holding back, especially if you yourself have no formal training.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Raw is up.

Woli decides to start fighting and basically beats the ever living gently caress out of Ippo. His movements are like Hawk; it's brawling essentially. He does un-natural dodges, sways, and his punches come from odd angles.

Nearing the end, Ippo makes a wild swing and slips. It's ruled a slip, I believe. When was the last time Ippo had a down, by the way?

Ippo gets up, looking tired but not broken. Not yet :smithicide: Chapter ends with Ippo bull-rushing Woli again.

I have mixed feelings. I thought I'd hate this a bit more, but I'm not that upset with this chapter (I don't think so, at least). Still, Woli's perpetual combination of :3: and :smuggo: really makes me wanna see his jaw get smashed by Ippo.

Woli is probably gonna god-mode another chapter or two, and Ippo hopefully figure something out. As it stands, conventional boxing is loving worthless. He's way too fast for even Ippo, who usually had fast closing speed as one of his weapons.

I'm curious how this will wrap up, in all honesty. There isn't a gimmick; he's fighting without any sort of boxing form. Much like Takamura-Hawk, this will turn in to a brawl somehow. Unfortunately, Ippo only knows boxing. Takamura at least had a knack for knocking the piss out of folk before boxing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

As unhappy as I am with the build up and execution so far to this fight, you are loving WRONG. No one is bad as a Gedo. No one. Ever. It's literally impossible. A fight worse than that wouldn't get published.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

As unhappy as I am with the build up and execution so far to this fight, you are loving WRONG. No one is bad as a Gedo. No one. Ever. It's literally impossible. A fight worse than that wouldn't get published.

I dunno. That dude early on who Ippo fought before Hayami was pretty painful. When I read the manga, I always skip that fight.

Always.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

I dunno. That dude early on who Ippo fought before Hayami was pretty painful. When I read the manga, I always skip that fight.

Always.

The black guy? That was a pretty good fight.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The black guy? That was a pretty good fight.

No, that was Ozma. The fella I'm talking about was after Ozma, and he won fights by point victories. He god-moded Ippo the whole fight, got greedy thinking he could get a KO. He goes nuts on Ippo, who lucks out and lands a last-second KO. It was just after the initial beach training session :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

No, that was Ozma. The fella I'm talking about was after Ozma, and he won fights by point victories. He god-moded Ippo the whole fight, got greedy thinking he could get a KO. He goes nuts on Ippo, who lucks out and lands a last-second KO. It was just after the initial beach training session :v:

Oh, right. The result of that was pretty dumb, but it was nice to have a fight where a K.O. wasn't a foregone conclusion.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Geop posted:

Always.

Well it's not a great fight, but at least ippo is still new, and this guy has got by by sticking to point battles. We're way past where that sort of bull is acceptable, plot wise.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

New raw is up.

Basically Woli continues to god-mode Ippo :mad: Throughout the fight, Woli takes Ippo on in his specialty, infighting. Regardless of it being his specialty, he's beaten rather badly. At the end, Woli goes for a really big wind-up punch, and Ippo charges, trying to hit him in mid-motion. Knowing how this fight has been going, I'm sure Ippo will get the gently caress countered out of him and he'll go down.

Another way to look at this fight is that Woli is essentially the second-coming of Martinez. Even Takamura acknowledged him as being the epitome of boxing talent thus far. Something to help the bitter pill go down a little better, maybe?

Geop fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 17, 2009

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Geop posted:

New raw is up.

Basically Woli continues to god-mode Ippo :mad: Throughout the fight, Woli takes Ippo on in his specialty, infighting. Regardless of it being his specialty, he's beaten rather badly. At the end, Woli goes for a really big wind-up punch, and Ippo charges, trying to hit him in mid-motion. Knowing how this fight has been going, I'm sure Ippo will get the gently caress countered out of him and he'll go down.

Another way to look at this fight is that Woli is essentially the second-coming of Martinez. Even Takamura acknowledged him as being the epitome of boxing talent thus far. Something to help the bitter pill go down a little better, maybe?

No, it is still boring and insufferable. Unless Ippo loses and the manga ends with that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Martinez was always touted as the ultimate veteran with talent, brains and experience on his side. Woli is an idiot savant who learned how to box by chasing monkeys.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Nthing the desire to see this Woli bastard get crushed like a raw egg.

It's manga, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised that every major fight Ippo gets in he's supposed to struggle somehow for the sake of drama, but goddamn, there needs to be more 'Ippo beats the jesus out of people' and less 'We're going to build up some rear end in a top hat nobody gives a poo poo about for months on end until Ippo remembers the meaning of Christmas and decides, predictably after one eye is swollen shut and he is completely exhausted and savaged, to win by landing fewer punches than he has taken in a single round of the match'.

Either that, or have him lose against other excellent boxers. A champ can afford to get taken down a notch or two and then claw his way back up.

I got to the point, a long time ago, where I simply don't read this manga until plenty of chapters have gone by so I don't start getting angry at the pacing, but somehow I was recently sucked back into checking this fight in particular, and I am all angry again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Calling it now:

Ippo's gonna be on the verge of losing. He's going to think about Miyata, and basically do his own version of "Angry Takamura" from the Brian Hawk fight. Unconscious and raging, he's going to somehow completely obliterate Mowgli.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Chapter is up

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
This is so stupid. It's not suspense any more, it's just a quickly rising meter marked "loving PUNCH HIM ALREADY".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

LightWarden posted:

Chapter is up

Godamnit :what: