Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

quote:

The game is probably best in co-op (I only say probably because I can't get it to work ) so do that if you can.

I wouldn't bother with co-op until you've completed a sizable portion of the game. I jumped into co-op around level 10 and my buddy who was playing with me basically sprinted everywhere and killed all the monsters. He whined when I read the quest descriptions and whenever I wasn't purchasing something he'd charge to the next area and jam on the button which forces you teleport to the next stage.

The nice thing about co-op is that anyone can drop in and it skips all the major cut scenes so if you don't want to see all the unskippable scenes in single player you should just host a private or LAN game. The PC version has been chugging like balls (freezes every time I try to enter a public game) but multiplayer, once you know what you're doing, is a blast. I'm the kind of guy who likes to enjoy single player first before speed running through it getting random rear end drops and poo poo. The world is pretty neat, enemies are well designed, and all the different weapon combos encourage experimentation which you likely won't get to do with 4 impatient assholes trying to railroad you around.

As far as single player length goes, my buddy's about 7 hours in and he's on "part 2." I don't know how far that is but he's been playing all day nonstop and he's the "gently caress cinemas/story/text bullshit CLICK CLICK CLICK" type of player that goes from waypoint A to waypoint B as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Because your friend is mentally retarded, it doesn't mean everyone else's is

I played co-op right from the very beginning with 3 other people and had a blast. The game was made for co-op, and it's substantially better in it. Play it and ignore the single player.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Because your friend is mentally retarded, it doesn't mean everyone else's is

I played co-op right from the very beginning with 3 other people and had a blast. The game was made for co-op, and it's substantially better in it. Play it and ignore the single player.

Co-op skips out on the wonderfully done intro and a bunch of other scenes. I'm saying if you want to play the game at your own leisure then go single player until you get the ropes down.

I haven't figured out how loot drops work but everyone can grab whatever drops. Money and experience is shared and you can drop items but I don't know what's stopping someone from grabbing a nice gun then leaving.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

OxMan posted:

Gamepro did 2 issues with a walkthrough of FF8 split in two way back in the day, and the absolute BEST thing about it, which all walkthroughs ever should have, was a list of missables, aka you can only get this summon stealing it here, you can get this item here, but then it's gone, you can only steal this awesome item from this boss, which was written in order, and by disc. If someone still has those issues, or knows where a similar thing could be found, I'll thank you by playing through the entirety of FF8.

FF8 is a game with a ton of annoying lost-almost-forevers that can really hurt you if you miss them. Many GFs are only available by drawing them from bosses, so if you forget to draw or kill the boss before drawing successfully you'll have lost access to the GF for nearly the entire remainder of the game. (You can find any ones you missed in the very last dungeon, but once again you only get one chance at it.)

Bosses also tend to carry magic and items that aren't available again until much later in the game, if at all.

As a rule of thumb you shouldn't kill any boss in FF8 until you've drawn from it extensively, especially making sure there are no ???? draws left, and also mugged it for its item.

wallace
Oct 30, 2003
Some more tips on Last Remnant (I played PC, but I imagine theyre mostly applicable to xbox)

- Try not to increase your BR too much until you have at least 15 dudes/have all the characters you want. The lower your BR the easier it is for your dudes to get stat increases, so if you have a massive BR then get your last 3-6 guys, those last few are probably going to suck. Until eagles nest you can pretty much just run through most areas. Doing this first game could make you a bit cash strapped though.

- Apparently if you kill things quicker, you gain BR quicker. As in, if you keep killing monsters in the very first round your BR will increase quicker. This is a bad thing.

- On that note, a bunch of quests disappear at certain parts of the game, from memory I think it is after eagles nest, check up one of the walkthroughs if youre concerned though.

- talk to your party members every time you see them in towns, after a while theyll get stat increases, and a couple will give you quests (Nora specifically)

- Avoid making 'jack of all trade' characters, with the way unions work I find it just makes the whole union suck. Healers are the possible exception here, its handy giving them have SOME kind of offensive capabilities. You will get some characters who start with 2, 3, even 4 different skill trees (paris, snievan) open, its best to decide which ones you actually want to use, and disable the other trees.

- Put similar characters into unions together, dont mix up unions with casters & melee together in the same union. If you do youll generally only have one union member using a special attack while everyone else uses auto attacks, even if you have massive amounts of AP stored up. You can push a button on the battle screen that shows what attacks people will use (and what order) for the different options, so check that to make sure they arent going to do stupid poo poo.

- Later on youll get some characters (generally healers) who have massive AP generation - stick these in either smaller unions, or unions with characters that have powerful, high AP attacks (like jager!).

- This especially helps with the casters, as the leaders can use massive spells like blackout/whiteout/etc, which requires X units in the union to cast X kind of spell.

- Grab gaou (can get fairly early from baaluk) and jager (later on in the game, hired from one of the unlockable guilds), both are excellent dudes.

- Dont just blindly give your partymembers whatever items they ask for, it isnt always a good idea. Sometimes theyll also ask for items that you can dissemble for rare items. Also, you never get them back, so once you give it to them its gone. I also think there is a bug or 2 that can ruin a characters weapon upgrade paths if they pick up a specific weapon (torgal from memory).

- The new game+ starts you with the cash (you get a cash bonus from finishing the last game), crafting items and skill orbs from the last game. So make sure you disable any trees you dont plan on using on rush in the new game, or youll end up with an amazingly useless character. This also means that you should dissemble everything you can before you start the new game, as crafting items get moved over, actual items do not.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can I get some tips for Magna Carter 2, as it's coming in Monday from Gamerang?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

This is likely a long shot, but does anyone have any tips for Battle For Wesnoth?

I've just started the main campaign and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help me win easier.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Centipeed posted:

This is likely a long shot, but does anyone have any tips for Battle For Wesnoth?

I've just started the main campaign and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help me win easier.
I can't stand the game, but I do remember the LP being interesting and at least somewhat informative. It's a start if nothing else. It's archived here.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Centipeed posted:

Well, depending on how scrupulous you are about playing fair, you can always save the game before every attack and reload if things don't go quite your way...

Dodgy tactics aside though:

- Start with a beginner or tutorial mission, which will keep things small and give you an idea of how to utilise troops without getting too difficult too quickly.

- Use troops correctly. Blunt and magic damage are good vs undead for example, whilst piercing damage isn't, and obviously you'll want to enage at range with archers and in melee with combat troops.

- That said it pays to check how your enemy will attack back. Even one attack at range might be worth it if it means your enemy can't attack back.

- Use cavalary (if you have it) to your advantage. Double damage when attacking can kill an enemy outright before they get chance to attack back.

- Use healers. If time allows, heal up after each engagement and plan your movement around the speed of your healers. You can pretty quickly form an unstoppable wedge if you can heal any damage that comes your way.

- Force squared. Basically, kill enemies dead with overwhelming numbers. It maxes your damage while minimising incoming - you're almost always better off focussing on individuals than spreading damage around a number of different ones.

...And a tonne more. However http://wiki.wesnoth.org/AdvancedTactics should cover virtually everything.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Anything for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King? I'm like 30 days into it, and it doesn't seem like there's any way to permanently screw myself over, but I figured I'd check this thread first. I don't care about min/maxing type hints, just if there's anything I definitely must or definitely shouldn't do.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just bought Torchlight after the recommendation on the video game article. Anyone have any tips?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Lockback posted:

Just bought Torchlight after the recommendation on the video game article. Anyone have any tips?

Start on hard; Normal is too easy and basically no challenge at all. Don't enchant unique items; the cost is many times that of enchanting lower quality items and the 6% chance of all its powers being wiped will bite you in the rear end. Stick with enchanting lower quality items and they'll quickly surpass uniques of a similar level, except the ones that have powers you can't get through enchanting.

Hold shift to stand still while attacking (useful if you're ranged).

There is no save function; the game autosaves on game exit and when you enter/exit areas.

You have a shared stash that all your characters can access a little ways north of your regular stash. Hardcore chars can only share stash with other hardcore chars.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 31, 2009

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ember Lance, and Richochet/explosive shot are really overpowered until you get near the end of the game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AG3 posted:

Hold shift to stand still while attacking (useful if you're ranged).

Holy crap thats useful.

Also, started it on Normal and quickly found that yes, there's basically no challenge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is the wiki known to be down or something right now? Browser just goes to the "welp there's no server here" box immediately, I was hoping to go look up the Last Remnant :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 1, 2009

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I took advantage of Steams 5$ deal on STALKER:SHADOW OF CHERNOBYL and I'm planning a bit of marathon gaming on it in the near future, so I was wondering whether there's any tips, tricks, or warnings I should probably know before starting the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ledneh posted:

Is the wiki known to be down or something right now? Browser just goes to the "welp there's no server here" box immediately, I was hoping to go look up the Last Remnant :(

Seems to be. In the meantime: http://forums.somethingawful.com/f/search/result?qid=30117

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holy poo poo when did search come back? :aaaaa:

(thanks)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I took advantage of Steams 5$ deal on STALKER:SHADOW OF CHERNOBYL and I'm planning a bit of marathon gaming on it in the near future, so I was wondering whether there's any tips, tricks, or warnings I should probably know before starting the game.

It's not a conventional FPS and if you play it like one you'll get frustrated fast. Some important bullet points:

-You can't aim directly at the head and expect a headshot even at point blank range. The recoil of the gun coupled with your breathing causes you to pull UP when you fire. To hit your target, aim at the center mass. I guarantee you'll get more headshots by aiming at an enemy's sternum than you ever will their head.

-A gun's handling affects its recoil and the accuracy affects how far the bullet stays on track before it veers in a random direction. Keep this in mind when choosing weapons for long range engagements. This isn't Halo or Call of Duty; you're not going to be sniping with a pistol or shotgun. Ever. Always use the iron sights (if you're a real man you'll turn the cross hairs off) and always crouch behind cover while aiming.

-Fast is slow and slow is good. The more you're moving the more inaccurate your shots are. Blindly running around will also lead you headfirst into an anomaly. Don't camp, either. The human AI loves flanking and midway through the game when you start fighting experts they'll spam grenades (grenades appear on your radar as tiny little icons but you only have 2-3 seconds to sprint like mad... which will usually lead you directly into enemy fire). Remember that you can lean and because movement is important you should never hug cover. Here's the proper way to stay covered while keeping 100% mobile:

-Always maintain visual contact of enemies. The game does a good job with enemy camouflage (pretty much every suit blends into the environment) and enemies will split off to flank you, crouch real low and they always use cover. Your radar tracks enemy movement (only human movement) by aggression. If they're aware of you they'll appear as a small red blip. When they fire at you they'll appear as a large red blip. If you break visual they'll disappear and that's when things get bad.

-Abuse your binoculars as they're pretty hax. They automatically pinpoint any living creature, mutant or human, even if they're not directly visible or blocked by cover. Holding sight for a few seconds will tell you if they're hostile or friendly (mutants are always hostile).

-Don't horde weapons. Practically every gun has terrible resell value and will only weigh you down. Carry a primary and secondary weapon and maybe a backup with a few magazines of ammo. Artifacts, little floating objects you'll find near anomalies, have the highest sell rate and they're light weight.

-FINALLY a note on mods. I recommend against using them until you've played for at least an hour or two to get to know the game. Most mods completely alter the way the original game is supposed to be played by adding in altered accuracy (you shouldn't be able to kill people with a short-barrel shotgun from 50 yards away while sprinting, I'm sorry) or mutant spawn points. The best mod IMO that's 90% cosmetic changes and only adds in a few luxuries (like repairing equipment and making it so that ALL silencers are stealthy and not just built in ones) is STALKER Complete 2009. It's essentially Vanilla 2.0.

Keep in mind these tips are me playing on Hell the hardest setting but even on normal mode you can't play this game flippantly. It punishes stupid decisions and impatience by overwhelming you constantly. Areas you thought were safe will suddenly be populated by mutants, random anomalies, and bandits. Simple fact, if you drop your guard you will die.

The game has its problems but it's my favorite "shooter" since Deus Ex (and unlike Deus Ex the developers are keen to keep their existing fanbase).

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Ledneh posted:

Sorry, my server is borked. Gimme a couple of days or so.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

People with platinum can now search again, and if they preface their search with threadid:2969807 they can search through this thread only. Pretty handy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Any advice for Atelier Annie? Time Limits are one of the major things in games that make me :byodood:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Al-Saqr posted:

drat thanks for the heads up on this. And thanks for all the tips, al-azad.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Twitch posted:

Anything for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King? I'm like 30 days into it, and it doesn't seem like there's any way to permanently screw myself over, but I figured I'd check this thread first. I don't care about min/maxing type hints, just if there's anything I definitely must or definitely shouldn't do.

You can't fire adventurers. Once you hit the unit cap, you're stuck with that same set of jerks for the rest of the game!

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I'm starting Cave Story again and not giving up at the very beginning this time. On my previous attempts, I got discouraged by how easy it was to die at level 1, but it's not so bad after that.
Anyway, are there any secrets early in the game that I won't be able to return for later?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I'm starting Cave Story again and not giving up at the very beginning this time. On my previous attempts, I got discouraged by how easy it was to die at level 1, but it's not so bad after that.
Anyway, are there any secrets early in the game that I won't be able to return for later?
I assume you don't know the prerequisites to get the best ending? If you don't there's pretty much no way for you to stumble upon the way to get it accidentally. Are you OK with this? It's not a long game, especially the second time through (maybe 4 hours or so tops?), but if you really don't feel like going through it again* you might want to grab a FAQ to get the requirements.

I think pretty much only the story-related stuff to determine your ending are the things that are permanently missable. There's a medal you can get from fighting a boss and not getting hit, but it doesn't do anything. Also you can trade weapons at various points of the game, but you're probably better off not doing it. Well, your first time through the game the Machine Gun might be better, but if you're going for the better ending you want the Spur instead (which you get by keeping the Polar Star and revisiting the Gun Smith later on in the game).

One side piece of advice though: The Life Bottle you get from Jenka can be refilled just by revisiting her. But it stands to reason that no matter what you keep a spare one with you before fighting the final boss (and especially if you're doing the Bonus Dungeon for the best ending).

*But you should anyway cause the game rules

E: When you reach the final area of the game, you won't be able to return. So technically I guess everything is permanently missable if you enter the final cave and haven't gotten all of the heart containers/missile upgrades/whatever.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 2, 2009

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Thanks! I think I'll find a faq.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
The Wiki is down, and I've got a couple quick questions for Final Fantasy Tactics 2 for the DS.

-Do I need to min/max? I'd really prefer not to.

-Will I discover all the jobs myself?

-Anything world-shatteringly important and missable ala zodiac spear?

-Are moogles good for anything? I'd rather not have one, can I get away with that?

-How big does my guild get? I like the idea of fielding my classic team, do I need dozens of guys? How do you keep them leveled?

-Whats the deal with dispatch missions? My guys never seem to win, and how many of them should I send?

-Any way to get more ability points per fight? Learning new abilities seems to go slowly.

-Are your guild stats only used to qualify you for different missions?

-Is the viking job any good? I sure hope so...

Sorry if any of these have been answered before, I appreciate your patience!

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Olaf, you were always my favorite viking out of the three. Here's hoping that viking class is worth it too!

Anything I should know before getting too far in Prinny: Can I Be the Hero Now? I seem to have a choice with what time of day I choose for each level, but is there really any reason to tackle the harder difficulties?

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Blight Runner posted:

Olaf, you were always my favorite viking out of the three. Here's hoping that viking class is worth it too!

Anything I should know before getting too far in Prinny: Can I Be the Hero Now? I seem to have a choice with what time of day I choose for each level, but is there really any reason to tackle the harder difficulties?

You will be forced to. The first eight levels (not counting the tutorial) are played out during the first eight hours of your search for the ingredients, the order in which you tackle the levels determine their real difficulty (it gets harder the fewer hours you have left), the star-rating when you select them is just their base rating.

So, every level has eight variations dependant on which hour you play it at (except for the final two levels that you always face on hour nine and ten). Both the level layout, enemies and the boss you face at the end will vary (although, to be fair, a lot of the boss variations are the same boss with different dialogue, which you will appreciate and long for when you manage to hit the very specific combination of level and hour that has you facing a larger-than-the-screen dragon instead of a weak ninja).

Doing the levels in order of star-rated difficulty isn't actually the simplest way of going about it, since that means you'll face the very toughest version of the very toughest level at the end of your eight-hour search. I'm not saying you should have at it FIRST, but try to tackle it somewhere in the middle.

There are some more nuances like an alternate playmode and a pretty funny sidestory if you play three specific levels at their equally specific hours, but the best thing about the game is that you really don't have to worry about it because you can't permanently miss anything! Whether you complete the game, run out of lives or simply choose to end it via the appropriate orbed character you get to continue in a new game+ from the beginning with all your collectables intact, free to choose a different combination of stages. You also keep the levels you played through accessable through the orbed demon that lets you replay them to find hidden dolls/beat times anytime you want.

So, yeah... That's lot of word just to say "don't worry about it."

Tzar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 5, 2009

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Thanks a bunch Tzar, guess I can relax (as much as the difficulty allows :suicide:) and just plow through it.

Oh, I also picked up a copy of Cross Edge for the PS3 (yay Disgaea crossover). I haven't started it yet coz of the sheer amount of characters in that game. Anything I should be wary of when I finally get the guts/determination to start it?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
So I was thinking of compiling a list of games with no ending(s). This would apply to non-arcade games with a linear progression (Mario Paint, Tetris, not so much). This has basically come from me noticing that there more of these than I'd have thought. In old NES games, I've noticed this in T&C Surf Designs, Donkey Kong 3, and Balloon Fight. Tingle's Balloon Fight for DS also has no ending. There's also Mega Man Soccer and King of Fighters XII. Should I try to incorporate this into the Wiki or make this a separate thread?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 8, 2009

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hexic HD has no end either.

I'd say that something that would probably be used more would be a list of games that CONTINUE after the game itself is done, the ending presented, and the credits played. Games such as the GTA series, Tales of Vesperia (AND with new game +) etc.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is your wiki dead?

What should I know about Overlord 2?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is your wiki dead?

What should I know about Overlord 2?

I also want to know about the Wiki, becuse I'm getting Last Remnant and don't wnat to gimp myself.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

The Wiki is down, and I've got a couple quick questions for Final Fantasy Tactics 2 for the DS.

-Do I need to min/max? I'd really prefer not to.

-Will I discover all the jobs myself?

-Anything world-shatteringly important and missable ala zodiac spear?

-Are moogles good for anything? I'd rather not have one, can I get away with that?

-How big does my guild get? I like the idea of fielding my classic team, do I need dozens of guys? How do you keep them leveled?

-Whats the deal with dispatch missions? My guys never seem to win, and how many of them should I send?

-Any way to get more ability points per fight? Learning new abilities seems to go slowly.

-Are your guild stats only used to qualify you for different missions?

-Is the viking job any good? I sure hope so...

Sorry if any of these have been answered before, I appreciate your patience!

-No, the game is made really easy if you do in fact. It's definitely there if you decide to later

-You will eventually, if you want them earlier look them up

-The main thing you can't fix later; your stats are determined by what job you level up in. If you want the best stats, you need to level up in specific jobs (you said you didn't care about that though)

-Moogles aren't horrible or anything but they're considered to be the worst race. They have some useful jobs and skills but you do not need one at all.

-Your guild has space to carry a lot of extras, as well as story characters. You can stick with one team forever if you want to

-With Dispatch missions send as many as you want to gain AP, if you can't spare too many it's not a problem. Before you send them, look at how they react; if they're jumping up and down, there's a good chance of them winning the mission. If they're shaking their head side to side, they won't. Certain missions also require certain classes, you can figure them out from the descriptions.

-You'll eventually get the clan ability Bonus AP 3 through doing clan trials. It helps a huge amount, triples the AP from smaller fights.

-Guild stats are for different missions and I think you need certain stats to try certain trials? Anyway the trials unlock new abilities so you want to do those.

-Vikings are the only class in the game that can steal equipment (or one of the only). Either way it's a lot harder to steal equipment in this one, thieves only steal loot now. Vikings are a sort of physical/magic hybrid but their magic is weak and there are better classes for the race so no they're not very good sorry :(

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

-Vikings are the only class in the game that can steal equipment (or one of the only). Either way it's a lot harder to steal equipment in this one, thieves only steal loot now. Vikings are a sort of physical/magic hybrid but their magic is weak and there are better classes for the race so no they're not very good sorry :(

I haven't played Tactics A2 yet, so this might not be relevant, but... There was a recurring theme in the preceding games that jobs with great skills don't have the stats to back them up. The reverse was also usually true. Examples from FFT: Draw Out, Math Skill, Break Skill, Dance, Sing. All great skill sets that were much better used with other jobs.

There's a very good chance the viking's skill set is better used by another job.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I figure a lot of people will be picking this up who've probably never played before so:

Modern Warfare 2

The plot is retarded. Don't try to understand, just appreciate the insanity of the setpieces.

For multi:

Check your corners, never sprint around a corner unless you're running away from someone. If you come across a blind corner, aim down your sights and slowly move into it. If you have a flash throw it to cripple the guy that will usually be camping.

The weapons in MW2 are far more powerful now and since there's no juggernaut except for a shortlived deathstreak you don't have to take stopping power at all. It gives you a slight edge but it's not a requirement at all.

Cold Blooded is one of the most useful perks in the game. By using it you are invisible to most snipers, sentry guns, every single air attack (apart from nukes and bombing runs) and the entire UAV system. That's a hell of a lot of power.

If you see your radar go all funky, especially if it's a gradual fade out, then you've got an enemy with Scrambler near you. How close he is will be indicated by how fuzzy the radar becomes. You can use this to get the drop on him as you know he's there but he might not have that info on you.

Most people camp blind corners with heartbeat sensors. It sucks but it's true. You might die once to them as an accident but anything after that is all on you as they usually don't move. Use Ninja, bullet pentration, flank him, do whatever, he's probably not going anywhere.

Maps are much more complex this time around. Expect an attack from any area, both horizontally and vertically (especially if there's any windows, which there always are). People are discovering new vantage points all the drat time.

While most people by now have figured out how to take out a riot shield there's still a few who freak the gently caress out when you approach them. With the shield, you are completely protected while crouched from absolutely everything infront of you provided you have the shield level with the ground and you remain rigidly still. If you move, even slightly, your feet will be exposed and a good player will murder you. That said, you get XP for every bullet you soak up and reflect. See that sentry over there? Crouch as close as you can to it while staring at its barrel and you will soak up an insane amount of damage, be flooded with XP and probably complete several challenges.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Lockback posted:

unless you like to hold your fingers on shift, tab and the number keys (awkward!) you will need to google for how to change the key configuration. You will need to edit a text file - don't bother looking for it in-game.

The Nether Imp spell only works on corpses, and it will cast where your mouse pointer is, not automatically on any nearby corpse.

Defense is an important stat, and whichever other stat you use to deal damage, so 2 of the 4 stats will be useless to you (except for item requirements).

Transmute your low level green and purple items into gems (requires 4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Argon_Sloth posted:

I haven't played Tactics A2 yet, so this might not be relevant, but... There was a recurring theme in the preceding games that jobs with great skills don't have the stats to back them up. The reverse was also usually true. Examples from FFT: Draw Out, Math Skill, Break Skill, Dance, Sing. All great skill sets that were much better used with other jobs.

There's a very good chance the viking's skill set is better used by another job.

That's true, some of the more powerful classes don't have the best skill growth, because they'd be overpowered and you have to choose between good stats or good skills. Vikings are only usable by the new Seeq race though, and NONE of their jobs are good at magic, which is a problem. The viking skillset also doesn't go too well with the other jobs the Seeq can have, even though those jobs work really well with each other.