Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kuffs posted:

I'm gonna see about stuffing some FT shocks from a spare parts RC10GT stash on it. If only Associated hadn't gone through about 3 different shock cartridge designs I could figure out if either of my rebuild kits will work on them.

So, this truck came with 12mm hex conversion kit for running Slash tires and rims. Previous owner had put Pro-line Epic Bead-loc rims on it with stadium truck tires mounted on it. Partial ribbed in front, holeshots in the rear. First off, it looks stupid. The tires and rims don't even fit under the body like they should. Short Course trucks are about scale looks. Second, why would you put stadium truck tires on this thing? Just buy a loving T4! And last of all, the bead-locs weigh about a hundred million pounds. Rotating mass heyoooooooooooooo.

I really like the captive hinge pin design on the T4/B4/SC10. Sooo much nicer than dealing with e-clips.
Any 12mm hex conversion that was done is probably hack. Pick up a set of the new Trepador tires from HPI. They work freaking awesome on my Blitz. AE had a problem with the first batch of their wheels on the SC10. They would strip quicker than a whore with a 100 dollars. Also - the Team Associated off road shock design has remained unchanged for over two decades. You will want Associated part number 6440 to rebuild any shocks that have been on the GT, or SC10. The other thing to get is the new bleeder caps, #6443. Make building AE shocks 100 times easier, and you get it right the first time, every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Any 12mm hex conversion that was done is probably hack. Pick up a set of the new Trepador tires from HPI. They work freaking awesome on my Blitz. AE had a problem with the first batch of their wheels on the SC10. They would strip quicker than a whore with a 100 dollars. Also - the Team Associated off road shock design has remained unchanged for over two decades. You will want Associated part number 6440 to rebuild any shocks that have been on the GT, or SC10. The other thing to get is the new bleeder caps, #6443. Make building AE shocks 100 times easier, and you get it right the first time, every time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is just the front knuckles from a Slash fitted to this thing. The nuts holding the wheels on are 7mm.

The PO included a pair of stripped AE wheels with some Pro-line treads on them. I'm running the stock tires and wheels right now, don't know the vintage for sure. Guess I'll find out if/when I strip them :).

Thanks a bunch for the tip on the offroad shocks. I'm pretty sure I have two of those kits. I stuffed a set of of TC3 shocks on my Nitro RS4 2 and was surprised to see a new cartridge design. I had just assumed that the design covered the entire line. I also remember finding a couple different part numbers when looking for rebuild kits a while back and that fueled my confusion.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ran my Tamiya 415 for the first time in anger for well over a year. Got one 4th place and three 2nd places. All I did was put a new battery in it :)

Going to be doing an electric vintage off road enduro next month. All cars have to be made before 1990, or if it is a reissue, it has to be close to the original specifications. Can't wait.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

You Am I posted:

Going to be doing an electric vintage off road enduro next month. All cars have to be made before 1990, or if it is a reissue, it has to be close to the original specifications. Can't wait.

There is a contributing writer for R/C Car Magazine that always has some awesome vintage articles. Where are you located in Australia again? I have forgotten.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There is a contributing writer for R/C Car Magazine that always has some awesome vintage articles. Where are you located in Australia again? I have forgotten.
Melbourne

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

You Am I posted:

Melbourne

Which suburb? I lived there for about a year and a half. Little time in the eastern suburbs (Caulfield/Malvern), but mostly out in the west (Melton, St. Kilda, Glenroy) and a short stint in Geelong. I freaking LOVE Geelong. The CBD was awesome too. The only hobby store I ever saw was up near Essondon. I think I remember seeing one out in Werribee too that had a track and stuff. You guys have to pay so much at the hobby stores, I would always buy online I am sure. I miss Melbourne so much - hope to get back with my wife in the next couple years.

Troph
Aug 30, 2004
A few of you older guys may get a kick out of this relic. It's my/my dads old kyosho optima mid, modified back in 96/97ish to be a rock crawler long long before anybody else was thinking of producing them. we ran 600-800mAH batteries and could get about 30 minutes out of it with slow crawling. the baja body almost guaranteed landing back on the wheels after a crash. the tires were a bit to large for the dog bones so those would snap those left and right but it was still a super fun car. Parts a getting hard to come by so it mostly sits on a shelf now along side it the best transmitter ever created the Airtronics XL2P (you older guys know what im talking about).

for reference this is what it started out as

god i love 80s paintjobs

Troph fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 30, 2009

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
^^That's from the same era as my old Turbo Ultima, which was the peak of my offroad racing career. I loved that car. I replaced it with a Schumacher Cougar circa 1990, and that was such a frustrating piece of crap I quit.

I got the Stranahan 3-link for my CRC GenX-10 today. It's a really good kit and pretty reasonably priced ($100 IIRC) considering all the stuff included. CF nerf wings, a new, thick CF bottom plate, a new right side bulkhead, a pair of shocks and literally everything else needed to install it, and then some. Even a drill bit. A Dremel or equivalent is needed for some very minor trimming of the shock tower mounts, but if you have one that takes less than two minutes.

The suspension movement is now very supple, and beautifully controlled in all axes. This should be good.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Man, I did some informal SCT racing at a friend's backyard track today. That was some of the most fun I have ever had.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Troph posted:

for reference this is what it started out as

god i love 80s paintjobs

I used to want one of those so bad, there was a now-classic Car Action picture of one of them flying over a tabletop jump at a BMX track, totally level in the air and eye-level with the camera. How stoked was I went I went to California and worked in the same office with the guy who designed that thing?! You can see some of the DNA from the Optima/Ultima in the Baja still, very cool.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I may have to get a blitz. Last night was the first race of a Short course point series at a local track. Over 30 entered, and the top 5 were all Blitz. HPI is dominating.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Been continuing to tinker with my GenX 10. Changed the three link pieces to steel and have dropped the angle of the lower arms to something a little more realistic. I can't do it more precisely till the car is assembled and I can measure the CG height to figure out the antisquat percentage. Looks better, at any rate, although there's little rear steer now.

Excuse the carbon fiber dust all over everything, I've been making this:

A damped short-long arm front end to replace the sliding kingpin setup. I'm using turnbuckles and rod ends for the lower arms. I've actually had to do very little cutting, just trimming up a spare set of CRC track wideners. Not that I've measured yet, but the geometry seems fine. Track and wheelbase are exactly stock, camber gain is OK and the caster doesn't change the way it's set up. I'm a little worried about rim clearance with that cap screw on the bottom, but I don't have any on hand at the moment.

I have an idea about how to mount the shocks, by putting a lever on the upper arm somehow and laying the dampers down near horizontal.

Another thought is to mount a single damper horizontally, still using levers on the upper arms. I don't think that's a good idea though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I may have to get a blitz. Last night was the first race of a Short course point series at a local track. Over 30 entered, and the top 5 were all Blitz. HPI is dominating.

I'm in Minnesota with family today, and walking around one of the smaller towns (Hastings) I came across a guy who was flogging one of those in the middle of the street. drat thing can move, and it made it really tempting to go offroading and get into short course trucks.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Welp, raced my Formula Ten for the first time. That was humbling. Not because it drives like crap, I just have no idea how to tune a T-bar type car and it's been about 4 years since I've raced. So I didn't do any wrenching on it other than fixing a stripped servo horn. With about 50 minutes between heats, I was able to go home and get my laptop so I could watch some UFC and install a game.

The cars looked really cool going around the track, though, there were even some wheel-to-wheel crashes. I need to figure out which paint to put on the wings so it doesn't crack while flexing.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

So, how crazy am I for considering selling all my RC stuff except my transmitter/receiver and picking up a Baja 5B SS?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
hehe

Well, *I* would say it's a totally reasonable purchase, especially if you broke even on all the stuff you sold. Get a set of those super-hard tires from one of those companies that makes things for the Baja and have some fun :)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I can make about $700-$800 on my RC stuff including keeping 2 good servos and my MX3 FHSS.

In all honesty I'd get bored with it in about a year and sell it off again, but that's just my attention span. If I don't go get one I'm going to be quietly wanting one for loving ever because oh my GOD do they look fun as hell.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

So, how crazy am I for considering selling all my RC stuff except my transmitter/receiver and picking up a Baja 5B SS?

You would be about this crazy:

(The last one is mine. We were running it around on a simple tarmac course. Lots of fun)

Those pictures are from a public event that we hosted along with HPI at my work. Sooo many Bajas. Soooo many broken parts. If you bought a Baja without selling all of your old swag, you would end up selling it because the Baja is that awesome. I loved my SS buggy, but the Truck is a lot more fun for me to drive.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hypnolobster posted:

I can make about $700-$800 on my RC stuff including keeping 2 good servos and my MX3 FHSS.

In all honesty I'd get bored with it in about a year and sell it off again, but that's just my attention span. If I don't go get one I'm going to be quietly wanting one for loving ever because oh my GOD do they look fun as hell.

You'd just need one standard servo, IIRC the SS comes with a 1/5th scale steering servo.

Somewhat Heroic - what's your workplace? Just curious. PM if you can/want.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I considered the hell out of the 5T, but I have a truly severe lust for classically shaped buggies. The Grasshopper was my first RC car, so I secretly despise all 4wd buggies, and the 5B is literally the only buggy on the market that looks juuust right.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

doublepostin'

Does anybody have experience with a T-Maxx?

I've finally gotten around to taking my friends dad's ancient 1.5 tmaxx to fix it. The clutch gear/spur gear ate a spring that was holding the throttle shaft away from the spur gear (at least I think that's what it used to be doing before it was eaten) and the clutch was destroyed, spur gear melted and the top end of the transmission is curiously unattached internally to the driveshafts.
I can spin the spur gear shaft, but it doesn't affect the output shafts at all.

Edit:
Well, I just didn't search hard enough, it seems. Apparently they're internally clutched on the spur gear as well as on the bell. At least I don't have to take the transmission apart now!

I really like this thing though. I remember playing it when I was like 15 when they first bought it. I'm sorta tempted to spend $130ish and grab one off of eBay just to gently caress around with. Maybe spend an extra $60 and throw in a 2.5 motor.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 22, 2009

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You would be about this crazy:

(The last one is mine. We were running it around on a simple tarmac course. Lots of fun)

I'm assuming these are a series. What broke on that landing?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

^^^^
Those are not in succession. There was a ton of jumps, most were successful, some were not. All that really got messed up was some blown out shocks, a shredded front top plate, and a broken front tower. I will post some pictures later. I just am lazy and don't want to resize for hosting.

krushgroove posted:

You'd just need one standard servo, IIRC the SS comes with a 1/5th scale steering servo.

Somewhat Heroic - what's your workplace? Just curious. PM if you can/want.

I mentioned before at the beginning of the thread, but I work at HRP Distributing out of Salt Lake. If people were to go snooping around and were creepy internet people it wouldn't be too hard to find out who I am.

Question for you is are you a "Facebook Fan" of HPI? ;)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah yes I remember now, been a while :) I'm a fan of both HPI Facebook pages! hehe

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

Stock car, quick black paint on a beater body for racing (it makes me sad to destroy a nice looking body while racing/bashing).

Well, a few months of sitting around a lot, some frantic races at the local dirt track (which made me break about $60 in hinge pins, a-arms, ball diffs, belts... the 4.5 Novak motor REALLY likes to eat diffs and belts) and then a little longer sitting around and I just got it back out this weekend to gently caress it up some more. The beater body's quick both side rustoleum paintjob is looking just a tiny bit worn.
Updated picture time :)

I haven't even used the nice body I painted. Hopefully, I'll come into some money so I can just buy a Baja 5B SS outright and not have to sell this car. It's a complete blast. It's a goddamned rocketship off the line and after you get used to the oversteer, really fun in corners. Super flat in the air, too.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Anyone have any insight to running LiPo rx packs? The NiCd pack in my RC10GT seems to be royally hosed (2 runaways recently). And I've been very pleased with the Chinese LiPo packs that I bought for my SC10.

From what I gather, TURNIGY 3A UBEC w/ Noise Reduction + ZIPPY Flightmax 2100mAh 2S3P Receiver Pack = true bliss?

Any leads on a voltage regulator that will cut-off or provide an alarm if I get too low on the pack? I have a Futaba 2.4Ghz system and the failsafe will activate if the rx pack gets too low, but I don't know where that cutoff lies. I suppose 92% efficiency on that UBEC combined with a 6v output setting means it will stop providing 6v below 6.52v input. 6.4v is about the ideal cutoff for a 2S LiPo pack.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

kuffs posted:

Anyone have any insight to running LiPo rx packs? The NiCd pack in my RC10GT seems to be royally hosed (2 runaways recently). And I've been very pleased with the Chinese LiPo packs that I bought for my SC10.

From what I gather, TURNIGY 3A UBEC w/ Noise Reduction + ZIPPY Flightmax 2100mAh 2S3P Receiver Pack = true bliss?

Any leads on a voltage regulator that will cut-off or provide an alarm if I get too low on the pack? I have a Futaba 2.4Ghz system and the failsafe will activate if the rx pack gets too low, but I don't know where that cutoff lies. I suppose 92% efficiency on that UBEC combined with a 6v output setting means it will stop providing 6v below 6.52v input. 6.4v is about the ideal cutoff for a 2S LiPo pack.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/90/products_id/9574/n/Novak-2-Cell-Smart-Stop-Li-Polymer-Cut-Off-Module
That can flash or do throttle interruption to neutral and leave you with steering control.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
That sounds like it would probably work with a throttle servo as well. But I was kind of hoping for an all-in-one regulator + low voltage cutoff.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I've been looking around, and I haven't found any regulators that have a low voltage cutoff (which is REALLY weird. sorta seems like a no-brainer feature).

The only consolation is that the majority of lipo protectors are really small :v:

Still, even if you didn't use a cutoff, a 2100mah lipo regulated down to 6v should last though a whole bunch of tanks of fuel, I'd imagine.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, that was the second option. It's not like I'm draining it nearly as fast as my SC10 drains its main battery.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Is anyone here into Scale Stage RC Rally cars? If you don't know what this is, SSRCR uses either dedicated rally cars (of which there are few) or converted touring cars that have had their suspensions raised and strengthened for off road use. Here's some info with links to a ton of cool pictures and videos.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/324325-scale-stage-r-c-rally.html
http://www.monkeyracing.cz/
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=cs&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http://www.rallybrno.cz/&prev=hp&rurl=translate.google.com
http://www.rcrallysport.com/foto/RC%20FINLAND%20RALLY%202009/RC%20RALLY%20FINLAND%202009/album/index.html
http://www.carlife.net/bbs/board.php?bo_table=motorsports&wr_id=1869

I converted my HPI Cup Racer for rally a while back and it only set me back about $30 in parts. It's had several alterations done to improve ride height and sealing but other than a set of touring car wheels mated with some Tamiya Rally Block tires, threaded shocks, and a home made LED kit, it's completely stock. It's using a Novak GTB 17.5 with Havoc 3s ESC, Team Orion Lipos, and a Spektr8um Dx3s. This thing handles great on grass, mud, dirt, even the beach and with on road tires it's a drifting monster.

Click here for the full 1014x760 image.

Tomorrow I'm picking myself up one of these as a b-day present to myself.

It's a purpose built rally car that is essentially a Dark Impact buggy with shorter a arms and shocks.

edit: Also, anyone in the Bay Area wanna bash?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've always loved the idea of RC rally, but isn't the biggest problem a lack of viable tracks? You don't want to run them on the same crazy-rear end jumps that you'd run a truck / buggy on, and nobody with an onroad track wants to get dirt on it at any point.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

James Woods posted:

rally stuff

fuuuuuuuuuuck, I wish rally would become popular :(. I'm holding out for the Kyosho DRX

fake edit: oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've always loved the idea of RC rally, but isn't the biggest problem a lack of viable tracks? You don't want to run them on the same crazy-rear end jumps that you'd run a truck / buggy on, and nobody with an onroad track wants to get dirt on it at any point.

The best part about these cars is that they'll handle both on road and off road (jumps included) tracks just fine. The problem is finding a single track that has both. Part of what interested me in these cars in the first place was that the Cup Racer was utterly useless on anything but a near perfectly flat surface like a basketball court and even then an errant pebble would send the car flying at high speed. Now, when just bashing with friends, I take my rally car all the same places I take my SC-10. If I get enough people locally I may try and set up a track on some steep hiking trails that chicane up a hill so running is at a minimum. I may also see if I can get one of my local tracks to do a rally race where we do a time attack of five laps each on both the on and off road tracks using the same setup on your car.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

kuffs posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuck, I wish rally would become popular :(. I'm holding out for the Kyosho DRX

fake edit: oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Oh sweet jesus.

No, no, I'm not even considering it. I've got a Baja 5B SS to buy and THAT'S NOT HELPING ONE BIT.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My Nitro RS4 2 is kind of a joke compared to modern on-road cars. I may have to see about converting it.

This was kind of already my plan in the first place.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Oh my loving god that track is awesome

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

kuffs posted:

Oh my loving god that track is awesome

Here's some video taken there.
http://cafe.daum.net/realcircuit/YGZn/120
I'm really partial to this one for all the scale attention (i.e. churches, bridges, guardrails, etc) that was put into it.
http://vimeo.com/1793487

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Holy hell that looks nice.

If you tried to run rally cars at my local track, they'd be thrashed to pieces in a few laps unless you actually have some level of moderation with the throttle. As it is, I've broken parts just from harsh landings while running out of class tires and a 4.5 brushless in my 1/10 buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah rally :)

Love it. My avatar on RC Tech is the McRae Impreza with 'OG' on the side. Kinda tooting my own horn here, but I'm really proud of it: at the old SoCal RC track I got together a bunch of guys from Associated, Losi, Yokomo and of course HPI for a big Friday rally race - we had over 20 guys there, plus RC magazine editors, and the guy who built SoCal's tracks made option lines for the rally cars so the buggies could go over a double-double and the rally cars could go over a straight pothole bit. It was really sweet and really pissed off the buggy guys - especially when the faster rally guys were faster than stock buggies! That event helped get the TC10 rally kit into production too, after a friend of mine got pics of his in one of the RC mags. Good times.

James Woods posted:

I'm really partial to this one for all the scale attention (i.e. churches, bridges, guardrails, etc) that was put into it.
http://vimeo.com/1793487

I'm waiting for folks to comment on the guys running after the cars. It looks WAY cool and fun to do, but it's one of those things that isn't that cool to watch. I'd do it though :) That track in Japan looks awesome, too. I'd join either of those clubs in a heartbeat.