Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
HOLY poo poo GUYS

We have a release date for new Bosstones

December 8, and the tracklisting:

Graffiti Worth Reading
Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah
The Route That I Took
You Left Right?
Too Many Stars
Your Life
I Wrote It
Not to Me on That Night
Wasted Summers
Sister Mary
It Will Be
The Death Valley Vipers
The Bricklayer's Story
A Pretty Say Excus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
yes yes yes yes yes yes

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

Alright so this afternoon/tonight I'm going to be uploading some more "local" music (as in from Syracuse), this time it's Razbari Sumthing. They really don't mind since they're broken up now and I want more people that aren't from Syracuse to hear them

Basically what I'm saying is post if you want some rad tunes, or IM me tonight, or something

I saw these guys the first year I went to Ska Weekend. I was thining "what the gently caress is their name and why are they on the main stage?" HOOOOOOOOLY poo poo can their horn players play. Saddly when they lost their drummer on of the trumpets started playing the drums. It sucked because their songs lost all the cool stuff the 2 trumpets could/would do. Still very good band and I listen to both of their albums often.

Backno fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 29, 2009

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And the other trumpet is pulling double duty as the singer when they do reunion shows, now

I can't wait to go home at Christmas and see them play again

Last time they played one of their oldest songs, and it's a terrible song, and they couldn't remember any of the words and oh my god it was just spectacular

e There's 2 EPs and an album, what do you have

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

HOLY poo poo GUYS

We have a release date for new Bosstones

December 8, and the tracklisting:

Graffiti Worth Reading
Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah
The Route That I Took
You Left Right?
Too Many Stars
Your Life
I Wrote It
Not to Me on That Night
Wasted Summers
Sister Mary
It Will Be
The Death Valley Vipers
The Bricklayer's Story
A Pretty Say Excus

I saw that today. Throwdown tickets go on pre-sale tomorrow, public sale Saturday. I'm gonna be going to the 27th and 28th shows. They're at the House of Blues this year, not the Middle East. :( And there are only 3 dates this year. Kinda sad, but they can sell more tickets if they play the HoB.

From their site "This year's Throwdown is shaping up to be something special as we'll be joined by past Throwdown heroes and hometown zeros alike. Please check back for details."

"Hometown zeroes"? I really really hope this means Darkbuster is coming back. They were awesome and I really miss them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah I follow PunkNews on twitter, most of the time I don't give a poo poo but sometimes they tell em about the new bosstones album

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anybody need the presale code for those tickets? HoB sent me an e-mail with the code.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Dickeye posted:

You know their album is out, right

I say this because I get mucho cred from them for getting internet people to buy it

Yeap picked it up off Amazon a few weeks back.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

And the other trumpet is pulling double duty as the singer when they do reunion shows, now

I can't wait to go home at Christmas and see them play again

Last time they played one of their oldest songs, and it's a terrible song, and they couldn't remember any of the words and oh my god it was just spectacular

e There's 2 EPs and an album, what do you have

razbari sumthing ep and the great distraction

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Backno posted:

razbari sumthing ep and the great distraction

that's the demo then

EPs were Saks On Ball Street and Forget The Words

e: Shoot me an IM

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Anybody need the presale code for those tickets? HoB sent me an e-mail with the code.

I could use it. The only email I've gotten is from the Bosstones with a code to download the free song. Unless that code is the same as the ticket code. Was it "presale"?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I could use it. The only email I've gotten is from the Bosstones with a code to download the free song. Unless that code is the same as the ticket code. Was it "presale"?

The HoB presale never happened. However they released a bunch of presales on their site, no password!

http://www.bosstonesmusic.com/MMB47F20394X48N909J3VIP/

EDIT: Just bought 1 ticket each to day 1 and day 3! Pre-show meetup, anybody?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 30, 2009

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I got tickets to day 2 and 3. Couldn't skip out on family christmas activities on the 26th. :(

I got the package for day 3 that comes with the album on cd and vinyl. Should be awesome.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

that's the demo then

EPs were Saks On Ball Street and Forget The Words

e: Shoot me an IM

I dont have PMs :( my email is username @ gmail

edit also I double checked I have forget the words, not the demo. I can never remember the names of albums :downs:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Backno posted:

I dont have PMs :( my email is username @ gmail

edit also I double checked I have forget the words, not the demo. I can never remember the names of albums :downs:

alright cool i can shoot it to you

PS I also do not have PMs, that's why I ask for Instant Messages from interested parties

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

guppy posted:

So, it took forever, but Sonic Boom Six's newest album (City of Thieves) is apparently now available in the US! I didn't see any announcements, but I check Amazon MP3 every so often, and it's listed (just bought it, $8.99). iTunes does not appear to have it.

Here's a link (with SA's affiliate referrer if I did it right): http://www.amazon.com/City-Of-Thieves/dp/B002RB14J6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1254739912&sr=1-6
I liked it. I usually hate mousey voices but it seems to work in this context (very cheeky mock-angst). I'm surprised, their albums are not usually this consistent. They're goin places!!! Goin good places!!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
I think I need to use some of the bday/xmas money I just got/am getting to stock up on some cds. There are like 4 off the top of my head I need to get (moon invaders, green room rockers newest one, fatter than alberts new one, and a few others)

also I <3 my new avatar. warhammer 40k + ska = match made in heaven

Backno fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 14, 2009

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The new FTA album is so goddamn good and I am so glad I bought it when I saw them this summer

That was seriously the best show I've seen. Better than the Toasters.

HeySka
Jan 3, 2006

...or is it?

RottenVelvetaDoc. posted:

http://www.myspace.com/monkeyska

Not sure if the list is being updated, but these guys have been around since the 3rd wave. Really good Trad ska style band from San Jose, CA. called Monkey. They used to play shows with Skankin Pickle and Let's Go Bowling back in the day. Currently they are on Mike Park's Asian Man record label.

My old bass player plays for them now. Donelle is one hell of a bass player and she got in with a great group of people. Certainly is a long way from the days in Missoula, MT. Now I just need to get them up here to play. We haven't had any good ska since the Skoidats used to play here on a regular basis.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

The new FTA album is so goddamn good and I am so glad I bought it when I saw them this summer

That was seriously the best show I've seen. Better than the Toasters.

oh I know its good, I DL'd when they had it on their sight, but I saw them at Ska Weekend the first year I went and I gotta support them.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Backno posted:

oh I know its good, I DL'd when they had it on their sight, but I saw them at Ska Weekend the first year I went and I gotta support them.

It's still up there afaik, along with Erin's Runaway Imagination

They need to put Most Poets Do up there, that poo poo is equally rad and if I knew their stance on people sharing it I would hook folks up

e: In other news Ben Weasel stops selling through Asian Man because he just realized Mike Park of Asian Man and Mike Park of Skankin' Pickle are the same Mike Park

I love Weasel, but come on man Pickle owned

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

It's still up there afaik, along with Erin's Runaway Imagination

They need to put Most Poets Do up there, that poo poo is equally rad and if I knew their stance on people sharing it I would hook folks up

e: In other news Ben Weasel stops selling through Asian Man because he just realized Mike Park of Asian Man and Mike Park of Skankin' Pickle are the same Mike Park

I love Weasel, but come on man Pickle owned

I can vouch that they in fact do not give a poo poo, I asked the least time I saw them :) .

Also talking to Charlie while he is drunk as gently caress about the saints while the rest of the band are trying to pack up their gear is good times.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Backno posted:

I can vouch that they in fact do not give a poo poo, I asked the least time I saw them :) .

Also talking to Charlie while he is drunk as gently caress about the saints while the rest of the band are trying to pack up their gear is good times.

I wasn't saying that in some backhanded BOY I WANNA HAND FILES OUT way, that was a legit statement, I don't like handing out freebies unless I know the band is cool with it

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

I wasn't saying that in some backhanded BOY I WANNA HAND FILES OUT way, that was a legit statement, I don't like handing out freebies unless I know the band is cool with it

nope I understand, I was jsut saying that that whoel group of guys are really, really cool people.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aw man guess who just updated, you may have heard of them, this band called Streetlight Manifesto

11.17.2009 | Still Alive, Still Kicking
Hello there everyone. Let's jump straight into it, shall we?

1) 99 SOR. We're being buried with emails regarding the release date but we can't announce one because we don't know when it is. What we can say is this: some record labels (not naming names here, so it can't be "libel") are just plain horrendous. That's pretty much all we can say for now. Seriously though, it's a sad fact that the bullshit bands have to put up with from some labels isn't worth the benefits (ha!) of being on said labels.

That being said, it looks like 99SOR: Volume One will be released on vinyl via the Pentimento Music Company long before it comes out on CD or digitally. Stay tuned for a release date for the vinyl. We'll also be posting clips from the record in the next few days, along with artwork, since it is in fact finished and just sitting around (you have no idea how frustrating it is).

2) People are also asking when we'll be hitting the road again. We have no tours planned as of this very minute but we are planning our 2010 now. More importantly, though, we will be heading into the studio soon (as is a particular electricity deficient collective..) and we don't plan on touring until we have a few records to release.

3) The Risc Store just got a bunch of new items, Streetlight and otherwise. 'Tis the season yada yada blah blah blah..

4) During our downtime, our resident tenor sax genius will be giving lessons. Straight from the Conti's mouth:

Jim Conti will be offering saxophone lessons along with music theory tutoring/instruction in the Montgomery County, Maryland/NW D.C. area. Individual instruction for all levels on alto, tenor, or baritone. Lessons can include classical and/or jazz and improvisational instruction. Anyone interested can contact him (serious inquiries please) at jim_conti@live.com for more information.

Obviously we are very fond of our Jimmy, so no stalkers or creeps please.

That is all, see you at the next update, with soundclips!

Putting heavy money on Tomas "leaking" the album around the time the vinyl comes out

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wish I had time for sax lessons. I live close enough it's feasible.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
poo poo, that's enough to consider picking up a sax. I have a trumpet I bought years ago but realized I couldn't play.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just realized there's a thing in there about BOTAR recording soon

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Streetlightmanifesto.com posted:

11.17.2009 | Still Alive, Still Kicking
Hello there everyone. Let's jump straight into it, shall we?

1) 99 SOR. We're being buried with emails regarding the release date but we can't announce one because we don't know when it is. What we can say is this: some record labels (not naming names here, so it can't be "libel") are just plain horrendous. That's pretty much all we can say for now. Seriously though, it's a sad fact that the bullshit bands have to put up with from some labels isn't worth the benefits (ha!) of being on said labels.

That being said, it looks like 99SOR: Volume One will be released on vinyl via the Pentimento Music Company long before it comes out on CD or digitally. Stay tuned for a release date for the vinyl. We'll also be posting clips from the record in the next few days, along with artwork, since it is in fact finished and just sitting around (you have no idea how frustrating it is).

2) People are also asking when we'll be hitting the road again. We have no tours planned as of this very minute but we are planning our 2010 now. More importantly, though, we will be heading into the studio soon (as is a particular electricity deficient collective..) and we don't plan on touring until we have a few records to release.

3) The Risc Store just got a bunch of new items, Streetlight and otherwise. 'Tis the season yada yada blah blah blah..

4) During our downtime, our resident tenor sax genius will be giving lessons. Straight from the Conti's mouth:

Jim Conti will be offering saxophone lessons along with music theory tutoring/instruction in the Montgomery County, Maryland/NW D.C. area. Individual instruction for all levels on alto, tenor, or baritone. Lessons can include classical and/or jazz and improvisational instruction. Anyone interested can contact him (serious inquiries please) at jim_conti@live.com for more information.

Obviously we are very fond of our Jimmy, so no stalkers or creeps please.

That is all, see you at the next update, with soundclips!

Preview clips :dance:

If the record is finished, one of them should rip it onto a laptop, pop over to a Starbucks or somewhere else with public wifi, and throw it up on a public torrent tracker or something. It's really frustrating that they have a whole album of material that nobody can hear because Victory are a bunch of jerks.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Alright as to not get my hopes up I'm expecting to hear this around April 2010.

Bought some new stuff from the store though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Preview clips :dance:

If the record is finished, one of them should rip it onto a laptop, pop over to a Starbucks or somewhere else with public wifi, and throw it up on a public torrent tracker or something. It's really frustrating that they have a whole album of material that nobody can hear because Victory are a bunch of jerks.

I'm anticipating a leak around the time the vinyl drops

Or at the very least, someone will rip the vinyl and upload it to skachilles

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

poo poo, that's enough to consider picking up a sax. I have a trumpet I bought years ago but realized I couldn't play.

I can play euphonium, but I own a trumpet and trombone. Both of which are just different enough for me to not quite make them work.

e: I too have literally no reason to not learn. Hrmmery.

dnz fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 19, 2009

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
I own a trumpet and a mellophone (french horn bent like a trumpet and uses the same fingerings as a trumpet) I got off ebay for 90 bucks shipped. Played them in a ska local ska band with a few friends for laughs.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

gently caress the mellophone, sounds nothing like the horn and takes a totally different technique to play.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I used to play trumpet in middle school. Music teacher was super cruel to everyone who didn't play everything perfect so I stopped playing. I should pick it up again though.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Miscellaneous_T posted:

gently caress the mellophone, sounds nothing like the horn and takes a totally different technique to play.

I know, its played like a trumpet. Except I can actually play a mellophone a WHOLE lot better then I cna trumpet.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Hey Joshwow I got your album at the Best Friends Fest and I just made a connection can you please confirm this;

Do you suck kites?

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Last week was a great concert week for me. We Are The Union on Tuesday, Ska is Dead IV on Friday, and Less Than Jake on Sunday. And Art Brut on Thursday, but you don't care about that.
-We Are The Union only played like 25 minutes, but were great. I can't wait for the new full length.
-Ska Is Dead IV was a mixed bag. It was supposed to be in a smaller venue that shut down, and I think the move killed it. Yes, it added a bar, but made it feel empty. Last Martyrs of A Lost Cause played their last show there and they had to use a fill-in vocalist since the singer quit. I'm going to miss those guys. Also, it was nice to see Mustard Plug again. Apparently a new album is in the works.
-Less Than Jake. I had to suffer through the Casualties, but LTJ loving killed. They played Short on Ideas/One Last Cigarette in the encore, it was loving awesome.

Hooray for new Streetlight merch (namely the screenprints), boo to Victory. Are Victory just being dicks on purpose or something?

Finally, inspired by the end of the decade lists I see popping up everywhere, I'm starting to try and throw together a best of the decade mix. One for 2000-2004, and the other 2005-2009. If you had to pick 5 ska/ska-related songs from the past decade, what would you pick?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Yay, a list. Not putting them in order or anything.

Less Than Jake - The Ghosts of You and Me
Five Iron Frenzy - See the Flames Begin to Crawl
Streetlight Manifesto - Here's to Life
RX Bandits - In her Drawer
The JB Conspiracy - Pipe Down

But again I would accept pretty much any LTJ (well other than IWTOC) or SM song.

Also got the blue jumping man SM poster and the second-EP-release-BOTAR-cd-cover poster on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Jacknife to a Swan
Streetlight Manifesto - What a Wicked Gang Are We
Planet Smashers - Unstoppable
Less than Jake - The Science of Selling Yourself Short
Five Iron Frenzy - On Distant Shores. This a bit of a copout, because it's to get "Every New Day" played within the last decade, I'm not sure if I can count the live version off the End is Here. Failing that, if I didn't pick "See The Flames Begin to Crawl" I'd just be doing to be contrarian.

I'm in agreement that anything from SM is a great inclusion.

---- Stand outs from my ska Pandora station that I hadn't really heard of before, may be a bit older, and I feel like mentioning:
Suburban Legends - Bright Spring Morning
Seventy Seven - The Furious
Get Along - [spunge]
Ego - [spunge]
Fortune and Fame - The K.G.B
Confessional - Upstanding Youth
Think Straight Again - The Barrymores

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 23, 2009