Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
If you do any significant amount of gaming at all, you're really better off to get the official drivers. Just because Windows Update installs the drivers that work doesn't mean they're the latest version, or even the official ones from the manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

m2pt5 posted:

If you do any significant amount of gaming at all, you're really better off to get the official drivers. Just because Windows Update installs the drivers that work doesn't mean they're the latest version, or even the official ones from the manufacturer.
As far as I know Windows Update will push the latest WHQL drivers, which usually isn't a bad bet. But if you're gaming and interested in every last drop then the newest drivers will probably enhance performance.

xydrine
Jul 5, 2009

FISA Approved...
Either way, without the official drivers, you don't get the nifty control panel with customization options (goes for both nVidia and ATI cards). Most gamers tend to use this (or nHancer/RivaTuner) rather frequently.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I installed Win 7 home premium (retail upgrade) on my PC last week. I got a new SSD today and was planning to image my install across to it. However, now I want to reinstall windows as apparently Win 7 has some special functions it installs (e.g. trim) when it detects that it is being installed onto a SSD. Is there any craziness I need to do for re-activation?

DAMN IT
Apr 29, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

I installed Win 7 home premium (retail upgrade) on my PC last week. I got a new SSD today and was planning to image my install across to it. However, now I want to reinstall windows as apparently Win 7 has some special functions it installs (e.g. trim) when it detects that it is being installed onto a SSD. Is there any craziness I need to do for re-activation?

The worst that will happen is you won't be able to activate over the Internet and you will have to call India to get a manual activation. You tell them you upgraded your hard drive, they ask you how many computers Windows is installed on, you tell them just the one, and then they activate it for you. It's possible that you would be doing all that with an automated touch-tone thing rather than a live operator, as well.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

corb01772 posted:

The worst that will happen is you won't be able to activate over the Internet and you will have to call India to get a manual activation. You tell them you upgraded your hard drive, they ask you how many computers Windows is installed on, you tell them just the one, and then they activate it for you. It's possible that you would be doing all that with an automated touch-tone thing rather than a live operator, as well.

Sounds easy. Thanks for the tip.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

xydrine posted:

Either way, without the official drivers, you don't get the nifty control panel with customization options (goes for both nVidia and ATI cards). Most gamers tend to use this (or nHancer/RivaTuner) rather frequently.

You can get the control panel seperate from ATI. It's not a big download either. I'm not sure but I think the drivers it installed for me, which I assume were grabbed when I put in my disk to install and before the first reboot, are from September 30th. They're not that old.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just installed 7 Home Premium upgrade over my Vista HP HTPC. Installed the OS with out even needing to reboot. What kind of sorcery is this?

For some reason I don't see the Netflix plug-in in WMC. Is there something I have to do to install that?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
To chime in on ATI drivers: Me and a few other people on various forums have run into a pretty serious issue with 9.9/9.10 Catalyst drivers in Win7. What will happen is pretty much any game will crash after a random amount of time with a DCOM, Power, or Plug and Play error, and the PC will automatically restart. I have the 4850, but it's also happened with the 4870, I've heard.

There's been little help from AMD/Microsoft, but it seems to come down to the HDMI audio drivers/Mobo ethernet drivers being incompatible with the ATI drivers. From what I understand so far, it's the Realtek drivers that the card has problems with, and it's a bitch to fix. Besides the similar ATI cards and Realtek drivers, another commonality is Gigabyte mobos. I guess it could be any board that uses Realtek, but there's not enough known about it.

To fix, I had to roll-back to the 9.8 drivers, disable my onboard sound and the HDMI sound, and uninstall Catalyst Control Center. So far I haven't gotten a crash, but I'm not sure if I really did anything.

Obviously this isn't that common, and it probably won't happen to you, but if it does you'll at least know you're not the only one (even if there's no fix :()

E: I might as well comment on-topic. I just set up XP mode, and even though it's no VMware, it's an easy way to have compatibility with older software. Extremely easy to set up, and it even has a VMware-style menu bar when you fullscreen. I only ran into one issue, which is Gigabyte motherboards need a BIOS update to run Virtual PC (goddamn they have so many errors). I'm still in the process of testing it and seeing what it can and can't do, but so far so good.

It also plays nice with VMware, no need to uninstall or change settings.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 30, 2009

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

There's been little help from AMD/Microsoft, but it seems to come down to the HDMI audio drivers/Mobo ethernet drivers being incompatible with the ATI drivers. From what I understand so far, it's the Realtek drivers that the card has problems with, and it's a bitch to fix. Besides the similar ATI cards and Realtek drivers, another commonality is Gigabyte mobos. I guess it could be any board that uses Realtek, but there's not enough known about it.
4890, Gigabyte MB, HDMI audio for speakers and realtek audio for headphones. Guess I'm boned!

(Hasn't happened yet, I'll report in if it does)

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Dominoes posted:

4890, Gigabyte MB, HDMI audio for speakers and realtek audio for headphones. Guess I'm boned!

(Hasn't happened yet, I'll report in if it does)

There's a good chance you don't have it, since it tends to happen even right after a clean install. Weird thing is mine didn't have the issue at first, I started using HDMI then it did, I stopped with HDMI and it still did, then I did the fix I mentioned and it (seemingly) corrected it. Be thankful you don't, it really sucks having something like Left 4 Dead crash in the middle of a campaign, when you've found that groove and your teammates aren't idiots :sigh:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DeathFlame posted:

Windows Update installed the new ATI drivers automatically for me after install. A little flicker (no restart) and voila, latest drivers.

You probably want to get the drivers from ATIs webpage @ game.amd.com instead.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

So after not being able to download the iso from Gizmodo/Digital River that DarthBlingBling gave me before, (and finding other people online having the same problem) I looked around on torrent sites for the iso mentioned in the OP, (7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso) and grabbed it.

The hash values aren't the same though, and now I'm not sure whether I should go through with the install or not, or if it's going to screw things up for me. The Windows DVD/USB program sees it as a legit boot file, so what sort of risks am I looking at here if I go ahead with it?

nrr fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 30, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There is no way in Hell I'd install if it was the wrong hash. You're pretty much playing with napalm if you do that. (You have no idea what's in the file. Probably Windows, maybe with tweaks, maybe with a virus, maybe with a Sherman tank. Once the hash fails to match, it's almost impossible to trust it.)

That said, you may not want to delete it right off. Could just be a bad torrent or write glitch. Force recheck the torrent. If anything pops up bad, let it redownload the bad pieces. If nothing does, try pointing another torrent at the image. See if it corrects the errors and results in a matching hash then.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 30, 2009

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

nrr posted:

So after not being able to download the iso from Gizmodo/Digital River that DarthBlingBling gave me before, (and finding other people online having the same problem) I looked around on torrent sites for the iso mentioned in the OP, (7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso) and grabbed it.

The hash values aren't the same though, and now I'm not sure whether I should go through with the install or not, or if it's going to screw things up for me. The Windows DVD/USB program sees it as a legit boot file, so what sort of risks am I looking at here if I go ahead with it?

Could be anything, from a minor upload glitch, to having rootkits preinstalled for your pleasure. I'd grab a new one and make sure it had a matching hash. You also might want to look for ones that claim to have the proper hash, and see if people comment that it does.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Welp. It was a "VIP Trusted" Piratebay torrent, if that counts for anything, and I just spent loving 4 hours downloading it, on top of the 3 I spent getting 60% through the Gizmodo/DR one that failed at ~75%.

Damnit.

Ok, so does anyone know where the iso's in the OP can be downloaded? I could swim through an ocean of possible iso's before I actually find a legit one.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't get stuff from tpb.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thankyou stanley for your fine post. Any help on what I could do perhaps, instead of what not to do?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There are about eighty billion other torrent sites. However, we can't direct you at a particular file, because that would be :filez:, and we can't direct you at a particular tracker, because we don't know what they have.

The hashes are only available in the interest of user safety and security, and in any case hashes for non-v7-Ultimate versions of Windows - or other Microsoft software - are easy enough to find even on Microsoft's site.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 30, 2009

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Just google the MD5 and 'torrent' or some such and just read some of the comments (I hope I don't get banned for this)

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
As Sir Unimaginative, we can't point you at a particular file, nor can we point you at a particular tracker. But I can confirm that at least three large trackers have the file available for download, and TPB has indeed gone to poo poo.

If you need a hint, you're "hunting" for an "iso". If you can't figure it out from that, I can't really help you.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Is there a way to show the power icon for laptops on my desktop? I want the 1-click change your power options settings so I can have a "I'm working, give me 5 mins before screen shuts down, 10 mins then hibernate" setting, and a "I'm in bed watching movies, don't turn off my drat screen" setting. As it is, this is a pain in the arse to do.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just got my disc in today (yay Canada). It says I need to disable my AV (nod32) and backup files. Does it delete poo poo? I have a ton of music that I really don't have time to move around right now.

Or is this just hyperbole and I can pop in the disc without any worries? Upgrading from Vista 64.

Atzepeng
Oct 30, 2009

I did upgrade as well a few days ago without deactivating my NOD32. So you should be fine when you dont disable it. There can be issues when using ESET Smart Security though. Not sure what exactly.
The backup up is just in case something wents horribly wrong I guess.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Vintersorg posted:

Just got my disc in today (yay Canada). It says I need to disable my AV (nod32) and backup files. Does it delete poo poo? I have a ton of music that I really don't have time to move around right now.

Or is this just hyperbole and I can pop in the disc without any worries? Upgrading from Vista 64.

A backup never hurts, but it shouldn't delete anything if you're doing an upgrade. Anything that it needs to get rid of will be moved to Windows.old (users, program files, windows, a few others).

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Just received my copy of Windows 7 today. Shipping was nice and fast (3 days from Cali to Texas)

Going to wait until November to install it on my new computer though.

Evil Home Stereo
Jun 26, 2008
edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Evil Home Stereo fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 30, 2009

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

wintermuteCF posted:

As Sir Unimaginative, we can't point you at a particular file, nor can we point you at a particular tracker. But I can confirm that at least three large trackers have the file available for download, and TPB has indeed gone to poo poo.

Cheers. I don't really see how it's ooga booga FILES when I have already purchased the program and have a valid key and the file I need is specifically mentioned in the OP, which means there has to be some legit uses for it and therefore it's possible that not everyone looking for it is a scumbag pirate. Like asking for your help to break into my own car, I don't think you guys are gonna get busted for Grand Theft Auto. But I'm not interested in derailing the discussion into a piracy shartfest, so thanks again for your help and 4 Day Weekend, I reckon you can probably sleep easy tonight knowing that your tenbux is safe bro.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

nrr posted:

Cheers. I don't really see how it's ooga booga FILES when I have already purchased the program and have a valid key and the file I need is specifically mentioned in the OP, which means there has to be some legit uses for it and therefore it's possible that not everyone looking for it is a scumbag pirate. Like asking for your help to break into my own car, I don't think you guys are gonna get busted for Grand Theft Auto. But I'm not interested in derailing the discussion into a piracy shartfest, so thanks again for your help and 4 Day Weekend, I reckon you can probably sleep easy tonight knowing that your tenbux is safe bro.

I don't know how much easier I could have made it. It's the 4th goddamned result on Google, and if you missed the clue about "hunting for iso's" then I really don't know how much clearer we could have made it.

And, as you point out, if you've bought the key, it's a legit usage of the file. Just check the hashes before you install it.

Edit: I still don't understand how you can't get it directly from Microsoft, unless your ISP is powered by hamster wheels or your current setup is infested with gremlins.

wintermuteCF fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 30, 2009

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

nrr posted:

Congrats on being a complete douche when people are trying to help you without getting banned, especially during a "no poo poo we'll ban you for the slightest thing" week.

Anyway, does anybody know if you can hack Home Premium to host RDP sessions by copying files from Ultimate like you could in Vista?

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 30, 2009

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

I won't be able to get my MSDNAA key for Windows 7 until at least January but there are iso's of Windows 7 Ultimate on our windows shares at school.

Does 7 still run without a key?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

nrr posted:

How the gently caress do we know you bought a license? You sure as hell aren't willing to do any of the (absolutely minor) legwork to find what you claim you need, and a number of people have already told you how to find it. We're not babysitters, we're not here to hold your hand in the big bad world of torrents. And the thing is, by torrenting it, you're seeding it to people that most definitely don't have a key and aren't downloading it "legitimately", so cut the "I'm not doing anything illegal!" poo poo, because it's not true.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

drcru posted:

I won't be able to get my MSDNAA key for Windows 7 until at least January but there are iso's of Windows 7 Ultimate on our windows shares at school.

Yes.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Does anyone else have this issue when an executable is selected in the explorer:

I love Windows 7 a lot, but this icon problem is ruining my desktop experience!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any tips on getting a good black/dark title bar with Aero disabled? The glass wound up annoying me as visual clutter, but the standard blue non-Aero theme just looks so awful.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

ufarn posted:

Any tips on getting a good black/dark title bar with Aero disabled? The glass wound up annoying me as visual clutter, but the standard blue non-Aero theme just looks so awful.

Keep Aero on and untick transparency?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

nrr posted:

Wow, are you retarded or just really loving lazy?

I've been using W7 since the public beta and I never had any driver issues but since I installed W7 on my new laptop there have been a few nagging issues. It's an HP with the quicklaunch buttons and no matter what drivers I download from HP the functionality still isn't there. It allows me to change the volume but not adjust the base or launch media center. Also my track pads scroll section doesn't work. Has anyone else with HP computers had issues like this? They aren't big issues just things I would like to work.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

Codiusprime posted:

Wow, are you retarded or just really loving lazy?

I've been using W7 since the public beta and I never had any driver issues but since I installed W7 on my new laptop there have been a few nagging issues. It's an HP with the quicklaunch buttons and no matter what drivers I download from HP the functionality still isn't there. It allows me to change the volume but not adjust the base or launch media center. Also my track pads scroll section doesn't work. Has anyone else with HP computers had issues like this? They aren't big issues just things I would like to work.

Some people with Lenovo's seemed to get their buttons working by installing the Vista equivalent drivers. Worth a shot if you haven't tried.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

drcru posted:

It runs with no key for up to 120 days if you do rearming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Hack to enable remote desktop server in Home Premium, and/or concurrent connections :
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/79427.aspx?PageIndex=1

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 31, 2009