Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I absolutely loved Millenium (Sometimes called Millenium - Return to Earth). I re-play it every few years.

For those who never played it (likely most of you), an asteroid (or comet or something) has just struck the Earth and you and a few people on the small Moon Base are the only humans left. You must research technology, build the base, develop ships, colonize other places in the solar system and fight off the Martians (after all these years, I'm still not sure where they came from).

You zoom in an out of planets and moons in the solar system, which orbit. Your ships take longer depending on orbits, etc. There are a few places in the solar system you can settle and mine resources. The idea is to ultimately fight off the Martians and figure out how to recolonize Earth.

It was very cool in the sense that the game actually told you very little of what to do next. You kind of had to figure it out for yourself.

Anyway, are there any solar system sims out there? Something more granular than the 4x space games like Galactic Civilizations II and that type of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

So I havnt played a single player game in ages and I really want to play more of those. Ive been playing Everquest since 2001 and variouse other mmo's and I cant stop playing cuase I dont know any single player games. Preferably PC tho I have a 360. I kinda like rpg's and lots of weapons to choose from but not all dumb like obilvion. I liked katamari on the ps2 and braid was awesome. so something like that would be great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xenopax posted:

Games that I loved were Ultima V, Dark Queen of Krynn, and other games in those genres. Is there anything like that out there these days?

Dragon Age Origins is party-based and coming out very shortly. I'm not certain about user-created, though, it might only let you design one of them.

After that it depends on how recent you mean; Icewind Dale has an entirely user-created party by default, and Baldur's Gate II can have one if you use a workaround. (Although you miss out on all the NPC party members that way.)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lemonslol posted:

So I havnt played a single player game in ages and I really want to play more of those. Ive been playing Everquest since 2001 and variouse other mmo's and I cant stop playing cuase I dont know any single player games. Preferably PC tho I have a 360. I kinda like rpg's and lots of weapons to choose from but not all dumb like obilvion. I liked katamari on the ps2 and braid was awesome. so something like that would be great.

Have you thought about trying out System Shock 2?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Xenopax posted:

I'm missing the old SSI D&D video games where you got to create a party and dove into a dungeon. I really miss the following features:

* A user created party
* Turn based combat

Games that I loved were Ultima V, Dark Queen of Krynn, and other games in those genres. Is there anything like that out there these days?

The only games I can think of that fit this criteria are the Icewind Dale games. More loosely perhaps the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion, Storm of Zehir. Otherwise you're going back into older games, such as Wizardry 8. If we're REALLY turning back the clock, Dungeon Master and Dungeon Master 2 are the most literal... the entire game is creating a party and kicking a giant dungeon's rear end.

Bloodloss
Nov 6, 2007

Bloody fucking blood fuck.
I'm in the mood to play a good RPG. I want it to have choices and consequences - not just the illusion of choice you find in many RPGs these days, but choices that will actually affect things in a tangible way. A good storyline, good combat system (I prefer turn-based), good art style (not necessarily great graphics, I don't mind playing an old game), and good character customisation would all be big bonuses.

I haven't played many RPGs but I really loved Fallout 1, Final Fantasy 8 (completely different from what I've described but whatever), and Planescape: Torment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wanna play a game with randomised/procedurally generated levels/content that isn't a roguelike/dungeon crawler, or Spelunky, or Elite. Basically, I wanna see if anyone's taken the concept of randomised levels and applied it to something that relies more on skill and less on random drops or sta spreadsheets or whatever. It'd be nice if the randomly-created levels were actually fun, too, but this is more an intellectual exercise than anything else so just gimme what you've got.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Bloodloss posted:

I'm in the mood to play a good RPG. I want it to have choices and consequences - not just the illusion of choice you find in many RPGs these days, but choices that will actually affect things in a tangible way. A good storyline, good combat system (I prefer turn-based), good art style (not necessarily great graphics, I don't mind playing an old game), and good character customisation would all be big bonuses.

I haven't played many RPGs but I really loved Fallout 1, Final Fantasy 8 (completely different from what I've described but whatever), and Planescape: Torment.

Try The Witcher. It has its flaws like every game, but one of its colossal strengths is that the choices actually matter. Nearly every choice you make will have an effect somewhere later in the game; few choices are insignificant.

The combat system is pretty fun, but it is more action-y than RPG-like. The art style, while not crazy-innovative, is pretty, and the world is well designed. The character customization is pretty cool, though it's not quite to the degree of your usual D&D game.

I recommend reading the thread, since it can explain the game way better than I can.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bloodloss posted:

I have no idea if I'm wasting both our time recommending this, because it's not really what you asked for, but if you want proper choices and custom characters because they usually give such a strong sense of immersion, then I gotta say Persona 3 is very good. It's anime but the story, dialogue and characters are all amazing. Even the anime art is very good, and I usually hate that style.

It's mostly linear plotwise, so I dunno whether it's what you're interested in. But each day you can choose whether to stay home and study to improve your stats, go out battling demons in the tower, to hang out with one of the MANY friends you can make (who all have 10 'chapters' as the friendship advances), or fuse your many pokemon horrific demon minions into 2 or 3 awesome ones. None of this will have any effect on the story (except the friendships, kinda) but it gives a strong sense of immersion. Planescape: Torment is my favourite story-driven RPG but Persona3 actually comes close second. I also love Fallout btw.

The characters will also speak constantly to your silent protagonist, and although the answers you pick don't really affect anything, it does a good job of making you feel they do. As in, if you treat Mort like poo poo in PS:T, kill Dogmeat in Fallout, or are mean to Junpei in P3, then nothing will really change but you will feel like such a horrible rear end in a top hat.

edit: in Persona 4 the way you treat your party members affects their attitude toward you and their battle performance. I've not played it though so cannot recommend.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodloss posted:

Supposedly some of the seemingly unimportant choices you make in Mass Effect will have consequences in Mass Effect 2. I haven't played through the first one though, maybe someone else can vouch for it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Supposedly some of the seemingly unimportant choices you make in Mass Effect will have consequences in Mass Effect 2. I haven't played through the first one though, maybe someone else can vouch for it.

Since Mass Effect 2 isn't out yet, nobody can really say.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've got a rather vague request for ideas, a friend of mine is going through a kind of poo poo time and it helps her relax to watch someone else (me in this case) playing games. She likes watching people play expansive, engaging games, offhand I know she likes stuff like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

So, I'm trying to think of something I can pick up that I'd like to play that she can hang around and watch, I'd prefer an RPG or a actiony game that has a decent plot but isn't a pain in the rear end to play, when games get overly complex with too much poo poo going on at once to manage I tend to get frustrated and lose interest. And I think we'd prefer more of a Western-ish game than a jRPG.

I have a Wii and she has a PS3 and a 360, so any of the big three systems is fine. I was thinking of borrowing Assassin's Creed 2 from my mom to play but I'd like some other ideas since I haven't really been keeping up on releases lately.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wanna play a game with randomised/procedurally generated levels/content that isn't a roguelike/dungeon crawler, or Spelunky, or Elite. Basically, I wanna see if anyone's taken the concept of randomised levels and applied it to something that relies more on skill and less on random drops or sta spreadsheets or whatever. It'd be nice if the randomly-created levels were actually fun, too, but this is more an intellectual exercise than anything else so just gimme what you've got.

I don't know where you got the idea that roguelikes aren't about skill, but that said, maybe try a strategy game with random map generation, like Civ 4 or Alpha Centauri?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've got a rather vague request for ideas, a friend of mine is going through a kind of poo poo time and it helps her relax to watch someone else (me in this case) playing games. She likes watching people play expansive, engaging games, offhand I know she likes stuff like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

So, I'm trying to think of something I can pick up that I'd like to play that she can hang around and watch, I'd prefer an RPG or a actiony game that has a decent plot but isn't a pain in the rear end to play, when games get overly complex with too much poo poo going on at once to manage I tend to get frustrated and lose interest. And I think we'd prefer more of a Western-ish game than a jRPG.

I have a Wii and she has a PS3 and a 360, so any of the big three systems is fine. I was thinking of borrowing Assassin's Creed 2 from my mom to play but I'd like some other ideas since I haven't really been keeping up on releases lately.

I know it's not exactly what you asked about, but if she likes horror, the Silent Hill games are actually fun to watch. My wife and I alternated playing each game in the series. Plus we helped each other with the puzzles.

Otherwise, Mass Effect may be a good choice. It's got a great story.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Planescape: Torment maybe? My ex tried to play it and hated it because "IT'S TOO HARD THERE ARE TOO MANY PLACES TO GO", so I picked it up instead. By the time I finished it he was just as into it as I was, from watching it over my shoulder from time to time. He loved Morte so much.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So after playing Borderlands, I'm in love with the kind of "sci-fi meets the old west" setting. Are there any other games that combine those two elements, preferably with a gritty, run-down atmosphere?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

My buddy just got a PS3 for Christmas and we're looking for some good local co-op games. Don't care for sports and would prefer something that wasn't FPS.

LambdaZero
Nov 5, 2009

suck it
I'm gonna join in with the "I NEED A GAME" crowd here. I guess I'll just list the stuff I'm looking for.

- MMO, preferably RPG but that's not a big deal
- Low system requirements, I'm on a laptop with a 1.4Ghz processor and only onboard graphics
- Goon presence, Not a deal-breaker, but I have been combing the Games forum for a game I'd like

That's it, really. I thought it'd be longer, but anyway, I've found HellMOO and Dragonica already. I've already played Maple Story, and Runescape doesn't run well on this computer. So far it seems that HellMOO is my best bet, but I'm not experienced with text-based MMOs. That's a bit daunting.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Tesla333 posted:

I'm gonna join in with the "I NEED A GAME" crowd here. I guess I'll just list the stuff I'm looking for.

- Low system requirements, I'm on a laptop with a 1.4Ghz processor and only onboard graphics
- Goon presence, Not a deal-breaker, but I have been combing the Games forum for a game I'd like

That's it, really. I thought it'd be longer, but anyway, I've found HellMOO and Dragonica already. I've already played Maple Story, and Runescape doesn't run well on this computer. So far it seems that HellMOO is my best bet, but I'm not experienced with text-based MMOs. That's a bit daunting.
Just sign up for HellMOO and mess around with it, it's not that complicated once you get into it. Find someone that'll show you around the game and don't take it personally when you get murdered/raped.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tesla333 posted:

Maybe Air Rivals? I think it still has an active goon presence, the last time I played they had a voting majority in their nation (there are two nations in the game) and basically went around electing goons to positions of authority and making the other side miserable.

It's grindy as anything, but by free Korean MMO standards the gameplay is decent.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fumaofthelake posted:

My buddy just got a PS3 for Christmas and we're looking for some good local co-op games. Don't care for sports and would prefer something that wasn't FPS.

Well lessee there are the Pixeljunk games (Eden, Monsters, and Shooter). There's also the LEGO games (Indiana Jones 2 just came out). A game just came out on the PSN called...um...something something Wounded Dragon. The name escapes me at the moment, but it's a two-player side-scrolling fighting game. Also Super Stardust HD.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 8, 2010

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm looking for an RTS or RTT in a near-future setting. Something like Battlefield 2142 (setting, that is, not genre): conventional-style warfare with semi-futuristic technology, on Earth.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'd like to ask for recommendations for JRPGs that do NOT have random fights. I used to think I hate JRPGs, but after playing FFXII, I realized it's just that I hate the interruption of the random fight.

I'd like something preferably for the Wii or DS, or maybe the 360. From what I can remember, I've played Rune Factory on Wii, and a few of this type of game on DS, like Kingdom Hearts.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Can anyone recommend me a flight sim game such a freespace but with the resourse and pilot management of Mech Commander? Anything for the PS3, Wii, DS or PC

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Alright, I need a few good recommendations for either the PSP or the DS. (GBA is fine, if it's not a rare game)

I need a decent turned-based or action RPG, I don't play my handhelds very often but the girlfriend loves them. I would like something like Shining Soul II, Dark Cloud 2, or Zelda since those seem to be her favorite games.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rueish posted:

Alright, I need a few good recommendations for either the PSP or the DS. (GBA is fine, if it's not a rare game)

I need a decent turned-based or action RPG, I don't play my handhelds very often but the girlfriend loves them. I would like something like Shining Soul II, Dark Cloud 2, or Zelda since those seem to be her favorite games.

Advance Wars 1/2 (GBA) or Dual Strike.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Zedd posted:

Advance Wars 1/2 (GBA) or Dual Strike.

I guess I should mention that no recommendations for strategy rpgs akin to Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea and the like. I was meaning turned based like a JRPG, thanks though!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Rueish posted:

I guess I should mention that no recommendations for strategy rpgs akin to Advance Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea and the like. I was meaning turned based like a JRPG, thanks though!

You know what game I enjoyed on the DS? Suikoden Tierkreis. Even though it's a JRPG with random battles, it still did enough differently that it kept my interest through the end. I think this says a lot, because the last JRPG game I beat was... um...

Uh, crap. I had to've beaten one JRPG before. But I'm completely blanking, and I'm going back to SNES games here.

Well, if that's the first JRPG I've ever beaten, then that's saying even more. But I do have to admit, it was a pretty easy game. I mean, the other reason I had JRPGs is because I hate the level grind, but they got rid of the grind here by just making the game easier.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I was playing a Defense of the Ancients-esque game and it wasn't very much fun probably because I wasn't very good, and I was thinking how much better it would be as a first person shooter.

The closest thing I can think of is Command & Conquer: Renegade multiplayer, but that's lacking in people.

Is there such thing as a FPS DotA?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Serious Michael posted:

I was playing a Defense of the Ancients-esque game and it wasn't very much fun probably because I wasn't very good, and I was thinking how much better it would be as a first person shooter.

The closest thing I can think of is Command & Conquer: Renegade multiplayer, but that's lacking in people.

Closest thing I can think of is Savage or Savage 2. Both are now free to play online, I think there's some perks if you pay money though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm looking for an RTS or RTT in a near-future setting. Something like Battlefield 2142 (setting, that is, not genre): conventional-style warfare with semi-futuristic technology, on Earth.

Endwar is one possibility. CNC:Tiberian Sun (now freeware) and Tiberium Wars also do a decent job of near future warfare, but the environment might be too post-apocalyptic for you. Maybe even CNC:Generals Zero Hour for the American side at least.

Anyone have a recommendation for a game similar to Raptor: Call of the Shadows or Tyrian 2k that has the whole buying of weapons aspect. Preferably a newer game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Serious Michael posted:

Not an FPS, but Demigods allows you to play as Assassin-class characters, which makes the game more like a third-person action DOTA game. So you run around, the camera just behind your character, slicing up guys and using special abilities and so forth.

I have a bit of an odd request: after playing Penny Arcade Adventures (ffff when is Episode 3 going to come out), I found that aside from all the obvious pros that the game has going for it, what I really, really enjoyed about the title is that it truly appealed to the completionist within me. The game gave a checklist to you that basically told you what of the game you've completed: upgrading weaponry, characters that have reached max level, amount of enemies in the game that have been killed (there's a finite number), and so forth. And when you beat each of these, you got a little checkmark (including beating the game on the hardest difficulty). As a bonus, the game was relatively short, about 7-8 hours or so in one playthrough, if I remember right. I guess the best way to describe it is that the game never leaves you with any lingering questions about if you've done everything. And completing everything doesn't require you to be a 'sperger who levels up every character in every FF game to lvl 99 or anything like that.

Sorry if it feels like an odd request; it's hard to describe. Short, succint, checklist of accomplishments, oh, and preferably no missable content. Genre isn't too important to me, though this works best with adventure, action/adventure, or RPG stuff.

Note: Rogue Galaxy did this, but you've have to log a lot of time into it to accomplish it. Not something I'd look forward to.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
Looking for a LAN multiplayer game for my wife and I. I just bought Titan Quest: Immortal Throne from Steam for us for just this reason, but LAN games don't loving work and there's no help out there. Hopefully it would be an RPG type game.

Thanks!

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
My dad is looking for a 360 game he can enjoy. He mostly plays sports games, but for reference, he got GTAIV and hated it because it was hard and unfun and he died too much, but then got SR2 on my recommendation and loved it because it was fun, easy, immediately rewarding, and he could just pick it up and mess around whenever.
Are there any other games out there that are simple-fun like SR2? I can't think of anything besides maybe Fable 2.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I'd recommend Red Faction: Guerilla but it's probably on par with GTAIV if not harder. It does have adjustable difficulty, though, so you could just turn it down to Easy.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Are there any good tower defense games around? I really enjoyed Pixel Junk Monsters, but I don't have a PS3. (Played at a friend's house.)

Defense Grid is cool, but I don't like the way that your energy can get picked up by a fresh enemy and there's no way to destroy that enemy in time to save it.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

ExtraNoise posted:

Are there any good tower defense games around? I really enjoyed Pixel Junk Monsters, but I don't have a PS3. (Played at a friend's house.)

Defense Grid is cool, but I don't like the way that your energy can get picked up by a fresh enemy and there's no way to destroy that enemy in time to save it.

I haven't played a lot of tower defense games, but if you have a DS you should definitely check out Lock's Quest. I found it for $15 at Best Buy and it's well worth that price.

Lord Nelson
Jan 11, 2006
My friends and I have been trying to find a game to pick up and play when we can't actually meet up. Can anyone recommend us a game with co-op/multiplayer similar to Diablo II, L4D, or Borderlands, something we can pick up and play without needing a ton of grinding?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
There isn't a co-op strategy RPG out there, is there? I mean I suppose we could always play Final Fantasy Tactics, divide up the characters, and pass the controller, but is there any sort of SRPG designed for co-op play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoaoLangston
Jul 24, 2006
I'm looking for a sci-fi RTS. All I know that it isn't based on the Spring Engine, has a small but dedicated fan-base and takes ages to learn while you have to study on tutorials to be tested on.